Infinity Spa

Markee

As I told him, we did not receive the 5.5 kw heater that was advertised when we purchased the tub (we have a 4.0kw heater) and that there was not the 2 inch foam insulation on the shell of the tub as advertised. We are looking for them to upgrade our heater and insulation (though I have been advised not to srpay them spray on foam).

The difference between the 4.0 and 5.5 heater shouldn't be that big of a deal though I understand that its what they advertised so its what should be in there. If you can get the swap or some compromise reimbursement great but I'd be much more concerned with getting that insulation back to at least something decent because that's one of the bigestg drawback on these spas.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Spatech:

What would you recommend us to do for insulation? Yesterday we reached a balmy 39 degrees during the day and about 25 degrees at night. These temps are about 10 degrees higher than our winters on average. yesterday our tub went down to 86 degrees. After running it for 3 hours( switched it to standard mode for 1 hour), it only got back up to 97 degrees. We have our temp set at 101 and on the economy mode normally, filtering for 2 hours, twice a day.

First of all, we would hope the larger heater would speed up the heating process some and that adding insulation would protect the water from going down as much. What advice would you have for us?

As I told him, we did not receive the 5.5 kw heater that was advertised when we purchased the tub (we have a 4.0kw heater) and that there was not the 2 inch foam insulation on the shell of the tub as advertised. We are looking for them to upgrade our heater and insulation (though I have been advised not to srpay them spray on foam).

The difference between the 4.0 and 5.5 heater shouldn't be that big of a deal though I understand that its what they advertised so its what should be in there. If you can get the swap or some compromise reimbursement great but I'd be much more concerned with getting that insulation back to at least something decent because that's one of the bigestg drawback on these spas.

HI Spatech:

What would you recommend us to do for insulation?

Spatech asked me to forward this information to you:

One of the most effective, as well as humane, methods of adding insulation to spas that are lacking is to simply allow homeless people to live in your spa cabinet during the colder winter months. It will drastically lower your energy bill as well as provide a warm, safe refuge for people in need during these uncertain economic times. The R value greatly increases in correlation to the body fat percentages of the insulators being used. Also, the body heat and methane gases generated by the insulator will actually remove some of the burden from your heater, thereby making the spa even more efficient. You can run your spa during the winter for the cost of one Happy Meal/day. It's a WIN-WIN situation for all involved. Good luck!"

insulation.jpg

Looks like Costco has stepped up to the plate regarding the Infinity Warranties. I received a phone call from Hot Tub Services, which I believe is our of Connecticut, last night. They informed me that they are meeting with the President of Costco this week to hammer out a contract in which they will take over the warranty service for Infinity.

He did not have specific details yet, but did ask us what issues we were having with the Infinity Sunpeak. As I told him, we did not receive the 5.5 kw heater that was advertised when we purchased the tub (we have a 4.0kw heater) and that there was not the 2 inch foam insulation on the shell of the tub as advertised. We are looking for them to upgrade our heater and insulation (though I have been advised not to srpay them spray on foam).

He indicated that they will get back to us within 2 weeks to make an appointment to service our tub.

Since future warranty issues are being contracted directly by Costco with this company, I would expect service to be much more timely going forward. If this works out, it could be a definite plus to all Finfinity owners

Companys like Costco and all the other big box stores are doing the same thing. They are going out and negotiating with companys and demanding there own pricing structure and promising great big orders. What this does is create manufacturers that after the deal is done, there stratagy is to produce very very low quality, cut every corner possible and produce a product that meets the exact spec of the big box store. Very inexpensive and produced to match. Follow that with no hands on customer service and very very shoddy warranty and the manufacturer becomes the controller of the contract with the box store instead of vice versa as the box store thought. Bingo, piles of profit for the manufacture and poof there gone. It's a way to pile a bunch of money into the owners of a so so manufacturer before they retire.

It will happen more and more. If you manufacture kitchen utinzels and hair brushes you can survive through cheap manufacturing and bulk sale to the box store. But not hot tubs, they require babysitting after the sale.

Yeah, now Thermospas service techs, with their 2 weeks of training will be servicing the spas. They can't fix their own, let alone another companies!

HI Spatech:

What would you recommend us to do for insulation? Yesterday we reached a balmy 39 degrees during the day and about 25 degrees at night. These temps are about 10 degrees higher than our winters on average. yesterday our tub went down to 86 degrees. After running it for 3 hours( switched it to standard mode for 1 hour), it only got back up to 97 degrees. We have our temp set at 101 and on the economy mode normally, filtering for 2 hours, twice a day.

First of all, we would hope the larger heater would speed up the heating process some and that adding insulation would protect the water from going down as much. What advice would you have for us?

If you put a 5.5 KW heater into a system that is made for a 4 KW heater, over time the heater relay will cook up (seen it time and time again with Gecko, underspec heater relays)

Just thought I'd share with others that I was one of many ripped off by a scam to sell Infinity spas (also advertised as Dreamwater spas). Several ads are running on craigslist for hot tubs sold at cost to liquidate. The charge goes through but the hot tub never shows up. A live person (who goes by Kevin) answers the phone at speedySPAdelivery but nothing ever comes of it. He assures that inventory is there because Home Depot and Cosco haven't been moving tubs... never says anything about bankrupcy.

After reaching the forever closed office of Infinity (I didn't know they had gone belly up-they probably hadn't just yet) I started shopping around again and found out their financial situation. One of the spas I found another good deal on was a Golf Coast spa. That sales rep said Tatum had bought out Infinity... interesting what I just read here. I decided to call Tatum direclty (now Living Water, a religous reference... the dealer was Shadrack, Meshack, and Abendigo) only to get an answering machine for Sales!

My advice would be to run away fast and don't look back. I'm so glad I did my research on this hot tub manufacturer. I'm also looking at Four Winds spas... any surprises I should know about them? We hot tub lovers gotta stick together.

Just thought I'd share with others that I was one of many ripped off by a scam to sell Infinity spas (also advertised as Dreamwater spas). Several ads are running on craigslist for hot tubs sold at cost to liquidate. The charge goes through but the hot tub never shows up. A live person (who goes by Kevin) answers the phone at speedySPAdelivery but nothing ever comes of it. He assures that inventory is there because Home Depot and Cosco haven't been moving tubs... never says anything about bankrupcy.

After reaching the forever closed office of Infinity (I didn't know they had gone belly up-they probably hadn't just yet) I started shopping around again and found out their financial situation. One of the spas I found another good deal on was a Golf Coast spa. That sales rep said Tatum had bought out Infinity... interesting what I just read here. I decided to call Tatum direclty (now Living Water, a religous reference... the dealer was Shadrack, Meshack, and Abendigo) only to get an answering machine for Sales!

My advice would be to run away fast and don't look back. I'm so glad I did my research on this hot tub manufacturer. I'm also looking at Four Winds spas... any surprises I should know about them? We hot tub lovers gotta stick together.

You got ripped off once buying a spa because the price seemed low yet you continue to look for a spa from a company that you don't know anything about? Why not buy a spa from a quality spa manufacturer. Over the past few years, anyone spending $8k on a spa made by a reputable spa manufacturer has made out MUCH better than those who've been blinded by price tags and blown $5k on a cheaply made spa from companies like Infinity, Keys, Gulf Coast, Tatum, Hydro Spas ... I don't know Four Wind spas but I’ve seen enough good $ blown by people who buy based on price alone that I don't trust any spa that doesn't come from a company that has proven itself. IMO, if you can’t afford a well made spa either buy a well made used spa or save up so that later you can buy new from a reputable spa maker.

I think most people would love to spend $8,000 on a better spa if they could. The problem though is many of us just don't have that kind of money. I know for us to save an additional $5,000 would take at least 3-4 years. There are no guarantees in life, so I would much rather be able to enjoy a cheaper model now, than never to be able to enjoy one at all.

It's similar with cars. We purchased an Hyundai Santa Fe about 7 years ago. The rep on Hyundai's was terrible at the time and we were warned that we would have nothing but trouble. Well, 7 years later and 85,000 miles later, we have been extremely happy with our purchase. At the time we could have spent several thousand more on a more expensive SUV, but didnt have enough money.

my opinion is, if we start having major problems with the Infinity, we will take advantage of Cotco's return policy. Otherwise we will enjoy our tub, at a much less expense for now.

In the meantime, we are saving our pennies, and hopefully within 6 years, will be able to buy a better tub, such as a Hotspring.

You got ripped off once buying a spa because the price seemed low yet you continue to look for a spa from a company that you don't know anything about? Why not buy a spa from a quality spa manufacturer. Over the past few years, anyone spending $8k on a spa made by a reputable spa manufacturer has made out MUCH better than those who've been blinded by price tags and blown $5k on a cheaply made spa from companies like Infinity, Keys, Gulf Coast, Tatum, Hydro Spas ... I don't know Four Wind spas but I’ve seen enough good $ blown by people who buy based on price alone that I don't trust any spa that doesn't come from a company that has proven itself. IMO, if you can’t afford a well made spa either buy a well made used spa or save up so that later you can buy new from a reputable spa maker.

I really do understand this but the spas made by Infinity, Keys, Hydro Spas, Gulf Coast (and all the other Tatum entries) end up costing $50-75/month more to run and just don't last long enough to justify them. I'd buy a good used spa (which won't have a warranty but that just makes it even with Tatum and the others anyway) or take the $5k, put it in the bank and add the $50-75 per month extra I'd be spending on energy and wait to get a good one.

Hyundais are no longer a representative example of these spas. Hyundai makes a decent product.

I think most people would love to spend $8,000 on a better spa if they could. The problem though is many of us just don't have that kind of money. I know for us to save an additional $5,000 would take at least 3-4 years. There are no guarantees in life, so I would much rather be able to enjoy a cheaper model now, than never to be able to enjoy one at all.

It's similar with cars. We purchased an Hyundai Santa Fe about 7 years ago. The rep on Hyundai's was terrible at the time and we were warned that we would have nothing but trouble. Well, 7 years later and 85,000 miles later, we have been extremely happy with our purchase. At the time we could have spent several thousand more on a more expensive SUV, but didnt have enough money.

my opinion is, if we start having major problems with the Infinity, we will take advantage of Cotco's return policy. Otherwise we will enjoy our tub, at a much less expense for now.

In the meantime, we are saving our pennies, and hopefully within 6 years, will be able to buy a better tub, such as a Hotspring.

Hyundais are no longer a representative example of these spas. Hyundai makes a decent product.

If your looking for a vehicle that will last for 75-100 thousand miles they are perfect and there cost is representitive of that. If your going to drive the crap out of it and put 100 G's on in 3-4 years yet want it to last for 7-8 years then you better choose a better brand. I'm not saying there is no value in that but I have 90,000 on my truck and it is 4 years old. I want it to last another 4 or more. A Hyundai won't do that. My truck cost alot more but I got alot more!

I bought one of the Dreamwater Spas and we are really enjoying it. I bought the platinum and other than being a lot bigger than what i needed it is great. did you get your money back? dreamwater even sent me a welcome kit last week of some kind of chemicals but i haven't looked in the box yet. i didn't realize they were infinity but if so they are still up and going i guess. hopefully i won't have issues but will keep everyone posted.

i forgot...did look at a lot of manufacturers and four winds had a really bad rep on more than one post. found some old post from several years ago where they took peoples money and just moved away or so it said. could just be the economy causing all these people to go under. calspas seemed to have a pretty good reputation but were pricey with unnecessary extras.

If you put a 5.5 KW heater into a system that is made for a 4 KW heater, over time the heater relay will cook up (seen it time and time again with Gecko, underspec heater relays

The BALBOA VS spa packs us the same relays for both the 4.0K & 5.5K heater coils

Then the relay must be rated for 5.5 KW, its fine to go to a lower relay.

If your looking for a vehicle that will last for 75-100 thousand miles they are perfect and there cost is representitive of that. If your going to drive the crap out of it and put 100 G's on in 3-4 years yet want it to last for 7-8 years then you better choose a better brand. I'm not saying there is no value in that but I have 90,000 on my truck and it is 4 years old. I want it to last another 4 or more. A Hyundai won't do that. My truck cost alot more but I got alot more!

As spa tech said, you can not use Hyudai's anymore...better warrenty than "name" brands and there are many that have upwards of 200,000 on them, they used to be junk, but they addressed that and are much better....they did not go bankrupt, change names or so on and they also cost a lot more now than 5-7 years ago, they had to to better their quality....I love my Tiburon....but this is a tub site, not a car site.

As spa tech said, you can not use Hyudai's anymore...better warrenty than "name" brands and there are many that have upwards of 200,000 on them, they used to be junk, but they addressed that and are much better....they did not go bankrupt, change names or so on and they also cost a lot more now than 5-7 years ago, they had to to better their quality....I love my Tiburon....but this is a tub site, not a car site.

Hyundai isn't junk, but Roger is right. Hyundai's "average lifespan" will still not outlast Toyota or Honda, and especially not the Lexus / Acura side. I've driven them / known people with them... and they aren't bad... but my Toyota product with twice the miles still drives better with less issues.

re. costco sucks, just buy a high-end tub.

Theoretically is it not possible to reduce the sales margin and still sell a good tub through a big box store? If one could buy a hot springs, caldera, or sundance from costco with out a wet test and save 20?, 30?, 40% would it still be inadvisable? While I don't claim to have this all figure out, I feel uncomfortable with the sales people at the quality tub stores as well as their BBB reports. It's reminding me of buying a car. I find myself gravitating to beachcomber or la spas because the lady does not talk bs the entire time I'm in her store, but reviews on this site have me conflicted.

re. costco sucks, just buy a high-end tub.

Theoretically is it not possible to reduce the sales margin and still sell a good tub through a big box store? If one could buy a hot springs, caldera, or sundance from costco with out a wet test and save 20?, 30?, 40% would it still be inadvisable? While I don't claim to have this all figure out, I feel uncomfortable with the sales people at the quality tub stores as well as their BBB reports. It's reminding me of buying a car. I find myself gravitating to beachcomber or la spas because the lady does not talk bs the entire time I'm in her store, but reviews on this site have me conflicted.

Along with buying a quality tub, you need a good dealer to back it up. Over and Over i have said this. We have many competitors in the area, Sundance dealer...out of buisness end of month...hydropool dealer out of buisness end of month, Arteisien dealer...done 2 months ago.... jacuzzi dealer.....not long for this world. The Saratoga dealer and i are doing well. Its not the tub quality, these are great tubs, but it was the dealers customer service, or lack of, that did them in. I am now getting their customers and this comes from their mouths.

I have seen no seriously bad stuff about Beachcomber. If they have the tub you like/want and you are comfortable with the dealer and their service record, look at them. Its different than a box store tub with no back up, no longevity in the spa world ect.

As for my Hyundai, I have a great dealer and service department, I may not get the same miles as a Toyata, but i will get more than suffcient for the money I paid. For the vehicle we use that gets the milage that Roger is talking about....buy a diesel. We got a diesel Dodge for our service rig and yes.....we paid out the nose for it, but I bet it outlasts the toyota :D

"I have seen no seriously bad stuff about Beachcomber. If they have the tub you like/want and you are comfortable with the dealer and their service record, look at them. Its different than a box store tub with no back up, no longevity in the spa world ect."

Thanks for the response. I know what you are saying. I guess it boils down to finding a dealer more so than a specific manufacturer. I noticed you left LA Spas off your reply. Is there a post that has eluded me that has a list of ratings by a respected member/spa tech? Thanks again.

"I have seen no seriously bad stuff about Beachcomber. If they have the tub you like/want and you are comfortable with the dealer and their service record, look at them. Its different than a box store tub with no back up, no longevity in the spa world ect."

Thanks for the response. I know what you are saying. I guess it boils down to finding a dealer more so than a specific manufacturer. I noticed you left LA Spas off your reply. Is there a post that has eluded me that has a list of ratings by a respected member/spa tech? Thanks again.

Every one may have what they feel is a list of favorites or "best in class" And it it amazing that everyone, even experience techs, store owners, dealers and those with the most experience in this indusrty have a slightly different list. Dimension One, Artesian, Arctic, Sundance, Jaccuzzi in that order are my favorite top five. But that can change based on changes in the industry as some manufacturers add innovation and style or function. To be honest it is difficult to keep up and see and touch every quality manufaturers tub every year. So my list is only one thing....MY LIST

I thought this was about spas. If you want to compare manufacturing of spas to automobiles, I dont think you can. Having worked in the automotive industry for 25 years, I would not use a name brand of a car as an example of GOOD or BAD..

Most manufacturers of cars have had good and bad cars. I have seen people who would concider nothing but one brand even though they may be buying a lower quality for more money. And Just because it has a name on it, does not mean that is who made it. Mazda builds Fords and visa versa. Mitsubishi builds for Chrysler. etc.

Ford and GM use parts built by Chrysler. GM has engines built in Korea just like the Hyundia.

We bought a Hyundia and have had better luck with it than friends have had with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Ford and others.

I have a 1990 Chev truck with a V-8 that gets better mileage than a new Toyota PU.

Lets stick to spa information.. Compairing to the mess created with peoples views on cars just creates confusion.

PS. After owning one Ford... NEVER AGAIN! Had for 3 years, managed to put 5k miles on it when it was not broke down, sold with 60,000 miles on it for $200.. and ran. But some people will own nothing but Ford...

I thought this was about spas. If you want to compare manufacturing of spas to automobiles, I dont think you can. Having worked in the automotive industry for 25 years, I would not use a name brand of a car as an example of GOOD or BAD..

Most manufacturers of cars have had good and bad cars. I have seen people who would concider nothing but one brand even though they may be buying a lower quality for more money. And Just because it has a name on it, does not mean that is who made it. Mazda builds Fords and visa versa. Mitsubishi builds for Chrysler. etc.

Ford and GM use parts built by Chrysler. GM has engines built in Korea just like the Hyundia.

We bought a Hyundia and have had better luck with it than friends have had with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Ford and others.

I have a 1990 Chev truck with a V-8 that gets better mileage than a new Toyota PU.

Lets stick to spa information.. Compairing to the mess created with peoples views on cars just creates confusion.

PS. After owning one Ford... NEVER AGAIN! Had for 3 years, managed to put 5k miles on it when it was not broke down, sold with 60,000 miles on it for $200.. and ran. But some people will own nothing but Ford...

Yea....lets stick to spas....ooops you screwed up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This is an E-MAIL I got today 11-10-08 Monday from Dave Hatley, owner of Infinity Spa's

I can't even write checks, bank took over I'll be filing Chapter 7 soon.

You should blame and go after Costco, nothing I can do, I'm sorry

Dave Hatley

Lets see Dave, You made crappy, low quality, sub standard tubs and we should blame Costco

for that. Costco pays their bills on time and you have NEVER done that with any of your repair people and im suppose to blame Costco cause you don't.