Assistance with small leak

rvrtrpn2002

Hello,

I have a Sundance Palermo and have noticed a small leak that is getting worse.  The leak is located at the plastic attachment on a black box behind my control box.  There are two nuts that can be tighten by an Allen wrench, but that has not stopped the leak.

I believe the hose is coming from the circulating pump.  I'm curious what this is for?  Can I remove the two Allen wrenches and swap out a seal or seal it with an epoxy?  Would the spa need to be drained or if the pump is not active would I be able to remove this while full?

Attached are some pictures to help.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Hot tub.jpg

Hottub2.jpg

hottub3.jpg

I can't see the leak in the pictures, however I can tell you that the trombone style heater in your photo has a fitting that connects it to the bleed lines.  The fitting, which is made of nylon, breaks very easily, especially when you're trying to replace the circ pump.

You can remove the hose and plug the hole and plug the hose.  I don't remember the size of the fitting off the top of my head, I think it might be a 3/8" hole.

Thanks for the reply. 

I had to use a mirror because the leak is behind the control box.  I've placed the arrow where the leak is coming from - it's coming from the seams where two small bolts that hold a connector (with a hose attached) in place.  Once I pop those two bolts off, I'm curious what is behind it and if the black plastic connector is replaceable or if its something that can be sealed and re-bolted with a waterproof sealant.

hottub.jpg

Sorry, I haven't got any old heaters around the shop to dissect to see what's in there.     I've never tried to repair one of those, I'd just replace the heater.  I don't know how old your tub is, but if you get 7 or 8 years out of a heater you're doing pretty good. 

The amount of labor to remove it, attempt a repair, re-install it and than find out it still leaks would be more expensive to my customer than the cost of replacing the heater with a new one that will give them 5-7 years of trouble free service.  Plus, if the gasket is old enough to wear out, than the heater is probably at end of life and you'd be replacing it in a year or two anyway.  Of course, your labor is free so you may feel differently.

You wouldn't have to drain the tub, get a couple of 3/4" plugs from home depot and plug the hoses when you disconnect them.  You might warm the hoses with a heat gun before you try to pull them off, you'll save yourself a lot of struggling and maybe even prevent breaking something.

Dave

The 6500-402 unit probably won't have the barb like your old one, so you'll have to plug the hose.  You can use a stainless steel 5/6" bold with a high shoulder and some teflon tape, plus a #4 stainless steel hose clamp.

You'll also probably have to unscrew the electronics pack from the bottom of the tub so you can angle the heater to get it out.  Careful with the high limit sensor and any other wires flitting around inside there.

Dave

• 3 years later...

I'm having the exact same problem.

I took the heater off and replaced the rubber gasket between that bolted on fitting and the heater, but to no avail.

Apparently, the heater has an internal gasket just before that fitting that has deteriorated allowing water to leak out of an intentional drain relief.  Looks like there is such an indent just before and just after that fitting.  No way to get in there and replace that gasket without destroying the heater box.  I tried sealing it up with some automotive goop and duct tape, but that only held for 5 minutes until it sprang a leak.  Maybe that's a safety thing as well to keep water out of where the wires connect through.  Not sure.  Anyway.  I might have reassembled too soon after putting in the goop.  Might try epoxy or flex seal glue/tape next.   New heater is $170, and I'm not sure this tub is worth spending that much to fix.

52 minutes ago, DaveBo said:

Anyway.  I might have reassembled too soon after putting in the goop.  Might try epoxy or flex seal glue/tape next.   New heater is $170, and I'm not sure this tub is worth spending that much to fix.

$170 to fix is not a ton; consider that a new cover could be $400....

• 1 month later...

My leak is something more significant.    I bought a house with an as-is Sundance Polermo hot tub.   I was able to fill it above the jets and the water held.  I fired it up got an f1 code but more importantly water began to pour out of the tub at the bottom ….  I unscrewed all sides but insulation on all sides prevents closer inspection.   I suspect I’d need to dig out the insulation to find the source unless I’m doing something really dumb.  Any thoughts?