Cool View On Costco Spa (made By Strong Spas)

Jason B

My gawd. I actually watched the whole move. And, I gotta make some comments on insulation issues I saw. Lets start with the cover. Now I haven't seen one of this in person yet, but it looks like the cover is hollow. I also saw no seals on it where it contacts with the spa (more on this later) or to itself in the middle. Nice job taking of the side panel. What? 4 little clasps? Again NO seal on the cabinet piece. (we'll get to the lack of seal later :-). Man! did you see ALL that insulation on the side of the spa? There must have been at LEAST 1/4"!. l Love the tray to warm the towels. I figure it goes right to the underneath area of the spa? Again, no seals on the hinge out tray.

Ok, lets get to the seal issue. Think AIR TIGHT weather stripping to prevent AIR INFILTRATION. It doesn't matter HOW well something is insulated, AIR INFILTRATION is almost always going to be the BIGGEST lose of heat. Talk to any high end building contractor about house wrap. The stuff is basically air tight, BUT seams HAVE to be taped with special tape to get maximum benefit...and this is done UNDER siding that is tightly nailed over it! Stand next to a door that isn't weatherstripped when it's cold outside (AND REMEMBER! Your spa is THIRTY FIVE degrees warmer than your house!!) and feel the breeze.

There's another problem as well. Say you were to go to the trouble of trying to weather strip everything. A big issue with plastic is the warpage, and expansion and contraction from heat and cold (there used to be a spa cover made of all plastic. They had NOTHING but issues with the expansion and contraction, and it took years to design couture that would allow the plastic to compress into itself rather than expand(think accordion). Then they started having issues with cracking due to the expansion and contraction).

SOMEONE PLEASE put a meter on one of these over the winter...assuming you keep it on throught the winter

Here's more on the cover:

http://strongpoolsandspas.com/page.php?pageid=21

Titan HardCover is full foam insulated with 3lb closed cell foam so it keeps the heat in and the cold out! Not only will it make your spa more efficient to run; it's safer, too.

Our engineers had safety in mind when designing the STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover. The cover easily holds well over 2000lbs, so kids & pets can't fall in and risk drowning. The key locking cover also protects the spa controls, and optional stereo system from theft.

Other spa covers take on water and become heavy and filled with bacteria, mold and mildew. They degrade and will need to be replaced every couple years. STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is bacteria resistant and impenetrable. It will never take on water, never degrade and will never need to be replaced! Guaranteed! The first and only HardCover backed with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is another terrific innovation from Strong Industries. We took the technology of our exclusive FORGE-CAST™ granite resin cabinet system and applied it to our spa cover design and the result is our amazing new Titan HardCover - the TOUGHEST spa cover on the market!

STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is full foam insulated so it keeps the heat in and the cold out. Our engineers payed extra attention to safety when designing the Titan HardCover. A keyed locking system insures your children are unable to remove the cover when locked. The locking cover also protects the spa controls, and optional stereo system from theft. Protect your family while protecting your investment with the Titan HardCover.

QUOTE (Jason B @ Sep 30 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's more on the cover:

http://strongpoolsandspas.com/page.php?pageid=21

Titan HardCover is full foam insulated with 3lb closed cell foam so it keeps the heat in and the cold out! Not only will it make your spa more efficient to run; it's safer, too.

Our engineers had safety in mind when designing the STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover. The cover easily holds well over 2000lbs, so kids & pets can't fall in and risk drowning. The key locking cover also protects the spa controls, and optional stereo system from theft.

Other spa covers take on water and become heavy and filled with bacteria, mold and mildew. They degrade and will need to be replaced every couple years. STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is bacteria resistant and impenetrable. It will never take on water, never degrade and will never need to be replaced! Guaranteed! The first and only HardCover backed with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is another terrific innovation from Strong Industries. We took the technology of our exclusive FORGE-CAST™ granite resin cabinet system and applied it to our spa cover design and the result is our amazing new Titan HardCover - the TOUGHEST spa cover on the market!

STRONG SPAS™ Titan HardCover is full foam insulated so it keeps the heat in and the cold out. Our engineers payed extra attention to safety when designing the Titan HardCover. A keyed locking system insures your children are unable to remove the cover when locked. The locking cover also protects the spa controls, and optional stereo system from theft. Protect your family while protecting your investment with the Titan HardCover.

Oh man...turns out it's an advertisement.....this is gonna be good...anyone have any popcorn?

That's the same cover concept that some other small company was touting that we discussed on another site a few weeks back. I would never get that over a traditional cover because I do not trust the center section where the two halves meet to seal up tight to begin with let alone a year or two after the cover starts to warp (as plastic will do). I'd love to see a picture taken of that with a thermal imaging camera because I don't think it would be pretty.

On the sides what they've done is create a story. With the pump exhausting air into the compartment people think its great because the heat will transfer to the spa but that air movement is called convection. Any gap to the outside world allows a transfer of air and that is where we hear of huge energy bills as that moving air makes its way out of any/all gaps.

I'll give them credit for at least trying to be different than the other cookie cutter spas that Costco sold that didn't cut it but is different better? It is if you're in Marketing but I don't pay much attention to words especially when its spin that hasn't been proven out. Enough people will buy the Strong to find out its true nature just as enough bought the Infinity, Keys, Hydro that preceded it at Costco and as a whole those belonged in a hole.

My south pacific tub is similar but it's essentially one molded piece inside and out. It has covers that screw on and it is FILLED inside with foam. The foam is all pieces formed to shape and on the bottom appears to be 1" sheet piled. This has been a concern of mine since I got it as I was just sure the bottom of the tub had no insulation at all under it, but I was surprised.

Mine is insulated with plastic bags of popcorn as well, plus mylar coated bubble wrap. Honestly, I think my budget $2700 spa is better insulated than that thing, its just not filled with lights and a hundred jets and a towel warmer. Wouldn't matter to me anyway since the jets I got are just fine, I'll geek the lights in myself and the outside is gonna be surrounded by my deck anyway.

normal_tubbin.jpg

Oh yeah... and my cover is better designed than that one - it comes with pillows!

LOL

Too bad YouTube is down right now. :( I can't watch the movie.

Kudos to Strong for trying... something. Let's face it though, this has already been tried and retired. Even Hot Spring many years ago tried a plastic cover that joined together in the center, and hasn't touched the idea for a long time. I had a chance to see one of those old Hot Spot Round models with that hard plastic lid on it recently. Not only was it a heavy little beast, but the joint in the middle did not inspire confidence.

But that was an old spa.. not a brand new plastic lid that just got molded.

I dunno. My spa has a five year warranty on that stuff. I've already spoken with the folks at south pacific once and they seem legit and ready to help so I have little doubt if it's needed I'll be able to get new lids. After 6 months on my deck I've noticed the tops of them do sag a little from when they were new, but they are not warped - just sorta "different" than they were on top. The structure of the lid itself seems fine and the spa definitely seals well; one feels no warmth outside the spa when it's closed. The outside is just ambient temp, and I really don't even feel any heat along the seam.

My only concern is how to glue weatherstrip back to it. The fellow on the phone said they have a primer they use. The weatherstrip has come loose on one corner and I have no idea how I'm going to reattach it, because glue don't stick to that kind of plastic.

I dunno. My spa has a five year warranty on that stuff. I've already spoken with the folks at south pacific once and they seem legit and ready to help so I have little doubt if it's needed I'll be able to get new lids. After 6 months on my deck I've noticed the tops of them do sag a little from when they were new, but they are not warped - just sorta "different" than they were on top. The structure of the lid itself seems fine and the spa definitely seals well; one feels no warmth outside the spa when it's closed. The outside is just ambient temp, and I really don't even feel any heat along the seam.

My only concern is how to glue weatherstrip back to it. The fellow on the phone said they have a primer they use. The weatherstrip has come loose on one corner and I have no idea how I'm going to reattach it, because glue don't stick to that kind of plastic.

I wonder if PVC primer and glue would work?