Mps Shock Vs. Chlorine...the Debate Goes On

roromissd

Well, there's been a lot of debate here on the "LaZboy edition" thread about whether to use MPS shock daily in conjunction with ozonator and silver ion cartridge and then dichlor once a week, or use dichlor daily with each use, and shock with MPS once a week.

Well, my dealer has told me to treat with 2 1/2 tsp. or dichlor once a week. And use 5 tsp. of MPS shock after each use.

Now, at start up, we used all the chemicals in the recipe they gave us, according to our local water table makeup. And then about mid week, I got my test strips and found that there was no free chlorine, so I added the amount needed and voila! Perfect! But then I was thinking later that they told me only to add chlorine once a week. So, I called their hotline and they told me indeed only once a week.

You wanna hear something even more confusing? Try reading the handbook that came with the hot tub! It tells about keeping appropriate amounts of chlorine levels as well as shock. So, do I go by what the dealer says, what the handbook says, or what I read here? I'm thoroughly confused!

All of that aside, I like not having strong chlorine(or as I'm reading is actually chloramine) odors in my tub. Chlorine irritates me and my husband's skin. We don't have any irritation with the current regimen we use. Our water is crystal clear, but I can't measure whether there's bacteria growing in there.

So, what now?

Anne

The much more effective method IMO is to use a simple chlorine method of adding 1 generous tsp/person after each use and shocking once per week (with MPS or chlorine). The great thing about this is the chlorine will sanitize after you exit but dissipate very quickly. If you go out the next day you'll read little to none of the chlorine you added after you exited the night before so you won't have to deal with a heavy chlorine smell.

The MPS/use method sounds great and but IMO it plays into peoples unwarranted fears of chlorine. I've seen it be ineffective far too often and you then end up having to chase your tail with chlorine after having cloudiness rather than just adding the chlorine after use in the first place (and I've seen worse than just cloudiness with a few people trying MPS only).

For light users with a good ozonator an MPS only routine may work decently but even that is not a great idea and is inferior to a simple chlorine after use method (IMO of course).

I knew Spatech would be the first to chime in :P

And just to clarify one thing, it's not an MPS ONLY recipe.

Dichlor is added once a week to sanitize.

I'm in the same boat, roro. My chlorine level drops to zero by mid-week,

but my water stays clear as can be.

I knew Spatech would be the first to chime in :P

And just to clarify one thing, it's not an MPS ONLY recipe.

Dichlor is added once a week to sanitize.

I'm in the same boat, roro. My chlorine level drops to zero by mid-week,

but my water stays clear as can be.

As you noted you shock with chlorine once per week but it dissipates very quickly so about a day after you shock it you're chlorine free for the next 6 days by that method which is why I called it an MPS only method though I really should have called it an MPS/use method.

If you try the MPS/use method with a good ozonator (and you’re a light user) maybe it’ll work fairly well but be ready to use chlorine the moment its starts to get cloudy.

A know a lot of spa professionals and almost all of them use a simple chlorine method for the spa they have in their own home. To me it’s like eating where the truckers eat.

Depending on spa use (how often, how clean, swimsuits or not ect. ect.) the low chlorine recipe has worked fine for what I have seen. if the spa is used nightly, with suits, people with lotion ect. ect it will not hold up well and chlorine will be needed. Follow the recipe in the Nature 2 booklet, it says chlorine as needed which means if it is at 0, it is needed, if it is cloudy it is needed. They suggest keeping a 0.5 risidual which is very low. If you are uncomfortable with the low chlorine recipe, use it with chlorine daily and shock weekly with MPS, just watch your CYA level.

The biggest thing is to enjoy your spa safely, Call nature 2 if you feel uncomfortable and see which method they really suggest. Either way they are still selling you a nature 2 so they should not be biased. Good luck and enjoy the spa

I have another reason for dichlor after use. Dichlor 21 bucks for 6 lbs lasts a year or better, good clean bacteria free water gaurentee. MPS 21 dollars for1 LB last a couple months good clean water maybe.

I agree. If not for the cost, then for the amount of product you're adding to the water. Five teaspoons of anything after every use is a lot to add.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I just wanted to give roro a fighting chance against

you jackals by restating that he uses dichlor once a week.

About 2 days ago I actually decided to try the .5-1 tsp. of dichlor after soaking method

and still use my N2. I'll stick with it until my next drain in 4 weeks.

I feel like I need to try every method, just to see for myself.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I just wanted to give roro a fighting chance against

you jackals by restating that he uses dichlor once a week.

About 2 days ago I actually decided to try the .5-1 tsp. of dichlor after soaking method

and still use my N2. I'll stick with it until my next drain in 4 weeks.

I feel like I need to try every method, just to see for myself.

Jackels? LOL, I thought we were all giving advice/experiences here to help people.

The only problem with instructions that suggest keeping a 0.5 ppm level of chlorine is you just can't do it unless you have a chlorine generator. Chlorine dissipates very quickly in hot water so you add to get it to the level you want and later that day or the next day it is gone. You end up having to add daily and at that point you give up. That is why long ago I switched over to simply having people add the chlorine after each use and told them that its futile to try to keep a constant level on the test strip. Try it, you'll see. You’ll pull your hair out trying to keep a constant ppm level.

Haha! You guys are fun! And I'm not a "he", I am a "she", but no biggie! :D

I brought this up out of curiosity as well as a little concern about the plausibility of proper sanitization with heavy use w/o much chlorine. My husband and I use the tub each night for about an hour to an hour and a 1/2. We shower before we get in and there are no suits. Our kids have to shower before they get in as well and all our suits are just rinsed rather than washed with soap when used. This was the advice from our dealer.

Now, we shall see this first 3 or 4 months how it all goes. If I don't like the results, we will switch to dichlor after each use and shock with MPS once a week.

But I do appreciate all your input. This is how we all help each other out. :rolleyes:

Jackals, eh? Hehe.

Oh! Also, my hubbie just discovered the appearance of a raised rash on his lower back after we used the tub this evening? Could this be from chemicals, bacteria/fungus? He's using hydrocortisone on it to make it go away, but we need to get to the bottom of the cause.

Anne

Haha! You guys are fun! And I'm not a "he", I am a "she", but no biggie! :D

I brought this up out of curiosity as well as a little concern about the plausibility of proper sanitization with heavy use w/o much chlorine. My husband and I use the tub each night for about an hour to an hour and a 1/2. We shower before we get in and there are no suits. Our kids have to shower before they get in as well and all our suits are just rinsed rather than washed with soap when used. This was the advice from our dealer.

Now, we shall see this first 3 or 4 months how it all goes. If I don't like the results, we will switch to dichlor after each use and shock with MPS once a week.

But I do appreciate all your input. This is how we all help each other out. :rolleyes:

Jackals, eh? Hehe.

Oh! Also, my hubbie just discovered the appearance of a raised rash on his lower back after we used the tub this evening? Could this be from chemicals, bacteria/fungus? He's using hydrocortisone on it to make it go away, but we need to get to the bottom of the cause.

Anne

MPS used to make me break out a bit if I used to much of it. Drinking loads of water and only shocking with it made that go away. I shocked with 2 ozs. MPS and a TBLS of chlorine. This rash was diognosed as Ezyma by my doctor. The only way to know for sure if your hubbys rash is from the tub and what it is is to see a doc. We don't have any docs here.

Anne

This is one reason I'm not a fan of the MPS/use method. I've seen a few people get hot tub rash from using this method. Now I'm NOT trying to sound a big alarm because chances are that's not what your husband has but keep a close eye on that rash and see a doctor if it doesn't clear up pretty quickly.

http://www.medopedia.com/treatment-hot-tub-rash

Anne

This is one reason I'm not a fan of the MPS/use method. I've seen a few people get hot tub rash from using this method. Now I'm NOT trying to sound a big alarm because chances are that's not what your husband has but keep a close eye on that rash and see a doctor if it doesn't clear up pretty quickly.

http://www.medopedia.com/treatment-hot-tub-rash

Thanks for that link! I did the usual weekly dichlor shock today. I have the repairman coming today to fix the lights on the tub. I'm not one to switch anything quickly. But we may be switching to chlorine daily sooner rather than later. We'll see.

Anne

As Roger stated, some people are sensitive to MPS causing another issue such as dry skin or exema to act up. The "Hot Tub Rash" is caused by the pseodueomis (this is spelled totallly wrong!) germ. This causes Hot tub itch, and needs special attention. Some people are also sensitive to hot water hitting them in one spot, thus causeing areas of irritation where the jets hit. The real rash is usually more than just where a jet hits.

As said, see how it goes and if it does not go away or gets worse, see a doctor. Good luck.