Pad Or No Pad?

canucker

I just bought an Arctic Summit and had originally planned to do a poured concrete pad as a base. The dealer was adamant however that this is totally unnecessary with this brand of

tub, and suggested a gravel screening base only that has been tempered down....dig to a 6" depth and then screen. Does this sound right to all you guys that know about these

things? My husband thinks that when we want to put our Gazebo/Pergola up next spring that it might cause a problem for this kind of pad....we would have to dig down about 4 feet

(cause of frost line) to secure the posts of the privacy structure.... Digging in such close proximity to the base could cause a shift he supposes...but neither of us really know.

I just bought an Arctic Summit and had originally planned to do a poured concrete pad as a base. The dealer was adamant however that this is totally unnecessary with this brand of

tub, and suggested a gravel screening base only that has been tempered down....dig to a 6" depth and then screen. Does this sound right to all you guys that know about these

things? My husband thinks that when we want to put our Gazebo/Pergola up next spring that it might cause a problem for this kind of pad....we would have to dig down about 4 feet

(cause of frost line) to secure the posts of the privacy structure.... Digging in such close proximity to the base could cause a shift he supposes...but neither of us really know.

I would go for the concrete pad, it is more stable, lasts longer, and does not track gravel into your tub.

Firstly, thank you for your purchase canucker. I hope it gives you and your family many years of enjoyment. I think perhaps what the salesperson was attempting to illustrate is that an Arctic Spa does not require a concrete foundation to provide structural stability to the spa shell, as is the case for most other spas. Additionally, if your spa is equipped with our Forever Floor it is also completely impervious to moisture and pests and makes a portable spa truly portable should the need ever arise. Having said this, if pouring concrete makes esthetic and financial sense for you, go for it! It sounds like you will have a beautiful backyard retreat by next spring. Thanks again.

Vern Nelson

North America Factory Rep

Blue Falls Manufacturing Ltd.

Manufacturers of Arctic Spa, Coyote Spa, Apollo Spa

Arctic Gazebos and Guild Billiards

Ok here is what I just did.I hope I don't regret it. Just got a used spa. Have not filled it and used it yet so I'm not sure what kind of condition it is in. Who knows how long it is going to last, so I built a 8'x8' pressure treated pad that sits on the ground. I packed sand all around to level it. I didn't want to pour concrete, too permanent. If the spa doesn't work out I can move to pad and regrow the grass. Anyone have pad/deck like this? I hope it holds up!

Anyone with a wooden pad on the ground?

I have had a couple wooden pads for tubs. As long as you used 4x4's as a frame work or very close centers on any 2 bys Like 6 inches you'll be good. Cover the frame with 3/4 treated, no worrys. Gravel works, pavers several other things and methods. Any tub will do just fine on a SOLID level foundation. Concrete is prefered for all brands (including Arctic) But any solid foundation will suffice. Read the warranty information and go with what is reccomended. I think Arctic is the only one that will allow anything. But there's reads SOLID level surface also.

Anyone with a wooden pad on the ground?

I built a similar pad about a year ago with 12" centers and 5/4" PTW decking for my Vanguard, sitting on a bed of about 6" of pea gravel. Has worked perfectly, no problems whatsoever.

Looks good, and was cheap to build. I too, am surprised I don't hear more people doing this.

Randy

Over 20 year in spa repair have told me that if you live anywhere the ground freezes a properly poured concrete pad is always preferable if possible. Everything else, gravel, wood frame, etc. will shift.

Additionally, concrete pads, especially if they extend at least 12 inches around the tub, inhibit rodents frome taking up residence in the spa casing, they don't like crossing the open space and cannot burrow in from the bottom.

with a gazebo definitly go concrete