Ace Salt Water Sanitizing

SCSPAUSER

Hi, I have had a hot tub for about 7 years and always used bromine or chlorine as a sanitizer. No matter how closely I managed and kept them within range I always get a rash. ( I get a rash if I use fragrant soap too so sensitive skin for sure), I am close to purchasing a Limelight Flair with an Ace Salt Water Sanitizing unit and was wondering if anyone had much experience with this saintizer. I hate spending $8,000 and finding out I still get a rash. I am going today to do a wet test but may not be long enough of a test to see if rash happens. Thanks for your responses and help.

It could be the bromine or chlorine, it could be MPS shock, or it could be just the hot water itself that causes the rash. It could also be pseudomonas from undersanitized water.

I would investigate these possibilities first.

The saltwater systems produce either chlorine or bromine in the tub (depending on whether the salt is sodium chloride or sodium bromide) and don't remember off the top of my head which one Ace uses but I believe it is a chlorine system.

SO...if you are sensitive to halogens a salt water system would not solve the problem. However, halogen sensitivity is rare ande either pseudomonas (hot tub itch), sensitivity to MPS (non chlorine shock), or just a reaction from the hot water is more likely.

Two questions:

1) when you used chlorine did you use exclusively dichlor?

2) when you used bromine did you shock with MPS?

Both of these could lead to situations that could explain your skin irritation.

On the chlorine I'm not sure about dichlor, just used what the spa dealer sold. But I did use the shock. I need a new tub anyway so I am leaning towards getting the salt system and from earlier reads in this forum I am also buying a Taylor test kit to use as well. I only used test strips in the past so I don't think I really knew how good or bad my water was. And the Ace system does produce chlorine. My wife had no problems with previous water set up just me.

I don't have anything to say about your rash problems,because I'm no dermatologist,and I don't know anything about it, but I will say something about the ACE system. I've got it in my tub and I absolutely love it. It has cut the required maintenance down to the point that about all I do anymore is test the water, see that everything is still good, and close the lid. I haven't added anything to my tub since November except for maybe a tablespoon or two of PH down. I shock just as I always did before getting a tub with the ACE system, but my water quality is the best I've ever had. My previous tubs were either chlorine or bromine and I would occasionally have a little of a dry skin rash type problem, but those days are past. I've had zero skin problems since I got my HS tub with the ACE system. I've always used a Taylor kit for testing and with the ACE system, I've found I have far less water balancing issues than I had in the past. I'd read some things that the PH would drift with a salt water system, but I haven't seen that much at all. My water is more stable now than it's ever been.

Thanks for the help. I am also looking at the silver ion method. My local Hot Springs dealer has agreed to put this and an ozonator on a floor model Limelight Flair tub at no additional cost so it would save me $1000. Guess I will wait until I wet test the salt system this afternoon before making that call.

Another very happy ACE owner - when I first got my tub in October - I spent a day balancing the water! Since then - I do hardly nothing but change my filters! It is crazy easy! I used to add shock because I could not believe I did not have to do anything! After several positive water sample results from my dealer - I now do hardly nothing not even shock!

Get the ACE system - period!

Another very happy ACE owner - when I first got my tub in October - I spent a day balancing the water! Since then - I do hardly nothing but change my filters! It is crazy easy! I used to add shock because I could not believe I did not have to do anything! After several positive water sample results from my dealer - I now do hardly nothing not even shock!

Get the ACE system - period!

Thanks for the help. I am also looking at the silver ion method.

Be aware that silver does require large amounts of MPS to be an EPA approved sanitizer and it is often the MPS that causes skin problems. You will also need to use chlorine for shocking weekly or "as needed" to maintain your water.

Silver by itself does not possess fast enough kill times to keep spa water sanitized. It is more useful for drinking water, which can sit for the required time needed before being used.

+1, another happy ACE user since October! You still need to balance your water upon initial fill, and I recommend maintaining a CYA reserve of 15-20ppm, but otherwise it pretty much takes care of itself. I went from testing daily at first... then to weekly, and now I'm testing bi-weekly with my Taylor K-2006. No shocking necessary, and I only have to add manual chlorine (bleach) when we have parties. I haven't changed my water since initial fill and it still looks/feels new at almost 4 months!