Onzen Retrofit!

tonsoffun

Hi everyone,

Been lurking here a while and want to thank everyone for posting info etc. Anyways, I have an Artic Summit that was delivered 2 weeks ago and been having a hard time and pulling my hair out (Whats left of it) getting my water clear, and won't go into my problems with cut hoses (2 Service calls), pump blowing fuses and I found 2 kinked hoses etc!. Who does the quality checks at Arctic, get with it!

So I Did a test to see if the Onzen is working, bingo, no bubbles. So I placed a service call this morning for them to check this. The service proceeded to tell me that they need to come and do a Onzen retrofit and it concerns plumbing issues :unsure: , this needs to be done on all the tubs built within the last few months.

So just a heads up for everyone that bought tubs within the last couple of months from Arctic Spa.

Jesus, what is next for me, I have a $12000 plus tub sitting in my backyard that I only used 3 times since I got it.

Take care

Ron

Hi everyone,

Been lurking here a while and want to thank everyone for posting info etc. Anyways, I have an Artic Summit that was delivered 2 weeks ago and been having a hard time and pulling my hair out (Whats left of it) getting my water clear, and won't go into my problems with cut hoses (2 Service calls), pump blowing fuses and I found 2 kinked hoses etc!. Who does the quality checks at Arctic, get with it!

So I Did a test to see if the Onzen is working, bingo, no bubbles. So I placed a service call this morning for them to check this. The service proceeded to tell me that they need to come and do a Onzen retrofit and it concerns plumbing issues :unsure: , this needs to be done on all the tubs built within the last few months.

So just a heads up for everyone that bought tubs within the last couple of months from Arctic Spa.

Jesus, what is next for me, I have a $12000 plus tub sitting in my backyard that I only used 3 times since I got it.

Take care

Ron

Not loving the idea that I just bought a glacier With onzen and it will be made in late Aug delivery foe early Sept. Hoping I don't have a similar storyline with mine.

The service proceeded to tell me that they need to come and do a Onzen retrofit and it concerns plumbing issues ... this needs to be done on all the tubs built within the last few months...

Thank you for purchasing our product. I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues and I want to reassure you that we stand behind our product and will work to make things right. Your comments have been sent to our Director of Production for review with the QA team (this will require the serial number of your spa, as requested below).

However, this retrofit thing is curious. We have not issued a retrofit alert, and have announced no production changes to Onzen since Dec. 2008.

Tonsoffun, please email me (tom at goarctic dot com) with the S/N of your spa and the name of the dealer who provided the service. I want to look into this further.

Thanks in advance for your time.

UPDate: I have heard from this customer and will work towards a resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

I received a Glacier Spa beginning of July with Onzen System. I used it A LOT during my 3 weeks of holidays. Kept the spa balanced at all times (tested weekly at store) but the water was always "murky" and test strips always showed bromine at 0 with CP6 setting. Talked to sales several times and then ~ end of Aug I was told to call service and they would come out and fix my Onzen system. The design of the placement of the Electrode that produces the bromine was recessed into a plastic tube at the bottom of the spa (has like a goaly mask over it). The service removed this recessed tube and the fix now has the electrode extend into the spa, with a protective cover over it. I assume that the problem was that the salt would not "flow" into the recessed area and produce bromine at a sufficient level. I have just finished filling my spa and will post again how well this is working.

Comment: I do like the feel of the Onzen system. I also have a chlorine based pool and prefer the "feel" of the salt system.

Hi everyone,

Take care

Ron

Hello there to all.

I purchased an Arctic Spa Cub Signature series tub. Paid $11,550. Delivery was on July 27th or so. Had it a couple of weeks and was never able to get a correct bromine reading ever. So I phoned and complained and complained and complained....well turns out they had to do a retro fit with the Onzen system. They came on August 31st and did the retro fit. Had to wait 24 hrs for glue or whatever to dry I guess. Filled tub and added chemicals. It's September 6th today. Last night (the 5th) did a test with strips and voi la, the bromine level was finally correct. The only thing I've had to adjust is the pH level because it is high. So now I'm just in the process of adjusting that. Oh ya the water was cloudy but I'm told that will clear up over time because I just filled tub. It's already started to clear up since last night. Cheers to all and hope to hear from everyone on how their retro fit did. I do love the tub though. I think I should have got a bigger one with more jets. Whats your opinion? :D

ok. had tub on boost cycle and it's done. Just did a test again with strips. pH is on the high side (7.8) so I just added a half a cap full of the "adjust down" again put on boost cycle and will se what happens. I'm sure it will be fine now. Am going to go to the dealer with a water sample just to make sure.

Hi everyone,

Take care

Ron

Hello there to all.

I purchased an Arctic Spa Cub Signature series tub. Paid $11,550. Delivery was on July 27th or so. Had it a couple of weeks and was never able to get a correct bromine reading ever. So I phoned and complained and complained and complained....well turns out they had to do a retro fit with the Onzen system. They came on August 31st and did the retro fit. Had to wait 24 hrs for glue or whatever to dry I guess. Filled tub and added chemicals. It's September 6th today. Last night (the 5th) did a test with strips and voi la, the bromine level was finally correct. The only thing I've had to adjust is the pH level because it is high. So now I'm just in the process of adjusting that. Oh ya the water was cloudy but I'm told that will clear up over time because I just filled tub. It's already started to clear up since last night. Cheers to all and hope to hear from everyone on how their retro fit did. I do love the tub though. I think I should have got a bigger one with more jets. Whats your opinion? :D

ok. had tub on boost cycle and it's done. Just did a test again with strips. pH is on the high side (7.8) so I just added a half a cap full of the "adjust down" again put on boost cycle and will se what happens. I'm sure it will be fine now. Am going to go to the dealer with a water sample just to make sure.

I should be getting my glacier in the next few days with onzen. Man I do hope this isn't going to be my story as well

Well, So far so good. Water is clearing up well. Water test from store said I needed to get bromine level up so I bumped up the Onzen to CP6. Alkalinity was low so adjusted that too. Will keep you informed anyways. Oh just one thing I'd like to say as well, was told that I'll save tons of money in buying chemicals with the salt system, well I would be over $250 so far if had to buy all the chemicals so far. A lot has been covered by warranty due to problem with Onzen system.

Well, So far so good. Water is clearing up well. Water test from store said I needed to get bromine level up so I bumped up the Onzen to CP6. Alkalinity was low so adjusted that too. Will keep you informed anyways. Oh just one thing I'd like to say as well, was told that I'll save tons of money in buying chemicals with the salt system, well I would be over $250 so far if had to buy all the chemicals so far. A lot has been covered by warranty due to problem with Onzen system.

I am glad everyone is getting things worked out. I had mine changed last Thursday and waited the 24 hrs as well for the silicon to dry.

It took a couple of days for the water to clear up and get that salt disolved, but now things are crystal clear. I had the cp at 6 in the beggining and is working to good :D had to lower the cp back to 3 to lower the readings.

I actually put in about 4 caps of adjust down for me, and it is perfect now.

I've been watching this board for months now. NOT because I'm new at hot tubs. Owned quite a few over the last 30 years. I can safely say I know a bit about them. That being said, I thought I was making the PERFECT choice purchasing what *I* thought was the best tub in the market today. Arctic Spas' premise is all great and good and wonderfully created, but I think my tub, The Kodiak, fully loaded, was built on a late friday afternoon. A COMPLETE lemon!!! After only ONE day of use, a three inch water supply pipe burst and if I didn't happen to look hours later, my tub would have been destroyed, with all water draining out fast and filling the entire bottom. The next day I immediately went to my dealer and gee, guess what? He closed shop, went bankrupt! The NEXT day!! I waited 5 weeks for the tub to be delivered, bought it because of its quality, and was promised absolute after service and etc. Well, there is no other Arctic Spa dealership within 500 miles from me. I now had to rely on a guy who USED to work out of that store. Thank GOD I met up with the owner of the store as they were emptying out his store, and he assured me someone would come out. Not even a DAY went by and already problems! The onzen system I had NEVER worked! I mean, okay, it worked for a week then nothing. I called the service guy to come out. He replaced the onzen plates. It lasted a month, if that. Once again, I called him. He came out three times to replace the onzen plates. My tub now is ONLY 4 months old!! In the meantime, I'm thinking the water levels were off, the micro-filters were dirty, ( went through 10 filters within a year), etc etc etc....I drained this STUPID tub at LEAST 6 times in 6 months. Which of course, cost ME for replacing the salt, paying the tech guy EACH time to come out and fix problems which is SUPPOSED to be under warranty! Now!?!? I get the onzen retro fitted. GUESS WHAT??? It lasted a week!!!!!!! I have once again contacted the tech guy to come out, (another 60 bucks), to fix a tub thats under warranty!!! This tub isn't even a year old!!! Not to mention the pressure switch adjustment screw is cracked, I'm always getting the FLO indicator going off, you name it! I've had it with this tub. and the stupidest thing?? I'd buy another Arctic tub because I KNOW they're the best out there! I just own a lemon!!! I am at my wits end with this tub. Imagine sitting in something thats supposed to relieve stress but instead....... CAUSES it! If things don't soon get repaired I will take further action then just ranting like I have just now, (sorry people).

We had the Onzen retro-fit (drain tub, replace parts, move electrode etc.) completed at the end of August and by Labor Day weekend (7-10 days)it was not functioning. No mist and no bubbles from the cover in the foot well. The tech is coming out on tuesday to repair again! For those wondering this is the 4th time in 14 months that our Onzen system has failed to produce santizer, no mist.

Budge

Edweirdo,

FYI our "FLO" error was corrected last year (on our 6 month old tub) when they replaced one of our pumps. Pump #1 would not run on low speed sometimes. It would hum, turn off and the FLO error would appear. Don't know if this is your issue but it was a known problem at the time with the motors. Since the repair we have not had the FLO error.

Budge

Thanx Budge!

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Sad thing is, it's an inconvenience to constantly wonder, look, check, etc to see whether the system's still working!! And god forbid that any family member gets some bad bacteria in them or get sick because of the constant breakdown of the onzen!! Try proving THAT in a lawsuit huh?.lol Anyway, the tech is coming out tomorrow to see whats wrong THIS time. Says it might be the generator, who knows. It wouldn't be so bad if this onzen option didn't cost an arm and a leg as it was! I woulda just gone back to bromine tabs in a floater! The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that there are kids in Africa that don't complain about hot tub problems.....

Thanx Budge!

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Sad thing is, it's an inconvenience to constantly wonder, look, check, etc to see whether the system's still working!! And god forbid that any family member gets some bad bacteria in them or get sick because of the constant breakdown of the onzen!! Try proving THAT in a lawsuit huh?.lol Anyway, the tech is coming out tomorrow to see whats wrong THIS time. Says it might be the generator, who knows. It wouldn't be so bad if this onzen option didn't cost an arm and a leg as it was! I woulda just gone back to bromine tabs in a floater! The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that there are kids in Africa that don't complain about hot tub problems.....

Edweirdo,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Just to let you know, when they came to do the retro-fit and it was not the problem!. It was the generator that failed.

The tech plugged the retro in but failed to fizz/bubble. The tech went to the van to get a new generator and bam, it started fizzing like crazy :D .

By the way, my tub WAS built and passed the inspection on a Friday!

Like I said through, it is working perfect now and just praying to the spa gods that nothing else will go wrong.

Take care

Thanx Budge!

Edweirdo,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Just to let you know, when they came to do the retro-fit and it was not the problem!. It was the generator that failed.

The tech plugged the retro in but failed to fizz/bubble. The tech went to the van to get a new generator and bam, it started fizzing like crazy :D .

By the way, my tub WAS built and passed the inspection on a Friday!

Like I said through, it is working perfect now and just praying to the spa gods that nothing else will go wrong.

Take care

lol.....they should make a 4 day week at Arctic!

Well Budge, here's the deal.....

The tech guy came out, checked it out, and then flipped right out, lol

Pump one, is on its last legs, (I'm surprised it lasted this long! After all, it's ALMOST one year old!!), the onzen generator is hooped, and the pressure switch needs replacing. I think after this trip, the only thing that'll be left replace on this damn tub is the shell!! Wait, I better shut my mouth.........

Eddie!

lol.....they should make a 4 day week at Arctic!

I could go for that....

Well Budge, here's the deal.....the only thing that'll be left replace on this damn tub is the shell!! Wait, I better shut my mouth.......

Sorry to hear you're having troubles, Eddie. I'm no longer an official corporate spokesman, but I do still work at Arctic (IT dept). Is there any way I can help?

Hi everyone,

Take care

Ron

I have an Arctic spa summit with onzen, bought in October 2008 and was retrofitted yesterday, had to empty tub and plumbing was done, out of the year we have had it it has worked for approximately 3 months not consecutive either. have emptied and refilled 5 times and have had service 6 times. Something thats suppose to relax me is slowly driving me crazy, would love to hear suggestions on what to do

It took a couple of days for the water to clear up and get that salt disolved, but now things are crystal clear.

I'm glad to hear that things worked out okay for you.

would love to hear suggestions on what to do

I sent you a PM with an idea that may help.

Tom?

I just wanna take a second here and thank you for all your time and effort with us owners. I'm sure I speak for all of us. You've always been sincere and hones,t have gone out of you way countless times to take the time here resolving our issues. I have more confidence in you then I've had with the ENTIRE company. And I never even bought the damn thing from ya! lol Once again, thanx Tom, we all appreciate your help and knowledge. I friggin' HOPE Arctic Spas knows of your efforts here!

Cheers for Tom!

Eddie

• 7 months later...

Are people still answering questions on this site??

I just bought an Arctic Cub Ultra Onzen Chlorine system. I have had difficulties getting a chlorine reading from the test strips. The only time I got a reading was the day after using "Refresh." It has been another 24 hours and now no chlorine reading. I have the CP set to 6. And I do see some small bubbles coming from a larger filter-looking thing from the footwell, but not the small one that is supposed to be the Onzen port.

I also opened up the side and looked at the blue Onzen case. Is there supposed to be a blue light somewhere? I don't see one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

• 5 months later...

I just bought an Arctic Cub Ultra Onzen Chlorine system. I have had difficulties getting a chlorine reading from the test strips. The only time I got a reading was the day after using "Refresh." It has been another 24 hours and now no chlorine reading. I have the CP set to 6. And I do see some small bubbles coming from a larger filter-looking thing from the footwell, but not the small one that is supposed to be the Onzen port.

I also opened up the side and looked at the blue Onzen case. Is there supposed to be a blue light somewhere? I don't see one.

Lisa

Lisa

I see that you posted this a while ago, but for other readers with this problem: I advise my clients after a fresh fill in a spa to expect at least three days until sanitizer levels begin to rise. Use an oxidizer, like the refresh product in your case, and this will assist with developing sanitizer levels. Patience is key. Salt sanitizer generators work in much the same way that a trickle charger charges a battery.

I hope this information is helpful.

S.

Funny how folks were dogging my "adgenda" for suggesting Arctic had not been in business long enough to have this stuff sorted out, and that they use their customers for R&D trial and error.

The most "advanced" thing about Arctic is their marketing.

Funny how folks were dogging my "adgenda" for suggesting Arctic had not been in business long enough to have this stuff sorted out, and that they use their customers for R&D trial and error.

The most "advanced" thing about Arctic is their marketing.

I don't know about that -- I have had an Arctic Yukon since January, 2010 and have had NO problems with it whatsoever.

Yes, they did have some problems early on with the Onzen system and jet fittings popping out -- they got beyond them, and by the time I bought in they were beyond them.

The Ph balance, alkalinity, and free chlorine have all worked well for me .... I had to learn a little about water chemistry -- that comes with great dealer support, and it's all been a great experience. I manage to keep the water in check -- takes me perhaps 5, maybe 10 minutes a week.

No regrets here.

Spa_guru - You say that Arctic Spas most advanced aspect is their marketing and that they have not been in business long enough to develop a good product. You are 100% wrong in my PROFESSIONAL opinion. Absolutely any person who looks at an arctic spa in person will see that they are built completely different than all other spas on the market in Canada. They may not have been in business as long as other spa companies, but long enough all the same to become the number 1 hot tub dealer in Canada. And the UK. And Russia. And Scandanavia. And almost every cold weather Country in the world. One of Canada's 50 best managed companies 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009.

I have worked on and with almost every major hot tub brand in Canada, literally from coast to coast. Nothing compares to an arctic spa and I would, and DO, stake my companies reputation on it since I recommend them to my clients.

I hope this information is helpful.

S.