Deck Or Ground?

arf1410

We are potential first time tub purchasers. Ours kids have now outgrown the high end swing set on a roughly 25' square pea gravel base. I find pea gravel actually more comfortable, and less lsippery when wet, to walk on with bare feet than a wood deck. It appears I can put a tub down directly on the pea gravel, and maybe get one of those spa umbrellas for shade / privacy from neighbors. Elsewere in the pea gravel, throw down an outdoor fire "pit" and a few chairs, and call it "good" at least for a while, as I don't want to spend more for a fancy deck / gazebo, etc, than for the tub itself. Any comments from forum readers regarding how important a big deck and surround structure is to enjoying the tub experience, or are people happy just throwing the tubs on the ground?

We are potential first time tub purchasers. Ours kids have now outgrown the high end swing set on a roughly 25' square pea gravel base. I find pea gravel actually more comfortable, and less lsippery when wet, to walk on with bare feet than a wood deck. It appears I can put a tub down directly on the pea gravel, and maybe get one of those spa umbrellas for shade / privacy from neighbors. Elsewere in the pea gravel, throw down an outdoor fire "pit" and a few chairs, and call it "good" at least for a while, as I don't want to spend more for a fancy deck / gazebo, etc, than for the tub itself. Any comments from forum readers regarding how important a big deck and surround structure is to enjoying the tub experience, or are people happy just throwing the tubs on the ground?

Are you in a snow area? you may have some issues if you need to shovel a path across the pea gravel.

The only other comment is how far from the house is this area? you may want to reconsider this site if it's a realtivleylong istance from your door. I like haveing my tub just a few steps from the door.

Have you considered a concrete pad within your graveled area? This will likely run +/-$600 and, in many peoples opinion, is preferable to simply putting a tub on gravel.

In the Seattle area, so snow is rare...Area is about 5' from door out back of garage, and 20' from sliding glass doors behind kitchen...while a concrete pad may have some merits as far as leveling and stability of hot tub, assuming you are talking a 8'-8' pad just under the tub, will make no difference regarding aesthetics or user comfort, etc. The brand (Costco/Strong) does state specifically that it can be placed directly on gravel...

Have you considered a concrete pad within your graveled area? This will likely run +/-$600 and, in many peoples opinion, is preferable to simply putting a tub on gravel.

In the Seattle area, so snow is rare...Area is about 5' from door out back of garage, and 20' from sliding glass doors behind kitchen...while a concrete pad may have some merits as far as leveling and stability of hot tub, assuming you are talking a 8'-8' pad just under the tub, will make no difference regarding aesthetics or user comfort, etc. The brand (Costco/Strong) does state specifically that it can be placed directly on gravel...

There are a couple of vendors that say you can put your spa on a gravel or other tamped-down base. They cite their extra sturdy base.

I think it's a marketing ploy. The base isn't going to keep the shell from flexing if the base settles. You don't want your shell to flex, and no matter what anyone says, if the base settles the spa will follow it. Figure 8 pounds per gallon of water - 355 gallons is over 2800 pounds - plus , 1000 pounds for the spa itself. It will settle, and as it does the shell will flex... creating stress. You can replace just about any part of a tub that fails. But not the shell. As I see it, shells are the most worrisome part of a hot tub, so I would always opt for a good concrete pad, 4" thick or more, with rebar.

Have a couple of pieces of rebar exposed so your electrician can tie an electrical bonding wire to it, just in case your electrical inspector requires this.

There are a couple of vendors that say you can put your spa on a gravel or other tamped-down base. They cite their extra sturdy base.

I think it's a marketing ploy. The base isn't going to keep the shell from flexing if the base settles. You don't want your shell to flex, and no matter what anyone says, if the base settles the spa will follow it. Figure 8 pounds per gallon of water - 355 gallons is over 2800 pounds - plus , 1000 pounds for the spa itself. It will settle, and as it does the shell will flex... creating stress. You can replace just about any part of a tub that fails. But not the shell. As I see it, shells are the most worrisome part of a hot tub, so I would always opt for a good concrete pad, 4" thick or more, with rebar.

Have a couple of pieces of rebar exposed so your electrician can tie an electrical bonding wire to it, just in case your electrical inspector requires this.

This is getting a little beyond the main purpose of my post, which was really deck / surround structure, or not necessary question...

but I do have about 6-9" of pea gravel down on "soil" that is hard as rock clay that takes a pick ax to get thru...Seeing as it is specifically allowed by the manufacturer, they should support the lifetime warranty if there is a problem, and I have confidence Costco will provide support if manufacturer balks or goes out of business...It is conceivable in 3-5 years I may very well do a deck or re-landscaping, so I really don't want to spend the extra $1000+ for a concrete pad...and contractors around seattle tend to charge 2 times (or more) what a job could be done for in the midwest....

Any comments from forum readers regarding how important a big deck and surround structure is to enjoying the tub experience, or are people happy just throwing the tubs on the ground?

A big deck and surround structure is not my prefered way to do it. I prefer under the stars on a solid concrete base. Just throwing the tub on the ground is a bad idea, no matter what brand you have. It will settle and move over time and may effect the life of the tub.