Not Cal Spas At Their Best

footie

Was searching through Youtube and came across this video of a sad looking Cal spas, hope this isn't typical of their workmanship. :unsure:

After selling Cal for 4 years I don't think much of the product and less of the company but I would be shocked if those shell blisters were not the result of being left exposed to direct sunlight.

you two coast spa dealers may be a we bit confused are you sure this is a calspa and not a coast spa this is something like they would but out and say it's a #1 spa

Do you seriously think I'm a Coast dealer. LOL

I've never owned a tub before this one and only picked the Coast Cascade Niagara because I've a disabled kid and it's the only tub I know of which maintains the same water level regardless of bathers.

You seriously have a problem between you and coast spas which needs to be addressed because such hatred is unhealthy.

Hard to say without knowing all the details. But with as many blisters/bubbles as this guy has all over that spa, and considering the dark color of that shell, I'd have to say there's a fairly good chance it could have been solar blisters. If that hot tub was left uncovered in the sunlight (even at 60F) for too long it could be damaged (assuming it had no water in it).

Cal Spa or not, that poor guy might have a hard time getting that fixed/replaced unless he can prove he never left it empty and uncovered. :(

you two coast spa dealers may be a we bit confused are you sure this is a calspa and not a coast spa this is something like they would but out and say it's a #1 spa

You serious? It is an older version of the Cal Spas FP4700 swim spa. Anyone who ever saw a Cal would know that. If you ever saw a Coast swim spa you would know that the Wellness does not have the spa section integrated with the swim section like that. Next time you should probably wait for someone to "pimp" Coast before you go on your tirade.

Hard to say without knowing all the details. But with as many blisters/bubbles as this guy has all over that spa, and considering the dark color of that shell, I'd have to say there's a fairly good chance it could have been solar blisters. If that hot tub was left uncovered in the sunlight (even at 60F) for too long it could be damaged (assuming it had no water in it).

Cal Spa or not, that poor guy might have a hard time getting that fixed/replaced unless he can prove he never left it empty and uncovered. :(

I never thought of that, though it does make sense, especially with the heat you guys can get in the States. But what about all the there issues with this tub, I was rather shocked be the poor workmanship, though without knowing everything this could very well have been a dealer refurb instead of a brand new tub.

Any thoughts on that possibility?

I get that hot tubs are used more in the late evening/night time, and the shells can be sensitive to sunlight, but if this thing is a swim spa then shouldn't the expectation be that most of its use will be in the daytime and therefore frequently exposed to direct sunlight?

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but if it can't be exposed to sunlight then seems like a waste of money to me, kind of like buying a car that can only be driven at night.

I get that hot tubs are used more in the late evening/night time, and the shells can be sensitive to sunlight, but if this thing is a swim spa then shouldn't the expectation be that most of its use will be in the daytime and therefore frequently exposed to direct sunlight?

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but if it can't be exposed to sunlight then seems like a waste of money to me, kind of like buying a car that can only be driven at night.

They should have said "exposed to sunlight while empty".

Fiberglass backed spas can handle direct sunlight to the shell (without water) longer than an ABS backed shells but even with fiberglass backed shells, if its exposed to sun while empty long enough or if there are issues with how the fiberglass was processed you can get blisters.

Totally fake. You can tell they have altered the inside themselves especially when they show the coloured screws cracking the wood. Coloured screws come from skirts & are never in the frame. Those blisters are clearly from the sun. Obviously where that was made there was some bitter dealer rivalry goin on. It reminds me of the smoke cannister pictures of an Arctic a few years back circulating amongst dealers in Canada.

Totally fake. You can tell they have altered the inside themselves especially when they show the coloured screws cracking the wood. Coloured screws come from skirts & are never in the frame. Those blisters are clearly from the sun. Obviously where that was made there was some bitter dealer rivalry goin on. It reminds me of the smoke cannister pictures of an Arctic a few years back circulating amongst dealers in Canada.

So they are fake. Thank god for that because I was starting to worry that this kind of practice was normal among tub companies.

So they are fake. Thank god for that because I was starting to worry that this kind of practice was normal among tub companies.

And the leaking and lack of insulation?

Which is why I wondered if this was a piss poor refurb bought on the cheap.

I've looked at a few brands before picking the Coast and on each occasion the guts of the tubs appears to be very similar is both workmanship and basic equipment (item brand names not withstanding). It might even be a case of someone with these blisters in the tub trying to get them resolved the dealer and failed because it was proven to be lack of due care by him/her that they are now trying with the manufacturer for a replacement tub and to make his case appear stronger has tweaked the underside to make it look like very poor workmanship everywhere.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen such a thing (though never on a tub).

With Cal there are many different levels of insulation packages. In Canada there was a choice of 3 different insulation packages when I sold them. There are also dealers in the US that used to be able to just buy the shells/skirt & plumb them as the saw fit (dont know if that still happens). But to someone who has repaired many brands & models you can spot mods & a tub that has been sititng in the sun for a long time since the majority of that insulation was a rusty orange & not light yellow looking like a sponge like it should. A knife can do wonderous things to pipe when you show obstructed views & claim there's faulty piping. All im saying there are a lot of suspicious things shown & to people who dont have intimate knowledge of the brand this video does what its supposed to do shock & turn people off the brand.