How Would This Work To Move The Spa?

cpuKEN

I was out killing some time the other day and came across a possible solution on how to move a Costco delivered spa from the driveway to the back of the house. I've read several options but I'm just trying to explore all potential solutions.

What do you think?

38137.gif

Link to wagon

Ken

Probally no one else on this site that knows less about spas than me, but I do know a little about moving heavy stuff and not sure that is what you are looking for. The Mfg. list a weight raiting of 1000 lbs. which is most likley at the low end at the direction of their legal section. If you do decide to use it try to have lots of help to steady it as you move. Good Luck

I think it would work if you left the spa in it's shipping crate and put down plywood boards on any grass / dirt you have to roll across. The spa mover I hired to move our Costco spa from the driveway to the backyard used something similar. Watch your roof overhang when moving it! Ask me how I know!!!

I think it would work if you left the spa in it's shipping crate and put down plywood boards on any grass / dirt you have to roll across. The spa mover I hired to move our Costco spa from the driveway to the backyard used something similar. Watch your roof overhang when moving it! Ask me how I know!!!

I was hoping with those 10 inch, pneumatic tires, I wouldn't have to go the plywood route... but who knows.

Thanks for the warning regarding the overhang.

Ken

I was hoping with those 10 inch, pneumatic tires, I wouldn't have to go the plywood route... but who knows.

Ken

The air tires won't work. They will sag to much with spa on the cart making it harded to push and pull. What landscape are going over? We use roller beds and plywood or if it as solid ground you can roll them on 1.5 inch pvc pipe

Ken

The air tires won't work. They will sag to much with spa on the cart making it harded to push and pull. What landscape are going over? We use roller beds and plywood or if it as solid ground you can roll them on 1.5 inch pvc pipe

The guys that moved my CSXi80 spa used a specially-made spa moving cart. It had air tires, which they actually ran with surprisingly low pressure. It WAS very hard to push - they were working. I asked if they wanted an air line to blow the tires up but they said they ran the tires low on purpose and thought it was more stable that way. I wouldn't have thought so, but it was their gig and they seemed to do it without much problem (except for the heaving and ho-ing).

But why would you want to do this Ken? You are still going to need several people to safely (and with no damage) get the thing from the pallet to the cart, then stabilize it while moving (they are very tippy), then get is set flat safely without dropping. Figure pizza and beer for your friends plus if you have to buy this thing.

I paid $200 for three guys - bonded and insured (very important) , a regular spa moving company - to move it for me. Actually the deal was $175 if I had a pizza there for lunch. Not bad considering the fact that I didn't have to do a thing except tell them exactly where to put it and which side should face where.

Oh one more thing. The weight rating on the cart is most probably ok, but I have experienced "over-rated" made-in-china stuff. Years ago I needed an engine cherry picker that would handle large boat and truck engines. The CHinese stuff was rated for it, but it was easy to show with some simple hand calculations that the structure wouldn't support 1/2 that amount. We ended up making our own. You wouldn't want this thing to crap out half way through the job.

Ken

The guys that moved my CSXi80 spa used a specially-made spa moving cart. It had air tires, which they actually ran with surprisingly low pressure. It WAS very hard to push - they were working. I asked if they wanted an air line to blow the tires up but they said they ran the tires low on purpose and thought it was more stable that way. I wouldn't have thought so, but it was their gig and they seemed to do it without much problem (except for the heaving and ho-ing).

But why would you want to do this Ken? You are still going to need several people to safely (and with no damage) get the thing from the pallet to the cart, then stabilize it while moving (they are very tippy), then get is set flat safely without dropping. Figure pizza and beer for your friends plus if you have to buy this thing.

I paid $200 for three guys - bonded and insured (very important) , a regular spa moving company - to move it for me. Actually the deal was $175 if I had a pizza there for lunch. Not bad considering the fact that I didn't have to do a thing except tell them exactly where to put it and which side should face where.

Oh one more thing. The weight rating on the cart is most probably ok, but I have experienced "over-rated" made-in-china stuff. Years ago I needed an engine cherry picker that would handle large boat and truck engines. The CHinese stuff was rated for it, but it was easy to show with some simple hand calculations that the structure wouldn't support 1/2 that amount. We ended up making our own. You wouldn't want this thing to crap out half way through the job.

You certainly gave me something to think about. I can't find any spa movers in Indianapolis though.

1st option is to pay the delivery guys to move it to the back of the house but I won't know until that happens as to whether

they will do it or not, so I'm looking at backup plans.

Might contact a local moving company to see if they would attempt it.

Of course if I attempt it myself, I'll have 4-5 others on hand to assist in whatever method I try.

Looking at photos of the CXi80 posted by someone here, that baby sure looks like it would be prone to tip over

with it perched on that pallet!

Ken

Of course if I attempt it myself, I'll have 4-5 others on hand to assist in whatever method I try.

Looking at photos of the CXi80 posted by someone here, that baby sure looks like it would be prone to tip over

with it perched on that pallet!

Ken

Leaving it on the pallet spreads the load and avoids point loading the cabinet sides. The spa mover I used took three guys guiding and rolling it. This is just my opinion from watching the whole affair. I am most definitely not an expert.

Leaving it on the pallet spreads the load and avoids point loading the cabinet sides. The spa mover I used took three guys guiding and rolling it. This is just my opinion from watching the whole affair. I am most definitely not an expert.

The pallet that my CSXi80 came on is not a traditional pallet. Unless they changed it, the pallet is just 3 longitudinal 1x4s supporting some lateral 1x4s. There's 12 pillars made of 4x4, about 3 inches tall, that hold this "deck" off the ground. It's adequate if you have forks, but you're not rolling that thing anywhere.

I used the PVC pipe method when I moved my spa. I found it to be pretty easy to roll across my back yard and onto a small platform that I had built. Seems that it would be a lot more stable than putting it up on a cart.

rosco,

What diameter pipe and how many sections did you use?

Also, how many guys did you have?

I borrowed and idea from a product called a Spa Sled or something like that. Do an internet search and check it out. Ending up buying a 4X8 sheet of polypropylene (sp?). attached a piece of 2X4 to one end put holes for straps in other end and it worked great! I also had some PVC pipes available if we needed them. Once I got the tub home and was moving it on the pad I did use the PVC. Amazingly I was able to move it any of the 4 different directions as needed to complete my hook up to the power. LOL it was funny... I told wife I was going out to hook up wiring and my need her to help me get the pipes out from under the tub in a bit. She came out later and I was filling the tub. Her response was dont you want to get those pipes out before you put more weight in it????? Told I did it by my self and she was amazed.

edit, seeing the question above....

I used 2 pieces of 1" electrical conduit. This was once it was laid flat and on the pad. It rolled very easy and slide easy enough. Was able to use a short 2x4 board and a block to raise one side and remove one pipe, then go to other side and remove the other. Really simple.

When moving on edge and across soft ground I would use more pieces to distribute the weight and possibly use the boards as well if ground is soft.

The two guys who moved mine had a home made sled made of 2" PVC conduit. They used curved pieces of PVC pipe at the front.

They had a lot of 1" PVC pipe cut to four foot lengths that they rolled the sled and spa over, moving the ones from the back of the sled to the front as they progressed. The spa was moved on it's side.

It took them less than a half an hour to move the spa from the front of my house around to the back and into place, over uneven ground.

The purchase price of my used spa included moving it. The guys said they usually charged $450 to deliver and place a spa. They even told me about this web site!

Dave

Ken

NO - use Plywood. Figure out how much you need and buy / borrow 25% more than that. We had an awful time moving ours on *FOZEN* landscaping with 10" pneumatics. I think you might be able to find someone to move it through Costco for 200 bucks. Trust me, unless you have some really awesome relatives or friends, it's so not worth it. I completely regret not paying to have mine moved. After I figured out the cost of renting the spa dolly + truck + gas + food for teenagers it was almost as much as just saying "move from here to here".

Ken

NO - use Plywood. Figure out how much you need and buy / borrow 25% more than that. We had an awful time moving ours on *FOZEN* landscaping with 10" pneumatics. I think you might be able to find someone to move it through Costco for 200 bucks. Trust me, unless you have some really awesome relatives or friends, it's so not worth it. I completely regret not paying to have mine moved. After I figured out the cost of renting the spa dolly + truck + gas + food for teenagers it was almost as much as just saying "move from here to here".

The two guys who moved mine had a home made sled made of 2" PVC conduit. They used curved pieces of PVC pipe at the front.

They had a lot of 1" PVC pipe cut to four foot lengths that they rolled the sled and spa over, moving the ones from the back of the sled to the front as they progressed. The spa was moved on it's side.

It took them less than a half an hour to move the spa from the front of my house around to the back and into place, over uneven ground.

The purchase price of my used spa included moving it. The guys said they usually charged $450 to deliver and place a spa. They even told me about this web site!

Dave

My son is going to school in Indy, he is a big boy, well over 250 lbs with big friends. As tight as money is for these guys while trying to get through school I would say $100.00 would get four or five of them there for help. If interested let me know and I'll provide a number where you can reach him. At any rate good luck, I know you will enjoy once up and running, just wish I would have bought mine twenty years ago.

My son is going to school in Indy, he is a big boy, well over 250 lbs with big friends. As tight as money is for these guys while trying to get through school I would say $100.00 would get four or five of them there for help. If interested let me know and I'll provide a number where you can reach him. At any rate good luck, I know you will enjoy once up and running, just wish I would have bought mine twenty years ago.

jbuck,

Thanks for the offer. I'm probably about 3 months away from that day...

Having a deck built, this may start in a couple of weeks.

Then getting the 220 line run.

Then finally place the order with Costco. I want to be sure these basics are in place with not

hidden problems before I place the order.

I will get the phone number now or later just in case. I plan on offering the delivery guys a few dollars but

no way of knowing ahead of time if they would be interested. If not, then I have several options

offered up here to get the job done. Certainly having some young strong guys will go along way.

Ken

I was out killing some time the other day and came across a possible solution on how to move a Costco delivered spa from the driveway to the back of the house. I've read several options but I'm just trying to explore all potential solutions.

What do you think?

38137.gif

Link to wagon

Ken

Just thought of something.....

How will you get it on and off the wagon?

OK, I can see the delivery guys unloading onto the wagon for you.

Will your deck be of a height you can just do a tilt and slide procedure to get the tub off the trailer and onto the deck or pad where it will go. I can see getting it off that wagon and onto a pad at ground level being a problem. Short of a "he-man" lifting session.

Just things to consider in your planning.

if i were you id pay a crew to come in and move it-

you dont want to possibly damaging your investment, trust me we have heard horror stories

depending on the size of the spa you can find a local hot tub moving to do it for a good price-

depending on any decking, stairs, or other obstructions

any good mover can go over any terrain, snow, hill, decking, rocks- etc

Two guys delivered my 8 by 7 tub and I helped. They used 2 inch PVC pipe. They were cut in lengths of about 2 ft. We had maybe 4 sections of 2 ft PVC piping. The delivery guy said he has been delivering tubs for 15 years and this was the easiest method. It was amazing how quickly we moved the top to the back yard.

i actually have this exact cart if you were to use this it would have to be 4 one on each end of the tub and i still think you would be over the weight limit possibly would work the air tires would be a big help but iwould say this adds at least 500 dollars to purchase