High Blood Pressure

DK117

well, it finally happened. I'm on blood pressure medication. A Google search for high blood pressure and hot tubs brings totally contradictory results, so I'm just going to ask the majority here. Any opinions on tubbing with high blood pressure ... sigh.

DK117

I'm not a Doctor by any means, but to me common sense tells me that if you are on meds AND your Blood Pressure is in the normal range there is no problem with Hot Tubbing. If your Blood Pressure is high, then Hot Tubbing is not something you should be doing. My wife has been on blood pressure medicine for years and she takes baths and/or hot tubs frequently with no problem.

This is really something you need to ask your Doctor about though, not Google searching or asking a message board.

This is really something you need to ask your Doctor about though, not Google searching or asking a message board.

Follow-up appointment with the DR. set for the 25th. I'm preparing for the salt, cholesterol, hot tub, alcohol, lifestyle discussion (I already run 5 days a week, so I got a pass in my initial consultation.)

If you want your blood pressure to go up, go ahead and use Google to research the condition.

DK117

FWIW, been on blood pressure meds since college and am close to 60 now and been hottubing about as long also. My doctor said that as long it was under control it was not a problem but it is not recommended if you can't get it under control.

Your doctor is really the final word on the subject, however.

FWIW, been on blood pressure meds since college and am close to 60 now and been hottubing about as long also. My doctor said that as long it was under control it was not a problem but it is not recommended if you can't get it under control.

Your doctor is really the final word on the subject, however.

This would be a big problem for me if Doc said no more spa. I would do whatever it takes to control the blood pressure so I could continue to be "addicted" to my spa as I have for over 27 years. Good luck and good health to you.

If you want your blood pressure to go up, go ahead and use Google to research the condition.

I don't Google anything medical any more. My PSA count elevated rather quickly and my family Dr sent me to a Urologist and over a six month period it came back down on it's own. Family members who did Google it were really worried, but I refused to use Google and just relied on the Urologist and what he had to say. No explantion though as to why it went from 0.95 to 4.76 in one year, then in six months is back down to 1.95. Had it not come down he would have done a biopsy on my Prostate.

My husband and I are both on blood pressure meds, i don't have any issues, he does if the water is too hot and he stays in too long. He will have dizzy spells. Last year, he used the hot tub, when he got out he was dizzy, he got into the house then passed out. They next day he had a heart attack. The doc thinks the hot tub helped play a role into causing a piece of plaque to be dislodged which snowballed into the heart attack. The warm water and jets increase blood flow, so it does have some effect on you, even if your blodd pressure is controlled, which is part of why tubs can only go to 104 now, and have timers that shut off the jets.

My husband still uses the tub, but very much pays attention to if he is starting to overheat or feel dizzy, he gets right out.

DK117 - You have probably found conflicting info on the web but some sources are more credible than others. FWIW here is a link to the American Heart Association - note the caveat regarding exercise which seems to be a pass for you since you are allowed to run:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=584

I can't argue with the advice to check with your doctor although I believe at times they may be overly conservative because of our litigous society. Hope your follow up meeting with the doctor goes well.