Hot Tub Is Not Leveled

CMF

Hello.

I had a landscaper build a frame out of 6X6s for the tub and layer the bottom with river rocks about the size of softballs. The landscaper had to dig into the side of a slope to create the platform. I noticed that the water was higher at the end furthest away from the slope after I filled it with water. The landscaper now does not want to mess with the tub for fear he will wreck it if he attempts to move it to regrade the platform and I can't find any hot tub movers in the area. The company that delivered and installed the tub does not want to do the work.

I welcome any suggestions as to how I can tackle this small problem.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

What is the weight of the tub empty. You will want to drain the tub. Talk to you spa dealer and see if it is OK to tip it on its side.

You sub base has aggregate that is way to large so you will want to remove some of this material and replace it with a navvy jack or pit run material with a maximum 1 inch aggregate size. The above materials are a blend of some sand and different gravel sizes and they compact very well.

If you can tip the tub on its side with the help of some friends, replace your subbase, level the area and compact, then flip the tub to the other side and repeat.

What is the weight of the tub empty. You will want to drain the tub. Talk to you spa dealer and see if it is OK to tip it on its side.

You sub base has aggregate that is way to large so you will want to remove some of this material and replace it with a navvy jack or pit run material with a maximum 1 inch aggregate size. The above materials are a blend of some sand and different gravel sizes and they compact very well.

If you can tip the tub on its side with the help of some friends, replace your subbase, level the area and compact, then flip the tub to the other side and repeat.

The dry weight of the spa is 760 lbs. For what it's worth, its a Down East Spa. The model name is Windsor. Tipping the spa will be difficult, not only due to its size, but because of the frame around it. I think the only option is to lift the spa straight up. Will lifting the spa by the shell lip that overhangs the siding damage it?

Charles

Tipping the spa will be difficult, not only due to its size, but because of the frame around it. I think the only option is to lift the spa straight up. Will lifting the spa by the shell lip that overhangs the siding damage it?

Charles

I've seen this method used many times and recommend it as a simple effective way to level a spa in an unlevel area except he did not use the right sized rock (not even close). I would NOT lift by the shell lip. You need to lift from the bottom. The off level issue should not be harmful to the spa as long as the filter draws water (which is why Dr Spa was trying to determine if the filter was on the deep end). If so you're fine to run as is until you figure out how to drain/lift/add the proper sized rock.

It sounds like fixing this problem will not be easy. If it is not to far out of level and water is making it the filters as Dr Spa stated you may want to leave it alone. A picture may help us offer suggestions if it is too far out of level and/or water is not making it to the filters.

Right now the only solution I have for you if the people who brought the spa will not move it is a crane company who can sling the tub from the bottom. This willl be expensive and you will have to pay again to move it back into place. You may want to offer the original movers more money. If you have not paid the landscaper yet maybe he will pay for part of the costs.

As Spatech and myself have stated you have the wrong size rock and the load of your tub may not be evenly distributed on the structural members. Remember to compact the new fill prior to moving your tub back.

It sounds like fixing this problem will not be easy. If it is not to far out of level and water is making it the filters as Dr Spa stated you may want to leave it alone. A picture may help us offer suggestions if it is too far out of level and/or water is not making it to the filters.

Right now the only solution I have for you if the people who brought the spa will not move it is a crane company who can sling the tub from the bottom. This willl be expensive and you will have to pay again to move it back into place. You may want to offer the original movers more money. If you have not paid the landscaper yet maybe he will pay for part of the costs.

As Spatech and myself have stated you have the wrong size rock and the load of your tub may not be evenly distributed on the structural members. Remember to compact the new fill prior to moving your tub back.

The filter is on the high side. But I always make sure that there is enough water to cover the filter - there is a minimum water level mark. I think I may just have to live with it - but it annoys the heck out of me. The water on the deep end is about 3 to 40 inches higher than in the shallow end. I never like to ask why but: How can professionals do such a sloppy job?

Charles

If the hot tub is out 4" in 96" this is 0.5" per foot which would have been noticeable to your landscape contractor. It is sloppy work as you have stated. At least the water covers the filter and soaking will relieve the stress associated with thinking about the landscaper.

I would talk to your landscaper. If you have written instructions to him requesting a level pad you may be able to go through small claims court to get the costs to remedy the situation.

If not I would not worry about it and just enjoy your spa.

Hello.

I had a landscaper build a frame out of 6X6s for the tub and layer the bottom with river rocks about the size of softballs. The landscaper had to dig into the side of a slope to create the platform. I noticed that the water was higher at the end furthest away from the slope after I filled it with water. The landscaper now does not want to mess with the tub for fear he will wreck it if he attempts to move it to regrade the platform and I can't find any hot tub movers in the area. The company that delivered and installed the tub does not want to do the work.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Get 3 nylon eye to eye straps long enough to go completely under your spa and a few feet up each side (about 14 feet) and 6 friends and a case of beer or 2. Pick it up and move it right off the platform and set it down. Work on your base and repeat. Actualy 4 guys would do it but go slow.

Hello.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Get 3 nylon eye to eye straps long enough to go completely under your spa and a few feet up each side (about 14 feet) and 6 friends and a case of beer or 2. Pick it up and move it right off the platform and set it down. Work on your base and repeat. Actualy 4 guys would do it but go slow.

3-4 inches out of level is a lot. I would fight with the contractor if he was suppose to make you a level pad. Maybe some back up from the spa manufacturer that being this far out of level could be damaging to your tub, whats going to happen down the road as it sits with more pressure on one side....