Opinions On Emerald Spas

BruceRN

I haven't wet tested yet but I plan to this weekend. I'm looking at the M870 which is an eight person with no lounger and 70 jets. There are a lot of things I like about this spa. The shell is very strong. Insulation is foam but not full foam. The warranty is 25 structure, 7 surface and 5 equipment. With intensive foot massage and LED lighting the price will be about $9,300 including top, steps and delivery. I don't plan on getting the $1,400 stereo. Does this seem reasonable?

I've done a search on this forum and Emerald has not been discussed too frequently. Any owners out their that can give me their opinion?

Also, this dealer has been selling Emerald for about 6 years and is about 10 miles from my house. I am in the northwest corner of Rhode Island and I did a search at Emerald's website for Emerald dealers around Hartford, CT and Boston and it doesn't look like there are any. Should the lack of other dealers in my area also factor into my decision on whether to buy an Emerald (in case the place I am buying from goes out of business)?

Sorry about all the questions but I am new at this and I don't want to make a bad decision.

Thanks in advance, Bruce

I haven't wet tested yet but I plan to this weekend. I'm looking at the M870 which is an eight person with no lounger and 70 jets. There are a lot of things I like about this spa. The shell is very strong. Insulation is foam but not full foam. The warranty is 25 structure, 7 surface and 5 equipment. With intensive foot massage and LED lighting the price will be about $9,300 including top, steps and delivery. I don't plan on getting the $1,400 stereo. Does this seem reasonable?

I've done a search on this forum and Emerald has not been discussed too frequently. Any owners out their that can give me their opinion?

Also, this dealer has been selling Emerald for about 6 years and is about 10 miles from my house. I am in the northwest corner of Rhode Island and I did a search at Emerald's website for Emerald dealers around Hartford, CT and Boston and it doesn't look like there are any. Should the lack of other dealers in my area also factor into my decision on whether to buy an Emerald (in case the place I am buying from goes out of business)?

Sorry about all the questions but I am new at this and I don't want to make a bad decision.

Thanks in advance, Bruce

I think $9300 is a good price, but more importantly do YOU feel this is a good value for you? If you have a dealer that is close to you, I would not worry about the lack of dealers in other areas. If your dealer does go out of business, most manufacturers will still back the warranty. Emerald has a very good reputation (from what I've heard and seen) about taking care of their customers.

I've had my Emerald for about 6 years, and I love it! It is a beefy looking spa with lots of jets! And the warranty is good. Although I have not needed any service as of yet.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. Six years and no service yet? That's great!

If I am happy with the wet test I will probably order this weekend. Emerald seems like a very good spa. It's just not a big manufacturer like Jacuzzi and Hot Springs.

A few days ago I emailed Emerald with a few questions which lead to more questions and resulted in quite a few emails going back and forth. I also emailed Hot Springs and Arctic at about the same time with questions and those emails have gone unanswered so far.

Thanks again for the info Veeper. One other question. One thing about the Emerald Spas that I do not like is the fact that it has a pressure treated wood plywood base. I would think that some sort of poly or fiberglass base would be preferable (which some other brands use). My spa will be sitting on a concrete pad outside and I would think that plywood, even pressure treated, might rot with rain and an occasional leak. What is your experience with your Emerald Spa?

Bruce

PS one last question that hopefully won't offend you but I need to ask, you are not an Emerald dealer are you?

BruceRN,

Your welcome for the info.

In response to your questions, No I have not had any issues with the pressure-treated base. I know that it would be nice to have a plastic base, but I am satisfied with the quality of the Emerald. They are not a large manufacturer, but I really liked the fact that they custom make the spas for each customer.

And, no offense taken, I am not an Emerald dealer. Just another fan and user of a spa.

Good luck this weekend.

I also emailed ... Arctic at about the same time with questions and those emails have gone unanswered so far.

I emailed Bruce on February 23, 2007 1:39:48 PM MST (CA)

My opinion on Emerald is keep shopping. They use cheap parts to build their spas.

I agree. They used to use very good equipment. I think they had a change of management.

We used to sell them back in the 90's and have a lot of customers who love them and very few problems with the better parts.

My opinion on Emerald is keep shopping. They use cheap parts to build their spas.

I think Emeral makes an OK spa. They are not one of my top 10 but close. I also think that price is a bit high. They do have solid constrution, as good a warranty as most others, and great customer service. But they components are in the middle of the road and not high end. That thing should be priced at 7500 or so.

Roger:

What tub brands would you consider to include high-end components?

Bruce

In no particular order, based on reliability, performance and comfort and of course dealer reputation which could change from dealer to dealer. Dimension One, Maquis, Arctic, Hot Springs, Sundance, Caldera, Vita and there are several others. What brands are in our area?

NE Spas is about 30 miles from me and the Pool Source is about 20 miles from me. They both sell Hot Spring and NE Spas also sells Sundance. I have read good things about NE Spas on another forum. I am presently trying to get a good deal on a Vanguard. Arctic is about an hours drive away and I have ruled them out as being too far. I am in the northwest corner of Rhode Island. I had come close to purchasing the Emerald but I have been hesitant since I had not heard much about them (neither good or bad) and I don't want to make a costly mistake. The Vanguard is approximately $8,500 with all the extras and I am trying to negotiate that price down as I don't think it is all that great of a price.

Bruce

I am trying to negotiate that price down as I don't think it is all that great of a price.

Bruce

If they won't budge on price the next approach would be to try to get them to throw in other items you need/want such as 6 months worth of chems, a lifter, etc. you need them anyway and the dealer doesn't have to drop the price. This is a method that I've seen close a final gap (assuming it's not a major gap) in many deals that usually works well for both sides.

That $8,500 Vanguard deal includes the cover, delivery, 3cd ozone, subpanel, cover lifter covermate I-universal, steps (durastep portobello) and starter kit chlorine. I just received an email and they don't appear that they will budge from that price. How much would adding 6 months of chemicals to the deal be worth? In other words how much would it cost me to purchase them? Also one other question. I've seen some pretty crappy looking steps for hot tubs. Are there steps made by Hot Spring that I may request in the deal that may look better and be better quality? One final question. There is a home show this weekend at the University of Rhode Island. I plan on going there as last year they had quite a few hot tubs on display. Can you get a better deal at a home show? Thanks in advance for the info.

Bruce

That $8,500 Vanguard deal includes the cover, delivery, 3cd ozone, subpanel, cover lifter covermate I-universal, steps (durastep portobello) and starter kit chlorine. I just received an email and they don't appear that they will budge from that price. How much would adding 6 months of chemicals to the deal be worth? In other words how much would it cost me to purchase them? Also one other question. I've seen some pretty crappy looking steps for hot tubs. Are there steps made by Hot Spring that I may request in the deal that may look better and be better quality? One final question. There is a home show this weekend at the University of Rhode Island. I plan on going there as last year they had quite a few hot tubs on display. Can you get a better deal at a home show? Thanks in advance for the info.

Bruce

I'm sure they have better steps. Typically the deal is for basic steps and most don't want to pony up for upgraded ones but they'll have 'em.

Price of 6 months chems? That really depends on what they offer.

As far as home shows. The good thing there is seeing different spas. However, they pay the same for the spa and then have to pay for their space on top of the fact they have a showroom (and if they aren't local, avoid them, you don't want to buy from a traveling road show) so I can't imagine you'll get any better deal there but again, you get to see a varity of spas when searching.