Spa Marvel Or Aquafinesse?

Just bought a Hot Tub and looking for the ideal treatment plan. My spa dealer sold me on Aquafinesse but a friend swears be Spa Marvel, and considering Spa Marvel is much cheaper I'm am looking into it.

Does anyone have experience with both? Are there any significant differences besides the price? Thanks!

Aquafinesse uses surfactants and chemicals that disrupt biofilms while SpaMarvel uses enzymes to help break down bather waste. Neither one is a disinfectant and neither one is EPA-approved as such. If you use either system without using a disinfectant, then you are taking a risk. There are only four EPA approved disinfectant chemicals for spas: chlorine, bromine, Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB and Nature2 (silver ions) with MPS.

If you properly manage your spa, then neither product should be necessary. If you do not have an ozonator, then you could consider Spa Marvel to be supplemental oxidation with its enzymes, but such enzymes will not last very long in a chlorinated spa so you'll have to keep adding the product and its expensive. As for Aquafinesse, you shouldn't get any biofilms forming if you properly maintain chlorine levels so you would look at this product only as insurance if you were to let the chlorine level get too low -- again, an extra expense you don't need.

Ok then, let me ask you this. My primary reason for choosing these products came from my search to find soft and chemical free, or near chemical free sanitization. (I am new to hot tubs) My son reacts to chlorine, also I want to try and eliminate the dryness and itchiness that comes from bathing, especially in the winter. Are these products capable of providing such a solution?

I don't have the tub yet, but it does have an ozonater. And I plan to use bromine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok then, let me ask you this. My primary reason for choosing these products came from my search to find soft and chemical free, or near chemical free sanitization. (I am new to hot tubs) My son reacts to chlorine, also I want to try and eliminate the dryness and itchiness that comes from bathing, especially in the winter. Are these products capable of providing such a solution?

In a word NO!

I don't have the tub yet, but it does have an ozonater. And I plan to use bromine.

Don't need ozone. Bromine works fine without it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Take a look at your water quality report (or tell us where you live and I can look it up). If your water district is using chlorine for disinfection, then that might be irritating to your son's skin especially if they are using a higher level. Note that in the spa you would use Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and that significantly lowers the active chlorine level and we could set it up to be an even lower level in your case if necessary. Another possibility is that your water district is using chloramination (monochloramine) and that can also be irritating to some in rare cases. Again, the spa will not have much in chloramines if properly managed.

Bromine can be irritating to some as well so you are certainly welcome to try it, but I would not make the assumptions you have made about chlorine without knowing exactly what is in your bath water.

If your son is truly sensitive to halogens in general, so both chlorine and bromine, then there are two other alternatives. One is Nature2 with MPS. Just note that MPS can also be irritating though with the silver ions from Nature2 there are usually less issues. The last safe EPA-approved option is Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB where you use hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer. That is probably the least irritating, but is expensive and requires extra care to prevent white water mold though that's less common in spas because you regularly change the water.

To be clear, its the chemical in the local Swimming pool that he reacts too, bath water is not an issue. Also, I only assume they use chlorine. I will inquire to be certain. We are in Hamilton, Ontario.

I appreciate all the feedback, and from all this I am reading that the use of things like Spa Marvel or aquafinesse are simply just gimmicks and offer no value add to maintaining a spa?

To be clear, its the chemical in the local Swimming pool that he reacts too, bath water is not an issue. Also, I only assume they use chlorine. I will inquire to be certain. We are in Hamilton, Ontario.

It could also be the pH of the water. That is much more likely. Is this pool indoors or outdoors. Indoor pools are not stabilized and the chlorine is much more 'aggressive". They might also use MPS as a shock treatment and that is a known sensitizer.

I appreciate all the feedback, and from all this I am reading that the use of things like Spa Marvel or aquafinesse are simply just gimmicks and offer no value add to maintaining a spa?

Basically yes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried aquafinesse. My observations are:

-Expensive

-comes with insufficient chlorine tabs (you still have 1/3 of the liquid left once that tabs are gone)

-chlorine dispenser too small (holds one tab, not even one and a half, so the first tab must be COMPLETELY gone before adding another)

-chlorine dispenser not adjustable

-dealer lied and said chlorine not required, only added in north america because legally required. This product does not work AT ALL without the chlorine, so forget about "chemical free"

-Not necessary. The chlorine does the sanitizing, the magic liquid "elimininates biofilm" (and smells nice - the salesman will always want you to smell it). If the tub is sanitized properly, there will not be a biofilm to eliminate.

I switched to chlorine alone. My tub is just as nice as it was with aquafinesse.

I believe the chlorine-free claims presume that one has an ozonator. Otherwise, bather waste (urea, ammonia, creatinine, etc.) will build up in the spa since AquaFinesse does not oxidize or aid in the oxidation of bather waste. Nevertheless, it is not a disinfectant so will not kill pathogens that could be transmitted from person-to-person and is why it is not approved by the EPA in the U.S. nor by Health Canada in Canada for use by itself in any commercial or public pool or spa.

As for the local swimming pool, it may not be using Cyanuric Acid (CYA), especially if it is an indoor pool, so the chlorine would not be moderated in its strength. CYA significantly moderates chlorine strength. 2 ppm FC with 40 ppm CYA in a hot spa has the same active chlorine level as 0.25 ppm FC with no CYA at hot (104ºF) spa temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to ever challenge anything chem geek says but I like aqua finesse...

Professionals call it a gimmick but I put my own mother on the product. Easier to manage, obviously you need EPA sanitizer as the box includes chlorine, water feels more soft and smells better and I find less ph imbalance. She has used it for 3 years...I don't understand the enzymes with spa marvel...I asked he sales rep how it worked with ozone and chlorine when they would kill the enzyms and she story I got told sounded like i was being sold magic beans. Aqua finesse is a crutch for inexperienced hot tub owners to have a easier time and soften the water...if your dealer is giving you the product i would try it.