Energy Efficiency Test Results Or Technical Information (circ. Pump)

bugster7

Hy There,

I have found some links to Californian energy commission, but they don´t work anymore.

Please post some new links, if availabe. If someone of you could provide some sheets i´m also open to get emails.

I think it´s most important to know the energy consumption in the stand-by hours.

http://www.envy-spa.de tried to get an energy factor W / °C (°F) [delta from outside temperatur to water temp], but they have only test results from Sundance, Hotspring and Artic.

After some weeks of trying to buy a spa, our final decision is between Dove Canjon (Artesian) - Lotus Bay or Chairman II (D1) and Envoy (HS). I think that all of them have the best full insolation on the marked but i´m not sure to have technical details from circulation pump and ozonator.

Please fill out the matrix if you have that information.

HS: circ pump: 48 W

CR ozon: ?? W

D1: circ pump: W (<100 W ??)

UV ozon: W

Art: circ pump: 80 W ?

CR ozon: W

Thanks for you answers

Chris

The CEC has recently changed the way that they publish data so the direct spreadsheet download is no longer available. Go to this web site and then navigate to the pool section. The advanced search allows you to display most of the same data and you can download a spreadsheet from there.

Help me out here...what exactly is standby power? Is that the power the unit uses when NOT in use. i.e., just the circulation pump and ozone unit in use? I know my circ. pump uses about 80 watts and I have not idea what the ozone unit uses. I have a Hot Spring Grandee rated at 252 standby watts. I know when all the jets are in use that it is using kW.

Thanks for the link, but i cannot follow the data.

I interpret the "stand by watts", how much will the unused spa take to keep the temperatur and the water clean. But for this information it is necessary to know at which ambient temperature or the delta between water and outside air.

Does someone know, how the data on that cal. webpage are interpreted?

@mlobitz: Please give us some data about your power consumption

Standby watts is how much energy the spa will use just ticking over and maintaining temperature with the cover closed. From an energy efficiency perspective this is a good comparison of how well insulated (and efficient) a particular tub is, however this comparison is only truly fair if all tubs tested use a low power circ pump for heating, rather than main pumps which will suck up more electric, and therefore skew the data.

After a lot of searching page 86 on this link...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2009publications/...00-2009-013.PDF

describes the test conditions/methods, which appear to be water temp 102, ambient temp 60. If this testing was carried out by an unbiased 3rd party then they could be considered a fair and scientific comparison of the various brands, but I don't know if that was the case or not.

Standby watts is how much energy the spa will use just ticking over and maintaining temperature with the cover closed. From an energy efficiency perspective this is a good comparison of how well insulated (and efficient) a particular tub is, however this comparison is only truly fair if all tubs tested use a low power circ pump for heating, rather than main pumps which will suck up more electric, and therefore skew the data.

After a lot of searching page 86 on this link...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2009publications/...00-2009-013.PDF

describes the test conditions/methods, which appear to be water temp 102, ambient temp 60. If this testing was carried out by an unbiased 3rd party then they could be considered a fair and scientific comparison of the various brands, but I don't know if that was the case or not.

From what I remember reading in trade mags that the state of CA was letting the manufactures test there own spas. Artic spas used to have a 3 rd party test results on the web but I can't find it now, But Artic Beachcomber were the top two in energy effcient

From what I remember reading in trade mags that the state of CA was letting the manufactures test there own spas. Artic spas used to have a 3 rd party test results on the web but I can't find it now, But Artic Beachcomber were the top two in energy effcient

The Arctic report link can be seen within the website this thread is referring to but I'm not sure Beachcomber was in the top 2? Its been argued that the Arctic report may not even show Arctic as being on the best insulated spa in their own report. There have been issues with the report that have been hashed over MANY times so we could argue about that report till the cows come home.

http://www.envy-spa.de/content/view/85/111/

Just an FYI....We removed that study because of the age of the study. I think it was done in 2000 or '01 and both our product and our competitor's products have changed dramatically since then. So we felt, for the most part, it no longer accurately represents the energy consumption on spas today.

J

Just an FYI....We removed that study because of the age of the study. I think it was done in 2000 or '01 and both our product and our competitor's products have changed dramatically since then. So we felt, for the most part, it no longer accurately represents the energy consumption on spas today.

J

If you don't mind James, I will hold to my opinion that at no time did it accurately or fairly represent the energy usage.

If you don't mind James, I will hold to my opinion that at no time did it accurately or fairly represent the energy usage.

No problem Roger. :) That's the great thing about Canada, we are all entitled to our opinion.

I should send a letter to several manufacturers regarding sending spas here to my place to test them. I'll need the top of the line most energy effiecient model they have please. I'll hook them up and run them through rigorious testing and record the results. Oh wait.......didn't someone else try this???? Maybe he was an dumbass and the manufacturers will send to a nice guy? :D