New Cover Expectations!

I recently bought a 5 y/o marquis spirit. The cover seemed to be in good shape except the perimeter of the rounded corners did not to seal tightly. I could see light and steam coming out of the cover at night if the spa light was on. Being as I live in California and I pay .38 cents a KWH to heat my tub I thought a new cover would be a wise investment. I know RHtubs is highly recommended around here but i went with Spa Depot as they have been great with other supplies I have ordered.

Well today the cover came in. I am not pleased with it at all. The 5 y/o cover seems to have a better fit and seal to it. I ordered the new cover with all the upgrades for a price of $490. The "full length hinge seal" has a large gap in it. This gap is large enough that I can see all the way through and out the other side of the cover and I can easily get my thumb in there. The perimeter of the rounded corners don't seal as well as the 5 y/o cover either. in general it seems to be inferior in every aspect when compared to the original marquis cover, which by all measures seams to be of good quality.

Before I call Spa Depot and tell them of my dissatisfaction I wanted to know if my expectations were unreasonable in the opinion of the members here. The whole hot tub thing is new to me. I thought a quality tub cover should pretty much have a hermetic seal to it. Spa Depot advertised this cover with an R 26 factor, how can that be when it is not sealing to the acrylic and there is a wide gap in the hinge?

I feel the original 5 y/o cover will insulate better than this new one I bought and will continue to use the old cover. Are these issues that I would have if I bought another cover from Dr. Spa?

Unless I here from members of this forum telling me my expectations are out of line I plan to call Spa Depot, the BBB, and my credit card company. I know I will probably have to eat the $500 for the cover but I will raise hell about it.

I should have listened to the Dr. and ordered from Roberts.

The corners not sealing could be a couple of things. It's possible the top of the spa isn't flat, hence a flat cover wont seal to it. It's also possible the foam in the cover has warped (sometimes you can flip the foam to cure this....I wouldn't do so without talking to the manufacturer first).

re: the hinge seal. Heck no there shouldn't be a gap. The WHOLE idea it to fill the area completely to prevent heat loss.

I question the R value, but without knowing what you have, foam thickness and density, I can't say for sure. I see on their website they claim an R-21 on a 5x3, 1.5 pound foam... The only way to get this high an R value is to use a non-standard ASTM testing method. For comparison purposes, the cover has an R value of about R-17 or 18 using the standard ATSM testing procedure (which is what most companies use).

Thanks for the quick response Dr. Spa. I was also starting to think the issue with the perimeter seal might be uneven acrylic. Could I use one of your 1/4 inch foam blankets to take care of that? I guess I would have to affix a blanket to the bottom of the entire cover to get a good seal.

As far as Spa Depot's covers go the only thing that is good about them is there marketing and website. I bought the "upgraded" #2 5x3 cover with double core wrap "R24". They claim the double core vapor barrier adds R2 due to the dead air space between the wrapping. I was a sucker and got taken. You would not believe the size of this hole in the hinge "seal".

Like I said they will hear about from me.

Thanks for the quick response Dr. Spa. I was also starting to think the issue with the perimeter seal might be uneven acrylic. Could I use one of your 1/4 inch foam blankets to take care of that?

Nope, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

As far as Spa Depot's covers go the only thing that is good about them is there marketing and website. I bought the "upgraded" #2 5x3 cover with double core wrap "R24". They claim the double core vapor barrier adds R2 due to the dead air space between the wrapping.

This is the BIGGEST crock of *@ I've ever heard. First off, there is NO space between the double core vapor barrier. NONE, NADA, BUPKIS! Second. The polyethylene only has an R value of 0.85. This is regardless of the thickness (thicker doesn't increase the R value) and adding additional layers wont make any difference.

Hummm....this morning I replied to this thread. I mentioned I liked the cover I bought from SpaDepot and that it has held up well for 3 years.

Now I see my comment is gone. Is there a glitch or was it deleted? Although it was my first post to this forum, I can't think of any reason it would have been deleted. It was simply my review of a product.

Anyway, if it was deleted please let me know why. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like.

Take care.

That's the thing, as it was your first post to the forum, and with the content of it, the post appeared to be a total sales pitch, AKA spam.

Add to that, that you came back to this thread for no reason, but to check on it.....even more likely spam

That's the thing, as it was your first post to the forum, and with the content of it, the post appeared to be a total sales pitch, AKA spam.

Add to that, that you came back to this thread for no reason, but to check on it.....even more likely spam

Maybe it sounded like a sales pitch. But I have no connection with SpaDepot other than I'm a happy customer.

I came back to see if there was any response. I was curious if anyone else has a negative or positive experience with a SpaDepot cover. Maybe too, because it was my first post I was curious if there was any negative or positive response in general. I was quite surprised to find my post zapped without any notification or warning. Not much of a welcome IMHO, but I know bulletin board moderation isn't easy.

I'm a bit surprised I have to prove who I am or why I'm here, but I'll post a thread with a brief introduction.

See ya on the flip side.

I recently bought a 5 y/o marquis spirit. The cover seemed to be in good shape except the perimeter of the rounded corners did not to seal tightly. I could see light and steam coming out of the cover at night if the spa light was on. Being as I live in California and I pay .38 cents a KWH to heat my tub I thought a new cover would be a wise investment. I know RHtubs is highly recommended around here but i went with Spa Depot as they have been great with other supplies I have ordered.

Well today the cover came in. I am not pleased with it at all. The 5 y/o cover seems to have a better fit and seal to it. I ordered the new cover with all the upgrades for a price of $490. The "full length hinge seal" has a large gap in it. This gap is large enough that I can see all the way through and out the other side of the cover and I can easily get my thumb in there. The perimeter of the rounded corners don't seal as well as the 5 y/o cover either. in general it seems to be inferior in every aspect when compared to the original marquis cover, which by all measures seams to be of good quality.

Before I call Spa Depot and tell them of my dissatisfaction I wanted to know if my expectations were unreasonable in the opinion of the members here. The whole hot tub thing is new to me. I thought a quality tub cover should pretty much have a hermetic seal to it. Spa Depot advertised this cover with an R 26 factor, how can that be when it is not sealing to the acrylic and there is a wide gap in the hinge?

I feel the original 5 y/o cover will insulate better than this new one I bought and will continue to use the old cover. Are these issues that I would have if I bought another cover from Dr. Spa?

Unless I here from members of this forum telling me my expectations are out of line I plan to call Spa Depot, the BBB, and my credit card company. I know I will probably have to eat the $500 for the cover but I will raise hell about it.

I should have listened to the Dr. and ordered from Roberts.

After probably 15-20 covers ordered by myself or my customers from the Doc not one customer or me dissatisfied.

Ok so I called spa depot today about the hinge seal and they requested an emailed photo which I just sent. I tried to upload it here, but was having difficulties. Hopefully they stand behind there product. Every good company has one person with a sloppy work ethic, maybe that person put together my hinge seal. We will see what they say. If it is not corrected I will find a way to post pictures of this cover, all of the cover so other people here will know what they are getting if they order from SpaDepot.

Maybe it sounded like a sales pitch. But I have no connection with SpaDepot other than I'm a happy customer.

I came back to see if there was any response. I was curious if anyone else has a negative or positive experience with a SpaDepot cover. Maybe too, because it was my first post I was curious if there was any negative or positive response in general. I was quite surprised to find my post zapped without any notification or warning. Not much of a welcome IMHO, but I know bulletin board moderation isn't easy.

I'm a bit surprised I have to prove who I am or why I'm here, but I'll post a thread with a brief introduction.

See ya on the flip side.

I got a bit busy with some other stuff, so it took me longer than I thought it would to post my intro.

Glad to hear Spa Depot was responsive to your concerns. Hopefully the first cover was a abnormality and the new one a better fit.

FYI. Here's my original, and deleted, review of my Spa Depot cover...

I like SpaDepot. I've been ordering spa filters, chemicals and supplies from them for years.

When it came time to replace the cover on my 15 year old Saratoga Spa Clarendon I ordered one from SpaDepot. I got just the standard core but had it double-wrapped and built with the optional energy shield underside. It was $420 (including shipping) for the 78" x 84" cover.

That was almost 3 years ago. The pad is still lightweight with no signs of water logging. No signs of deterioration, tears or stitching wear either. Other than some slight fading around the bottom edges of the hinge, it looks brand new.

It doesn't have a full length hinge pad, but the two pads at the ends seem to do an excellent job of blocking any leaks. The perimeter seal is also excellent. No leaks and it fits so well we normally have to pick it by a corner in order to "break the seal."

No complains whatsoever.

I'd say give them a call and see what they can do for you to remedy the problem.

I am tending to agree with Dr. Spa on this. Starting to look like spam. How convenient to have a backup of your post to repost here. I have unapproved it this time!

See ya on the flip side.

I got a bit busy with some other stuff, so it took me longer than I thought it would to post my intro.

Glad to hear Spa Depot was responsive to your concerns. Hopefully the first cover was a abnormality and the new one a better fit.

FYI. Here's my original, and deleted, review of my Spa Depot cover...

I like SpaDepot. I've been ordering spa filters, chemicals and supplies from them for years.

When it came time to replace the cover on my 15 year old Saratoga Spa Clarendon I ordered one from SpaDepot. I got just the standard core but had it double-wrapped and built with the optional energy shield underside. It was $420 (including shipping) for the 78" x 84" cover.

That was almost 3 years ago. The pad is still lightweight with no signs of water logging. No signs of deterioration, tears or stitching wear either. Other than some slight fading around the bottom edges of the hinge, it looks brand new.

It doesn't have a full length hinge pad, but the two pads at the ends seem to do an excellent job of blocking any leaks. The perimeter seal is also excellent. No leaks and it fits so well we normally have to pick it by a corner in order to "break the seal."

No complains whatsoever.

I'd say give them a call and see what they can do for you to remedy the problem.

I am tending to agree with Dr. Spa on this. Starting to look like spam. How convenient to have a backup of your post to repost here. I have unapproved it this time!

What can I say? I've been a spa owner for 8+ years and happen to like my 3 year old Spa Depot cover.

How much more proof do you need than this (my intro and pics)? Do most spammers buy new Marquis spas?

Just because I use tabs a lot and happened to have the original post in one tab when I checked the forum in another, I'm suddenly a spammer? Are you always this friendly to new comers?

You have to understand that this forum gets a LOT of spam and the Mods (who do all this for free, btw) put a LOT of time in trying to keep the spam off the board so it does not interfere with or offend the members. I just deleted 9 spam and p orn posts, dealt with 3 spam reports to moderator, and am in the process of monitoriig all new posts and we have to make judgement calls and tend to err on the side of caution if we think something is spam or advertising, particularly with a new user, since this is time consuming and we do this on a volunteer basis. I have been an active member of this forum for many years and I can remember when just about every other post (or so it seemed) was either spam or p orn so the current Mod team is doing a great job (and I don't say that because I am a member of that team. I am the newest addition, BTW). I try to mod this forum twice a day and usually spend about an hour or more when I do and this does not count time spent posting in the forum and I am just ONE of the mods. I know Dr. Spa (and the other mods) put in just as much time to keep this forum a great place. Most new members do not start off with an 'endorsement' post unless they are spammers, they usually introduce themselves first.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been doing server stuff for decades. For the most part it's a thankless task.

I was working on doing an into for my first post when I noticed this one about Spa Depot covers. I thought, "I've got one of those" and innocently thought I'd just post a quick and simple response about my experience with one...something actually useful for my first post.

Turned out to be not so quick or simple after all.

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for all of your hard work. It's a great forum.