Hello All ! Hot Tub Newbie Here..

JR.

ok.. we are ready to purchase our first Hot Tub. we live near chicago.

To tell you the truth it seems that all high end Hot Tubs are very similar, so for me it boils down to the brand. In this environment, i am nervous about many companies and want to purchase product made by a strong company.

Today we looked at the Sundance Optima sold by the Great Escape. there are 10 stores within 50 miles of us and they have a large service department.

A friend has a Hot Springs Grandee, which we are considering. We also checked out an Artesian Grand Cayman, although i thought the Artesian Bimini two personal lounger 8 seat 91" x 132" was cool. don't know if anyone else has anything like it. Leisure world also sells Dimension One

note: footprint size isn't a problem..

questions:

1. at this level are we talking apples and apples?

2. is there another brand that we should investigate?

here's my "new" list (after reading many posts)

HotSprings

Sundance - Optima

Jacuzzi

Caldera - the cantabria looks cool.

ArticSpas

D1

Marquis - found out tonight that a friend has one of these.

2a. so, aside from features, i can't go wrong with one of these?

3. are the warranties all the same from one company to the next?

4. what parts are the most problematic? heaters? pumps? ecu's?

5. at this level is the build quality all the same?

6. is there a strong 800lb gorilla in this field. ( i am thinking Jacuzzi - Sundance, but what do i know.. )

7. are most tubs 36" deep

8. how important is the foot massage?

9. is there a question or two that i should have asked.

thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Disclaimer: I sell Hot Spring.

This is what I like to share regarding manufacturers in this economy.

The 800 # Gorilla is Watkins Manufacturing, the maker of Hot Spring and Caldera Spas. Here is why. Watkins is a division of a Fortune 100 company, Masco Corp. (Delta Faucets, Behr Paints...)To my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) they are the only US company that is part of a publicly traded corporation. All others are privately owned. What that means to you in this economy is peace of mind. If a privately held company goes away, you are on your own with your warranty. A publicly traded company has to have a reserve fund to protect your warranty if they go away. Federal Law. Monitored.

Not saying anyone is going away. But, we have lost a few manufacturers this year and who knows.

If you think the tubs are very similar, I would think the above might be a deciding factor.

I will let others address your other questions.

If you think the tubs are very similar, I would think the above might be a deciding factor.

I would agree with the above except the deciding factor would be your butt. Which one feels the best when you sit in it wet, or dry. I would also add Marquis and Arctic to your list and don't ever discount D1.

Dissclaimer: I don't sell any brand or even own one of my own. But I have serviced at least one of every brand you mentioned and some of those I have seen hundreds. And I have seen, sat in or serviced all of the above and those I mentioned.

Dissclaimer: I don't sell any brand or even own one of my own. But I have serviced at least one of every brand you mentioned and some of those I have seen hundreds. And I have seen, sat in or serviced all of the above and those I mentioned.

wait, wait, wait. Roger, you don't own a hot tub????

DK117

hey HotTubDan,

thanks for the reply.

i don't know if the companies are similar in terms of strength, that's what i am asking.

it's generally easy to determine if a company is shaky, they start acting weird and their cash flow is BAD. REAL BAD !

regarding functions and features, i have NO idea as we are at the beginning of our search

Not saying anyone is going away. But, we have lost a few manufacturers this year and who knows.

Roger,

thanks for the reply..

i have edited my original post and that's what i love about these forums, in less than 2 hours i know twice what i knew before i joined.

I would agree with the above except the deciding factor would be your butt. Which one feels the best when you sit in it wet, or dry. I would also add Marquis and Arctic to your list and don't ever discount D1.

wait, wait, wait. Roger, you don't own a hot tub????

DK117

OK I take that back I have an old Viking tipped on it's side next to my garage that I am trying to find time to reburb. I own that one. So far in 2009 I have owned only 3 and soaked in the ones I owned only about 8-10 times. I use a sauna. Once I get one fixed up and full of water for sale I usualy soak a couple times in it.

Hello Jr,

I would recommend that you go into Leisure World and wet test what they have, the are a large D1 dealer that has been around for quite along time. I wouldn't make a decision until you have wet tested the spas that meed your needs. I would suggest you check out the Sarena Bay and the Amore Bay, they are both have massage sequencer controls and his and her seating. Check them out, you won't be disappointed..!

Dennis

Tech Rep

D1 Spas.

Hey Jr,

I'm not a dealer, nor tech...just a user. I've owned Viking, Tiger River and now a Caldera hot tub.

I think you are on the money. Among the quality manufuactuers that you've stated, the build quality is comparable. I'd stay away from the lower end, budget tubs. buy quality forma a quality dealer.

Sure they'll be differences in amount of pumps, jets, layout, lights, and each manufactuer will try to seperate themselves from the others and claim thier filtration, or therapy jets or ozone system is far and away vastly superior. Eh. Understand the

differences, but I don't think they are make or break items.

Im my book I think amoung the quality tubs, you'll get a decent product. The 800lb gorrilla is Watkins, They manufacture Hotsprings, Caldera, Tiger River, Limelight and a few others I can't recall. That's not to say the other tubs aren't as good, it's just that for whatever it's worth, and since you asked - Watkins is indeed the industry leader.

Here's a few tips off the top of my head to help you out....

1) Wet test. Wet test several tubs from several brands so you can compare.

2) Stick with the name brands.

3) research the dealer. (BBB, and the internet are good resources) The best tub can be ruined by a lousy dealer.

4) If you live in a cold climate get a 240v tub.

5) I prefer Full foamed tubs and a with a quality manufactuer, the insualtion scheme is secondary.

This will annoy people, but I wouldn't let my friends by a tub from:

Internet

Big box store

Tent Sales

Traveling "Spa Shows"

Master spas

Viking

Thermal Spas

perhaps it's coincidence, but for what it's worth the nicest folks I have met in the business all have been Hotsprings employees. Go figure.

I would recomend Hotsprings, Tiger River, and Caldera. But that's my bias.

Waterfalls, fancy lights. and shiny trim on jets are very nice, but if on a budget I wouldn't pay extra for them. The same goes for blowers and other "accesories". I realy like them, but adding all these "extras" can bump the price significantly.

I would however pay extra for a quality cover lifter (and recomend you get one). A solid set of stairs are also a nice investment, but if on a budget the cheap plastic ones are fine.

Hot tub Radios are way overpriced. if you must have one, have someoen stand behind you to cath you when you see the price.

I belive in Ozone and running it 24/7.

Horspower and jet count are meaningless. It's how they work and feel. You need to wet test. However, I would recoemnd get a tub with a variety of jets, and differnt seating options. Avoid tubs with a bunch of tiny jets and no larger therapy jets. You want a good solid variety.

6 seats doesn't mean it will sit 6 adults at the same time comfortably. It means there's six differnt seats.

Always get an extra set of filters,

Don't get excited when they say they'll toss The "free supply of chemicals. usualy they give you a sample starter pack. To outfit your chemical needs

you will spend over $100.

Silver ion Cartridges have never made a difference in my hot tubs.

I like cup holders and "cool off seats"

There can be some great deals to be had on left over models and floor models.

Don't forget to budget in electrical work, and the foundation.

Ask questions. Lots of them.

Oh yea....have fun. B)

This will annoy people, but I wouldn't let my friends by a tub from:

Internet

Big box store

Tent Sales

Traveling "Spa Shows"

Master spas

Viking

Thermal Spas

IMO the exception is when the tent sale/spa show is being done by a local dealer but even then I'd probably look at the pas at the tent sale/show and then go to the showroom to view a few days later to see what their setup is like (I want to get a good feeling from their showroom that they are a class operation) and then wet test at that showroom.

I would never buy a spa from a show where it someone outside the area coming in to sell product because shortly thereafter the tent will come down, they'll leave town and you'll feel left out in the cold.

Disclaimer: I sell, love, drink, and am passionate about the Hot Spring "Koolaid."

On the note of tent sales, etc: If it's your permanent local dealer, I don't think it's a big deal. However, there are a lot of traveling hot tub sales these days. Buying from them could still mean a good hot tub, but it could mean no local service at all. So be very, very careful there. In the end: Buy Local!

Hot Spring, Tiger River, Caldera (as previously mentioned) are great spas, all backed by Watkins Manufacturing, which is backed by Masco Corp. That really does mean something, as was suggested further up. This is a manufacturer that is very solid right now, and is run by extremely good people. I've met several of their regional reps, marketing folks, etc. Very above board group of folks who run and operate this company.

I'm not going to enter a bunch of sales pitch here, but I really do believe Hot Spring makes a better quality spa, which will be easier to use, and more energy efficient than about everything out there. I base this on specs, personal experience, and electric meters which we've placed on customer's spas (both ours and competitive brands) in a cold climate (Montana).

Lots of folks say to let your butt decide what's best. However, I think your brain has to narrow things down first. It's just like real life. Just because it feels good, doesn't always mean it's good for you.

Your Questions:

1. Not 100% apples to apples. Each manufacturer has different ideas/theories on many things (insulation, circulation, filtration, etc) It's fruit to fruit though. :)

2. Not that I would add.

3. Warranties are not all the same. Read the details, some include or exclude certain things that others may or may not.

4. Often times it's heaters. Second to that, it's pumps. I like Hot Spring's use of Titanium heaters & 24/7 circ pumps to save energy and wear & tear on your larger/more expensive jet pumps. (not to mention quieter)

5. Many will tell you it is.... but I disagree.

6. Watkins Manufacturing, makers of Hot Spring Spas

7. Spa depths can vary from as little as 29", to 33", 36", 38", and deeper depending on over all size and models.

8. Foot massage is all about the user. That's a preference you'll need to determine by sitting in a few spas.

9. Ask about your dealer. Learn some more about what they do, how long they've done it, where they service (in case you're out of town).

i want to thank everyone for posting a reply. i must say that i am very impressed not only by your knowledge but also the speed at which you replied.

as a newbie here, it warms my heart that you have such a fabulous site to exchange thoughts and ideas in an adult manner.

hats off to you guys and gals who make this site the success that it is. my friend has a hot springs and he was the person who recommended this site.

thank all of you!

latest update:

thank you again to those who took the time to help us on or search..

it looks like the Hot Springs Grandee is at the top of our list and next week we will do a bit more research..

i like the fact that Hot Springs is backed by a large corporation and that Hot Springs makes one of the most energy efficient spas.

what's the worst thing anyone can say about Hot Springs, not much it seems.