Air Bubbles In Discharge Stream.... ?

I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with a 9' deep end. It has a single skimmer, and the standard drain at the bottom of the deep end.

Have had it for the 10 years I have owned the house.

No known leaks.

I have had bubbles in the discharge stream for a couple months now, and it seems to be getting worse.

Here is what I have observed / done so far.

After I backwashed, I heard a sucking sound from the diverter valve on the sand filter (Haywood). I took it apart to replace the diverter vlave spider gasket. I learned my valve has been replaced with a new diverter valve, and the gasket is no longer considered replaceable... had to buy a new diverter assembly. Got a new o ring and replaced the assembly with a bit of o ring lube.

No more sucking sound from the diverter, but the EXACT same problem with bubbles in the stream.

I then replaced the large o ring on the the strainer basket at the intake to the pump (where the filter gasket goes). I noticed when I started it back up that I could see a small numbers of bubbles entering the filter basket by watching closely through the clear cover. The bubble stream appears to be coming in the intake pipe.

I replaced the gasket and hose on the inline chlorinateor... not because I thought it was really going to fix anything, but because it needed to be done and I wanted to rule it out.

Ok, so at this point I was thinking it might be a leak in the intake pipe coming from the skimmer or the drain. (OH NO!)

When I set up the pump I plumbed ball vales into the intake lines from both the drain and the skimmer (to make a pump down or vacuuming easier). Closing either of these valves one at a time when the pool is running make no difference in the bubble stream.... This (in my mind) rules out the intake pipeing.

SO I thought that left only the pipe between the ball valves and the pump. I have inspected this closely, and wrapped the pipe conection tightly with self sealing tape (to see if this slowed the bubble stream)... it made no difference!

Anyone have any ideas?

Am I right to assume the leak is before the pump? If it were after the pump I would think the water pressure would cause a leak to leak water....

I have a 16 x 32 inground pool with a 9' deep end. It has a single skimmer, and the standard drain at the bottom of the deep end.

Have had it for the 10 years I have owned the house.

No known leaks.

I have had bubbles in the discharge stream for a couple months now, and it seems to be getting worse.

Here is what I have observed / done so far.

After I backwashed, I heard a sucking sound from the diverter valve on the sand filter (Haywood). I took it apart to replace the diverter vlave spider gasket. I learned my valve has been replaced with a new diverter valve, and the gasket is no longer considered replaceable... had to buy a new diverter assembly. Got a new o ring and replaced the assembly with a bit of o ring lube.

No more sucking sound from the diverter, but the EXACT same problem with bubbles in the stream.

I then replaced the large o ring on the the strainer basket at the intake to the pump (where the filter gasket goes). I noticed when I started it back up that I could see a small numbers of bubbles entering the filter basket by watching closely through the clear cover. The bubble stream appears to be coming in the intake pipe.

I replaced the gasket and hose on the inline chlorinateor... not because I thought it was really going to fix anything, but because it needed to be done and I wanted to rule it out.

Ok, so at this point I was thinking it might be a leak in the intake pipe coming from the skimmer or the drain. (OH NO!)

When I set up the pump I plumbed ball vales into the intake lines from both the drain and the skimmer (to make a pump down or vacuuming easier). Closing either of these valves one at a time when the pool is running make no difference in the bubble stream.... This (in my mind) rules out the intake pipeing.

SO I thought that left only the pipe between the ball valves and the pump. I have inspected this closely, and wrapped the pipe conection tightly with self sealing tape (to see if this slowed the bubble stream)... it made no difference!

Anyone have any ideas?

Am I right to assume the leak is before the pump? If it were after the pump I would think the water pressure would cause a leak to leak water....

Yes you are correct that it is a air leak before the pump. Any threaded fitting, valves etc can be a problem. The main cause of air bubbles is the pvc that is threaded into the pump strainer pot. Some pools this can be accessed to remove and retape with teflon. Most can not. Noe you can cut the pipe and redo with new fittings and union or Get some good silicone and apply it were the pipe threads into the pump without taking the pipe out

Thanks for the replies, and the assistance. You cut down at least half my search.

I too believe that your leak is in the area you say. Have you pressure tested the suction line (inlet)? I think that is your next step.

And the pump is running ok, no grinding noises?

Pump is running great. No grinding sounds.

The fitting you mention (1.5" threaded pump inlet) is the union I tried to seal with the self sealing tape.... don't know if this would have helped, but was thinking I might be able to at least slow the leak.

I am going to go ahead and cut the inlet pipe. When I set this up, I purposly left about 8" of pipe on the inlet side so I could cut and re-do it a couple times before I would have to replace the ball valves.

I am interested in the idea of pressure testing the inlet. I can close the valves and test that union, but I am not sure how I could pressureize the pump strainer from the discharge side. Any suggestions?

I get a short expandable plug and slip it inside the inlet of the pump from the pump basket side (don't cut yet). I'm not sure if i would trust the ball valves to be solid, I would go back to the skimmer and main drain to plug there. Leak could be @ ball valve(s). Stand pipe in the skimmer is where you can add pressure from.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who helped, wanted to give an update.

It got worse and worse until I was having trouble maintain water quality because the filter was not getting enough flow.

I combined a couple of the tips to pressurize the system and find the suction side leak.

What I did was to set the filter to 'waste' and used a 1 1/2" to 5/8" threaded adapter. I then pressurized the components from the discharge from the pump back to the skimmer / drain.

I was going to pulg the skimmer, but did not have to. Water started trickling out of the pump.

My Sta-rite pump breaks apart between the strainer basket, and the intake side of the pump. The 4 bolts were not too tight, and there is no gasket there the seam is just sealed with sealant.

I broke it down, sealed the flange, and evenly torqued the bolts.

Does not leak, no bubbles in the stream.

:)

Thanks again, hope this helps someone else in the future.