Hot Tub Platform

tmadiar

I currently have a 4 inch reinforced 5000 psi concrete patio (re-bar and fiber mesh) with a 5&1/2 compacted sub-base. I will be shortly receiving my new Sundance Optima tub and I am thinking of building a 2x6 framed platform to increase the height of the hot tub to be inline with an existing deck. I am wondering if anyone else has built a platform on concrete? If so, how did you frame yours?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I currently have a 4 inch reinforced 5000 psi concrete patio (re-bar and fiber mesh) with a 5&1/2 compacted sub-base. I will be shortly receiving my new Sundance Optima tub and I am thinking of building a 2x6 framed platform to increase the height of the hot tub to be inline with an existing deck. I am wondering if anyone else has built a platform on concrete? If so, how did you frame yours?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I built on with treated 4x4's and 3/4 plywood, worked great. If you need more height maybe 6x6's or a very narrow c to c on 2 bys.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hi,

I built a 10x10 platform with treated 2x4's lag-bolted together, on a 6 inch bed of gravel with 12" centers and topped with 5/4 decking. Works and looks great and was very cheap to build.

Some readers at first glance, might think the 2x4's are not sufficient, but since the gravel supports the 2x4s totally. there is no span for them to support any weight. I had my doubts at first, too, but ran it by several building engineers, the local building inspector and my tub dealer, and they all agreed it would work fine, and it has. Same concept as the plastic spa pads you simply lay on a flat service, but this, being one piece instead of 4 or 6, is much more rigid and stronger.

Thanks Randy

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Do you think the re-bar and fiber mesh was overkill, or definitely required for a tub of that size (or any 5-6 person tub?). And how did you arrive at the 5000 PSI number?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Do you think the re-bar and fiber mesh was overkill, or definitely required for a tub of that size (or any 5-6 person tub?). And how did you arrive at the 5000 PSI number?

I originally built the patio with no intention of owning a hot tub. The patio is quite large with dimensions of 18'x30'. The 5000psi was derived from the redi-mix provider.

Absolutely not! That sort of thing is done not only to help strengthen the concrete, but to help keep from cracking all to heck.

I put re bar in 4 x 8 equipment pads!

The psi number is the weight concrete can take (in pounds) per square inch.