Infinity Motor Issue

blazesbbq

Hey Gang,

My Infinity has two motors. Both will initially come on, but one of the motors will only run about two minutes before shutting down (thus shutting off half the jets). While it won't restart right away, it will after some down time - and sometimes comes back on its own.

Any ideas? When I filled it, I did fill through the filters (though one more than the other).

Hey Gang,

My Infinity has two motors. Both will initially come on, but one of the motors will only run about two minutes before shutting down (thus shutting off half the jets). While it won't restart right away, it will after some down time - and sometimes comes back on its own.

Any ideas? When I filled it, I did fill through the filters (though one more than the other).

The motor is tripping on its internal overloads. When it cools down it starts heats up and then shuts down.

Sound like you need a new pump

More then likely your tub has two (A.O. SMITH) ultimax 4.0 hp 240VAC motors.

one motor operates as a 2 speeds and the other is a 2 speed motor and just runs at high speed. Some Infinity's use 6 HP motors but the testing method is the same...

The tubs from Texas used lots of them 4.0 hp ultimax's

1. remove the side cover

2. restart hot tub. turn on both motors

3. when the motor shut down, touch the side of each motor.

one of them should be HOT !!!!

we change a LOT of them 4.0 hp Mexican motors

DON'T run these motors run dry or you will kill the pump in seconds !!!!!

If you bought it from COSTCO then go talk to the store manager where you bought it.

If you bought it from somebody else then GOOD LUCK..

More then likely your tub has two (A.O. SMITH) ultimax 4.0 hp 240VAC motors.

one motor operates as a 2 speeds and the other is a 2 speed motor and just runs at high speed. Some Infinity's use 6 HP motors but the testing method is the same...

The tubs from Texas used lots of them 4.0 hp ultimax's

1. remove the side cover

2. restart hot tub. turn on both motors

3. when the motor shut down, touch the side of each motor.

one of them should be HOT !!!!

we change a LOT of them 4.0 hp Mexican motors

DON'T run these motors run dry or you will kill the pump in seconds !!!!!

If you bought it from COSTCO then go talk to the store manager where you bought it.

If you bought it from somebody else then GOOD LUCK..

Thanks. This tun has two 6hp motors. I was afraid one might be overheating and tripping.

Like I said in my last post

"If you bought it from COSTCO then go talk to the store manager where you bought it."

COSTCO held back a bunch of money from Dave (Infinity Spa's) and will pay to have your tub fixed. Some company called "hot tub services" is supposed to be fixing them but they haven't called or fixed anything yet in our area. So in N.W. Washington State, Im fixing Hydrospa, Keys and Infinity for Costco......I like fixing tubs for COSTCO, cause they PAY ON TIME !!!!!!!!!!!

If you got your tub from Sam's or Home Depot then GOOD LUCK !!!!! I hear sad stories from Home Depot tub owners all the time.

Why a whole pump, rather than just a motor?

In my neck of the woods the cheapest motor plus a seal is $100.00 bucks cheaper and if I do the swap add another $45.00. Add more if impeller breaks etc

Also with a motor only AO smith is a 1 year warranty were as the pump warranties are better. Aqua Flo is prorated 5 year with year 1 and 2 full replacement. Seals not included. I called Pentair/Vico and they told me it is 3 years on ultrajet pumps.

After I explain all this to customers not many want a motor replaced.

Why a whole pump, rather than just a motor?

I always do both also Doc. Just seems more logical to put a new pump and motor in than just a new motor on an old pump. And the difference is only 100 bucks. By the time you put the labor into swapping the pump to a new motor it's a wash.