Newbie On A Budget

KK117

I understand that a forum for hot tubs will generally attract high end hot tub enthusiasts. But I'm a first timer. I even went to craigslist today and saw a really nice Saratoga for $1200 (the seller hasn't returned my call or e-mail, I assume he must have already sold it.) Actually I'd prefer a new hot tub, but am not going to spend 10K on my first tub. Can some of the experienced folks on this board give me a bit of advise? I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, so kid friendly is a plus. I was looking at Arctic spas, but I think they are out of my price range.

All suggestions welcomed.

KK117

Sounds like my frame of mind 2-3 years ago. We decided to go with a Tiger River Sumatran for about $4400 from a long time fairly local dealer. It is a good size, 6' x6', for my family (Me, Wife, 8yr & 11yr girls) We have had no issues at all, while 2 other friends of ours went with a Tent Show & a used tub. Both tubs are off brands, the used one is 14+ years old. The tent show tub has been problems from day one and the used one took so much time & money to get in good shape, new would have saved. I have had the most relaxing story of us all, for whatever that is worth.

I have always looked at buying used as just buying someone else's problems, though I know that isn't always true. I just don't know many people who get rid of something that is in great condition, though it is not unheard of. If you do go used, make sure you have a good source for parts, if they are available.

Buying new from a local reputable dealer has its advantages, not to mention delivery being included... though ironically I helped move both of my friends.

Good Luck on whatever you decide!

I understand that a forum for hot tubs will generally attract high end hot tub enthusiasts. But I'm a first timer. I even went to craigslist today and saw a really nice Saratoga for $1200 (the seller hasn't returned my call or e-mail, I assume he must have already sold it.) Actually I'd prefer a new hot tub, but am not going to spend 10K on my first tub. Can some of the experienced folks on this board give me a bit of advise? I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, so kid friendly is a plus. I was looking at Arctic spas, but I think they are out of my price range.

KK117

We, too, are looking for a tub that isn't too expensive. Do you have any dealers in your area that sell preused hot tubs that come with a warranty? We are looking into that as an option. Good luck on your search!

As a relatively new owner who is only now coming to terms with the care needed to maintain one of these puppies, I will tell you that I am now happier than ever I listened to my gut telling me "buying a used tub is a mistake." Maybe it won't be for everyone, but if you never had a tub before AND you're buying a used tub I think you'd really be taking a chance. Was the tub properly shut down? How was it maintained? Was the water left all acidic, slowly eating away at all the parts while harboring all sorts of nasty micro-life? Or was it just drained and left to sit through a winter or two, allowing all the pumps and pipes to crack and weaken?

I looked at several 2k-3k tubs and really hoped I could cheap out, but in the end bought a tub from a local dealer in the hopes of getting decent support. At the very least I didn't have to worry about laying out 2 grand on a tub then getting to replace half the stuff in it, or getting some sort of weird rash or boils or something.

KK117

I would not suggest a used (preowned, preloved, prewhatever) tub for a first timer unless you have boundless patience, a good local dealer network you can trust, and a willingness to spend whatever you saved on a used tub on repairs. If you want to do the work yourself, it's not rocket science but you have to be patient and be willing to call out the experts when needed.

I bought a 3 year old Jacuzzi J345 off CL for $1800. It is my second hot tub. It cost me $250 to move. It had two broken jets, the pillows were junk, and I needed a second set of filters. Add $300. Startup chemicals and a test kit added another $200. Then a week after decontaminating it, it sprung a leak. This is where establishing a relationship with the local dealer BEFORE you buy the tub pays off. They helped me find the leak over the phone, no charge. I chose to spend $160 to have them replace the jet, which was leaking at the shell seal and most likely was due to the move. So now my $1800 tub has cost me $2710, but I'm still very, very happy I made the decision to buy used. An equivalent year old show model was $6700 delivered at the dealer. I would much rather have a good clean used top brand model than a new big box tub, any day.

Think long and hard about this. There are many horror stories on this board about used tubs. I think I got away easy. Time will tell. If my story scares you, stay away...stay very far away.

Good luck.

ok, so no Costco tubs? (why?) I've seen the other threads on this subject but there are several happy owners of the $3500 Costco tub.

So let me ask another question (and thanks for all the feedback thus far.) Can I go to a show (fair, boat/RV show etc) and get a deal, maybe on a floor model from a local dealer? Can you get the quality and support from a local dealer in the $3500 range? In the sub $5000 range?

To further qualify my questions, it's not the pennies I'm counting, I simply can't be sure my family will use a hot tub on a regular basis and esentially want to try an inexpensive tub for a few years and will upgrade if it becomes a lifestyle as it is for many here.

Thanks

KK117

I got a south pacific and still love it. It has a built in lid that opens so there's no messing with add-ons, it seats two adults and two kids reasonably well, and it doesn't have all that add-on stuff to go bad (I already have plenty of music sources, thanks, and I don't need pillows in the pool). What it doesn't have is a huge number of jets, but it still does quite well. It cost me less than 3 grand, brand new.

ok, so no Costco tubs? (why?) I've seen the other threads on this subject but there are several happy owners of the $3500 Costco tub.

So let me ask another question (and thanks for all the feedback thus far.) Can I go to a show (fair, boat/RV show etc) and get a deal, maybe on a floor model from a local dealer? Can you get the quality and support from a local dealer in the $3500 range? In the sub $5000 range?

To further qualify my questions, it's not the pennies I'm counting, I simply can't be sure my family will use a hot tub on a regular basis and esentially want to try an inexpensive tub for a few years and will upgrade if it becomes a lifestyle as it is for many here.

Thanks

KK117

There are plenty of under 5 grand value lines out there that come with dealer support. Marquis makes a value line. D1 makes a value line. Great Lakes and Viking also come to mind.

Thanks

KK117

This is why my husband and I bought a spa at Costco. We've had ours for a little over 2 years with no problems - we're DIYers though, and added insulation and fixed a few minor glitches using advice from the pros on this site. Turns out, we only use the spa about once or twice a week on the weekend, less than that in hot weather. When the spa dies, I'm not sure that we'd buy another. If we had spent $10K on a spa that just sits in the yard, I'd be kicking myself big time so I don't regret the decision to only spend $3K on a Costco spa.

Sandi

We had a similar mindset and budget when purchasing our hot tub and ultimately purchased a new Freeflow TLX through a local dealer a month ago. Cost was $3499 and that includes all the dealer support and a free cover lifter. Freeflow also makes some smaller tubs at a lower price point, but the TLX appealed to us because of the simple design (just a bench seat all the way around) and depth.

So far, it has been a great tub and it meets all of our needs - keeps the water hot, a few well-placed jets, well insulated, rugged roto-molded shell, and easy to operate and maintain. Bonus was that we got the "plug & play" that didn't require we run a dedicated electrical line (saved several hundred bucks there).

Thus far, we're happy with the price we paid and the product we got. We're also glad we bought through a local dealer, as the delivery, set up, and support for our questions has been invaluable.

Hey all, thanks again for your feedback. The Costco Evolution Mediterranean spa is looking attractive right now. In fact Sandi's post in this thread and others on this forum exactly mirrors my thinking. Hot tubbing is not yet a lifesytle decision for my family, we'll figure that out over time. (and probably upgrade if this becomes a passion as it is for many on this forum.) We're pursuing a new patio bid for a slab with a pergola so total project cost is a real isue. We'd need to include installation, wiring and ongoing support for our tub in our thinking

Even if we're 18 months out I'll be sure to publish pictures when the project is completed. And I promise I will share if the tub falls apart after two years :lol:

KK117

one more thing

http://www.evospas.com/Mediterranean.html

They really talk up their insulation and cabinet, the technical rep responded to my e-mail questions in under three hours. Seems like good customer support to me. A friend ordered a Costco hot tub two years ago (different manufacturer) and returned in 90 days. I'm going into this with eyes wide open, but if I get a lemon, I'm only out moving and electrical expenses.

I don't really want to rehash the big box vs dealer conversation that has already been well covered. But this seems to be a logical choice for a first timer. And I will bring business to a local chemical/repair/moving shop for support.

KK117

I was looking used vs. new as well all summer as just couldnt spend $$$$ on a hot tub. Loved the local Hot springs tubs but the dealer wouldn't budge on their price and the cheapest I got quoted was A Tiger River Bengal (made by hot spring) at 6,600 and it was a base model and I mean base. Ended up buying a new Pinnacle Summit which is the hydro spa Mellinium design for $4,900 including tax and delivery from local dealer. Pinnacle is a division of Premium leisure who bought out the Hydro spa line. Hydro spa seems to be a target on some sites because they went bankrupt or what ever but so far I love this tub. It's been less than a month so time will tell but in this short time I feel I got a lot of tub for the money. But back to your decision I would only say that only buy used if you steal it. Also think about getting it to your house and resting place as it's not like getting a couple of buddies to help you with a TV or couch you just bought as I was thinking it was. As I watched the delivery guys and specific hot tub equiptment they used, I said to myself I would have never pulled it off if I bought used (unless you buy used from a dealer of course). Also if you get it home and there is leak that they forgot to tell you about, you are on your own and if your not real handy you will be shocked at some quotes you get to have it fixed. You really need some warrenty support and someone to be able to call if something goes wrong. Just my opinion. Good luck.