Need Advice For Best Cover Lifter Choice

AMG

I was hoping to get some advice from Dan, Petey, and the other "gurus" out there. I have a 1995 HotSpring Grandee and want to get a cover lifter. I looked online and their are so many of them and they range in price from the $80 area to the $350 area. Around my spa some sides have 6-8 feet before anything would be in your way. The side I would like to place the cover lifter (the side that doesn't block my beautiful view of the valley OR block my view of my pool has 44" of room before you have the large wood support for my patio.

So what cover lifter might you recommend I get? I am more than able to lift the cover as it is now. I am 31, my girl is 28, so if for $200 more in a cover lifter it simply makes it easier if your older, then I don't need that specific feature.

Thanks for your help.

I am in the market for one too, so am curious as to what people say on the matter.

Same kind of thing... looking for convenience rather than inability to lift the cover.

You can get most kinds on ebay for $70-150, from what I can see.

IMO there are a lot of cheap lifters out there and some are decent but on larger spas like this post is referring to you I think you need a sturdy lifter that can handle that large cover or you're pissing away $ (IMO). I'm not saying you need to get the most expensive one out there but you also want one that'll perform well and last. Hot Spring has specific lifters for a spa like this that work very well or you go look at standard lifters such as the CoverMates but even then its hit and miss for a spa this size I believe. For instance, the Covermate I works fine for most spas IMO but I personally would not put that on a spa the size of a Grandee. I'd opt for a Covermate III and if you try the two in a showroom you'll see the difference immediately. For a mid sized spa I don't think it would matter but for a spa this size I think it does. The thing to note on a CM-III is the cover sits very high when opened which blocks that side view which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your setup.

I am in the market for one too, so am curious as to what people say on the matter.

Same kind of thing... looking for convenience rather than inability to lift the cover.

IMO there are a lot of cheap lifters out there and some are decent but on larger spas like this post is referring to you I think you need a sturdy lifter that can handle that large cover or you're pissing away $ (IMO). I'm not saying you need to get the most expensive one out there but you also want one that'll perform well and last. Hot Spring has specific lifters for a spa like this that work very well or you go look at standard lifters such as the CoverMates but even then its hit and miss for a spa this size I believe. For instance, the Covermate I works fine for most spas IMO but I personally would not put that on a spa the size of a Grandee. I'd opt for a Covermate III and if you try the two in a showroom you'll see the difference immediately. For a mid sized spa I don't think it would matter but for a spa this size I think it does. The thing to note on a CM-III is the cover sits very high when opened which blocks that side view which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your setup.

thanks for the input everyone.

spatech, my grandee is big, yes I know... The ones that I see online seem like $350-$400 for the lifter. If that is what I have to pay, then I guess I will have to. It just seems like a lot for what I get. Maybe its the pneumatic shocks and all, but I dunno.

http://www.backyardplus.com/accessories-co...fter-models.php

CoverCradle I & CoverCradle II

I see the CoverMade III on eBay at @207. Intsall instructions look easy.

I guess I need to go visit a spa store in person. I have no idea what it will feel like using a $400 lifter vs this $207 CMIII.

thanks for the input everyone.

spatech, my grandee is big, yes I know... The ones that I see online seem like $350-$400 for the lifter. If that is what I have to pay, then I guess I will have to. It just seems like a lot for what I get. Maybe its the pneumatic shocks and all, but I dunno.

http://www.backyardplus.com/accessories-co...fter-models.php

CoverCradle I & CoverCradle II

I see the CoverMade III on eBay at @207. Intsall instructions look easy.

I guess I need to go visit a spa store in person. I have no idea what it will feel like using a $400 lifter vs this $207 CMIII.

If you are looking for a lifter that puts the cover lower, try the Covermate II. It puts it about 12-18 inches above the side of the tub when open. It gives you privacy in the tub, without totally blocking your view of the sky. I have it on my Vanguard (which is not quite as big as yours, but pretty close) and it has no problem with my cover, even when it is crusted with snow and ice. One note though, I originally had it with the undermount mounts that just slide under your tub. While those work fine in the summer, if you live in an area with lots of snow, they are a pain. (anyone want a set, cheap?)I remounted my lifter this summer with regular mounts and so far it has worked well with the couple feet of snow we have had so far, but the winter has just started, ask me in February after another 200 inches or so. :o Even with the regular mounts, since the lifter rests on the ground when open, you do have to keep the snow somewhat cleared on that side. Just my 2 cents. Randy

My Grandee is about 92" x 98". Thankfully the direction I really want the cover to flip back is the direction the cover actually can flip (flips on the 98" direction). How large is the vanguard? If it's around the same size, then maybe a CM 2 is what I want. I live in San Diego, my spa is on a concrete slab, never any snow, etc. It should work nice. undermount looks like what I want (gets it as low as possible as to not get visible in the way

Good info guys! Keep them coming!!

The downside I can find on the CoverMate II is that I have to drain my spa to install it. I am so tired of draining it... but I guess I can.

I found a photo of the CoverMate III with the cover back. Wow that looks really high. I absolutely do not need any privacy value of having my cover up in the air. I would prefer the cover be as inconspicuous as possible when off. The CoverMate II looks a lot better of a solution.

The Cover RockIt looks really cool. It says up to 96" , mine is 98" , but it will fip on the 92" wide side. So this may work... Check it out below. I did read posts that say it is "undermount - light duty" where the "CoverMate II" is listed as "undermount - heavy duty" and CoverMate II side mount is "medium duty". I dont want a light duty piece of crap.

CoverMate III/3 (looks like that is my spa exactly too!)

covermate3-3.jpg

covermate3-4.jpg

CoverMate II/2

covermate2-big.jpg

covermate2-1.jpg

Cover RockIt

rockit-main.gif

The issue you will have with finding a lift for your Grandee is that your spa is 98-99" long. That means all of these lifts that are designed to for spas up to 96", the side arms are not going to reach all of the way to the hinge. It's not an impossible problem. The cover lift will lift where the cover is. You will fold the cover over and it will slide down to the bar an inch or so. When you replace the cover, you will slide the cover back over an inch or so.

For the Grandee, if you are not interested in or cannot use the tray style systems like the Cover Caddy or Cover Shelf, you can use any of the lifts that have the bar going all across the middle of the cover as I noted above or with a Cover Saver strap system. The Cover Saver installation instructions actually talk about bringing the center bar back a bit which is where yours will be anyway.

This is all assuming you are splitting the 99" in half with the fold. If not, there are other options (lesser and sometimes more expensive).

The new design on the Cover Rock-It is also an undermount system. So if you don't want to drain your tub, I would cross it off your list. There is a Covermate 2 that is sidemount and doesn't require you draining the spa. It's actually cheaper too. The Covermate 3 may not work in your case because it has grap pins that attach under the fold to keep it down as the gas shock is wanting the pull the thing up. Your bar isn't going to come all the way to the fold.

All that said, if you have a Hot Spring OEM cover and/or plan to get another one, the Cover Cradle systems from Hot Spring are very nice albeit proprietary and pricey. They work very well.

Shaamus,

Thanks for your input. If I have to drain, I have to drian. I can drain it and re-fill it in an afternoon and be back in business. I suppose it isn't a huge deal. I could wait a few months until I have to drain, but why...

Would the CoverMate II still work? My spa is like 92" wide. The cover is 92" x 98" so wouldn't the fact that the CoverMate II says up to 96" mean that if the cover folds back on the 92" wide side of the cover, then wouldn't the CoverMate II work? Hmm....

spa_dimensions.JPG

I was hoping to get some advice from Dan, Petey, and the other "gurus" out there. I have a 1995 HotSpring Grandee and want to get a cover lifter. I looked online and their are so many of them and they range in price from the $80 area to the $350 area. Around my spa some sides have 6-8 feet before anything would be in your way. The side I would like to place the cover lifter (the side that doesn't block my beautiful view of the valley OR block my view of my pool has 44" of room before you have the large wood support for my patio.

So what cover lifter might you recommend I get? I am more than able to lift the cover as it is now. I am 31, my girl is 28, so if for $200 more in a cover lifter it simply makes it easier if your older, then I don't need that specific feature.

Thanks for your help.

All things being equal, I would get a Cover Cradle 2. Most of our customers do. However, you need to have a cover with the mounting brackets to make it work.

Thanks for your help.

All things being equal, I would get a Cover Cradle 2. Most of our customers do. However, you need to have a cover with the mounting brackets to make it work.

I'd suggest the Cover Cradle, as opposed to the Cover Cradle 2. The "Cover Cradle" has 2 gas springs on it that actually help you do some of the work, which is important on such a large spa. The Cover Cradle 2 only has 1 gas spring (yes I know that sounds backwards but trust me), and although it'll work, I'd still suggest the original 2 spring unit. It'll be better for a larger, heavier cover.

We sell several cover lifters, and even though the Cover Cradle is the most expensive, it probably makes up 80-90% of the lifters we sell. Keep in mind for anyone else reading this thread, the Cover Cradle only works on Hot Spring brand spas. Hot Spring (on their newer covers) puts a bracket inside them that is REQUIRED for the Cover Cradle to physically mount to (it's screwed to the cover).

AMG,

Make sure your cover has the brackets in one half of it. If you look at your cover, one half (where the handle is) will have a warning label printed on the vinyl. This is the "FRONT" of your cover. The other half (the REAR) does not have the warning label, but still has a handle. This is the half which will have the brackets in it. Feel along the flat edge of the cover and see if you can find the metal plate inside with your fingers.

If you have those brackets (they'll be on both sides, and the back of the cover) I'd suggest the Cover Cradle. It's more expensive, but it's a reliable and sturdy product which was specifically made for Hot Spring Spas. Normally however, I always recommend to my customers to let the dealer install the Cover Cradle, specifically because you don't get second chances to put the screw in the wrong place. ;) If you drill into the wrong part of the cover, you've now got a hole in your cover that will allow water to seep in faster than you'd like.

BTW: The Cover Cradle fits the new 2009 Grandee as well, which is slightly bigger than your 1995 Grandee. So I have no doubts that it'll fit.

CoverMate III/3 (looks like that is my spa exactly too!)

covermate3-3.jpg

covermate3-4.jpg

That's a Hot Spring Sovereign, which is smaller than yours. Great model though. :) We have so, so many Sovereigns in our market its not even funny.