Wet Testing

kenc

I just wet tested a Sundance Hartford and a Caldera Niagara. Here is what I learned

The sundance seat did not fit my body very well -- Neck jets did not hit my neck but more my upper back :(

Niagara had some deep seats and the neck jets were perfect.

Lesson Learned : Wet testing is a MUST - I am sold on that ... but here in lies the problem

Seems that most dealers don't want to go thru the hassle of filling a floor model with water to let people kick the tires.

My question to the forum is - how do you get a dealer to let you wet test a spa that you are interested in ?

Thanks

Ken

In my case, I'm not buying it unless I get to wet test it. The one I tested yesterday was on the showroom floor. I felt a little uncomfortable walking past all the customers in swim trunks, but I am glad I did. I ended up not caring for the feel of the jets at all. I was disappointed that I didn't like it because I thought it was a good deal. I want to buy used, so I'm just going to keep on looking and not be in any hurry.

I just wet tested a Sundance Hartford and a Caldera Niagara. Here is what I learned

The sundance seat did not fit my body very well -- Neck jets did not hit my neck but more my upper back :(

Niagara had some deep seats and the neck jets were perfect.

Lesson Learned : Wet testing is a MUST - I am sold on that ... but here in lies the problem

Seems that most dealers don't want to go thru the hassle of filling a floor model with water to let people kick the tires.

My question to the forum is - how do you get a dealer to let you wet test a spa that you are interested in ?

Thanks

Ken

Money talks and the threat of a purchase.

Neck jets did not hit my neck but more my upper back :(

We found that on some models that we tested, this is why wet testing is very important, no matter who is looking :lol:

Let them know you are interested and if a dealer cannot be bothered to fill it for a possible sale, then think what they could be like after the sale if you require a warranty claim.

These are all GREAT points. The "vibe" I have gotten from the 4 dealers that I had the initial talks with are - sure you can wet test the tubs that have water in them ( all the high end ones :) ) but its a hassle to fill any of the less expensive models.

So I guess it time to play a bit of hardball and apply pressure : game on !

These are all GREAT points. The "vibe" I have gotten from the 4 dealers that I had the initial talks with are - sure you can wet test the tubs that have water in them ( all the high end ones :) ) but its a hassle to fill any of the less expensive models.

Don't forget that there is some expenditure on the side of the dealer to fill a tub up and wet test it.

They will have to absorb the cost of deprecation from filling it with water and pay for the water, heating the water, and chemicals for the water.

Don't forget that there is some expenditure on the side of the dealer to fill a tub up and wet test it.

They will have to absorb the cost of deprecation from filling it with water and pay for the water, heating the water, and chemicals for the water.

And in addition to these points, there is no way a dealer can possibly have every tub wired in to electricity.

And in addition to these points, there is no way a dealer can possibly have every tub wired in to electricity.

Another very, very good point.

It's important we respect the dealers costs on setup for wet testing.

If I were to buy a tub and had to wet test, I would find a dealer I liked and settle on that dealer. Then I would give him a substantial amount of earnest money towards the tub I liked best after wet testing. From there I am sure they would fill whichever was available....of course I would also want to buy the exact tub I wet tested so that the dealer did not have to absorb the depreciation on that unit.

But that's just me....I shudder when customers ask me to spend money on a lost cause.

Another very, very good point.

It's important we respect the dealers costs on setup for wet testing.

If I were to buy a tub and had to wet test, I would find a dealer I liked and settle on that dealer. Then I would give him a substantial amount of earnest money towards the tub I liked best after wet testing. From there I am sure they would fill whichever was available....of course I would also want to buy the exact tub I wet tested so that the dealer did not have to absorb the depreciation on that unit.

But that's just me....I shudder when customers ask me to spend money on a lost cause.

I helped one of our local dealers set up a very simple system for wet testing. Throw the tub on a flat fork lift/palletable cart. Roll into position and remove the cart. Transfer water from 1 tub to the other (they always have a couple filled) less heating and allready sanitized. Hook up a quick 220V plug in pig tail to the tub and plug it into a 220 GFCI protected wall socket. With water pumping time it turned into about a 1 hour job for 2 guys from tub racking in the warehouse to hot water ready to soak.

But not all dealers are willing.

The CalSpa dealer I went to had a room with two hot tubs in it, both filled and heated. When I called about wet testing, they said I had to schedule it because they like to do all the wet testing at once to keep costs down on heating it. It was not big deal because they had two days a week where you can schedule at anytime for 30 minutes. Add, it was private. The sales person let you in the room and you will be alone.

What if the dealer charged a $50 wet test fee? Which, if you purchased, was deducted from the total cost? I don't know what kind of margins that most of the dealers operate under but buying a tub is not like buying a car. Not always feasible to test drive. At least it would stop the casual soaker with no strong intention to buy.

I could also envision that after wet testing the tub they wanted, how many people would insist on a "brand new" tub, that was never filled? Because now that showroom tub that was filled to wet test is considered a showroom demo, that another customer is going to insist on a discount since it is "used" in their opinion. It's almost a no-win situation for a dealer.

BTW, I'm not a dealer, nor am I in the spa business. I did sit in the tub I most recently bought, but it was empty. I did not feel the need to wet-test, but that is my own personal opinion.

Luckily when I wet test the one on Saturday it was already on the showroom, filled and heated. Had it not been and I had them fill it, heat it and have it ready for me to wet test, I would have felt like a jerk saying I didn't like it. But it was uncomfortable enough to me where I would not have bought it. I can see the dilemma though about being fair to the dealer and how they can not have every single hot tub operating at the same time.

thanks to all for the collective wisdom. I think I will proceed as follows:

Wet Test any and all Spas that ALREADY have water in them and are of interest to me at multiple dealers. To get a feel of what is available.

Narrow down my selection to 1 or 2 product lines and/or dealers

Further narrow down to 1 or 2 spas - and then :

Negotiate the final prices etc to ensure it is in my price range and then finally ...

Request a wet test of the one I intend to buy (If I have only been able to dry test or look at a catalog)and be willing to offer to pay a fee for the wet test that can be refunded if I purchase.

thanks again for the advice and for the "dealers" perspective on this.

thanks to all for the collective wisdom. I think I will proceed as follows:

Wet Test any and all Spas that ALREADY have water in them and are of interest to me at multiple dealers. To get a feel of what is available.

Narrow down my selection to 1 or 2 product lines and/or dealers

Further narrow down to 1 or 2 spas - and then :

Negotiate the final prices etc to ensure it is in my price range and then finally ...

Request a wet test of the one I intend to buy (If I have only been able to dry test or look at a catalog)and be willing to offer to pay a fee for the wet test that can be refunded if I purchase.

thanks again for the advice and for the "dealers" perspective on this.

That sounds like one hell of a great way to go about buying a tub.

Nice to see someone who is reasonable!

To be fair, I am not a tub dealer either...but just feel bad for how beat up some of these guys must get.

Kudos to you for being fair and respectful.

My wife and I tested a tub this weekend. The test went well and it is a tub that we may purchase, but there are a couple of other tubs in the running. We bought a bag of hardwood charchol before leaving. At another place we tested at a different time, we bought some acrylic glasses for use in the tub. i don't feel that I have to buy something from the dealer but it is nice if there is something we actually can use. I also don't feel a need to grind the dealer down to the very last dollar when we buy because I have appreciated the service and related costs to dealers who set up showrooms, conduct wet tests etc. Buying a tub would be a crapshoot otherwise, especially if you are shopping for a tub with a lounger.

alot of wet testing in a showroom will depend on the dealership. some have the capabilty to swap water and move a spa very easily, some do not have that luxury, fortunately at our dealership, we have the room , the inventory, and ease of moving power and water to another spa for the wetest. i just depends on the level of service the dealer will provide you.....

• 1 year later...

i know this is an old threat but wanted to add my experiences. I asked one dealer about wet testing and he said that if he did that, the tub would be considered "used" and he simply didn't have the resources or ability to wet test the tubs. I asked how a consumer was supposed to be able to buy with confidence, with such a big ticket item, only to get it home and not like the feel of the tub? He said that if it's within warranty, he would take it back if the customer didn't like it after using it. So, that was his way of handling the wet test situation. I do see the dealer's side of it...I also see the buyer/consumer's side. I think the best way is as some have described, to set up one day a week for wet test and let people know they can come in for that appointed time to try out a spa. However, most will probably show their high end spas and not set up the cheaper ones. So, many times you're still buying an unknown unless you have friends or family with the same model and already know what it feels like. Hopefully most dealers will let you return it if you simply hate the feel of it (within the warranty period). I would think the best way to wet test is contacting private sellers through Craigslist who are selling used tubs that are up and running and try them out that way. Other than that, it may be hard to always wet test the exact brand of spa you are interested in buying. Makes it difficult!

i know this is an old threat but wanted to add my experiences. I asked one dealer about wet testing and he said that if he did that, the tub would be considered "used" and he simply didn't have the resources or ability to wet test the tubs.

I can understand it being difficult to make every spa available for wet testing but this whole idea that he won’t allow any because it will by definition render the spa a "used" spa is B.S. I haven’t heard of this one. Most dealers will have a few wet for general testing and some will make special arrangements for others if you give them time to get it ready but to not allow any and use the "it becomes used" excuse is a bit much.

Well if you believe the hype of spas being "low cost" to operate. Then dealers should have no problem having 3 or 4 tubs filled to be tested. Per the specs I've seen and especially because the spas are inside and low use, it should cost them more than $200/mo. Also the so called I'd have to sell it as used doesn't fly either. The discounts I've seen are maybe $1500 and that means there are still large margins.

In other words if i can not test the specific tub I'm interested in buying, I won't purchase it. Would you buy a car you couldn't test drive? Some of these tubs cost more than my commuter car was brand new.