Arctic Spas Yukon Model

JimmySmash

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to spa buying. I've done quite a bit of research, and have settled on purchasing an Arctic spa. A few things have guided me in my search:

• Reputable Company and Dealer
  • Great warranty
  • No lounge
  • Space for me, my wife and my 2 young children
  • Fits within my budget
  • Lots of unnecessary extras :)

So i settled on the Yukon Ultra edition model.

What I'm having trouble with before I pull the trigger is understanding if I have gotten a fair price. The minute i got in the door I was told that they have an "employee pricing" promotion coming up and the price he gave me is non-negotiable. Don't get me wrong, I really like the sales person, he was extremely informative and clearly knew his product. I had done my research and knew of some of the problem areas in the past for arctic spas, and when I played dumb and and asked the question about the sort of problems that do come back during the warranty period, he was completely open and honest about some of the issues of the past. He even showed me how the problems were manifested, and what was done by Arctic to resolve the issues in the 2008 models. I even told him of some of the other manufacturers I was looking at, and rather than try to bash the other companies, he choose to focus on what makes arctic different then them, and let me decide. This was a completely different experience than what I went through with other dealers for other manufacturers. Bottom line, I like the guy and the dealership, and that goes along way with me. That said, historically i'm quite bad at judging these things, and I'm terrible at negotiation. I sorta feel like the "employee pricing" bit was a sales tactic, and I'm not sure if I'm anywhere near his bottom line.

Here's the quote:

Yukon Tub (12,400 list) - 10,278

Micro ban Color (225 list) - Included

50amp GFI w/subpanel (300 list) - Included

5" Castcode Cover Upgrade (295 list) - Included

Covermate (cover remover) (275 list) - Included

36" Deluxe Cedar Step (225 list) - Included

Forever Floor (499 list) - Included

Northern Lights (499 list) - Included

TEFEL Heater (295 list) - Included

Chem starter kit (75 list) - included

Delivery & Setup (350 list) - included

$2800 worth of accessories included for a price of $10,278 (Canadian)

I should mention i live in Ottawa, Canada and there is only 1 arctic dealer here. There is another in a neighboring town, but the store is owned by the same company.

What do people think? does this sound like a good deal? I just don't want to find out later I was screwed, and could have gotten a better deal. I'm wondering if there is room for negotiation on this price. I've see other people post there deals on this site, and my seems high, but I can't tell if that is the difference in pricing in Canada vs US. Things definitely seem to cost less in the US, but in this instance, Arctic is a Canadian company, so there is no additional costs for "importing" the product into Canada because they are already here. The other problem that I have is it is outside of my originally defined price range for a tub, and if I can get it closer to my original mark it will feel like more of a success for me and my wife.

Looking forward to hearing from the community here

Thanks,

Jamie

I paid 9K for an Arctic Frontier almost 3 years ago and it came with all sorts of bells and whistles some of which I never use. Be that as it may, I feel I got a fair deal for a super quality product. You get what you pay for.

Update...I went back today and dealt with the owner. Pulled the trigger at 10K even tax included.

Ultimately, I feel I got a pretty good deal, and I decided this was the tub I wanted. I may regret that, but only time will tell.

Jimmysmash,

For what it's worth I got my Arctic Glacier Signature with Onzen just over 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. Replaced a 9 year old Apollo hot tub.

Got it from the local Apollo dealer who now sells both Apollo and Glacier hot tubs.

You will not regret the purchasing the Yukon Ultra one bit.

My wife now says the old tub was a buck of water and this tub is a spa tub.

Chuck

• 1 month later...
Update...I went back today and dealt with the owner. Pulled the trigger at 10K even tax included.

Ultimately, I feel I got a pretty good deal, and I decided this was the tub I wanted. I may regret that, but only time will tell.

I also bought a Yukon this weekend in Seattle, WA, USA. Your $10,000 Canadian converts to roughly $9,544USD. I got the Yukon Signature Natural Cedar for $8,550USD. Standard delivery/setup was included as with yours, but I also had to pay $450USD for delivery by boom truck (crane) because my yard is inaccessible otherwise bringtotal to $9,000US delivered by crane. With 9% sales tax, I paid $9,793US out the door. Anyway, the upgrade to the Ultra would have been $550USD more which was not worth it for me personally since the only difference between the signature and ultra series is the 14 therapy air jets you get with the ultra. The sales guy demostrated that you cannot feel those jets and their only purpose is visual and to deliver oil aroma. My other options (all included in the deal) were...

Deluxe Northern Lights ($800US List)

Arctic Ozone ($700US List)

AquaTremor MP3 Ready Tunes ($1,200US List)

Castcore Cover ($400US List)

Cover Lift Kit ($260US List)

Forever Floor ($500US List)

Microban Moonscape Color ($250US List)

Starter Chemicals ($150US List)

Tru-Guard Heater ($300US List)

Delivery & Setup ($250US List)

So according to the "list prices" or the "options" I had aout $4,800US worth of accessories included. In reality, I believe that most of those are really standard and probably are just used as sales tools to inflate value so that when they are "thrown in" you feel better about paying the higher cost for the tub. For example, If I didn't want the forever floor, would they really pull it off or not install it before shipping? That would be impossible because the pumps and electrical units sit on that. Same thing with the cover, heater and ozone. The warranty is actually void without use of the cover. I can see paying extra for the light show and aqua tunes, but that's about it.

As for the manufacturer and sales guy, I had an experience similar to yours. I had previously owned a cheaper tub for 7 years which had no bottom and poorly constructed cabinet. The result was for mice/rats to inhabit the ideal environment inside my spa and chew away much of the insulation. At one point, they actually chewed through the wiring and shorted out the tub which needed all electronics replaced under warrant. I recently sold that tub on craigslist when the seals started going bad. After spending time researching the Arctic tubs. I am confident the same thing won't happen because they are much better made and have the solid floor.

The sales guy was very friendly and patient. He actually stayed a couple hours after the shop closed to demostrate the various models and answer my questions without rushing me or diverting attention to other customers. I went home and did more research before coming back the next day with another hours' worth of questions. Much like you, I suspected that I was not getting a super deal (although the sales guy kept indicated he would be scolded by his boss for selling at such a low price) but I felt he was fair with me and I got a deal I felt good about. In the end, it is very difficult in the vacuum of information from the manufacturer or any published pricing to know for sure what kind of deal you are getting.

Looks like I paid roughly $10,260 canadian out the door. If I take off the $450US cost of crane delivery, add $550US cost of upgrade to ultra model and change my options to same as yours (assuming I would have gotten reduced sales price by leaving off extra options in my package), my total after 9% sales tax would have been around $7,984US or roughly $8,365 Canadian. But who knows what those options are really worth so sounds like we end up pretty close in the end.

Shaun

I also bought a Yukon this weekend in Seattle, WA, USA. Your $10,000 Canadian converts to roughly $9,544USD. I got the Yukon Signature Natural Cedar for $8,550USD. Standard delivery/setup was included as with yours, but I also had to pay $450USD for delivery by boom truck (crane) because my yard is inaccessible otherwise bringtotal to $9,000US delivered by crane. With 9% sales tax, I paid $9,793US out the door. Anyway, the upgrade to the Ultra would have been $550USD more which was not worth it for me personally since the only difference between the signature and ultra series is the 14 therapy air jets you get with the ultra. The sales guy demostrated that you cannot feel those jets and their only purpose is visual and to deliver oil aroma. My other options (all included in the deal) were...

Deluxe Northern Lights ($800US List)

Arctic Ozone ($700US List)

AquaTremor MP3 Ready Tunes ($1,200US List)

Castcore Cover ($400US List)

Cover Lift Kit ($260US List)

Forever Floor ($500US List)

Microban Moonscape Color ($250US List)

Starter Chemicals ($150US List)

Tru-Guard Heater ($300US List)

Delivery & Setup ($250US List)

So according to the "list prices" or the "options" I had aout $4,800US worth of accessories included. In reality, I believe that most of those are really standard and probably are just used as sales tools to inflate value so that when they are "thrown in" you feel better about paying the higher cost for the tub. For example, If I didn't want the forever floor, would they really pull it off or not install it before shipping? That would be impossible because the pumps and electrical units sit on that. Same thing with the cover, heater and ozone. The warranty is actually void without use of the cover. I can see paying extra for the light show and aqua tunes, but that's about it.

As for the manufacturer and sales guy, I had an experience similar to yours. I had previously owned a cheaper tub for 7 years which had no bottom and poorly constructed cabinet. The result was for mice/rats to inhabit the ideal environment inside my spa and chew away much of the insulation. At one point, they actually chewed through the wiring and shorted out the tub which needed all electronics replaced under warrant. I recently sold that tub on craigslist when the seals started going bad. After spending time researching the Arctic tubs. I am confident the same thing won't happen because they are much better made and have the solid floor.

The sales guy was very friendly and patient. He actually stayed a couple hours after the shop closed to demostrate the various models and answer my questions without rushing me or diverting attention to other customers. I went home and did more research before coming back the next day with another hours' worth of questions. Much like you, I suspected that I was not getting a super deal (although the sales guy kept indicated he would be scolded by his boss for selling at such a low price) but I felt he was fair with me and I got a deal I felt good about. In the end, it is very difficult in the vacuum of information from the manufacturer or any published pricing to know for sure what kind of deal you are getting.

Looks like I paid roughly $10,260 canadian out the door. If I take off the $450US cost of crane delivery, add $550US cost of upgrade to ultra model and change my options to same as yours (assuming I would have gotten reduced sales price by leaving off extra options in my package), my total after 9% sales tax would have been around $7,984US or roughly $8,365 Canadian. But who knows what those options are really worth so sounds like we end up pretty close in the end.

Shaun

Yeah, also I was taxed at 14% so that brings us a little closer still. Thanks for the reply.

For what it's worth (now that it's a done deal), I was at the same dealer in Ottawa last Saturday and we were given an all-in price of $11,970 from one of the most annoying salesman I have dealt with. I think this price included all the same features you mention plus a $1,700 salt system. The company has a great rep so you should not be dissapointed. Enjoy!

• 7 months later...
Sorry to bump an old thread....but I'm in the same boat in Ottawa....just wondering how you've enjoyed the Yukon so far. That one is currently #1 on my list, with the Sundance Optima a close second!

Thanks in advance!

i was looking at the klondiker legend extreme with all the usual upgrades and was quoted 15,700.00 ,i am not sure if this is a decent price or not and reading all the problems that the onzen system has ,i am not sure if i want to get one... i have read the eco smart purifification system needs no chemicals like salt, chlorine, bromine etc..

Just purchased a klondiker legend with eco smarte. came with deluxe northern lights, 3 sets of steps all around, cover lifter, air therepy, delivery, etc, for $12k including tax. very happy with the spa

that must be in u.s dollars...the eco smarte

system is not legal in canada yet..

i was looking at a hydro pool tub the salesman

said if i bought the eco smarte from the states he would install it..

sounds good to me..

For example, If I didn't want the forever floor, would they really pull it off or not install it before shipping? That would be impossible because the pumps and electrical units sit on that.

The equipment actually sits on an electrically isolated rubberwood mat. The "forever floor" is made from pressure-moulded (SMC) fiberglass. The alternative is a "pedestal floor", made from pressure-treated wood. The wood floor was an entry-level option and yes, if you really wanted one, you could order one (custom order). We used to sell a lot of them, but nobody wants them any more because the forever floor is so much nicer. And yes, the dealers is swallowing the upcharge if he bundles the forever floor into the spa price. We charge the dealers for the Forever Floor; if they give them away, that's their business.

..reading all the problems that the onzen system has, i am not sure if i want to get one...

That's ironic, Bob. People who have Onzen problems come to the forum to get help, which does kind of skew your perception, I'm sure. May I offer you some facts to to consider in making your decision?

• When Onzen was first introduced, there were problems with the electrode in 7.8% of units (922 out of 1000 were fine). After the issue was identified, an improved electrode was used in subsequent production.
  • Defective electrodes are replaced under warranty
  • Between January 1, 2008 and today, the warranty rate on Onzen has been 1.68% (983 units in 1000 experience no problem)

I can understand that these statistics won't impress you much if you're one of the people who has had trouble ("why me?!"), but the vast majority of our customers find Onzen a blessing for simple water care.

For example, If I didn't want the forever floor, would they really pull it off or not install it before shipping? That would be impossible because the pumps and electrical units sit on that.

The equipment actually sits on an electrically isolated rubberwood mat. The "forever floor" is made from pressure-moulded (SMC) fiberglass. The alternative is a "pedestal floor", made from pressure-treated wood. The wood floor was an entry-level option and yes, if you really wanted one, you could order one (custom order). We used to sell a lot of them, but nobody wants them any more because the forever floor is so much nicer. And yes, the dealers is swallowing the upcharge if he bundles the forever floor into the spa price. We charge the dealers for the Forever Floor; if they give them away, that's their business.

..reading all the problems that the onzen system has, i am not sure if i want to get one...

That's ironic, Bob. People who have Onzen problems come to the forum to get help, which does kind of skew your perception, I'm sure. May I offer you some facts to to consider in making your decision?

• When Onzen was first introduced, there were problems with the electrode in 7.8% of units (922 out of 1000 were fine). After the issue was identified, an improved electrode was used in subsequent production.
  • Defective electrodes are replaced under warranty
  • Between January 1, 2008 and today, the warranty rate on Onzen has been 1.68% (983 units in 1000 experience no problem)

I can understand that these statistics won't impress you much if you're one of the people who has had trouble ("why me?!"), but the vast majority of our customers find Onzen a blessing for simple water care.

"Defective electrodes are replaced under warranty" I've had lots of parts replaced on my Arctic Spa under warranty and it cost me over $1000.00 to date, several trips to the dealer and much aggravation. Spa still doesn't work correctly. May I offer you some facts. 78 out of every 1000 were bad. 17 out of every 1000 since January 2008 were also bad. In this day of six sigma manufacturing, what's the sigma on that?