1989 Sundance Sentry "marin Heater Or Thermostat Issue?

Chris Odell

Hello all. I am the proud new owner a a very old but nice 1989 Sundance Sentry 605 Marin. Everything works great on the unit except for it seems there may be a thermostat or heater issue. Here is what has happened...

We are wired with 240 and the first day we installed the tub it heated up to it's max temp (104f) without an issue. Since then even in standard mode with the temp gauge maxed out for a whole day it never gets past about 80f. It seems like the heater is indeed working and in fact the previous owner thought the thermostat was broken since the tub got too hot. So is this a temp sensor issue or thermostat issue. Or perhaps a heating element or flow through the heating element problem?

I can't find a repair manual online for the model so any advice you can offer will be most appreciated.

Also a more simple question..The manual says to filter in at least 1 hour cycles for about 6 hours a day, is that right or can it be safely toned down a bit?

Thank you for your time.

Judging by the lack of replies I am assuming I have posted incorrectly somehow, please let me know if that is the case so I can correct the issue. I could really use some help, even really basic help.

Also now the spa won't go past 70f even though the heater light is on constantly in standard mode.

Much appreciated.

Hello all. I am the proud new owner a a very old but nice 1989 Sundance Sentry 605 Marin. Everything works great on the unit except for it seems there may be a thermostat or heater issue. Here is what has happened...

We are wired with 240 and the first day we installed the tub it heated up to it's max temp (104f) without an issue. Since then even in standard mode with the temp gauge maxed out for a whole day it never gets past about 80f. It seems like the heater is indeed working and in fact the previous owner thought the thermostat was broken since the tub got too hot. So is this a temp sensor issue or thermostat issue. Or perhaps a heating element or flow through the heating element problem?

I can't find a repair manual online for the model so any advice you can offer will be most appreciated.

Also a more simple question..The manual says to filter in at least 1 hour cycles for about 6 hours a day, is that right or can it be safely toned down a bit?

Thank you for your time.

On some of the older sundance models a flow light is lit on the display. That means the pressure switch is closed and should turn the heater on.

With spa calling for heat you need need to test the amp draw with clamp on ammeter. Should be above 20 amps with the heater and pump running. You could also chack the voltage at the heater terminals to see if the board is closing the heater relay.

On some of the older sundance models a flow light is lit on the display. That means the pressure switch is closed and should turn the heater on.

With spa calling for heat you need need to test the amp draw with clamp on ammeter. Should be above 20 amps with the heater and pump running. You could also chack the voltage at the heater terminals to see if the board is closing the heater relay.

The flow light is on so that is exactly what i will try next. I'll keep checking here for any other advice too.

Thank you !

Turns out my circuit board was fried, ugh. I guess that night was it's last stand.

I might have a circuit board laying around for that... if your intrested...

i should have checked here earlier, just ordered one, but it was a good deal if it works , $225.

but thank you, i'll post here if need more parts :)