Costco Elite Platinum Spa

paintnsunni

With the introduction of Costco Spas from Hydrospa there seems to be a huge debate of "getting what you pay for" or percieved value. Is this a threat to local dealers much as the postal service was taken back by email and the computer? As a consumer I think it's great as everyone has to "sharpen their pencil" in order to sell a spa when stores like Costco are near. I can see that if I was a dealer that would directly affect my bottem line and would see Costco as bain to them. With our society now a global commerce, is this a newer trend to embrace rather the fear? People now have vast amounts of knowledge at their fingertips where as before it would be near impossible to compare spas as in technical details, price and consumer opinions. As to service I think thats also a issue of the past as most dealers will service these spas as they are paid from the Mfg directly and usually have contracted to do so. I do see the value of a Dealership but wonder if it is trully worth four to five thousand more to have? I as a consumer don't understand why the prices for spas not clearly posted on each spa in the dealers I have seen? This practice really makes me wonder what type of ethics are being employed and how the same spa model is sold at different prices to unsuspecting consumers, Isn't that predetor tactics to take advantage of someones lack of knowledge about spa value? At least Costco clearly marks the price and ever spa sold which goes well beyond hundreds sells for the exact same cost. Why is that?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the introduction of Costco Spas from Hydrospa there seems to be a huge debate of "getting what you pay for" or percieved value. Is this a threat to local dealers much as the postal service was taken back by email and the computer? As a consumer I think it's great as everyone has to "sharpen their pencil" in order to sell a spa when stores like Costco are near. I can see that if I was a dealer that would directly affect my bottem line and would see Costco as bain to them. With our society now a global commerce, is this a newer trend to embrace rather the fear? People now have vast amounts of knowledge at their fingertips where as before it would be near impossible to compare spas as in technical details, price and consumer opinions. As to service I think thats also a issue of the past as most dealers will service these spas as they are paid from the Mfg directly and usually have contracted to do so. I do see the value of a Dealership but wonder if it is trully worth four to five thousand more to have? I as a consumer don't understand why the prices for spas not clearly posted on each spa in the dealers I have seen? This practice really makes me wonder what type of ethics are being employed and how the same spa model is sold at different prices to unsuspecting consumers, Isn't that predetor tactics to take advantage of someones lack of knowledge about spa value? At least Costco clearly marks the price and ever spa sold which goes well beyond hundreds sells for the exact same cost. Why is that?

The same thing has happened in many other industries. Look at travel agents. The internet has disintermediated the middleman in so many ways, and the information available to consumers arms them with greater knowledge of the product at hand.

I think the box stores/internet spa sales are a good thing for consumers. More choices and compition is always a good thing.

"With the introduction of Costco Spas from Hydrospa"

LOL, it's sweeping the nation, best thing since sliced bread. Soon everyone will have one. Just ask Paint, he will tell you.

Paint, I don't think most people are bashing the Costco spa, they are bashing fools who think the spa they paid 4K for is just as good as a spa that cost 9K. They also have a problem with people who pretend to be a regular joe with a spa who claims to have nothing to do with costco or hydo but seems to have some insider info and way too much invested in defending hydro spas.

One of the problems here is that most of the reactions we read are from people with BRAND NEW SPAS. I think the test of time is the true determinant of whether ANY product is "as good as the next" Most cars, for example, run well for the first 10-20 thousand miles. Usually, the cheaper made vehicles begin experiencing problems around the end of their warranty period while the quality made car (on average; there are always exceptions to the rule) keeps on going and going and going and ....

All I can add is that some of the most highly read threads have to do with the Costco Hydro's and many of the posts reflect problems with BRAND NEW UNITS and the alleged poor service they receive from the company. Common sense dictates that if new units are already having problems, as units age, they will experience even more serious problems in the future.

Paint, as I've said before, I was going to buy a HydroSpa but my instincts told me not to. A $4-5 thousand savings would have been very nice, but not worth it if I had run into major problems with servicing; having to spend umpteen hours re-engineering (including re-insulating) the unit (and possible nullifying warranties by tampering with it); and then running into major problems a year after warranties ran out. It was a crap shoot that I didn't want to take a chance with, especially in light of the hassle and expense it is to rid oneself of an unwanted and worthless unit. Just my take on this issue.

I agree with Wes. I have a keys that is 1 year old and I've only had 1 minor problem, but I would worry about it 3 or 4 years down the road (if I wasn't planning on selling my house in the spring). With my plan to sell my house in a year is one of the reasons I got one of the lower end tubs since I was planning on leaving it when I moved but if I would've had it longer I doubt I would go the low end road.

people here on this forum have had issues within six weeks on a Hotsprings spa

Maxxus Spa on delivery

Sundance tub 6 weeks into it

no one is immune from issues and Hydrospa has been in bisiness along time withought garnering a high failure rate or terrible customer service. The only thing they did was dare to realistically value a spa which didn't set well with other manufactures. my opninion there.

Hydrospa has been in bisiness along time withought garnering a high failure rate or terrible customer service. The only thing they did was dare to realistically value a spa which didn't set well with other manufactures. my opninion there.

Your personal opinion is all that this is because unless you have no verifiable stats to prove your claims and no smart consumer should believe what you propose.

I will agree that their spas seem well-priced. The $3,999 COSTCO price tag and lots of features appealed to me when I bought one. So tempting, that I even considered the new model, but, based on my experience, I would not recommend the Hydrospa product. Too many problems for a brand new spa to have, but the worse of it was the poor attempts at service. You get what you pay for. I sure did.

You must work for them to start this post again. Unfortunately you may only get them some bad publicity.

Prove me wrong!!!!!! Facts please! I neve called you a fool for paying double but............... if the shoe fits wear it!!!!! :ph34r:

no one is immune from issues and Hydrospa has been in bisiness along time withought garnering a high failure rate or terrible customer service. The only thing they did was dare to realistically value a spa which didn't set well with other manufactures.

By the way, I find it utterly laughable that you call on flibotte to prove you wrong with facts when you offer none to support your obviously inflated claims. You must have not been paying attention in the basic logic and rhetoric classes, or simply argue without any real facts yourself.

Once again, you seem more interested in arguing hard and heavy for a product that does not really seem to get that much acclaim. I find you and your positions lacking much merit or validity.

One of the things in the past about Costco Spas is that the company is usually in financial stress and they put a spa in Costco to see if that helps.

Gatsby, Blue Ridge, Caldera all were in deep financial stress when they put spas at Costco. I know that no dealer in Colorado would have a Caldera spa on the floor because of their reputation back then. They got bought by Watkins and removed from Costco. Now we see a Classic Hot Spring Spa at Costco. If history means anything, Hot Spring is in big trouble.

I don't see Gatsby spas any more, No more Blue Ridtge, Jacuzzi was at Home Depot and now they were bought by Apolo.

It is not a sign of financial security for a spa company to put a spa at Costco, at least that has been the trend in the past.

You still haven't returned it have you????? Your nothing more then a whinner!!!!!! I'll post when and if youu return it! Othewise silence yourself and sit down.

... my question is would you do it all over again knowing the problems you have faced since buying your units?

Yes, I would do it all over again. I have no regrets. At first, I was hesitant about the Platinum Elite II, but the more I shopped around and researched, the more I realized that its a terrific deal (IMHO). I knew, thanks to this forum, that the insulation was an issue and that more could be easily added. So I don't consider it to be a 'problem'. I've had no significant problems. We've enjoyed our spa immensely. This spa may not be suitable for everyone but it was for us.

A satisfied customer.

prove me wrong!!!!Your the nay sayer not I so prove why its a terrible spa..contrarer mofrair :o

-----

I am wondering if "contrarer mofrair" - is meant to be "Au contraire, mon frère" (French for "Quite the opposite, my brother!" or "No way, bro!") ?? Likewise, I have seen in American magazines the word "Wallah!" which approximates the French "Voilà!" ("There you go!") -- Tom

Yes, I would do it all over again. I have no regrets. At first, I was hesitant about the Platinum Elite II, but the more I shopped around and researched, the more I realized that its a terrific deal (IMHO). I knew, thanks to this forum, that the insulation was an issue and that more could be easily added. So I don't consider it to be a 'problem'. I've had no significant problems. We've enjoyed our spa immensely. This spa may not be suitable for everyone but it was for us.

A satisfied customer.

prove me wrong!!!!Your the nay sayer not I so prove why its a terrible spa..contrarer mofrair :o

Wow....I respect the knowledge on this board, but there is some widespread bickering. And I haven't even had my spa (first one) delivered (2 weeks).

However, I have noticed one thing. The mendolza guy is out to discredit costco spas. Not sure what his motivation is, but his relentous pursuit of this objective is obvious.

Mark

Wow....I respect the knowledge on this board, but there is some widespread bickering. And I haven't even had my spa (first one) delivered (2 weeks).

However, I have noticed one thing. The mendolza guy is out to discredit costco spas. Not sure what his motivation is, but his relentous pursuit of this objective is obvious.

Mark

You must have joined late. I don't know where they pulled that quote, but I never said that. Also, the spa I had trouble with is a Hydrospa brand model. COSTCO is just the seller and has been excellent with me in helping try to correct issues.

I have no beef with Costco and originally just wrote to ask for help on dealing with Hydrospa, whom I found to be unresponsive.What I wrote seems to offend a few "owners" of Hydrospa units. Based on their posts that rabidly defend the spa while attacking me and my experience, I figure they have to be shills for the manufacturer.

I think the Paintsunni guy usually just heaves personal attacks and has never really offerec any good info. He even sent me some personal notes apologizing for the attacks, then makes other nasty posts on different threads. So the more they attack, I just keep posting.

You noticed that too eh? :)

I noticed that myself, over and over and over like a bad broken record. Back to the subject title "Costco Elite Platinum Spa, Are they really a lesser spa or simply less money?......My answer is yes they are both a lesser spa and less money. You don't need to call NASA and ask for the rocket science dept. to get your answer. Is it just me or was that an incredibly easy question to answer?

What facts do you have to show your opinion to be true?

I don't like peple who try and pull a fast one on other people! as they try to justify the amount they paid for a ceartain brand as being better simply due to price. wondering how you ended up paying that much for your spa and also wondering if you trully did get a good deal. They call that " Buyers Remorse" it will pass.

As for Costco? They at least allow the consumer the dignity to know the didn't get shafted by the dealer and their over inflated un marked prices on spas. I did look at Jims spas as well as buying a Hydrospa online.

They at least are forth comeing about their priceing and don't insult the costomer by trying to negotiate a "deal"!

Remember, a spa is only a box of water with jets and a heater! Thats IT! Alot of you treat a spa like a exoctic car or a collectors item, it's not! Nor is a spa a investment or appreciateing asset by anymeans. a spa either works or doesen't that's all. It is not the Holly Grail :o:o

What facts do you have to show your opinion to be true?

This is one of the funnest lines I have EVER read! Now we need to have facts to have an opinion? What's an opinion then? LMAO!

As for Costco? They at least allow the consumer the dignity to know the didn't get shafted by the dealer and their over inflated un marked prices on spas.

So you saw their cost? What was their profit on the tub you bought?

I did look at Jims spas as well as buying a Hydrospa online.

They at least are forth comeing about their priceing and don't insult the costomer by trying to negotiate a "deal"!

You really need to raise your sights a bit. With every post of yours, I realize how little research you did on this purchase. You wanted something easy without doing the work. Sitting in front of your computer in no way replaces talking to dealers and touching the product up close. You make it sound like EVERY dealer was "out to get you". Highly unlikely... :rolleyes:

Remember, a spa is only a box of water with jets and a heater! Thats IT! Alot of you treat a spa like a exoctic car or a collectors item, it's not!

So why didn't you buy the cheapest spa you could find? Even used then?

Nor is a spa a investment or appreciateing asset by anymeans. a spa either works or doesen't that's all. It is not the Holly Grail :o:o

You really have NO CLUE. NOT AN INVESTMENT? You must have bought a POS!! It's an investment in mind, body and soul and yes, you can even sell it. Other than buying property, what purchase appreciates consistantly? Crazy response... :blink:

He has the whole passive aggressive thing down too.

I also find it funny that he champions the small business owners like Jim’s yet seems to get all his stuff at Costco.

I don't buy anything from Costco.

As soon as I saw the Crapderas over at Costco, I stopped going there.

That was back in the mid 90's.

However, this is the modern world now and Costco, WalMart, Super Target, and the rest are here to stay. It was only a matter of time before they actually got something decent to sell. I don't know if Hydro Will stay in business, if all their dealers drop them like the Jacuzzi dealers did Jacuzzi a few years ago. If these other dealers were to drop them like a lead baloon, like the Crapdera dealers did. This would stop and people could continue to make a living.

In less than ten years, there will only be Costco, and mass merchants and the large Internet retailers with low overhead and all the mom and pop stores will be gone. I feel that is a tragedy and a lifestyle changing experience, but there will also be less people with enough money to even afford a spa, at the rate we are ruining our economy.

In Colorado there are tons of jobs available. All low paying. Lower than they have ever been in relation to the cost of living. This is a direct result of greed and people giving their lifestyle over to the rich.

Our country is going the route of all the "super powers" of the past. At one time India was the wealthiest country in the world and at some time the may be again. When you give up all the things that make you wealthy, then wonder what happened to our life sytle, that is a puzzle to me. Doesn't anyone ever read history or learn from it. Greed begats poverty.

I don't buy anything from Costco.

As soon as I saw the Crapderas over at Costco, I stopped going there.

That was back in the mid 90's.

However, this is the modern world now and Costco, WalMart, Super Target, and the rest are here to stay. It was only a matter of time before they actually got something decent to sell. I don't know if Hydro Will stay in business, if all their dealers drop them like the Jacuzzi dealers did Jacuzzi a few years ago. If these other dealers were to drop them like a lead baloon, like the Crapdera dealers did. This would stop and people could continue to make a living.

In less than ten years, there will only be Costco, and mass merchants and the large Internet retailers with low overhead and all the mom and pop stores will be gone. I feel that is a tragedy and a lifestyle changing experience, but there will also be less people with enough money to even afford a spa, at the rate we are ruining our economy.

In Colorado there are tons of jobs available. All low paying. Lower than they have ever been in relation to the cost of living. This is a direct result of greed and people giving their lifestyle over to the rich.

Our country is going the route of all the "super powers" of the past. At one time India was the wealthiest country in the world and at some time the may be again. When you give up all the things that make you wealthy, then wonder what happened to our life sytle, that is a puzzle to me. Doesn't anyone ever read history or learn from it. Greed begats poverty.

Umbrellas up everyone! The sky is falling! The economy is GREAT here!!

I have facts! other then buyers remorse like this fellow that has to justify his cash outlay on a premium spa. He only shoes emotion.

So you saw their cost? What was their profit on the tub you bought?

Yes! they make 15%.......You do the math!

So why didn't you buy the cheapest spa you could find? Even used then?

Cheap doesn't necessarily mean value. Can't believe that would come from you!

You really have NO CLUE. NOT AN INVESTMENT? You must have bought a POS!! It's an investment in mind, body and soul and yes, you can even sell it. Other than buying property, what purchase appreciates consistantly? Crazy response...

monetarily you'r dead wrong! A 15k spa depreciates more the a 5k spa any day. but if you knew that you would have invest the diference of the overpriced spa into a appreciating asset like a home, college education, investments, stocks ect. Anything other that spa, that's like a car salesman telling you a car is a investment!!!!!

You really need to raise your sights a bit. With every post of yours, I realize how little research you did on this purchase. You wanted something easy without doing the work. Sitting in front of your computer in no way replaces talking to dealers and touching the product up close. You make it sound like EVERY dealer was "out to get you". Highly unlikely...

Then why hide the price? I think your just trying to justify why you wasted thousands on a spa when that wasent neccesary. And yes, every dealer was out to gouge me and any other customer and they got very upset when I asked the to justify the huge cost desparity between Costco and their "premium" spa. They couldn't! So that means I did research to a point to know when a salesman was simply trying to fleece the costomer by thousands!