Costco Elite Platinum Spa

paintnsunni

:) I just purchased a Platinum II after several months of research. The spa was delivered a week after I ordered it through BlueWater spas online. It was a leftover model from Costco 2006 product line, last few units sold. I paid $4200 plus $575 shipping.

The tub arrived in the evening and the two drivers and a a neighbor of mine moved the spa to the backyard pad, with the help of a spa dolly. It was fairly easy to move it into place.

I connected the electrical this weekend (didn't have to make any changes since I previously owned a Jacuzzi tub, 9 years old). Again, straightforward.

The filling and power up went well.

Issues:

- leaking fitting on one of the jets

- 1 inch dent on side of tub at lip from shipping (not sure if there is anything I can do in that regard), short of returning the tub. It doesn't affect operation, and is not that big a deal.

Stereo is great, sounds better than expected. All jets work well.

- a few of the white foam panels were broken

We were in the tub last night and it is fantastic -- performs as expected.

I called the customer support line this morning and after a short wait on hold, explained the issues. They are sending out the defective jet, and the name of a service provider in my area -- we'll see how that goes. He said there wasn't much that could be done about the chip, but he'd send a repair kit, although he wasn't optimistic how well it would do. I'm not sure if I should demand something from them for this or not. I really don't want to exchange the tub.

Comments on the quality of the tub. As a former Jacuzzi owner with sprayed insulation on the piping, and all around the tub -- I vote for the Hydro Spa approach. When you have a leak with a fully foamed spa, it can be hundreds, if not 1000s of $$ to track it down at $80 an hour. Every spa will eventually leak somewhere, most likely. Hydro does not insulate the pipes and fittings -- and from the looks of the inside of the cabinet -- repairing leaks will be relatively easy. It is made for easy servicing.

The insulation does look pathetic compared with my jacuzzi, which had a combination of sprayed foam, and 4" thick fiberglass insulation surrounded by plastic, around the other edge of the tub. Although it was cumbersome to remove and was easily damaged, it did keep the tub well insulated. This Platinum II spa insulation is not good. I will consider adding additional insulation.

Another thing I don't like is that there is a gap between the tub and the cabinet around the entire tub -- where insects will easily be able to stop by and make themselves at home....perhaps that can be resolved with added insulation.

One other feature I had on my Jacuzzi, that is not available on my Platinum II -- the ability to program the heater to come on at any time of day, of my choosing. In the economy mode of this tub, it is driven by when the spa is powered on, and I think every 12 hours for 2 hours. I will miss that option since my state has a "time of use" electric process whereby you get cheaper electricity at certain hours of the day. That is handy for programming the tub to accomodate those times, as well as personal schedules. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the controls to include a clock with programmable timer? Or would the entire spa pack need to be changed?

So far, so good -- the jets seem to function well, and each seat has it's own feel....lots of variety. Waterfall is nice, but overrated, and the stereo is great.

So, overall -- I think this is a great spa for a very good price -- easily save $3-4K off of similar spas locally. I did talk to the local "service person" for Hydro spas, and he believes the spas are a great value and well made in general. I'm pretty happy with it, but time will tell of course -- it really is too early in the game to say...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were in the tub last night and it is fantastic -- performs as expected.

I called the customer support line this morning and after a short wait on hold, explained the issues. They are sending out the defective jet, and the name of a service provider in my area -- we'll see how that goes. He said there wasn't much that could be done about the chip, but he'd send a repair kit, although he wasn't optimistic how well it would do. I'm not sure if I should demand something from them for this or not. I really don't want to exchange the tub.

Comments on the quality of the tub. As a former Jacuzzi owner with sprayed insulation on the piping, and all around the tub -- I vote for the Hydro Spa approach. When you have a leak with a fully foamed spa, it can be hundreds, if not 1000s of $$ to track it down at $80 an hour. Every spa will eventually leak somewhere, most likely. Hydro does not insulate the pipes and fittings -- and from the looks of the inside of the cabinet -- repairing leaks will be relatively easy. It is made for easy servicing.

The insulation does look pathetic compared with my jacuzzi, which had a combination of sprayed foam, and 4" thick fiberglass insulation surrounded by plastic, around the other edge of the tub. Although it was cumbersome to remove and was easily damaged, it did keep the tub well insulated. This Platinum II spa insulation is not good. I will consider adding additional insulation.

Another thing I don't like is that there is a gap between the tub and the cabinet around the entire tub -- where insects will easily be able to stop by and make themselves at home....perhaps that can be resolved with added insulation.

I just looked at the bluewater site and they seem to be a hydrospa reseller. Their 'jamaican' model does seem to be almost the same as the Platinum Elite II tub that Costco sold in 2006. Bluewater says on their site that they sell it for $4200 but when I clicked to buy it they said it was $4400 plus $575 shipping so maybe they had a price increase.

I also like the hydrospa insulation approach but I added a 5/8" tubular foam insert in the gap between the tub and the side panel all the way around. I bought a couple of rolls of the tubular foam stuff at Home Depot for $5 and then just pushed it into the gap. it took about 10 minutes to put it in and it is not visible. I don't know why hydrospa doesn't put that in themselves. Overall, though, the hydrospa insulation design works much better than you would think if you just compared the thickness of the sprayed on foam with the full foam approach. On the jacuzzi-type setup, the sprayed on insulation is the whole thing and limits access to the piping components but also puts the pumps and such out of the insulated zone. With the hydrospa approach the pumps and e quipment are all in the insulated and heated space which I think will keep them dryer, warm, and make them last a little bit longer as well as make it less likely that something will freeze. Also, all of the waste heat thrown off by the pumps and heater are inside the insulated space which means they go towards heating the water rather than being lost to the outside. My first thought was that the equipment could overheat in there but on reflection I realized that the 300 gallons of water at 100F act as a giant heat sink to cool the equipment. A very ingenious design. There are three parts to the hydrospa insulation appoach 1) spray on foam on the shell, 2) air space between shell and side panels, 3) foam and insulation on on the side panels. What I might do to improve the hydrospa setup would be to redesign the side panels to have flexible foam backing approximately 3 inches thick that was glued right to the panels rather than the styrofoam panel inserts approximately 1" thick but maybe there are reasons why that would be less than optimal. Anyway, enjoy.

look another costco post bumped to the top. yahoo! why post in one of the 8 or 9 new costco topics right on top when you can go back 5 months and post to a old one. maybe we should have hydro spa build the new space shuttle. They are able to make 10 k tubs for 5 k so maybe they could save 3 or 4 billion on the new shuttle and then they could sell them through costco and if we had any problems, uncle sam could just return it for a full refund. I also think because hydro doesn't use much foam on the tubs for insulation, maybe they wouldn't use much on the shuttle so we wouldn't have to worry about foam falling off and hitting the shuttle during takeoff.

look another costco post bumped to the top. yahoo! why post in one of the 8 or 9 new costco topics right on top when you can go back 5 months and post to a old one. maybe we should have hydro spa build the new space shuttle. They are able to make 10 k tubs for 5 k so maybe they could save 3 or 4 billion on the new shuttle and then they could sell them through costco and if we had any problems, uncle sam could just return it for a full refund. I also think because hydro doesn't use much foam on the tubs for insulation, maybe they wouldn't use much on the shuttle so we wouldn't have to worry about foam falling off and hitting the shuttle during takeoff.

Costco Elite Platinum Spa, Are they reallt a lesser spa or simply less money?

Maybe they posted here because of the title of the thread????? As far as foam on the shuttle...it isnt...it was on the fuel cells that breakaway. After reading your post I wonder what on earth would prevent you from just saying something positive and happy soaking instead of jumping on him like fresh kill. Sad!

I was joking....give me a break.

govikings1 If you read my post and think I am serious. I am sorry. It was in jest. I was obviosly not serious that hydro should make the space shuttle. If I was serious I would've said Haven Spas.

Oh, sorry so you are the only one who can joke...lighten up...remember I am just keeping the costco post on top. Kinda like a free advertisement for them.

Yours Truly,

The Costco Gang

...remember I am just keeping the costco post on top. Kinda like a free advertisement for them.

Yours Truly,

The Costco Gang[/color][/b]

Good. You keep bringing them up. Then people can go check other posts and decide for themselves. Do a google search on Hydrospa and problem and see what you find. Google Better business bureau and Hydrospa complaints and look there too.

Costco Elite Platinum Spa, Are they reallt a lesser spa or simply less money?

Maybe they posted here because of the title of the thread????? As far as foam on the shuttle...it isnt...it was on the fuel cells that breakaway. After reading your post I wonder what on earth would prevent you from just saying something positive and happy soaking instead of jumping on him like fresh kill. Sad!

the poor guy needs to get a life....sounds like he is a bit insecure that he paid too much for his spa. First of all I didn't buy my tub at Costco, bought it online. Yeah online.... but you can't buy a decent tub online can you? You simply must go through a dealer and pay the extra $4K to get a quality tub.

I for one can speak from experience of owning both an expensive name brand tub for many years -- a high end Jacuzzi -- and now a Hydro spa. I can tell you that I'm enjoying the look, feel and features of the Hydro Spa much more than my Jacuzzi -- and from my initial inspection of the inside of the tub, the Hydro spa will be MUCH easier to fix when something does go wrong. I spent a year chasing a leak on my expensive, high-end Jacuzzi, the "quality" tub bought through a dealer. But I forgot, that shouldn't happen with a quality, expensive, dealer tub. There is alot of truth in the statement that underneath it simply alot of tubes and pumps. It is not a complicated product.

But to be sure, only time will tell how well the Hydro performs. I've found their customer service to be very helpful so far, always answer the phone quickly. I called them quite a bit when I was making the decision to buy. But the jury is still out -- I'll see how long it takes them to fix the leaking jet under warrantee.

People tend to get very emotional on their spa purchases. I think we all like to know that we got the best deal for our hard earned money and it is upsetting when you tell people that paid ten thousand dollars for a spa that you purchased one for half and it is the same quality, same components and a direct apples to apples comparison. So rather then say thats terrific, they say you didn't get what you thought you did or you must be missing something that the ten thousand dollar spa gives.

Just like Kia and that minivan that solemly trounced the Toyota previa and Honda in Value, quality and performance let alone safety! Yet owners of Honda and Toyota look at a Kia owner in disgust and say you got a low end car even though the reports say otherwise. If you prefer a ten thousand dollar spa then that's your preference but it in no way means you got a better spa simply because you paid double. Honda and Toyota owners are scratching their heads wondering how they paid ten thousand plus more then the better kia van I am sure. Much like the Costco spa and the name brand spas out there.

"People tend to get very emotional on their spa purchases. I think we all like to know that we got the best deal for our hard earned money and it is upsetting when you tell people that paid ten thousand dollars for a spa that you purchased one for half and it is the same quality, same components and a direct apples to apples comparison. So rather then say thats terrific, they say you didn't get what you thought you did or you must be missing something that the ten thousand dollar spa gives."

I can't speak for everyone but I know of 2 people that are part of this debate that got spas for less money than the Hydro/Costco spa so your reasoning for us being upset because you got the same spa for half price doesn't really hold water (pun intended). I have nothing against the Hydro tub or for people who purchase spas online or from box stores as I purchased mine online from a box store.

The reason that I personally post on the current costco issue isn't really to debate it with the people who are saying that the hydro/costco is just as good as a 10K tub, it's for the people who are new to tubs. I think it's pretty clear both sides aren't going to change thier minds. I do not believe that they are as good as higher end tubs and I think people should have all the info. After reading all the posts then people can make up thier own minds. I personally don't think there is anything special about the Hydro/Costco tubs, I think that there are a number of tubs in the same price range that are all about the same quality sold at other box stores and some dealers. There is a reason they are all the same price because they ARE similar in quality. This notion that Hydro/Costco tub has against all odds come up with a way to sell a tub that is the same as a 10K tub for 5K just doesn't add up for me. You get what you pay for. Sure there is some markup at the dealer but 5K? Come on.

I am suspicions of some posters motives. It's not just people who post costco stuff but over time you see someone pushing the same brand over and over again and they don't really answer other types of questions and I wonder why is someone posting 50 or 100 posts only about one product.

I also find it quite entertaining to be honest.

"People tend to get very emotional on their spa purchases. I think we all like to know that we got the best deal for our hard earned money and it is upsetting when you tell people that paid ten thousand dollars for a spa that you purchased one for half and it is the same quality, same components and a direct apples to apples comparison. So rather then say thats terrific, they say you didn't get what you thought you did or you must be missing something that the ten thousand dollar spa gives."

I agree about the emotional part, but since I am new to owning a tub I feel that in my purchase I did get a just as good a tub for a lot less money. Since there is really no way for a novice to verify much of the opinions on this board and most dont care about components when they are purchasing they really have to just go on their likes or dislikes along with affordability when purchasing a hot tub. I actually showed pictures of the Legend along side the Arctic Nautilis to a few people in the office yesterday and 7 out of 10 said they thought the Artic looked kinda cheap compared to the Legend. Since none of these people have even seen my spa there wasnt any prejuidice from my side and they didnt even know which was which when they looked at the pictures.

I can't speak for everyone but I know of 2 people that are part of this debate that got spas for less money than the Hydro/Costco spa so your reasoning for us being upset because you got the same spa for half price doesn't really hold water (pun intended). I have nothing against the Hydro tub or for people who purchase spas online or from box stores as I purchased mine online from a box store.

So in your purchase what makes it less of a tub compared to the 10k tubs? Which of the many debates is it for you....fit and finish, dealer support, longevity, materials, options? When you sit in your tub and close your eyes do you really feel any difference from other tubs? I know I dont....and I wet tested the marquis, jacuzzi and vita. my tub has comfortable seats, nice tunes to listen to, purdy lights and my happy soaking a$$ doesnt feel the pumps inside or the fit and finish on the cabinet.

The reason that I personally post on the current costco issue isn't really to debate it with the people who are saying that the hydro/costco is just as good as a 10K tub, it's for the people who are new to tubs. I think it's pretty clear both sides aren't going to change thier minds. I do not believe that they are as good as higher end tubs and I think people should have all the info. After reading all the posts then people can make up thier own minds. I personally don't think there is anything special about the Hydro/Costco tubs, I think that there are a number of tubs in the same price range that are all about the same quality sold at other box stores and some dealers. There is a reason they are all the same price because they ARE similar in quality. This notion that Hydro/Costco tub has against all odds come up with a way to sell a tub that is the same as a 10K tub for 5K just doesn't add up for me. You get what you pay for. Sure there is some markup at the dealer but 5K? Come on.

I am glad there are people here to debate...it makes my time at work go by faster cause I also get caught up in the debate and find it kind of amusing to go back and forth with others. I also think there is really nothing special about any of the hot tubs...some are nicer than others but a "price" isnt what people should judge a tub on....It really comes down to what someone "likes" and if you can find it at a better price knock yourself out! If you like dealer support then the costco tub isnt for you...if you like dealer setup then the costco tub isnt for you....but if you feel you can go it alone, arent worried about having a dealer there to hold your hand through the process and you like to debate on poolsspaforum.com then I say go with the hydro spa.

Well, since we arent going to have any dealers come tell us what their markup is I think we may have to just "guess" at that. So whats the cost of having 10 to 15 tubs sitting in a showroom, 2 to 3 salemen, delivery fees and helpers to deliver, operational cost and all the other stuff that comes with owning/operating a business....5k doesnt sound that high.

I am suspicions of some posters motives. It's not just people who post costco stuff but over time you see someone pushing the same brand over and over again and they don't really answer other types of questions and I wonder why is someone posting 50 or 100 posts only about one product.

The only reason I am suspicious is if they try and act like a consumer but are actually in the industry. Speaking for myself you wont ever see me in another thread talking smack about tub x because I dont know anything about tub x. I have a Platinum Legend and thats about all you will hear me talk about on this forum. Unless someone is posting pics and I am commenting on how nice it looks or its just a thread asking for opinions.

I also find it quite entertaining to be honest.

Me also!

Which of the many debates is it for you....fit and finish, dealer support, longevity, materials, options?

All of the above.

IMO The two biggest drawbacks (I'm not just talking about the hydro but most of the box store tubs) are the poor insulation and not being able to wet test. I don't think that higher end tubs are more comfortable than lower end tubs but I think each tub is a little different and not being able to wet test you just don't know. I'm 6 4 and depth of a seat is very important to me, nothing worse than shoulders out of the water on a cold night. I wouldn't even consider getting a tub with a lounger without a wet test.

Having said that I still think the big box tubs are a good value for the right person who goes into it with their eyes open.

Which of the many debates is it for you....fit and finish, dealer support, longevity, materials, options?

All of the above.

IMO The two biggest drawbacks (I'm not just talking about the hydro but most of the box store tubs) are the poor insulation and not being able to wet test. I don't think that higher end tubs are more comfortable than lower end tubs but I think each tub is a little different and not being able to wet test you just don't know. I'm 6 4 and depth of a seat is very important to me, nothing worse than shoulders out of the water on a cold night. I wouldn't even consider getting a tub with a lounger without a wet test.

Having said that I still think the big box tubs are a good value for the right person who goes into it with their eyes open.

Wet test is definately a issue since you "cant" wet test and I would agree shoulders out of water sucks. And also agree that if you are getting a lounger without wet testing would surely leave a lot of room for disaster since its so hard to find one that "fits." Some costco's have them on their side in the steel and others have them on the floor, if you are concerned about "wet" testing then you might want to at least find one with the tub on the floor so you can at least sit in it. Some of my friends couldnt believe I actually went around to dealers wet testing their spas....they thought it was a tad uncomfortable....makes me wonder how many would buy a tub and not wet test because of embarrasement or whatever it is that would keep them from trying it out. I actually sat in one without water before I bought so I had a pretty good idea where my shoulders would be because this was a concern to me as well. A dry test doesnt give a clue as how they feel with water...so keep that in mind.

Wet test is definately a issue since you "cant" wet test and I would agree shoulders out of water sucks. And also agree that if you are getting a lounger without wet testing would surely leave a lot of room for disaster since its so hard to find one that "fits." Some costco's have them on their side in the steel and others have them on the floor, if you are concerned about "wet" testing then you might want to at least find one with the tub on the floor so you can at least sit in it. Some of my friends couldnt believe I actually went around to dealers wet testing their spas....they thought it was a tad uncomfortable....makes me wonder how many would buy a tub and not wet test because of embarrasement or whatever it is that would keep them from trying it out. I actually sat in one without water before I bought so I had a pretty good idea where my shoulders would be because this was a concern to me as well. A dry test doesnt give a clue as how they feel with water...so keep that in mind.

I have been to every spa dealer in 3 towns around,,, I can't bring myself to wet test a spa yet... call it embarrasement or call it courtesy to others ...i haven't even had one dealer offer..maybe they forgot to ask... maybe it's because i'm 300 lbs (mostly muscle....Yeh right) Funny thing is that my wife has been begged and pleaded to "wet test" eveything from spas to bathroom sinks......maybe she looks like she needs to wet test something (i doubt it has anything to do with her being 10 years younger then me and 98 lbs ...naaah couldn't be) but we are looking at the legend.... we liked a local coleman dealer alot but i only have around 4 or 5$ to spend. i don't have that really, TGfCC (thank God for credit cards...

I have been to every spa dealer in 3 towns around,,, I can't bring myself to wet test a spa yet... call it embarrasement or call it courtesy to others ...i haven't even had one dealer offer..maybe they forgot to ask... maybe it's because i'm 300 lbs (mostly muscle....Yeh right) Funny thing is that my wife has been begged and pleaded to "wet test" eveything from spas to bathroom sinks......maybe she looks like she needs to wet test something (i doubt it has anything to do with her being 10 years younger then me and 98 lbs ...naaah couldn't be) but we are looking at the legend.... we liked a local coleman dealer alot but i only have around 4 or 5$ to spend. i don't have that really, TGfCC (thank God for credit cards...

I know there are a few dealers here in Orlando that have private rooms...mood rooms whatever you want to call them with a unit already setup. Every dealer I went to suggested a wet test...but only on models they already had water in...not sure what would have happened had I asked about a tub not setup. I honestly can see what a dealer would let someone purchase one without wet testing...or at least suggesting it and letting the customer decide if they wanted to.

Now as far as your wife.....if she is that hot like I said...your(she) is more than welcome to wet test mine! /grin

If your strapped maybe you should wait and see about saving...damn them credit cards!! Unless your wife is really great at bouncing it around for the best rate...which I suck at!

I know there are a few dealers here in Orlando that have private rooms...mood rooms whatever you want to call them with a unit already setup. Every dealer I went to suggested a wet test...but only on models they already had water in...not sure what would have happened had I asked about a tub not setup. I honestly can see what a dealer would let someone purchase one without wet testing...or at least suggesting it and letting the customer decide if they wanted to.

Now as far as your wife.....if she is that hot like I said...your(she) is more than welcome to wet test mine! /grin

If your strapped maybe you should wait and see about saving...damn them credit cards!! Unless your wife is really great at bouncing it around for the best rate...which I suck at!

hey i didn't get to where i'm at today by saving money(crap) as for my wife she is good at bouncing it around....(ohh your talking about credit cards...).