Is There Always A Sale?

DTex

We bought a house a while back with a hot tub, the first I have owned. Tub wasn't in great shape, so after a few years and a few costly repairs I'm looking to replace it. I have to say I'm amazed how the retail business seems to work. I've been to three dealers, including some of the normal, more well-known names, and each had the following:

- Absolutely no way to find a printed MSRP from either the dealer or the manufacturer documentation or website

- A supposed massive sale going on, with a supposed $2-3k off the MSRP, buy now, sale will be over soon! Some dealers couldn't tell me when the "sale" was going to end.

It just seems bizzare to me. The folks at the dealers could easily be making up MSRPs/sale prices on the spot, and I wouldn't know the difference. I can't help but think this is somewhat shady, but maybe that's just the way the business works.

So, the question is, is there a way to find actual MSRPs or typical sale priices (I think the answer is no, this board has been the best resource I've found so far), and is this really just the way the hot tub industry operates (I think the answer is yes, and I'll just have to get used to it)?

We bought a house a while back with a hot tub, the first I have owned. Tub wasn't in great shape, so after a few years and a few costly repairs I'm looking to replace it. I have to say I'm amazed how the retail business seems to work. I've been to three dealers, including some of the normal, more well-known names, and each had the following:

- Absolutely no way to find a printed MSRP from either the dealer or the manufacturer documentation or website

- A supposed massive sale going on, with a supposed $2-3k off the MSRP, buy now, sale will be over soon! Some dealers couldn't tell me when the "sale" was going to end.

It just seems bizzare to me. The folks at the dealers could easily be making up MSRPs/sale prices on the spot, and I wouldn't know the difference. I can't help but think this is somewhat shady, but maybe that's just the way the business works.

So, the question is, is there a way to find actual MSRPs or typical sale priices (I think the answer is no, this board has been the best resource I've found so far), and is this really just the way the hot tub industry operates (I think the answer is yes, and I'll just have to get used to it)?

Just let us know what models your looking at and we can tell if it is a good price or not. Some Manufactures change the pricing 2-3 a year. Dealers are aloud to what ever pricing we want. Top of the line spas sell from $9000.00 and up. I can help you with Caldera, Hotspring, and rest of Watkins pricing as well as Maax pricing. I can not give out cost info just MSRP info.

But does MSRP really mean squat? They never sell for anything near that price. Kind of like a sticker price on a new car. Nobody should ever pay that price. So if the so-called MSRP is $9,000 what would be a fair selling price and what would be considered a good deal? 20% off of that would be $7200, so is anything less than that what I should expect to pay. If so, the MSRP is a joke.

If a Hot Tub normally sells for $7200 and I can get it for $6500 that is a good deal to me. I really don't care about the MSRP, I care about what the tubs are selling for in the stores.

hahaha

Welcome to the world of hot tubs!!!

When I was shopping, I went in to a local D1 dealer who had a "regular" price posted on a particular tub of ~21K. They also had a "Sale" price posted of $18,499.00 right below that. After speaking with a sales rep for a bit, and when it was evident that I was not too interested in committing to a purchase, he ran to his desk and came back and offered me an "exceptional" price - a builder's discount - of $16,999.00.

After poking around a bit, I discovered that I could buy this same tub from a dealer in another city ~2 hrs away, for $12K.

...its just the way this game is played.

I have learned that you DO get what you pay for, but at the same time, it is VERY easy to pay waaaay too much.

Suggest you do lots of research, check ALL the local dealers, perhaps even call some dealers in nearby cities, etc. and you will eventually get a feel for what you might have to pay, and then YOU will be able to make the decision on what is a fair price (for you).

One more thing to consider, is that it is definitely worth it to buy from an established, credible, dependable etc. etc. dealer. In my opinion, it is worth a few extra bucks to have that peace of mind. There are plenty of thigns to go wrong with these things, and having a dealer who provides top notch follow-up service, is key.

hahaha

Welcome to the world of hot tubs!!!

When I was shopping, I went in to a local D1 dealer who had a "regular" price posted on a particular tub of ~21K. They also had a "Sale" price posted of $18,499.00 right below that. After speaking with a sales rep for a bit, and when it was evident that I was not too interested in committing to a purchase, he ran to his desk and came back and offered me an "exceptional" price - a builder's discount - of $16,999.00.

*on the soap box*

Now THAT, is shady if you ask me. Although dealers can essentially set their own prices based on overhead costs, local markets, etc, I think going from $21,000 to $12,000 seems a bit excessive. Some people however, choose to work like that in order to make you think you're getting a massive deal. In some cases some folks choose to go that route to make up for their lack of salesmanship.

But no, you won't find MSRP info on hot tub manufacturer's sites, and yes prices do vary some across the country. Some of that price difference is entirely dependent on cost of living and other such issues that the dealer has to account for in their overhead. This is why you need to shop dealers first, then pick out a hot tub. Find a dealer that you feel you can trust. Once you find a couple dealers you feel comfortable with, then you can much more confidently pick out a hot tub.

As for Costco: If you want a sub-par hot tub, with some substantial long term risk (lots of manufacturers in this segment go bankrupt every 3 years or so) it's a very cheap way to buy a new spa. There is the advantage that Costco takes returns on anything, no questions asked. But if you want a GOOD hot tub, find a local dealer you can trust, and talk to them.

*off the soap box*

Good luck in your hunt for a hot tub. In the end, they are worth it!! :)

Thanks for the replys, Wannago's experience is the one I am trying to avoid. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I don't want to get taken.

Right now I'm looking at a jacuzzi 335/355 and a Hot springs Aria. Haven't looked at D1 yet, but plan to this weekend. I have to keep the size at around 7'3" square or so (some wiggle room on that). No wet tests yet, but I plan to start that this weekend as well. Quote for the Jacuzzi 335 is $7800, with ozonator, no price yet on the 355. The Aria was quoted as around $12000. Based on what I've seen, both of these prices seem a bit high, any help on pricing would be greatly appreciated.

Just let us know what models your looking at and we can tell if it is a good price or not. Some Manufactures change the pricing 2-3 a year. Dealers are aloud to what ever pricing we want. Top of the line spas sell from $9000.00 and up. I can help you with Caldera, Hotspring, and rest of Watkins pricing as well as Maax pricing. I can not give out cost info just MSRP info.

Does you sell all 3 of those brands, Caldera, Hot Spring and Maxx?

Thanks for the replys, Wannago's experience is the one I am trying to avoid. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I don't want to get taken.

Right now I'm looking at a jacuzzi 335/355 and a Hot springs Aria. Haven't looked at D1 yet, but plan to this weekend. I have to keep the size at around 7'3" square or so (some wiggle room on that). No wet tests yet, but I plan to start that this weekend as well. Quote for the Jacuzzi 335 is $7800, with ozonator, no price yet on the 355. The Aria was quoted as around $12000. Based on what I've seen, both of these prices seem a bit high, any help on pricing would be greatly appreciated.

The Hot Spring Aria could very well sell for $12,000 depending on how it's packaged. Is there music, or other options in that?

Does you sell all 3 of those brands, Caldera, Hot Spring and Maxx?

I can still get Maax spas and right now a dual dealer for Watkins

Both Jacuzzi and Hot Spring pricing is higher in my area than what they seem to be elsewhere. Locally the Jacuzzi J-345 can be had for $7200 w/o ozone on "current promotion" so I am inclined to agree that you might be able to do a lttle better on the J-335. I haven't considered the 335 as i am not looking at loungers but I think the 345 is a great tub.

I haven't priced Hot Spring here recently - they were so much higher relative to quality reputable competiton in our area that I haven't gone back. Example - Tiger River Caspian selling for more than D1 Nautilus. They have one model I may be interested in and will stop by the next time I happen to be in their area in case their pricing has improved. I just want to emphasize that this is my local experience and Hot Spring may be a better relative value elsewhere.

Welcome to the world of spa dealers... you discovered exactly what I did, buying a hot tub (from a dealer) is like buying a used car from buy-here-pay-here car lot. Actually, you may be able to get more of a fair price from the used car dealer.

A local dealer can be of value though to service and setup your tub. I ended up buying from a local dealer after a couple months research. I was poised to purchase one of the Evolution spas from Costco and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the future, my problem was the model with exactly the features I wanted was not currently being offered (two or three pump system with a lounger). I was willing to wait but the wife was growing weary of the wait, the new deck was complete and she was ready to soak. After getting some ball park prices for the tub we were considering and the local dealer offering one with a lot of features in that price range... we took the plunge. Of course if 3 months down the road we discover we really don't like our new spa... well, that's too bad, at least with Costco one has some options and the Strong spas appear to be well built and as someone else mentioned, there are no pricing games. You don't 50%, 75% or 100% more then someone else for the same spa. I guess it's that sort of thing that is just wrong.

Short answer..YES..work it don't fight it. Take the time to figure the game out. Your more then likely to be spending good cash on a major buy but not quite a car. lets face it you can do with or without it.! So take that stance take lots of time, WET TEST. Make it a fun game not one you hate..learn from it..it will help you. Anyone who told me that the price was only good today or this minute I would Laugh at, you must be joking. If the spa world wants to work on a get what you can model. Im good for it and so should you be. Hope you get to enjoy the water!

Short answer..YES..work it don't fight it. Take the time to figure the game out. Your more then likely to be spending good cash on a major buy but not quite a car. lets face it you can do with or without it.! So take that stance take lots of time, WET TEST. Make it a fun game not one you hate..learn from it..it will help you. Anyone who told me that the price was only good today or this minute I would Laugh at, you must be joking. If the spa world wants to work on a get what you can model. Im good for it and so should you be. Hope you get to enjoy the water!

Thanks for all the responses, they have been very helpful, particularly the ones who have been able to provide some price information. I think the above post also provides a good perspective. I'll take the advice and take a step back, suspend my disbelief, and have a bit more fun with the process (even though I'm sure I'll find myself shaking my head in puzzlement a few more times along the way).

As other posters have said, buying a hot tub is like buying a used car. It's basically a smoke and mirrors rite of passage, but you're gonna have to invest the time and patience with your local dealers to figure out the best deals are.

Don't worry about missing out on a "massive sale" - these go on year round, and rarely offer significant savings, but that's kinda hard to tell when the MSRP is a mystery!