Infinity Spa

Markee

This is an E-MAIL I got today 11-10-08 Monday from Dave Hatley, owner of Infinity Spa's

I can't even write checks, bank took over I'll be filing Chapter 7 soon.

You should blame and go after Costco, nothing I can do, I'm sorry

Dave Hatley

Lets see Dave, You made crappy, low quality, sub standard tubs and we should blame Costco

for that. Costco pays their bills on time and you have NEVER done that with any of your repair people and im suppose to blame Costco cause you don't.

More than Dave building crap, was the useless people he had running his operation. No wonder he went bankrupt! I tried for 10 months to have a $5700 brand new hot tub placed back in to servicable condition. Thanks Dave. I hope one day someone repays you the same favor!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir,

I purchased a $5700 hot tub from Infinity through Incredible hot tubs June 2008. I had multiple problems when it arrived at my house. Since that time I have been dealing with about ten different Infinity techs. Each time someone would start helping me, they would just dissapear after a couple of weeks and I would be told that person quit, got laid off or fired. I must have spent 100 hours on the phone and sent at least about 40 e-mails to their company. Finally I have all the parts I need except for an led light controller, which they told me was not produced any longer. I do have a compete led wiring harness from them, but it's not made to work with the led controller that came with my tub and there is nothing wrong with my led light harness any way. The led light controller does not project all the lights when certain color light options are selected. My hot tub has three 6hp pumps and over 100 ss jets. It looks like it was built ok, except for some quality control issues. My tub was a cancelled order that went for $6800 and I thought I was doing good only paying $5700. But with all the headaches I wish I would have paid more to a local company. Do you have any advice for me as far as warranty goes and also for my led light controller problem Sir. I will greatly appreciate your time and help.

Article from Johnson City Press:

A local spa manufacturer, Infinity Spas, has sold its operations to a Florida company that will close facilities in Johnson City and Elizabethton, resulting in 150 layoffs that Infinity officials announced to workers Monday afternoon. Another local company that makes vinyl fencing products also announced it was in the midst of a 40-employee layoff.

Infinity, which opened in 2005, worked the deal with a Tampa company, Living Water Products, over the past couple weeks, and CEO Dave Hatley said severe reductions in demand had hit both companies hard since the spring.

“We didn't really see a downturn until about May or June, but the last couple months there’s just been a sharp decline,” said Hatley, whose company sold to stores like Costco and Home Depot.

“Those guys are really taking a hit in the leisure product industry, which is where we fall.”

Infinity’s Web site shows 12 spa models with suggested retail prices from $2,899 to $16,999, with eight of the 12 between $5,000 and $10,000.

Infinity had 110 employees at its manufacturing plant on Buffalo Road, and another 40 in a call center and distribution warehouse in Elizabethton. Hatley said workers will be eligible for unemployment benefits and probably additional retraining help, but added that he hated to be breaking the news.

“Everybody knew things were slowing down, but I don't think they saw a consolidation coming,” Hatley said of the local workers.

“This is a great area for labor force,” Hatley said. “The cost and labor force around here is tremendous, but there’s really no other alternative for us.”

He said Infinity and Living Water both were producing at about 30 percent of capacity since the sudden slowdown this summer.

“There's no way we can facilitate an operation this size with those type of economic conditions. It’s just one of those times when manufacturers have to come together and hunker down and get through this downturn.”

Hatley said the acquisition will give Living Water, which manufactures Lazy Boy and Coleman branded spas mostly for pool and spa stores, to broaden its market to the mass merchants that were Infinity's customers. They’ll keep the Infinity name on the products, but make them in Tampa.

Today’s news was the end of what turned out to be a brief chapter in local manufacturing. Infinity opened in 2005 when, Hatley said, “we saw a certain niche in the spa industry, and we just decided to start manufacturing and go after it.”

That niche was selling to large retailers — Hatley said he came out of the retail industry — and it worked, as the company moved from 30 employees in 2005 to 80 in 2006 and 200 in 2007, and even bought a Dallas-based competitor, Keys Backyard, last year.

The company bought its 200,000-square-foot Elizabethton location last year with plans to expand further and consolidate its operations there (its Buffalo Road plant is 75,000 square feet).

Instead, workers found themselves without jobs when they pulled out of the parking lot Monday.

In other news, ProPlastix International Inc., which makes vinyl fencing and window and door products, is expected to lay off 40 workers during a period that began Oct. 14 and will end Nov. 30. The news was reported Monday by the state Department of Labor and Workforce Development.

A spokesman at the company's Pennsylvania headquarters would not comment on the layoffs, but a local economic development official said he thought the company employed a total of about 50 people.

Sir,

I purchased a $5700 hot tub from Infinity through Incredible hot tubs June 2008. I had multiple problems when it arrived at my house. Since that time I have been dealing with about ten different Infinity techs. Each time someone would start helping me, they would just dissapear after a couple of weeks and I would be told that person quit, got laid off or fired. I must have spent 100 hours on the phone and sent at least about 40 e-mails to their company. Finally I have all the parts I need except for an led light controller, which they told me was not produced any longer. I do have a compete led wiring harness from them, but it's not made to work with the led controller that came with my tub and there is nothing wrong with my led light harness any way. The led light controller does not project all the lights when certain color light options are selected. My hot tub has three 6hp pumps and over 100 ss jets. It looks like it was built ok, except for some quality control issues. My tub was a cancelled order that went for $6800 and I thought I was doing good only paying $5700. But with all the headaches I wish I would have paid more to a local company. Do you have any advice for me as far as warranty goes and also for my led light controller problem Sir. I will greatly appreciate your time and help.

As a tech, generaly when you work on a few tubs and don't get paid you tend to dissapear. Then the company that didn't pay you says you quit, got laid off, or fired.

Call a local service guy and pay him yourself to fix it.

SO there warranties are not being honored by anyone after factory closes?

I have to say...I worked on many Infinity/Keys and all of their other name tubs knowing: A. I would most likely never get paid($7k to date) and B. I would have these customers as soon as they go bankrupt yet again for non-warranty repairs.! I love low end tubs and the buyers that buy them since they can only see that it costs 3-5k up front and that the long term cost of repair usually is more then if they had bought a premium spa to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I have been at my local Costco and mentioned to someone looking to buy one of the piece of junk spas only to be called months later to fix their new tub.

I have to say...I worked on many Infinity/Keys and all of their other name tubs knowing: A. I would most likely never get paid($7k) and B. I would have these customers as soon as they go bankrupt yet again for non-warranty repairs.! I love low end tubs and the buyers that buy them since they can only see that is costs 3-5k up front and that the long term cost of repair usually is more then if they had bought a premium spa to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I have been at my local Costco and mentioned to someone looking to buy on of the piece of junk spas only to be called months later to fix their new tub.

I would hope a post like yours would sink in to people but instead some will just call you a "Costco hater". The saving grace is knowing that for every person who will shout to the heavens that Costco spas are great (because they want to justify falling into the trap) there are many more who silently heed the warnings.

I have to say...I worked on many Infinity/Keys and all of their other name tubs knowing: A. I would most likely never get paid($7k to date) and B. I would have these customers as soon as they go bankrupt yet again for non-warranty repairs.! I love low end tubs and the buyers that buy them since they can only see that it costs 3-5k up front and that the long term cost of repair usually is more then if they had bought a premium spa to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I have been at my local Costco and mentioned to someone looking to buy one of the piece of junk spas only to be called months later to fix their new tub.

Months later? why would they call you? I think most spas sold at Costco come with at least a 24 month complete warranty and some as much as five so how do you fit in that scenario? I don't see how a customer would ever call you directly even on the bankrupt companies as Costco would set up and pay for a tech and honor the warranty.

I know alot of people here that have had minimal issues with their spas that include me at three years with no issue to date.

I know alot of people here that have had minimal issues with their spas that include me at three years with no issue to date.

And ten times more here that have had issues, are still having issues and will have issues for the life of the tub. So what's your point. Go look in the posts here and see if you find more than just a couple people that don't have issues.

NO

If the Infinity spa was bought at a Costco store, then Costco has agreed to honor the warranty that came with the spa. So far, I haven't had a reason to call them with a problem, but this is what I was told by the customer service rep. when I called right after Infinity went out of business and my experience with Costco's customer service has always been good.

Sandi

NO

This is inaccurate.

We recently had a minor issue with our 1 year old Infinity (purchased at Costco.) When I called Infinity, they directed us to Costco, who has contracted with Hot Tub Services for repairs. They in turn contracted with a local independent tech and he quickly came out to fix our problem, although he wound up ordering the wrong part!

Costco said that if at any time in the future we became dissatisfied with the tub, they would come pick it up at our home and give us a complete refund. So they are more than honoring the warranty. They've actually provided exemplary customer service, which is rare in this day and age. From what I've read, Costco's service is far better than Infinity ever was (before they went belly up.)

And, oh yeah...the hot tub has worked great and has been a great source of relaxation and therapy. We saved TONS of money by not buying from one of our local dealers who overcharge for their tubs. I understand why all these dealers hate Costco...they take your business! And if we run into any issues down the road, we can get a complete refund. If it hadn't been for the affordable price Costco offered, we never could have afforded a tub. There are a lot of people out there just like us.

This is inaccurate.

We recently had a minor issue with our 1 year old Infinity (purchased at Costco.) When I called Infinity, they directed us to Costco, who has contracted with Hot Tub Services for repairs. They in turn contracted with a local independent tech and he quickly came out to fix our problem, although he wound up ordering the wrong part!

Your not telling us if it is repaired? Because alot of techs aren't getting paid, so they only work on a couple before they figure it out. I always make the home owner pay me and chase there own reimbursment.

Costco said that if at any time in the future we became dissatisfied with the tub, they would come pick it up at our home and give us a complete refund. So they are more than honoring the warranty. They've actually provided exemplary customer service, which is rare in this day and age. From what I've read, Costco's service is far better than Infinity ever was (before they went belly up.)

Not sure if you have seen any of the other posts here but it seems they aren't willing to come get it and give refund always, only sometimes. And there's a 1000 bucks restock or whatever and it's a store credit that you get. Not exactly a full refund.

And, oh yeah...the hot tub has worked great and has been a great source of relaxation and therapy. We saved TONS of money by not buying from one of our local dealers who overcharge for their tubs. I understand why all these dealers hate Costco...they take your business! And if we run into any issues down the road, we can get a complete refund. If it hadn't been for the affordable price Costco offered, we never could have afforded a tub. There are a lot of people out there just like us.

This is inacurate

It's not that the dealers don't like them because there tubs are so cheap. Costco gives so many people bad experiences with tubs that people who would own one for a long time don't bother after there Costco tub goes to hell in a few years because they had so much trouble and they end up not buying another because there only experience with tubs is that they break down alot and don't last very long. When in all actuality they very seldom break down and last a long time when you purchase a quality tub from a quality manufacturer. And I'm not even a dealer. For me inexpensive tubs like Costco's are a great source of income. But seeing folks dump there tubs and not get another after 4-5 years is dissheartening.

This is inaccurate.

Your not telling us if it is repaired? Because alot of techs aren't getting paid, so they only work on a couple before they figure it out. I always make the home owner pay me and chase there own reimbursment.

Not sure if you have seen any of the other posts here but it seems they aren't willing to come get it and give refund always, only sometimes. And there's a 1000 bucks restock or whatever and it's a store credit that you get. Not exactly a full refund.

This is inacurate

It's not that the dealers don't like them because there tubs are so cheap. Costco gives so many people bad experiences with tubs that people who would own one for a long time don't bother after there Costco tub goes to hell in a few years because they had so much trouble and they end up not buying another because there only experience with tubs is that they break down alot and don't last very long. When in all actuality they very seldom break down and last a long time when you purchase a quality tub from a quality manufacturer. And I'm not even a dealer. For me inexpensive tubs like Costco's are a great source of income. But seeing folks dump there tubs and not get another after 4-5 years is dissheartening.

Yes, fixed. Hot Tub Services, via Costco, is paying the tech. The same tech, who contracted with Infinity before, was having trouble getting paid by Infinity in the past. That is not the case now. He's actually been great and full of good tips and pointers for a new tub owner.

I have it in writing that they will come pick it up. Full refund, no restocking fee. As for cash vs. store credit...a store credit would be OK with us because we do a lot of shopping at Costco and buy all our gas there, too.

I know at least 3 other people who bought tubs from Costco and I checked with them before we bought ours a year ago. They have had no problems, other than learning how to balance their water...but that's to be expected. The money we've saved by going with Costco vs. a local, overcharging dealer allowed us to buy a hot tub in the first place, and the jets on our tub have more juice than any that we wet tested. Even if we get just 3 years out of it, the cost difference will be worth it. We couldn't have afforded a hot tub at the prices our local dealers charge and we'd be without a hot tub altogether.

Roger,

For the record, if you return a spa to Costco, you don't have to take a store credit. I know the post you're referring to b/c I thought the same thing til I got clarification. If you pay cash for a spa and then return it, you get cash back. If you pay by credit card, then Costco credits your credit card. The guy who got the store credit for a refund had charged the spa but didn't want a $2000 credit on his credit card, so he asked for a store credit instead.

Sandi

I know at least 3 other people who bought tubs from Costco and I checked with them before we bought ours a year ago. They have had no problems, other than learning how to balance their water...but that's to be expected. The money we've saved by going with Costco vs. a local, overcharging dealer allowed us to buy a hot tub in the first place, and the jets on our tub have more juice than any that we wet tested. Even if we get just 3 years out of it, the cost difference will be worth it. We couldn't have afforded a hot tub at the prices our local dealers charge and we'd be without a hot tub altogether.

Sounds to me like your genarlizing 1 or 2 particular dealers into the all are bad catagory, that's not fair.

There are many many hundreds of dealers that don't overcharge for what you get. Apperently you didn't have any close to you? That's to bad because I know hundreds and hundreds of people who had great dealer experiences.

So 3 grand for 3 years, 6 grand for 6 years 9 grand for 9 years seems thats about a grand a year, right? For 9 grand I could of got you a tub that would last for 15-20 years and use less than half the power. Seems like not a good value to me but hey, we all figure our own value and if you couldn't afford 9 grand then I am glad your in a tub. Just don't assume all tubs only last 3 years and have problems throughout there life, please.

If you wet tested a bunch that didn't feel as good as your current tub then you didn't wet test a very good brand that had real jets. Because i've had several tubs hooked up for me to use just like the one you own and while it had good water flow considering the morphidite plumbing configuration it had a crappy feel compared to all the high quality tubs with top notch jets that I have had hooked up and tested, or soaked in at sometime during my 30+ year soaking experience.

I'm not saying it is junk, it is what it is, a 3 thousand dollar soaking experience. But to think it is as good as a 9 thousand dollar soaking experience is not accurate for anyone but you.

Good luck, your gona need it.

Sounds to me like your genarlizing 1 or 2 particular dealers into the all are bad catagory, that's not fair.

There are many many hundreds of dealers that don't overcharge for what you get. Apperently you didn't have any close to you? That's to bad because I know hundreds and hundreds of people who had great dealer experiences.

So 3 grand for 3 years, 6 grand for 6 years 9 grand for 9 years seems thats about a grand a year, right? For 9 grand I could of got you a tub that would last for 15-20 years and use less than half the power. Seems like not a good value to me but hey, we all figure our own value and if you couldn't afford 9 grand then I am glad your in a tub. Just don't assume all tubs only last 3 years and have problems throughout there life, please.

If you wet tested a bunch that didn't feel as good as your current tub then you didn't wet test a very good brand that had real jets. Because i've had several tubs hooked up for me to use just like the one you own and while it had good water flow considering the morphidite plumbing configuration it had a crappy feel compared to all the high quality tubs with top notch jets that I have had hooked up and tested, or soaked in at sometime during my 30+ year soaking experience.

I'm not saying it is junk, it is what it is, a 3 thousand dollar soaking experience. But to think it is as good as a 9 thousand dollar soaking experience is not accurate for anyone but you.

So where does your math come in when the 3k spa last more then three years? then it is a great bargain compared to a spa that is 9k and might not make it 9 years perhaps.

You guys are comparing apples and bananas.

I don't know any spa dealers who either hate Costco or overcharge.

I do know that Costco sells cheap spas for low prices.

Dealers sell many models at many price points. Dealers sell far more spas than all the mass merchandisers and internet sites.

What you buy at Costco is a $3000 spa that the manufacturer could not get a dealer to carry. Given Costco margins vs. any specialty retailer margins, what you really saved is about $500.00.

Roger, You sound like a jacuzzi snob. You're trying to tell me that since I am not breaking the bank on a "high end" tub that I won't have an enjoyable soaking experience? BS! I've been in a lot of hot tubs and the quality of our tub and its jets are great. How can you tell me it isn't? Have you been in my tub? You don't need to be a "30 year soaker" to know if a tub is providing a good soaking experience, one just needs to use their senses. My aching muscles and joints feel 100% better after letting the hard, steady jets massage them for 15-20 minutes. I also get a pretty good night's sleep after a good soak, too. Are you going to tell me I'd sleep even better in a high end tub?

What you're doing is the equivalent to telling a satisfied, new car owner that what they just bought is crap and is going to break down on them. Yeah, you may enjoy driving it now but it's going to start breaking down soon and you'll wish you bought a more high end car. That's pretty rude, and I'd never do that to someone.

Just let me, and other people, enjoy their tubs. What do you care if our tub(s) break down in a few years? If that happens, I'll just return it to Costco and get my money back, which is not an option with a "high end" dealer who overcharges for their tubs and their parts/supplies.

You guys are comparing apples and bananas.

I don't know any spa dealers who either hate Costco or overcharge.

I do know that Costco sells cheap spas for low prices.

Dealers sell many models at many price points. Dealers sell far more spas than all the mass merchandisers and internet sites.

What you buy at Costco is a $3000 spa that the manufacturer could not get a dealer to carry. Given Costco margins vs. any specialty retailer margins, what you really saved is about $500.00.

I did a lot of price shopping and research before we bought our tub. Our local options for spa dealers, which are limited, were all charging too much for their tubs and their supplies. The salesmen shuddered when we uttered the word "Costco tubs" though there was no sign of hate nor did they speak poorly about them. I have read posts from other hot tub dealers on this site to reach that analysis of them "hating" Costco.

The model we bought from Costco was on sale at $3000 (normally priced at $3500) and the same model on the Infinity website was posted at $5900. Models at our local dealers with half as many jets and less capacity were selling for $6K and up. I'm no mathematician but that's more than $500.

Bottom line is we could not afford to spend more than $4K on our first tub and took comfort in the return policy of Costco and their customer service. It was either $3K or no tub at all.

The most important thing is that we're happy and if we run into trouble, we'll just have Costco come pick it up and refund our money (as they've said in writing.)

Your the one who started this by slamming the dealers and assuming that they are overcharging. Are they overcharging or are they selling a better product? Or is there no such thing as a better product in your mind? A car is a car right? So a tub is a tub there is no difference so dealers must be overcharging. Okey-dokey.

FYI I don't care for Jacuzzi

Your the one who started this by slamming the dealers and assuming that they are overcharging. Are they overcharging or are they selling a better product? Or is there no such thing as a better product in your mind? A car is a car right? So a tub is a tub there is no difference so dealers must be overcharging. Okey-dokey.

They are overcharging and undoubtedly some are selling a better product. I never questioned that. I just don't care for someone telling me I'm having an inferior "soaking experience" when I'm perfectly content with what I can afford. Someone who had to ride the bus or walk to work every day is going to appreciate their first car, regardless of how upscale it is. That's where I am and thanks to Costco's affordable prices, return policy and good customer service we were able to get a tub in the first place. I know it may not be the BMW 7 series of the hot tub world, but it's working just fine for us and will be backed by Costco, even though Infinity is MIA now.

Our local dealers only offer Hot Springs, Sundance, Coleman and Artesian...that's it. And their entry level spa prices (2-4 person tubs) were nearly double what we paid for our 4-6 person tub. They also didn't feature the jet complement we liked, either. Vendors for any other brand are at least 3 hours away...and the delay we'd encounter when needing a service call would be unacceptable.

We're happy with what we got and we'll just leave it at that.

Happy soaking, Roger!

They are overcharging and undoubtedly some are selling a better product. I never questioned that. I just don't care for someone telling me I'm having an inferior "soaking experience" when I'm perfectly content with what I can afford. Someone who had to ride the bus or walk to work every day is going to appreciate their first car, regardless of how upscale it is. That's where I am and thanks to Costco's affordable prices, return policy and good customer service we were able to get a tub in the first place. I know it may not be the BMW 7 series of the hot tub world, but it's working just fine for us and will be backed by Costco, even though Infinity is MIA now.

Our local dealers only offer Hot Springs, Sundance, Coleman and Artesian...that's it. And their entry level spa prices (2-4 person tubs) were nearly double what we paid for our 4-6 person tub. They also didn't feature the jet complement we liked, either. Vendors for any other brand are at least 3 hours away...and the delay we'd encounter when needing a service call would be unacceptable.

Happy soaking, Roger!

I'm happy you are enjoying your tub. I am curious why you paint with such a broad brush. Based on 4 dealers you seem to have concluded that all dealers overcharge.

I am right with you when you ask Roger not to put down your experience. On the other hand, please do not slam my business, and the small businesses of dedicated professionals throughout the country and even the world.

Thanks!

Happy soaking, Roger!

Thanks for the wishes of happy soaking, problem is I won't be soaking for a while. I have a 6 year old Keys Backyard in my garage and also a 11 year old Coleman but I don't think either one will make it through the refurb. I recieved them both for nothing so I am out nothing but I'm not sure either is worth the reburb investment. I see allot of Infinity like tubs. May end up sawing them both up. Haven't had enough time to do a proper evaluation. I am sure the owners of them were very happy just like you when they purchased. But I can tell you they both had very different experiences down the road. In the mean time I have nothing hooked up except the sauna and that's soaking but in sweat.

Happy soaking, Roger!

Hmmm... The Sundance here offers tubs starting at $2999... Anyway glad your happy and that you have a tub