Over Anxious Ozone?

r5ran

Hi,

I recently returned from a 3 week trip, I was due for a water change anyways, so before I left, I powered off and drained my tub. When I returned, I did the usual maintenance, cleaned the filters, replaced the nature 2 cartridge, and cleaned the interior. After I refilled the tub, all seemed fine, but I did notice a lot more ozone bubbles coming out of the circulation pump inlet than normal. I just assumed it was a little excess air that was trap being released, even though I had not seen this before after a refill and I had filled through the circulation pump filter as usual.

Now, several days later, when I used the tub last night, I still have this excess amount of bubbles being emitted. I also can hear a gurgling sound that I had not heard before when the circulation pump only is on. The tub, heater, and all the pumps are functioning fine, I just have too many bubbles. It's not like Jacques Cousteau is diving from within :rolleyes: , but the bubble amount is about 2-3 times as many as before, and they are a little larger than the fine mist I know is correct, along with this constant gurgling noise.

I checked the equipment area, and everything is dry, no leaks at all. I tried removing the filters and opened both drains to release any potential trapped air, but no luck. But I am sure it is ozone related, as I see the bubbles within the translucent tubing after the ozone injector tube, and I can get the bubbles and gurgling to stop by pinching the ozone air tube anywhere along it's path. If I cover the inlet on the ozone (small tube with a tiny filter in it) the problem does not go away, so it seems like the ozone is allowing too much air from within. The tub is a 1 year old HS Vanguard, that has been perfect so far, but I suspect my ozone has a problem.

I did a search of this forum, and can't seem to find anyone else that has this problem, (lots of threads about too few bubbles, but not too many!) so maybe someone can give me some advice here. ^_^ Thanks, Randy

Go back into the equip area - find the ozone injector inline with one of the heater hoses. It has a quarter inch hose coming out of the top. Follow this hose until you get to a check valve. I'll bet it's broken and the reason it doesn't leak is that the circ pump is creating a suction on that hose. Once you lose power it will start leaking.

Let us know.

Go back into the equip area - find the ozone injector inline with one of the heater hoses. It has a quarter inch hose coming out of the top. Follow this hose until you get to a check valve. I'll bet it's broken and the reason it doesn't leak is that the circ pump is creating a suction on that hose. Once you lose power it will start leaking.

Let us know.

Thanks, I had thought about that, too. But I can pinch off the hose before or after that check valve, (anywhere along the hose between ozone and the heater inlet) and the noise and bubbles stop. If it was a leaking check valve, wouldn't it stop only if I pinched the hose only between the check valve and the heater, and not between the check valve and the ozone? Thanks, Randy

You are correct. Does it have the neoprene hose? If so replace it with vinyl.

What I would do is pop off the hose starting at the injector and put your finger over the end. Keep going toward the ozone generator until you find the air leak.

It's possible that there is no air leak. What I've noticed with ozone is that the cleaner the water the bigger the bubbles. Also if your filter for the circ pump is new you would be getting better flow and louder bubbles.

You are correct. Does it have the neoprene hose? If so replace it with vinyl.

What I would do is pop off the hose starting at the injector and put your finger over the end. Keep going toward the ozone generator until you find the air leak.

It's possible that there is no air leak. What I've noticed with ozone is that the cleaner the water the bigger the bubbles. Also if your filter for the circ pump is new you would be getting better flow and louder bubbles.

Thanks, it is vinyl. I can pinch the hose right after it comes out of the ozone and the noise/bubbles stop, so that just leaves the ozone gen upstream. Can a bad ozonator cause that? Can it leak air internally? Like I said, If I cover the inlet port on the ozonator, the problem does not stop, just anywhere on the vinyl hose after the ozone generator, to me, that seems like it has to be letting too much air in internally. Filter is not new, just cleaned the old one, doubt that is the issue. I have seen many tubs with ozone, and this gurgling and the amount of bubbles is not normal. Any other ideas? Have not called the dealer yet, wanted to insure it was not a dumb owner move before I do! :wacko: The fact it only started after I drained and refilled the tub, makes me think it may have been my doing somehow, just can't figure out what.

Randy

One more thing to check - go out to the spa when it has been covered for a while. You should get an ozone smell when you open the cover. It smell like (for lack of a better description) a cross betweenn a strong fresh rain smell and a burnt wire smell.

One more thing to check - go out to the spa when it has been covered for a while. You should get an ozone smell when you open the cover. It smell like (for lack of a better description) a cross betweenn a strong fresh rain smell and a burnt wire smell.

Yes, the smell of ozone is still there, so it working, just too well. I have had clean water and clean filters in my tub before, but never the intense bubbles and gurgling sound like this before. I suspect the ozone generator has a problem, unless anyone else has any ideas, I may just see if my dealer will send me a new one. Thank you for your efforts, Randy

Yes, the smell of ozone is still there, so it working, just too well. I have had clean water and clean filters in my tub before, but never the intense bubbles and gurgling sound like this before. I suspect the ozone generator has a problem, unless anyone else has any ideas, I may just see if my dealer will send me a new one. Thank you for your efforts, Randy

If anyone is interested, I did call my dealer, and he too mentioned the check valve initially. Even though since I can pinch off the hose between the ozone generator and the valve and have the bubbles totally stop still seems to me it can't be the source of the excess air, right? :wacko:

He is sending me a new ozone generator next week, I'll let you know the results. Randy

When you're in there, where is the actual gurgling noise coming from? It's always a good idea anytime you're dealing with ozone issue to try cleaning the ozone injector. A little bit of calcium deposit in there can change up how things work. It looks like this, but may be a different color:

injector.jpg

The part at the bottom of the picture can un-thread. Down inside of there is a very small slit which the ozone is sucked through. This slit forces the gas into smaller bubbles to allow for better dispersion of the ozone gas into the water. It's a good idea to put a little bit of vinegar into there now and again just to ensure it stays free of calcium.

When you're in there, where is the actual gurgling noise coming from? It's always a good idea anytime you're dealing with ozone issue to try cleaning the ozone injector. A little bit of calcium deposit in there can change up how things work. It looks like this, but may be a different color:

injector.jpg

The part at the bottom of the picture can un-thread. Down inside of there is a very small slit which the ozone is sucked through. This slit forces the gas into smaller bubbles to allow for better dispersion of the ozone gas into the water. It's a good idea to put a little bit of vinegar into there now and again just to ensure it stays free of calcium.

Thanks for the input. Hard to tell where the gurgling sound is from. It just sounds like it is from under the tub when you are sitting in it with the jets off. At first, I thought I had forgotten to close one of the drains, and water was just running out (that is what it sounds like), but the tub is not loosing any water. The gurgling sound stops as soon as you pinch off the ozone air hose, so that is the source of the gurgling sound, for sure. Mine looks exactly like that, and I will check it, even though I would think you would have to drain the tub to do so.

One thing Jerimiah, My tub is just a year old, so doesn't that seem kind of new for a build up? Also, if that opening was partially clogged, wouldn't the effect be less bubbles and ozone? I have just the opposite situation. Can't help but think that having the tub off and drained for 3 weeks didn't have some kind of indirect cause to all this, though. thanks, Randy

They have used restrictor valves in older ozone units and we have installed them in the newer ones. It's not real easy to do. You have to install this restrictor on the line that the air stone is on. It can't be installed on the outlet tubing because the ozone will eat it up.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested, I did call my dealer, and he too mentioned the check valve initially. Even though since I can pinch off the hose between the ozone generator and the valve and have the bubbles totally stop still seems to me it can't be the source of the excess air, right? :wacko:

He is sending me a new ozone generator next week, I'll let you know the results. Randy

Hi

If anyone is interested, I thought I would follow up with the results on this.

After waiting almost 7 weeks, my dealer finally got my new ozonator in (I am having second thoughts about this dealer!). Jackpot, the new ozonator stopped the gurgling noise and the excessive bubbles perfectly, so it must have been leaking air internally somehow, somewhere. I took the old one apart, trying to find the any source for a leak, but found nothing. I did try just the check valve first, but that did nothing. Doesn't matter now, my tub is silent again and I don't have scuba diver bubbles from below anymore! :lol:

Thanks,

Randy

Mine looks exactly like that, and I will check it, even though I would think you would have to drain the tub to do so.

I have corks to slip into the lines after you remove them so a drain is not needed for service on the circ system. They are made from a broom handle or maybe its a shovel handle. Either way the size that fits. I tapered them with a grinder so they fit several size lines. And hose clamps.

Mine looks exactly like that, and I will check it, even though I would think you would have to drain the tub to do so.

I have corks to slip into the lines after you remove them so a drain is not needed for service on the circ system. They are made from a broom handle or maybe its a shovel handle. Either way the size that fits. I tapered them with a grinder so they fit several size lines. And hose clamps.

I use wine corks - If I forget them customers usually have some around (plastic ones don't work). C size batteries also work.

I also found some vice grip type pliers with the flat bars to clamp off the hoses (better than the ones from Watkins)...I don't miss trying to clamp off in freezing climates...good thing I'm in Florida now.

I use wine corks - If I forget them customers usually have some around (plastic ones don't work). C size batteries also work.

I also found some vice grip type pliers with the flat bars to clamp off the hoses (better than the ones from Watkins)...I don't miss trying to clamp off in freezing climates...good thing I'm in Florida now.

Thanks for the hints, but I never had to plug the lines, left the original lines and check valve in place. Just replaced the ozonator. I knew it was the problem when I could compare the new one to the old, when I could cover the air inlet on the old one with no difference, (still too many bubbles), but when I hooked up the new one and covered that same inlet, all bubbles promptly halted....somehow leaking inside, but I should could not find where at....seems like an uncommon problem...

Thanks, Randy

• 9 years later...