Hl Error On Artic Spa Alskan

ryantr

Hey there, new to the board as we just purchased a used artic spa alaskin. I have had it running for about 3 weeks now and no probems. However i just went to get in and the temp was 80 and i was gettign an HL error. I reset the Gf breaker and am just waiting to seeif it heats backup. Any idea what this was caused by???

Thank you so much in advace

in my research i see that its a high limt error- that my water was too hot but just wondering what could have doen that? I was thinking that maybe my temperatre senor was going as i have it set at 104 and it xertainly doesnt feel 104.

so when this error happens it shuts off the heater? what would happen if i were out of town and this happened wouldit let it get so cold that the water froze. Iam ina place where we go extremely cold winters....

in my research i see that its a high limt error- that my water was too hot but just wondering what could have doen that? I was thinking that maybe my temperatre senor was going as i have it set at 104 and it xertainly doesnt feel 104.

so when this error happens it shuts off the heater? what would happen if i were out of town and this happened wouldit let it get so cold that the water froze. Iam ina place where we go extremely cold winters....

Where are things at now ryan? After the breaker reset, has the temp gone back up? Here to help!

Vern

Vern Nelson

North America Factory Rep

Blue Falls Manufacturing

Where are things at now ryan? After the breaker reset, has the temp gone back up? Here to help!

Vern

Vern Nelson

Blue Falls Manufacturing

yep it sure has Vern. So hopefully it was a one time thing. Any idea how i would locate the temperature sensor?

thanks so much

Ryan

Vern

Vern Nelson

Blue Falls Manufacturing

yep it sure has Vern. So hopefully it was a one time thing. Any idea how i would locate the temperature sensor?

thanks so much

Ryan

No worries! Often that's all it takes, and yes hopefully a one-time thing. It does happen...

Anyhow, maybe a good time to have a quick look "under the hood" and see what's going on. Your spa has two (2) temperature sensor probes - one is inserted onto the top of the heater barrel, the other is inserted through a small hole into the spa interior (from the spa interior, this can be observed as a silver bump that projects very slightly into bather area) Both have leads that trace back to the spa pack. The pack will send an HL error message to the topside if the probe in the heater reads 119 degrees or more, or if the probe in the water reads 112 degrees or more. Both of these errors will shut off the heater as a protective measure. Just a quick check will confirm that the heater probe is fully inserted in its "pocket", and that the spa probe has some foam sprayed against it to insulate it's reading from the ambient cabinet temperature.

To address your concern regarding a breaker trip resulting in an extended period without power - we often recommend that you place a small ceramic heater in the spa, running on a separate 120 v, and set on its lowest possible setting (some have a "frost" setting). In the event your breaker trips again in extremely cold weather, you will have bought some very cheap freeze protection.

In any case, if it trips again, let me know and we can dig into it deeper.

Happy Tubbin'

Vern

wow thanks for teh great info. I will certainly do this and let you know how it works out. I really really apprecaite it. Any idea how much a sensor is to replace if need be?

Ryan

No worries, as for a new probe I would think that you would be in the $50-100 range. Obviously dealers set their own pricing. Hope you never need one...;)

Vern

• 1 month later...

Hi Vern,

Just checked the forum for the very same thing i noticed tonight, the HL error. But no matter what I tried, (minus checking under the hood), it still is on. Hmm....Maybe I shouldn't of sent this until i check, lol. Well, I have it documented now so I'll check tomorrow....lol

Eddie

Hey there, new to the board as we just purchased a used artic spa alaskin. I have had it running for about 3 weeks now and no probems. However i just went to get in and the temp was 80 and i was gettign an HL error. I reset the Gf breaker and am just waiting to seeif it heats backup. Any idea what this was caused by???

Thank you so much in advace

Is your filter nice and clean?