San Juan Or Viking?

Cha

:unsure:

I am interested in a fiberglass pool and am having difficulty deciding between San Juan and Viking. While I love the looks of the Crystite finish on the Viking pools, I am concerned about fading over the years. I am also not convinced that the ceramic core serves any real purpose and am concerned about possible delamination of fiberglass from the ceramic core. On the other hand, I do not love the idea of having a white pool from an aesthetic perspective. Would appreciate any thoughts/experience anyone can share regarding the quality of Viking product versus San Juan and willingness of the manufacturer to stand behind warranty.

I am interested in a fiberglass pool and am having difficulty deciding between San Juan and Viking. While I love the looks of the Crystite finish on the Viking pools, I am concerned about fading over the years. I am also not convinced that the ceramic core serves any real purpose and am concerned about possible delamination of fiberglass from the ceramic core. On the other hand, I do not love the idea of having a white pool from an aesthetic perspective. Would appreciate any thoughts/experience anyone can share regarding the quality of Viking product versus San Juan and willingness of the manufacturer to stand behind warranty.

I own a San Juan pool and am very pleased. I researched Viking and Hawaiian pools also and felt that the construction details on the Viking pools was inferior to the other two. The white finish of the pool has not been a detriment since it looks light blue with the water in it during the day and it really shows off the color lights and fiber optics at night that I have installed!

I own a San Juan pool and am very pleased. I researched Viking and Hawaiian pools also and felt that the construction details on the Viking pools was inferior to the other two. The white finish of the pool has not been a detriment since it looks light blue with the water in it during the day and it really shows off the color lights and fiber optics at night that I have installed!

Thanks very much - encouraging news! :)

I don't think it is so much of a manufacturing decision as much as it is a contractor installation concern.

I am not real bright with fiberglass pools, since I just emptied mine and it cracked like a lobster shell. It is still shooting water after 48hrs. Contractors are everything, if it is installed wrong you are going to have problems like me and your insurance will more than likely not cover it because of so called ground water caused. Warrantees are promoted as lifetime for structual shell. Good luck, read the exclusions. Remember when they dig the hole they backfill with sand which will wick water like a sponge. If there is not drainage away from the pool for this sand to drain to, you are floating a big boat. The drainage on mine was evidently not properly done. My advice is to :blink: educate yourself about the insulation and make sure the contractor adheres to such. Now pick out the pool from either company. Warrantees are a joke, and lawyers are the only one who get a dime.

I don't think it is so much of a manufacturing decision as much as it is a contractor installation concern.

I am not real bright with fiberglass pools, since I just emptied mine and it cracked like a lobster shell. It is still shooting water after 48hrs. Contractors are everything, if it is installed wrong you are going to have problems like me and your insurance will more than likely not cover it because of so called ground water caused. Warrantees are promoted as lifetime for structual shell. Good luck, read the exclusions. Remember when they dig the hole they backfill with sand which will wick water like a sponge. If there is not drainage away from the pool for this sand to drain to, you are floating a big boat. The drainage on mine was evidently not properly done. My advice is to :blink: educate yourself about the insulation and make sure the contractor adheres to such. Now pick out the pool from either company. Warrantees are a joke, and lawyers are the only one who get a dime.

Manufacturers and contractors will tell you that a fiberglass pool cannot be completely drained without taking special precations! (In fact, ANY pool can not be comepletely drained without special procedure or you risk damage to the pool shell or, in worst case, the pool popping out of the ground because of hydrostatic pressure!). MY builder had to drain my pool at one point and had to put structural emforcement braces in place before doing so!

:huh:

Manufacturers and contractors will tell you that a fiberglass pool cannot be completely drained without taking special precations! (In fact, ANY pool can not be comepletely drained without special procedure or you risk damage to the pool shell or, in worst case, the pool popping out of the ground because of hydrostatic pressure!). MY builder had to drain my pool at one point and had to put structural emforcement braces in place before doing so!

Waterbear,

So sorry to hear about your problems- it is a little scary - makes me wonder - do I really want to put this pool in at all?

One of the references I checked on the Viking pool dealer was having terrible problems. His pool was in and out of the ground 4 times before they got it "almost" level. The sand backfill has caused two very large areas along the deep end to "belly" in and now he cannot get the time of day from the dealer/contractor who says the bellying will not cause the pool to crack. (Good luck on that) The belly is so big that it has tipped the light so it is now not aimed properly and . the pressure on the wiring broke the connection to the light in the hot tub. Another reference said this same dealer/contractor provided no instruction on aftercare and as a result she overchlorinated the pool and burned out her heater. The dealer did replace the heater but charged her for the labor. Bottom line, I've ruled the Viking dealer out because of the installation problems.

The dealer/contractor for San Juan recommends using "flowable fill" rather than sand to backfill. It apparently hardens somewhat like concrete but softer. He says it provides a better, more uniform fill than sand. My concern is that he has been in this area only 5 years. He worked for another major pool company in the New Jersey area but moved to Cape Cod and opened his own business 5 years ago. The hot tub business took off first and he has only a few pools installed on the Cape though he does also have some on Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard.

:huh:

Waterbear,

So sorry to hear about your problems- it is a little scary - makes me wonder - do I really want to put this pool in at all?

Actually was not a problem and the structual reinforcements were braces on the pool so it would not buckle when it was drained...acutually pretty commen for fiberglass pools. All pools need special precautions when draining them completely. Vinyl pools cannot be drained at all unless a special vacumn is hooked up behind the liner and even then there is a chance of liner wrinkling. Concrete pools can pop out of the ground (as can fiberglass) due to hydrostatic pressure. Actually, there really would be no reason to drain a fiberglass pool. The surface does not need acid washing every 3 years or replastering every 10 like gunite, nor does it have a liner than needs to be replaced every 5 years. In the rare event that one does need to be drained it is quite possible to do so as long as proper steps are taken to brace the pool if needed and to take into account any hydrostatic pressure under the pool.

Actually was not a problem and the structual reinforcements were braces on the pool so it would not buckle when it was drained...acutually pretty commen for fiberglass pools. All pools need special precautions when draining them completely. Vinyl pools cannot be drained at all unless a special vacumn is hooked up behind the liner and even then there is a chance of liner wrinkling. Concrete pools can pop out of the ground (as can fiberglass) due to hydrostatic pressure. Actually, there really would be no reason to drain a fiberglass pool. The surface does not need acid washing every 3 years or replastering every 10 like gunite, nor does it have a liner than needs to be replaced every 5 years. In the rare event that one does need to be drained it is quite possible to do so as long as proper steps are taken to brace the pool if needed and to take into account any hydrostatic pressure under the pool.

Thanks! You have been very helpful.

Looking back at the string of posts, I see it was "MINOR" who drained the pool and said it "cracked like lobster...."

I am still planning to go ahead with the pool. My challenge now is to figure out if the dealer is offering me a fair price and if he is as knowledgeable and honest as he seems to be.

Looking back at the string of posts, I see it was "MINOR" who drained the pool and said it "cracked like lobster...."

I am still planning to go ahead with the pool. My challenge now is to figure out if the dealer is offering me a fair price and if he is as knowledgeable and honest as he seems to be.

Now dealers and contractors are a different story altogether. My contractor, who was an authoized San Juan dealer, and who has recently been dropped by San Juan because of complaints against himand just picked up Viking (!) has not finished my pool in 1.5 years! He made the front page of our local paper today (Sunday) because of numerous complaints against him and poor workmanship. (I cholse not to be in the newspaper artice since he has very recently been trying to rectify some of the problems with my pool installation.) He was the only San Juan dealer in my area and since it is an assigned territory I had no other options if I wanted a San Juan pool! There are several lawsuits against him right now and there is going to be a hearing next Thursday in my county that will decide if he will be able to pull any new permits to install pools. There have been some compliants filed against him with the State licensing board for pool contractors. It has been a nightmare. In my case the pool was installed properly but there are problems with the plumibing and electrical and things were not done according to the contract. Eqiupment was substituted in the lighting and he had to break away part of the new deck that he poured to get access to pipes for the water features that got buried in the cement! The deck is still not repaired! I have not yet passed final inpection. Unfortunately, San Juan's only response to all the complaints about him was to drop him as a dealer. This contractor was checked out. I looked at several pools he installed and talked to prevoius customers. All seemed fine. Something happened since the time I signed the contracts since all of the other complaintents all signed contracts with him after I did. My problems with him started about 2 months after signing the contracts. I do not know what happened in his personal life to cause what seemed like a reputable builder to go so flakey but it just goes to show that there are no guarentees when getting a pool built.

Am I sorry I chose a San Juan pool...no. Did I get the pool and equipment I paid for...no. Do I think this builder can correct all the problems.....no. Do I think I am going to have to resort to legal channels to solve the problems....yes. So that is where I stand today.

Now dealers and contractors are a different story altogether. My contractor, who was an authoized San Juan dealer, and who has recently been dropped by San Juan because of complaints against himand just picked up Viking (!) has not finished my pool in 1.5 years! He made the front page of our local paper today (Sunday) because of numerous complaints against him and poor workmanship. (I cholse not to be in the newspaper artice since he has very recently been trying to rectify some of the problems with my pool installation.) He was the only San Juan dealer in my area and since it is an assigned territory I had no other options if I wanted a San Juan pool! There are several lawsuits against him right now and there is going to be a hearing next Thursday in my county that will decide if he will be able to pull any new permits to install pools. There have been some compliants filed against him with the State licensing board for pool contractors. It has been a nightmare. In my case the pool was installed properly but there are problems with the plumibing and electrical and things were not done according to the contract. Eqiupment was substituted in the lighting and he had to break away part of the new deck that he poured to get access to pipes for the water features that got buried in the cement! The deck is still not repaired! I have not yet passed final inpection. Unfortunately, San Juan's only response to all the complaints about him was to drop him as a dealer. This contractor was checked out. I looked at several pools he installed and talked to prevoius customers. All seemed fine. Something happened since the time I signed the contracts since all of the other complaintents all signed contracts with him after I did. My problems with him started about 2 months after signing the contracts. I do not know what happened in his personal life to cause what seemed like a reputable builder to go so flakey but it just goes to show that there are no guarentees when getting a pool built.

Am I sorry I chose a San Juan pool...no. Did I get the pool and equipment I paid for...no. Do I think this builder can correct all the problems.....no. Do I think I am going to have to resort to legal channels to solve the problems....yes. So that is where I stand today.

I am in a lawsuite, it is about the shell itself, a lot of money & alot of time, does not seem to be going anyware fast.

I am in a lawsuite, it is about the shell itself, a lot of money & alot of time, does not seem to be going anyware fast.

Are you in a lawsuit with San Juan or with Viking...or anothe r fiberglass pool manufacturer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a white San Juan Pool and I love it. As stated earlier it really makes the water look blue on bright sunny days. I think the white color helps the pool look clean and is a nice contrast to the concrete decking. The fiberglass is easy to keep clean also.

The most important thing you can do is pick the right installer. Interview several pool companies and make sure they can answer ALL you questions about pool installation. Make a list of questions (write them down) and ask each company the same list of questions. The pool manuafacturers have pool installation instructions on their web sites. Download and read these even though you will not be installing so you know how it should be installed. Then ask questions about install to the pool installer representative and make sure the company you are considering can answer ALL the questions. Once you have narrowed the list of installers call several references (we called eight) and ask how it went for them and how long they have had the pool. It took our installer 4 weeks start to finish to install the pool and turn it over to me. I was around for all the digging, plumbing and setting of the pool. I was also ther during the filling of the pool with water. They filled the pool with water while filling the outside of the pool with "flowable fill". The inside and outside of pool were filled at the same rate to prevent distortion of the shell. I took photos during every step of the process and asked questions. You are about to spend $30k-$60 on a pool. Take the time to make sure you get what you want.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

I have been talking to two fiberglass pool companies, and neither mentioned sand or flowable fill as a backfill, both use crushed stone (pea size). Seems to me this would offer better drainage than sand, don't know how it would compare to flowable fill. Anyone have any idea what is superior for backfill?

A few manufacturers use pea gravel to set and level their fiberglass pools. I believe it is because pea gravel is supposed to have close to 100% compaction rate. In all my years of fiberglass pool installations I have never used the pea gravel material for bacfill. I have always used sand. If you have any voids under the pool, you can wash sand into those voids. I have been involved in some jobs that flowable fill was used ( which is mostly a sand, water, and cement mixture), and I was less than impressed for a number of reasons. 1. The cost of flowable fill is often quite expensive compared to sand. 2. It is necessary to have enough water pressure on the jobsite to fill the pool up with water at the same rate the flowable fill is being pumped around the pool. 3. If you run into any problems with the level of the pool during this process it is difficult to remedy. I prefer to fill, level, and backfill the pool over a period of a few days rather than all at once to allow for some settlement of the pool shell during the process. If you have a qualified installer I'm sure that whatever backfill material he or she chooses to use will work.

Look into Trilogy pools. There fiberglass are not gelcoat , but a composite material like the new counter tops. They are also garanteed for LIFE. You can sell your house and transfer the garantee to the new owners for 100 bucks. Plus its hard as a rock. And you can get it in many shapes and colors. If you have questions feel free to e-mail me.

• 1 month later...

I have installed pools from San Juan, Aloha, Viking, Barrier Reef, American, and Leisure and I believe by far the best pool on the market is a Viking pool. Not saying all of the others are bad (some are better than others) but Viking is the only one that boxes in their coping to reinforce the pool and when you lift them with a crane their sides don't pull like squeezing a plastic cup.

• 2 weeks later...
I have installed pools from San Juan, Aloha, Viking, Barrier Reef, American, and Leisure and I believe by far the best pool on the market is a Viking pool. Not saying all of the others are bad (some are better than others) but Viking is the only one that boxes in their coping to reinforce the pool and when you lift them with a crane their sides don't pull like squeezing a plastic cup.

Viking is one of the better built pools, but their installation problems are legendary. The finest pool manufactured in the United States is, unequivocally, San Juan.

As the owner of the largest international fiberglass pool restoration company in America, my opinion is based on 17 years experience in the restoration of old pools. Although I have never manufactured or installed a fiberglass pool, I can make a factual statement about which are constructed of the finest materials and last the longest before needing my services, and which are the most poorly constructed and will need my services within just a few years.

San Juan pools are the only pools that will last 30 years before needing new gel coat. Viking, and possibly several others, will need new gel coat after 20 to 25 years.

The only way to understand the quality of a fiberglass pool is to watch it age, then compare it to other pools of the same age. San Juan is the right choice. Enjoy your new pool. -Bill Nash

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have been reading the threads in the 'San Juan Or Viking' thread, on the 'Pool and Spa Forum-online community'. I am interested in having a fiberglass pool installed in my Hollywood Florida home backyard next summer 2009.

"Waterbear" you mentioned that you are from Florida, and had a San Juan fiberglass pool installed in your florida area. You did not mention what location in Florida.

I would appreciate it if you could respond and let me know who was your San Juan fiberglass pool installer? I live in Broward county, Hollywood, Florida, and am very interested in finding a very good, and reliable, honest, pool contractor/dealer to install a San Juan fiberglass pool in my Hollywood home backyard.

I have contacted the San Juan dealer in my Broward county area, but he will not come to my home until I am more serious. Also, if he comes for an inspection, it is not free either, since he has already informed me that I have to purchase his gasoline for this inspection. Every time I call for another San Juan fiberglass pool dealer, in nearby counties, they send me back to the one who will not give me a free inspection (I really dont know what to think about having to pay for an inspection -gas). He already sounds unfriendly, and trying to get money out of me. I have mentioned this to him also, but he wont respond, so I guess, he will really stick me for more money if I want a San Juan pool installed in my area.

I have often wondered if it is necessary to go through this San Juan dealer, in order to have one of their pools installed in my back yard. Could I find another fiberglass pool installer, and have them purchase a San Juan pool from the San Juan manufacturer factory, plus install it in my backyard, or am I dedicated to have this San Juan dealer install it?

I love the San Juan fiberglass pools, and also have also researched and have interest in the Sun, and Viking pools also.

Have any ideas?

Thank you

I have a San Juan pool. The only reason why I have fading, is because I slowed the pump down (dumb idea.....first pool - learning) and left town - result?? Algae that was a real chore to take off. I had to use a chemical (don't remember the name) to get it off. It's all good now, but I actually incited this thing myself.

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles and choose a San Juan (good product) DON'T use Hippo Pools to install it. I am beyond unhappy with this hack.

bjd0316:

It is not a very good sign that the San Juan Pools dealer in your area wants to charge you for his time. If you are having those kind of problems before any money changes hands you can imagine what the end result is going to be. I would suggest that you call San Juan's office in Florida and ask to speak to their regional sales rep.. Explain your story to him/her. Tell them that you would really like to purchase a San Juan Pool next year but, if they can't provide you with a dealer that will come to your house and speak to you without charging you, you will be going to see the folks at Viking.

• 3 weeks later...

I own a San Juan Pool & I would not be able to recommend them. Last year (2007) my wife & I purchased a home in California that had a San Juan pool installed by the previous owner in 2001. In March of this year we noticed that surface cracks had begun to develop in the gel coat & we contacted San Juan Pools & requested advice. We clearly stated in our correspondence that we were not the original owners of the pool. San Juan Pools offered to fix the cracks for a $75 service call & we agreed. The service technician showed up here from Arizona & inspected the pool. He stated that he had not seen cracking this extensive before & he had not brought enough material to make the repair but stated that he would return. A short while later we received correspondence from the company that stated since we were not the original owners of the pool, San Juan Pools would not be able to make the repairs under the initial warranty but would be happy to fix the pool at our own expense which would amount to several days labor. In addition, we discovered that the original owner had not completed the required inspections on the pool & the permit had expired after only one inspection was completed. San Juan Pool in Monterey, California did the installation & we felt that it was rather odd that the contractor had not taken care of at least the inspections prior to the final. San Juan Pool in Monterey offered to assist us in working with the City to get the required inspections that we were now responsible for but failed to follow through on any of their promises. It's been a nightmare & San Juan Pool has not been part of the solution for us.

• 9 years later...