HELP! white slime/gunk

Does anyone know, without further details, what this might be on our spa filter? Our water looks clear and is not foul smelling but our filter has become clogged with this twice in the past 3 months and even when it looks clean and doesn't have obvious buildup we are getting a low flow error and having to replace our filters weekly.

TIA.

Julia

Screenshot_20190430-143226_Photos.jpg

• 11 months later...

Bacterial growth in the pipes. I still remember the first time I saw it nearly 25 years ago. Bacteria was not my guess! 🤢

Superchlorinate to 30 ppm with 2 cups liquid chlorine (not household bleach) to kill it off. Wait for chlorine level to come down. Use Ahhsome cleaner. Drain and refill. Keep your chlorine at 3-5ppm. You will never see it again.

superchlorination (decon) may not be sufficient for this.  you probably need a serious purge.  looks like biofilms to me, along with some skin oils or lotions or other residue from bathing (even fabric softener on swim suits).  RD is right -- get some "ahh-some" and follow the label directions for a complete purge

• 1 year later...

At the factory, after building the spa, they fill it to test it for leaks and operation. After draining it (into the next spa in line) there is water left inside of the pipes. It is then stored (indoors or out) for some unknown period before being shipped on the back of a truck across the country, or farther. Plenty of time for all sorts of nasties to grow in there.

You would be shocked what comes out of a new spa on deliveries. Many dealers unwrap at the store and set it up on its side to let the putrid slime run out where the buyer can't see or smell it. It's NASTY.

• 5 months later...

Just received new spa and set it up.  Filled with water and waited for the heat.  Jets quit working and filter filled with white slime.  Cleaned filter then looked this up on internet.  How do I get rid of slime.  Do I need to empty the spa and do what the dealers do?  Is there an easier way?  Need help please.

The best advice is already in this thread.  Purge with ahh some and scoop/wipe out the scum that comes out of your plumbing and drain and refill.  You may have to do this several times, but if new, I would hope that once should do it.  After that, never let your sanitizer go to zero and you should never have to see this stuff again.

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 6:10 AM, Lisac444 said:

My spa is brand new and I had this on the filter after 1 day. How can it be bacteria build up? We haven’t even used it!!!! 

Its not bacteria its your hard water if you were to take a cup or even a pit of water and boil it eventually you would see the white minerals collecting at the bottom and its what is clogging your spa filter

• 1 year later...

I have tried the above and still get this white scum on my hot tub filter. I have changed the water, have done the superchlorination and it comes back. I have well water that runs through a softener. The water sees okay until I start testing and adding PH etc based on testing. Then the water clouds up and thus the white bacteria comes back. Could it be something in the actual well water? 

24 minutes ago, dana hatch said:

I have well water that runs through a softener. The water sees okay until I start testing and adding PH etc based on testing. Then the water clouds up

Doesn't sound like bacteria. Sounds more like a water balance issue. Please post a full set of test results (sanitizer, pH, total alkalinity, CH, and, if you are using chlorine, the cyanuric acid (stabilizer). You said you are filling with softened water so I assume you are adding calcium and you said the problem starts when you adjust the pH (are you raising it or lowering it?) when the problem occurs. Clouding can occur if the water is not balanced in the correct order if you have high calcium and high pH and high alkalinity which can cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out of the water causing the water to cloud.

As I said, post a full set of test results (preferably NOT done with strips) and we can take it from there.