Skirting Material

I am contemplating building a new skirt for my 2001 Cal Spa Atlantic, but am unsure of materials to use. I would like to use trex, but don't know if it available in 3/8". Does anyone know of such a non-wood material or companies who make new style skirt kits?

What's wrong with wood?

Yea Cedar or Redwood are so easy to work with and a quality Cedar or Redwood will outlast the tub with proper care.

Most of my wood is rooting at the bottom, and I am not too schooled in carpently. I was told that tub surroundings are moving from wood the synthetic material and that replacement kits were available now.

I would say that if your spa is outside & it gets wet then stay away from the wood. It's only a matter of time before you will have to re do it again & cedar & red wood aint cheap! Besides like you said, you are not too schooled in carpently.

My spa skirting was trashed due to the weather & my dog both! I wanted a cheap way to re do it so I bought 2 sheets of the OSB type board with a panel look to it on the finished side. I cut it to fit & painted it. It cost me $19 dollars a sheet so it was preatty cheap too. Yes it's wood but it is very simple to cut & screw it on. It's also made for outdoor aplications like sheds & such.

Just a thought.

spa009.jpg

spa012.jpg

spa015.jpg

spa013.jpg

Most of my wood is rooting at the bottom, and I am not too schooled in carpently. I was told that tub surroundings are moving from wood the synthetic material and that replacement kits were available now.

Well, if you're not too good at construction, I really wouldn't go with a composite material. Mistakes are a lot more expensive, and it's not necessarily better anyway.

The reason your wood rotted out is probably because it was never properly finished in the first place (perhaps) or was never refinished later (more likely). A fresh coat of sealer or paint will save the day every time. You paint your house, don't you? ;)

Cedar and redwood are naturally resistant to rot, but even pine will last longer than your tub if it's taken care of.

OSB will work if you do it right. But I'd go plywood instead. We're not talking much of a price difference here.

The key is to use a really good exterior finish product. No point in going cheap on that.

I would agree to this. I just wanted to be done with this spa & this was the cheapest & best solution for me. I live in Las Vegas so there isn't much moisture to worry about. I think the OSB will be fine for my needs. I bought this spa used & the previous owner had it sitting on pea gravel in the middle of his yard. The spriklers really took there toll on the skirting. Now if it had been placed on concrete away from the spriklers then the wood might of still been good.

Whatever you decide, have fun & good luck!

All HotSpring portable spas come with brand new non-wood siding. No extra charge.

Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

B)