Imports From China

here's a warning to those of you that A. think buying hot tubs online to save money or 2. find a deal thats 1/3 rd the price of a retail store. STOP

again I had another customer that bought a hot tub from some backyard sales man and it turns out the spa was built in china. NO CSA or UL rating on this spa. if you are buying a spa in this way ( personally I think you dumb). A. use a credit card to provide some level of protection and 2. check to make sure it has north america aproval. because if it doesn't no electrian will hook it up and no city will issue a permit.

And unless your stupid Do not uses it. The last two job I quoted to bring the spa up to minium electrial standards would cost the customer more then they paid for the spa.

Unforunatly our governments don't stop imports like this, they expect the import to get these products approved before selling them (ya right as if thats going to happen).

here's a warning to those of you that A. think buying hot tubs online to save money or 2. find a deal thats 1/3 rd the price of a retail store. STOP

again I had another customer that bought a hot tub from some backyard sales man and it turns out the spa was built in china. NO CSA or UL rating on this spa. if you are buying a spa in this way ( personally I think you dumb). A. use a credit card to provide some level of protection and 2. check to make sure it has north america aproval. because if it doesn't no electrian will hook it up and no city will issue a permit.

And unless your stupid Do not uses it. The last two job I quoted to bring the spa up to minium electrial standards would cost the customer more then they paid for the spa.

Unforunatly our governments don't stop imports like this, they expect the import to get these products approved before selling them (ya right as if thats going to happen).

Sounds like good information. I have bought products make in China from outdoor grill/bar combo and a ton of outdoor furniture that was extremely well made and also electronics also very well made.

I think a lot of it depends on the minimum specs submitted to the Chinese factory by the import/export firm that is buying the product for distribution. A LOT of stuff is being made in China and a LOT of it is very well made.

Re spas based on our personal xperience of friends and family and online info I would stick with paying more for a "name brand" product with a solid company to stand behind the warranty.

One Comment is I don't know why a local gov. permit would have to be pulled for a portable class spa. Our AGPool rates as "portable" and not a permanent structure and our County refused to listen to my query re the need for a permit even though it is sunk into the ground, sits on a gunite floor, required a 220V connection (confess I just did that simple step myself) and etc.

Sounds like good information. I have bought products make in China from outdoor grill/bar combo and a ton of outdoor furniture that was extremely well made and also electronics also very well made.

I think a lot of it depends on the minimum specs submitted to the Chinese factory by the import/export firm that is buying the product for distribution. A LOT of stuff is being made in China and a LOT of it is very well made.

Re spas based on our personal xperience of friends and family and online info I would stick with paying more for a "name brand" product with a solid company to stand behind the warranty.

One Comment is I don't know why a local gov. permit would have to be pulled for a portable class spa. Our AGPool rates as "portable" and not a permanent structure and our County refused to listen to my query re the need for a permit even though it is sunk into the ground, sits on a gunite floor, required a 220V connection (confess I just did that simple step myself) and etc.

Ive never seen anything from China I would consider "well made" I have seen plenty of "value built" chinese stuff.

Ive never seen anything from China I would consider "well made" I have seen plenty of "value built" chinese stuff.

I totally agree with Roger, corporations don't build in China for quality, they build there to produce a flashy product as cheap as they can using cheap labor and materials. They don't care about quality or long term value or the American public or worker, they only do it for their own corporate greed.

Not only does it take American jobs away (and don't kid yourself, it does come back to directly affect you in the long run) but the perceived value is only a hoax. How many of those customer's who saved money buying these cheap Chinese spas are regretting it now? Probably all of them, but it's too late, they are stuck with it, and instead of enjoying a well made American spa every evening, they are anguishing over the mess they are in. The money they think they saved is a long lost memory now. Now I'm not saying all foreign made products are junk, some are well made, but if we have an equal choice (and those choices are dwindling fast), why send our money and jobs overseas?

Perfect example: about 5 years ago I bought a USA made Weber grill for about $500, my neighbor bought a Walmart Chinese made Brinkmann grill for about $300. His was much flashier and had some bells and whistles my Weber did not. He laughed at how much I paid for less product at the time. Today, my Weber still looks and cooks better (always did) then his Chinese made grill that needs several components replaced (which he can't find) or will just be scrapped for a new one. He was just asking me how I like my Weber! Guess who's laughing now?

If we are ever going to get this country turned around, we need to stop and look at where a product is really made, and the long term value in it, not just be seduced by a cheap price and flashy exterior. Their are not many products left out there that we still have that choice, and hot tubs, grills, tools, cars, etc... are just a few. Just because it has an American name, does not mean it's American made, and the corporate traitors that import these products often do their best to hide this fact (cars are the rare exception, where it's mandated it must be posted on the product). It doesn't matter if it's a Limelight hot tub, (no where does the website say where they are built) a new American car (such as a Ford Fusion, or Chevy Aveo, some new Saturn's, Pontiac G8, and many more...l) it's up to the consumer to search this out before buying and purchase wisely, and let these corporations know they did not buy their product due to their corporate greed. If we don't, and these companies and products prosper and sell well, we are only rewarding these traitors and they will continue to commit this economic treason till we have no manufacturing or good jobs left in this country....

I know I'll get some flack over this...but it's time to wake up before it's too late. Think about it.

Thanks Randy

I know I'll get some flack over this...but it's time to wake up before it's too late. Think about it.

Thanks Randy

You should not get any flack for your statement.

I for one think you have made some very valid points, I live in England which used to manufacturer a whole variety of goods, until companies started doing what you said. Now we hardly manufacturer anything. I will always try and buy things through local shops and not the internet from an overseas company if I can. This way I am a least supporting the local ecomony and I do not mind paying a bit extra for that.

I must admit I think the best spas are made in America and I hope all your manufacturers continue to do so, overwise they are just exporting jobs. People have to realise that the cheapest is not always the best value. The only way to stop this corporate greed is for consumers to buy products which are home country made, if possible.

Thanks Randy

You should not get any flack for your statement.

I for one think you have made some very valid points, I live in England which used to manufacturer a whole variety of goods, until companies started doing what you said. Now we hardly manufacturer anything. I will always try and buy things through local shops and not the internet from an overseas company if I can. This way I am a least supporting the local ecomony and I do not mind paying a bit extra for that.

I must admit I think the best spas are made in America and I hope all your manufacturers continue to do so, overwise they are just exporting jobs. People have to realise that the cheapest is not always the best value. The only way to stop this corporate greed is for consumers to buy products which are home country made, if possible.

Lest we not forget Americans can build junk just as good as the Chinese. Buy your junk from American junk manufacturers. If you want quality pay a little more.