Costco Elite Platinum Spa

paintnsunni

Circ pump, One two spead pump, one one speed pump with enough force to push you out of your seat if you desire..... Got to the website for deminsions ect....but plenty of power and alot of large soothing jets not just wated bullet ones.

I dunno...right on that very page under PLATINUM II is clearly says:

Platinum II Parts Break Down :P

They even admit that they break down....Sheesh! :lol:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the imput guys and for your opinions. As I've said many times before, on paper this unit really looks great. Lots of jets, good configurations, nice footdome, etc. The true test of any product, however, is time. What will be the reliability after a few years, how many hassles will owners go through for repairs, and how much additional cost will they incur after the warranties run out? I sincerely hope none of you will have major problems and if you don't, the free market will see to it that HydroSpa becomes a leader in the spa industry by the fact they can sell a full featured spa at a very low price!

Most spas look good on paper. Some of them look slicker than snot. Some of those even look nice when you see them in person in the showroom. When you start looking reaaaaallllllyyyyy close, you start to notice things like warping in the flimsy cabinets, blisters and bubbles on the shells, cheap or non-existent insulation, poor fit and finish and overall quality of construction. THAT is when the chaff falls by the wayside, but sadly, so many people can't get past the "high jet count, high horsepower, low cost" barrier.

Do the research people. Don't listen to all the yahoos on these forums (including me) try to steer you towards certain products. See them for yourselves, look inside the cabinets, kick them, jump up and down in them, get in and wet test them. Find a dealer that you are comfortable with and has been carrying THE SAME BRAND for more than a couple of years. Avoid dealers that have carried numerous brands as most of them will drop you in a heartbeat. If you buy from a Costco or Sam's, ask to see inside the spa. Don't be shy, it's your spa, rough it up a bit and see if it can take it. If you do that, you will just KNOW if it's the right spa for you.

Terminator

Most spas look good on paper. Some of them look slicker than snot. Some of those even look nice when you see them in person in the showroom. When you start looking reaaaaallllllyyyyy close, you start to notice things like warping in the flimsy cabinets, blisters and bubbles on the shells, cheap or non-existent insulation, poor fit and finish and overall quality of construction. THAT is when the chaff falls by the wayside, but sadly, so many people can't get past the "high jet count, high horsepower, low cost" barrier.

Do the research people. Don't listen to all the yahoos on these forums (including me) try to steer you towards certain products. See them for yourselves, look inside the cabinets, kick them, jump up and down in them, get in and wet test them. Find a dealer that you are comfortable with and has been carrying THE SAME BRAND for more than a couple of years. Avoid dealers that have carried numerous brands as most of them will drop you in a heartbeat. If you buy from a Costco or Sam's, ask to see inside the spa. Don't be shy, it's your spa, rough it up a bit and see if it can take it. If you do that, you will just KNOW if it's the right spa for you.

Terminator [/quote

Thats a good post!

OK, is it not listed on costco.com? Are they waiting for the Elite III model?

Good question. I have visited Costco's site on numerous occasions. I have NEVER seen the Platinum I or II (or the Elite) spas listed. Our local Costco store told me they don't sell them except maybe for weekend type "road shows" but they couldn't even confirm they were this model. Maybe they don't because of the competition in the Chicago area where you can find almost every brand at local dealers. But I wouldn't buy one of these HydroSpas without the full warranty of Costco. There have been too many reports of bad experiences.

Here's a post from another person. Seems that contrary to some assertions that problems are unique.

Review By: Costco Shopper

I have to weigh in on the Costco version of the Hydro Spa, packaged as “Elite Spa”. I filled the Spa on a Monday, and it has worked properly for 2 out of 7 days. The spa looks like it’s a great deal, with 64 jets, 2 pumps, aromatherapy, sound system, etc, however, go take a look at a Cal Spa, Jacuzzi or Hot Springs and you’ll realize that the Hydro Spa is a disaster waiting to happen. I’ve had the panels off of the spa almost every night this week searching for why there are trouble codes that are not even referenced in the Owner’s Manual. Tubes blown off under the spa twice, flooding the spa equipment and my yard. The subwoofer didn’t work because someone with Hydro Spa decided to fix a broken fuse with electrical tape prior to shipping. The 24 hour circulation pump sounds like a lawn mower 24 HOURS A DAY! The pumps randomly go into a pulsating mode indefinitely, and you cannot perform any other function, except to give it a certain choice finger as you go beat your head against the wall. Read comments on the web about their Customer Service – miserable. Spend the extra $1500 and buy a real spa. The savings is temporary when you do the math on what a Cal Spa (for example) will save over time on energy consumption with GE motors, Corona Discharge Ozonators, full foam insulation, a 2 AMP draw on the circulation pump, etc.

the P2, has a balboa circut board and heater, system, are you disputing that they are no good? I read varied reports on hydrospas service, but i got a email back within a few hours. As far as I've read, balboa is a sound product. hydrospa doesnt make them, jmendoza, it seems like your on a real smear campaign of this product. have you ever bought a tv that was no good out of the box? **** happens, and sometimes it happens to you. words to live by, don't get bent out of shape for the rest of your life cause you had bad luck or took the wrong deal. others like myself are satisfied they got what they paid for. personally, id rather learn the circuts and do any of my own repairs, opposed to some late - butt cracked spa tech prodding around my unit while it sits offline waiting for a part. ive requested a service manual and am getting a line on parts listing IN CASE i need them in the future.

but im the kinda guy that has 2 new cars that uses dealer service only for warranty, but will service them after that. oops, i tore apart a perfectly good brand new car, and supercharged it, and altered almost every component including suspension, engine, computer, and so on.

so this cheap ass spa is just right for me. i could care less about warranty or service on something as cheap as a spa.

have you ever bought a brand new home, and seen all the bugs that had to be worked out?

Most people, I would suggest, don't want to be bothered oor have the ability to repair or add to their brand new spas. In my case, I don't have the expertise to do so; I'm just not handy when it comes to repairing electronic and mechanical devices like these. (I'm happy to change a light bulb or when feeling brave to replace a fixture or switch plate!) So good for you that have the ability and desire to do this stuff (I'm especially about supercharging your car), but most don't want any part of being a serviceman. For those that can, I think these types of units would be great buys!

this is funny, as i had this conversation with my neighbor last night. he helped us drag the tub to my backyard, and were invited in before the kids long list of freinds. him and his wife were sold on a tub, and started shopping. they did look at costco, and i think about 5 other reputable spa shops in town. admittedly, he couldnt find the same bargain, but all the toys arent important to him. he spent about 40% more without stereo ozonator and uv, and his unit will be delivered tomorrow after waiting 6 weeks, and we joke about whos will break first. lol

i didnt mention that he owns a pluming/heating co., and fixing it would be in his list of abilities, but he would preffer not to, as many people, understandably. i hope i do not need warranty, nor excersise a feild repair either, i just want to be prepared for what may happen.

my brother has a tub that is about 3-4 years now , and needs the complete control/heating unit. I'm not sure what brand he has, but he opted for having the spa company pour the pad, do set up, turnkey spa. he paid $15000 cdn, and he isnt happy. so,, who is right. after chemicals and wiring i spent 5900 cdn.

i think this represents the views off many here, and we got a case of beer riding on who wins the spa wars. lol.

now i just have to change over my mechanical, and get my boiler/fan coil/ac system in, but thats another story....

Firestorm, is that a new alias for Paintsunni.

I am not on a smear campaign, just tellin the truth. I am however pretty sick of being told by people like you and paintsunni what a great product Hydrospa is and how those who buy it should spend lots of time babying the sweet little product trying to diagnose its idiosyncracies and all the other blarney.

You make a lot of excuses for a crappy product and I am angry that I spent my money on it. If you don't like it, too bad. It's my experience and every time I think about getting ripped off, I am not happy.

Please spare me the hokum about how a consumer needs to trouble shoot products. It only proves your naivete to assume that in a sophisticated and well-developed consumer marketplace that anyone should have to deal with the kind of inferior quality issues that have long-ago been solved by most industries.

Good products work properly are reliable and create satisfied consumers. Bad products leave lingering ill effects. So get me going again and I'll find lots of stories about the crappy spa I bought. No smear, just facts.

im not doing anything but telling what my experience was compared to to thers, including yours. sorry for your luck, but til i hit your fortune, im happy.

Sounds fair enough. Happy for ya. I'm sure if they have 10% fail ratio, they would do well to get on it and deal quickly with issues. Fact is that their customer service if horrendous. The spa may be a dud from day one and that can easily be remedied, but there is absolutely no excuse for excuses, lame responses and overall poor customer service. I had forgotten how terrible they were until I read paintdummy's boasting about what great service Hydrospa has.

For me it was 100,000% crappy service. At one point they even tried to blame me for the problem. A tactic I've heard has happened to others.

By the way firestorm, it was not bad service on one call. It happened consistently during my experience with these people. Standard message is "I hear you have a problem and I'd like to help." Then they don't really help. I am surprised they are in business.

Not sure what you mean by that? But like I said, glad you enjoy your spa. Makes me wonder though, if you can afford two new cars why did you go for such a cheapo spa? The nice ones cost $10K

I read paintdummy's boasting about what great service Hydrospa has......

[/size]

What's with that? I always called you Mr. :lol: Be nice there! this is the kinder gentler board of late....I hope the spa didn't put you over the top...supposed to be enjoyable..and yes my spa has given me no problems whatsoever.....funny you mention that though.I saw the Clearwater fireplace and spa truck and repair guy at me neighbors, we got our spas within two weeks :unsure::unsure:

[/color]

So back on the post here.. I feel The Costco Elite Spa is great value for the average consumer offering a good price, good quality construction, good quality components and enough features thay easily destinguish this spa from a entry level or starter spa. The Elite III that is soon to be out is a great looking spa as well albeit $1000.00 more makeing it $4999.00 but still a good value vs. features and quality.

who said affordability entered into this. as i posted above, it was an impulse item kinda like grabbing a candy bar in the checkout lineup at safeways. your always so suspicious it seems, like your grasping at strawas to make everyone else as miserable as you. fyi, i have 5 cars, and with cash, comes knowledge, drive, and the ability to see things through. i pity you. GOOD DAY.

im not sure what just happened to my last post, but i am not staying here to be attacked by you on a daily basis. i have better things to do. all i did was post the truth as i saw it, so others who are seeking feedback can wiegh their decisions, you have no business crusading aginst the honest individual.

Not sure what you mean by that? But like I said, glad you enjoy your spa. Makes me wonder though, if you can afford two new cars why did you go for such a cheapo spa? The nice ones cost $10K

I read paintdummy's boasting about what great service Hydrospa has......

[/size]

What's with that? I always called you Mr. :lol: Be nice there! this is the kinder gentler board of late....I hope the spa didn't put you over the top...supposed to be enjoyable..and yes my spa has given me no problems whatsoever.....funny you mention that though.I saw the Clearwater fireplace and spa truck and repair guy at me neighbors, we got our spas within two weeks :unsure::unsure:

[/color]

So back on the post here.. I feel The Costco Elite Spa is great value for the average consumer offering a good price, good quality construction, good quality components and enough features thay easily destinguish this spa from a entry level or starter spa. The Elite III that is soon to be out is a great looking spa as well albeit $1000.00 more makeing it $4999.00 but still a good value vs. features and quality.

I feel its an inferior product manufactured by an unresponsive company. So you still do not answer the question and it has to be clear to anyone who reads this that you work on behalf of Hydropsa. Tha fact that you won't admit it and masquerade as a consumer makes the information deceptive. Shame on Hydropsa.

I feel its an inferior product manufactured by an unresponsive company. So you still do not answer the question and it has to be clear to anyone who reads this that you work on behalf of Hydropsa. Tha fact that you won't admit it and masquerade as a consumer makes the information deceptive. Shame on Hydropsa.

Funny thing though, as I sit and work out my dilemma, I am actually considering tring to get Hydrospa to fix the one I have. That would give them a last opportunity to fix the problem and save me a lot of hassle.

I am not sure if the post above is directed at myself as the prior poster jumps on his soap box and spews no matter what is said, or by whom. To clarify, I am an Alberta businessman who has had little to do with spas other than renting a fancy room, in order to get into one....

In retrospect, i should have become a professional consumer, and found all that was available and did my best to play Mr. Potato Spa..

by that i mean, find all features and decide what i want, rather than seeing 1 cool looking unit, and buying it because i could. It took me 2 months of debating to buy my last car, i shoulda been the same tire kicking dude, when looking for a spa. A bigger heater woulda made me happier (and that will likely be changed soon) , but sorry to dissapoint you, my PII is still operational. Again, I've only posted based on what's happened/not happened to me, on this purchase sice reading venom spewn early in this thread, and making me almost sink into buyers remorse even before i hooked it up. I hope this will cease any negative PM's and stop spam™ filled replies directed at myself.