What Color Stain?

jwillard

Just asking for opinions...what color would you stain the step if you didnt want to go with a grey stain?

If you look close at the pictures you will notice I did the patio long before I even decide to buy a spa. Once the spa was in, I closed in the remaining area with decking on the sides closest to the house. This deck also needs to be stained. I dont think a grey stain would really compliment the wood that is enclosing the pavers. I originally wanted to stain the wood around the pavers a darker color but hadnt really decided on that either.

any suggestions?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Maybe white? Stain the wooden trim around the pavers white too? Might give it a nice clean cottage look? I don't know how well white would hold up though.

If you go dark, I would go very dark, as in a dark Mahogony color (As opposed to more of a brown.)

Just my .2 cents.

Maybe white? Stain the wooden trim around the pavers white too? Might give it a nice clean cottage look? I don't know how well white would hold up though.

If you go dark, I would go very dark, as in a dark Mahogony color (As opposed to more of a brown.)

Just my .2 cents.

My 4 cents says go with a grey stain that matches the spa fairly well.

The problem with presure treated is the green screws up most stains.

I believe that Super Deck has developed some stains to match pressure treated to "normal" colors.

http://superdeck.com

A rule of thumb with designers (I have a girlfriend that loves to watch them dang designer shows), is if you can't match a color perfectly, go with something totally different that's either contrasting or complimentary. If the color is only close, it tends to look rather odd. And I'd test a small spot on the bottom before committing. That PT green might cause some issues.

So neon purple it is then!

A rule of thumb with designers (I have a girlfriend that loves to watch them dang designer shows), is if you can't match a color perfectly, go with something totally different that's either contrasting or complimentary. If the color is only close, it tends to look rather odd. And I'd test a small spot on the bottom before committing. That PT green might cause some issues.

So neon purple it is then!

I think he should paint the spa "caboose red" and it would look good next to the house.

My 4 cents says go with a grey stain that matches the spa fairly well.

I agree Spatech, I think grey is the best choice, but Jiwllard was specific about not going grey. Jwillard if you're up for chaning your mind, I too vote grey :)

As far as staining on PT, it can be done. Most of the home centers have a display illustrating the color of the stain when applied to different woods. A decent speciality paint store can custom mix a nice stain for you in the exact color you want for a specific type of wood. The key here is to make sure you see what the stain looks like on your particiluar type of wood. You can have a siginificant difference when staining PT vs Cedar.

The age of the wood will also make a difference. The stain going on the new steps will look different than the weathered PT around the walkways and patio, so be careful. I'd also recomend a quick powerwash to the older wood before staining.

I agree Spatech, I think grey is the best choice, but Jiwllard was specific about not going grey. Jwillard if you're up for chaning your mind, I too vote grey :)

As far as staining on PT, it can be done. Most of the home centers have a display illustrating the color of the stain when applied to different woods. A decent speciality paint store can custom mix a nice stain for you in the exact color you want for a specific type of wood. The key here is to make sure you see what the stain looks like on your particiluar type of wood. You can have a siginificant difference when staining PT vs Cedar.

The age of the wood will also make a difference. The stain going on the new steps will look different than the weathered PT around the walkways and patio, so be careful. I'd also recomend a quick powerwash to the older wood before staining.

Thanks all for the comments...I also agree grey would be the best choice but wasnt sure how I would tie everything else in that I have had going toward a differant color scheme. Like I stated I started the patio project long before I even thought about a spa.

This is also a thing people need to take into fact when deciding to buy from Costco...your color selection is nile, but that was something I knew going in. Was basically just fishing to see what others thought.

Yeah...I have stained some other pressure treated projects I have made and can see how the stain reacts depending on the age, weathered, etc of the wood.

Thanks again all for your input...looks like grey it is...now I just need to decide on which one best matches the panels of the spa.

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to season the treated wood for a year to get rid of the green.

Yeah...no hurry to stain it yet and I still am not sure what color. Grey would be the obvious but since I am going to be painting the house here soon I have some time to think. Just working on my arbor which in time I will stain as well.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That is a great setup!

Thanks soakerman! Its always a work in progress...but its rewarding when you sit in your tub and look at all the stuff you have accomplished.

No mud and snow here...just Florida sunshine!! :) Keep that stuff where you live Roger! ;)