Coast Spas?

JudyLa

Is anyone familiar with this spa? I know it's manufactured in Canada and my husband I were looking at them in Ottawa at Mermaid Pools. We've put a deposit down on a Caldera C45 .. but the dealer here is having a clearance sale and offered us (everything including taxes) 9300.00 for a Helios. The only thing I don't like is that it is their floor model and a 2006 model however it seems like a really high quality spa. I don't think I'll go for it but now I'm doubting my decision on the Caldera (I have only a refundable deposit). I hate confusing myself though.

http://www.coastspas.com/models/tubs/helios.html

I fixed the link to show the right model although what the dealer is offering is no choice in colors (grey cabinet) as it is a 2006 floor model.

Is anyone familiar with this spa? I know it's manufactured in Canada and my husband I were looking at them in Ottawa at Mermaid Pools. We've put a deposit down on a Caldera C45 .. but the dealer here is having a clearance sale and offered us (everything including taxes) 9300.00 for a Helios. The only thing I don't like is that it is their floor model and a 2006 model however it seems like a really high quality spa. I don't think I'll go for it but now I'm doubting my decision on the Caldera (I have only a refundable deposit). I hate confusing myself though.

http://www.coastspas.com/models/tubs/extreme.html

Be careful, TVs and spas don't mix well (neither do stereos to a lesser degree). They can really be trouble and the warranties are short. If you do go the floor model route ask UP FRONT whether the warranty is still fully intact or whether the clock has started ticking, especially with the spa being a 2006.

http://www.coastspas.com/models/tubs/extreme.html

Be careful, TVs and spas don't mix well (neither do stereos to a lesser degree). They can really be trouble and the warranties are short. If you do go the floor model route ask UP FRONT whether the warranty is still fully intact or whether the clock has started ticking, especially with the spa being a 2006.

Oh sorry .. I posted a link but I am definitely not getting a tv or speaker sound system in any hot tub I purchase.... the 2006 model is a Helios (is that the one showing on the link?). I'm just more interested in feedback if anyone is familiar with them .. they seemed really well made.

Also - the guy said to always ask for dry weight? Is that truly important? The dry weight for this model is 1425 pounds .. he actually jumped up and down in it and it was rock solid, didn't move at all. He said the warranties would be full.

However, I could get the Caldera C45 for $1K less but it's made in California. Winters can be brutal here in Ottawa Canada.

Also - the guy said to always ask for dry weight? Is that truly important? The dry weight for this model is 1425 pounds .. he actually jumped up and down in it and it was rock solid, didn't move at all. He said the warranties would be full.

However, I could get the Caldera C45 for $1K less but it's made in California. Winters can be brutal here in Ottawa Canada.

1) Dry weight is important for what reason? That's a new one on me.

2) You could have asked the Caldera salespeople to jump up and down on their spa as well but they would have probably looked at you like you'd lost your mind. That's a pretty theatrical sales move but its really just silly.

3) What does it matter what state/province the spa is made in? Some of the best built spas are made in California (and some crappy ones too) and some of the worst made spas are made in cold climates (and good ones too). Caldera is a well made spa built made by Watkins which sells spa all around the world and they make them to last is harsh climates as well as nice climates. You don't have to live in a cold area to know how to build a spa that lasts and is energy efficient.

Don't let the salesmanship that's been thrown your way sway you. Get whichever of the two you really want. If you get a good spa it'll last you 12, 15, ... 20 years.

for $1K less but it's made in California. Winters can be brutal here in Ottawa Canada.

PLEASE, can someone explain this stupid sales pitch? Or better yet, how people actually believe it? Really, I just don't get it.

Some of the best cold weather gear in the world is made in countries close to the equator.

95% of all cars assembled in the US use a windshield that's manufactured in Mexico (shouldn't they break in freezing conditions?)

The space shullte was made on Earth (how can it possible survive in the zero gravity, vacuum of space?)

for $1K less but it's made in California. Winters can be brutal here in Ottawa Canada.

PLEASE, can someone explain this stupid sales pitch? Or better yet, how people actually believe it? Really, I just don't get it.

Some of the best cold weather gear in the world is made in countries close to the equator.

95% of all cars assembled in the US use a windshield that's manufactured in Mexico (shouldn't they break in freezing conditions?)

The space shullte was made on Earth (how can it possible survive in the zero gravity, vacuum of space?)

I don't think we're talking about space shuttles though ??? nor am I comparing spas to cars ... ???

We're in an extremely cold climate here (we're at the moment enduring the worst storm of the year and reaching record amounts here). I think people are justified with asking questions like this when you have people who live in warm climates and have their spas outside vs people who are in really bad weather areas. A lot of people choose Artic spas in Ottawa for that reason but I can't afford them.

As for jumping up and down on the spa .. I was in one spa today at a different shop and it was noticeably shaky underneath my feet. I'm very small so that turned me off right away (there were other reasons besides that one too).

Here's a link to what the tubs are made of .. http://www.coastspas.com/aboutcoast/suppliers.html

I believe they draw attention to the dry weight because of the type/layers of fiberglass. I could tell it was pretty heavy duty and they are certified to have their hot tubs used comercially.

I'm not really leaning towards this .. really not comfortable with a 2006 model though but my husband only really likes the lounger due to his height in the Caldera 45.

I don't think we're talking about space shuttles though ??? nor am I comparing spas to cars ... ???

What you're trying to say is that the location a product is manufactured in, is directly related to the climate it can operate in. That, is absolutely ridiculous!

I think people are justified with asking questions like this when you have people who live in warm climates and have their spas outside vs people who are in really bad weather areas.

ABSOLUTLEY. But WHERE it's manufactured has no bearing what so ever on this. Only quality does.

A lot of people choose Artic spas in Ottawa for that reason

Then they've fallen for a rather stupid salesman's line (sorry Tom)

and they are certified to have their hot tubs used commercially.

"Certified" for commercial use???? I don't believe there is such a certification. For a spa to be used in a commercial application, it must meet certain requirements, yes. But these requirements have to do with dimensions, measurements and labeling/marking of the spa. The steps have to be specific in design (height, width, depth), there needs to be depth markers, specific hand holds, etc. Many manufacturers chose NOT to make commercial spas as the market is so small. Not making a commercial spa doesnt mean the manufacturer is any better or worse than another.

Doc that line was so good I actually laughed out loud. Not an LOL, a LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Just to cover my a##

The space shuttle was made on Earth, how can it possible survive in the zero gravity, vacuum of space?

© Dr. Spa™ 2008

Just to make it a little funnier........... I ummmmmmm, was in the bathroom when I came up with it. Who says bathroom time is unproductive time?

So is this true of Caldera's spas? Is the interior comparable?

"The shells of our spas are reinforced with up to eight layers of super-strong fiberglass from Owens Corning, a world leader in top-quality fiberglass".

I compared the two today and it didn't appear that Caldera is as well made as this company and was considerably lighter. I'm not saying Caldera isn't a good spa, I'm simply comparing the two. It doesn't appear that this forum is familiar with this company though, perhaps because it is Canadian.

Again, I have to question this. How is the weight of a product an indication of it's quality? A simple analogy would be again the automotive industry. Cars today weigh half of what they weighed in the 1950,s, yet are safer (in crashes), get better gas millage, go faster, and on and on.

Back in the 1960's (or there abouts) the US air force did testing to find out how much force the human body would survive. The purpose of the testing was to determine how strong to make the cockpits of fighter jets. There was/is no reason to spend the $$$ and add more weight to a fighter jet, if upon a crash, the cockpit would survive intact, but the pilot wouldn't have survived the force of the impact. The same could be said about just about any product. What's the point of having one aspect of a product able to last 100 years, when the rest of the product will fail in 20 years?

Putting this in the perspective of spas. Lets say one spa makes a shell that will last 100 years, but every other aspect of the spa is only designed to last 20 years. So, after 20 years, you still have a nice spa shell, but the cost of replacing everything else will far surpass the cost of an entire new spa. Yeah, it makes for a nice sales pitch, but it also adds unnecessarily to the overall initial cost.

Coast is as much Canadian as the New york Yankees are!!! Coast was a spin off from Cal spa. Much of the way the are made and features on the coast you will find on older Cal spas. Such as the pressurized filtration and the grated skimmer. Coast uses steel reinforcement as a result of inferior design which was also taken from Cal. Fibreglass from Owens Corning means nothing as many other tub companies get their fibreglass from them as well. Caldera has smaller pumps because they have a proper rating on them, not some bogus 5hp & 7 Hp ratings which dont exist. IMO the Helios is a comfortable tub but there are better tubs out there. Go and see Dave at Sani Sol and check out a Pacific Spa if you want to see what a real Canadian tub looks like.

Are Pacific spas comparable in quality/price wise with Caldera? I have sent them an email thanks for your recommendation.

I doubt I will be able to do more than look online as we got buried in 2 feet of snow last night on top of all the other snow we've had (it's snowed 85 out of 110 days).

Are Pacific spas comparable in quality/price wise with Caldera? I have sent them an email thanks for your recommendation.

I doubt I will be able to do more than look online as we got buried in 2 feet of snow last night on top of all the other snow we've had (it's snowed 85 out of 110 days).

Judy,

Many of the things you've mentioned like jumping up and down on shells and using the name brand of the insulation (as if that makes it superior and the other guy is using a K-Mart brand), giving fake HP ratings (if one seems to have twice as much HP as the other they are giving you a BS HP rating, aka brake HP) or telling the customers "they are built in a cold climate so they know what it takes" tell me that you've been getting an earful of Salesmanship 101. Its very common to get that kind of info crammed at you but I'd say just go ahead and look at Pacific and Caldera and decide which one you like better.

Caldera is a very good brand. I don't know Pacific but Pathfinder sells them and says good things so go ahead and consider them both viable. As long as you have faith in both dealers to be there for you future needs, decide based on what you like and if you really want to be smart wet test each brand.

I already knew I was getting a sales pitch and tuned most of what he was saying out. I already indicated I had moved past the initial question ..

The problem with Caldera is that although it's okay for me .. not so much for my husband as he's over 6 feet. He only likes the lounger. That's why I'm looking at other spas. However, like a lot of other people - I do have a budget and there's no point in going to look at really expensive spas when it's out of my financial comfort. That is why I asked for a pricing range for Pacific.

For the record, my husband would be gullible enough to believe absolutely everything a salesperson asks. I tend to research and believe in getting 2nd opinions and neutral opinions. Sales people are there to sell their product and I prefer to shop differently. I also don't want to listen to a list of what's wrong with their competitor's spa - really irritating.

No apology needed, it's not my line and I'm not a salesman. But I do believe that Arctic sets the standard for cold-climate performance. We live in this !@#$ climate (nine months of winter and three months of street hockey) and, gee, it seems so reasonable that we'd know what works here better than someone from southern California. :P (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

JudyLA, Coast Spas has been recognized for six consecutive years as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies. While that speaks to their management, not to their product, it might be something to keep in mind.

Sounds like you're already looking elsewhere. During your research, I hope you'll have time to take a peek at our Coyote Spas line - many of the benefits of the Arctic with some unique features of their own, at prices you might find attractive.

Good luck with your search.

No apology needed, it's not my line and I'm not a salesman. But I do believe that Arctic sets the standard for cold-climate performance. We live in this !@#$ climate (nine months of winter and three months of street hockey) and, gee, it seems so reasonable that we'd know what works here better than someone from southern California. :P (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

JudyLA, Coast Spas has been recognized for six consecutive years as one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies. While that speaks to their management, not to their product, it might be something to keep in mind.

Sounds like you're already looking elsewhere. During your research, I hope you'll have time to take a peek at our Coyote Spas line - many of the benefits of the Arctic with some unique features of their own, at prices you might find attractive.

Good luck with your search.

Another line you can look at is Clearwater Spas. They have a great lounge for tall people in the larger series of spas. Keep researching and don't fall for pushy sales ploys. Find out if they have passed the california energy testing, this will help tell you how effcient they really are, talk to others that own spas, find a dealer you can trust, they will be the ones servicing your spa if there is a warranty issue. Happy hunting.

Thanks Pathfinder for all your help yesterday.

Thanks Tom for the reply .. I strongly suspect Artic is out of my budget though. My neighbours were quoted on a 4 person spa (not sure which one) for $9400.00 ish .. you're absolutely right about this past weekend - 52 cm of snow on top of the rest we've had this year .. unbelievable.

I will visit the Pacific dealer this weekend .. I suspect they might be out of my price range but I'm interested enough to check it out. By the way, their head office emailed me and said the following: "we build spas to suit our extreme weather conditions which I am sure you just experienced this past weekend." (He's right about the past weekend we got 52 cm of snow).

Let us know how your visit to Pacific spas went. We are near Vancouver and our Pacific Calypso will be delivered on March 29th. There may be 2007 Atlantis models that are available at a discount and I believe the base model list price for the Atlantis was $6800.00. You will naturally have an extra delivery charge but maybe the dealer can arrange delivery with another order or with his 2008 models.

Why would I have to pay delivery? They don't have delivery included?

I'm planning on going Saturday to the Stittsville location which isn't that far from Ottawa, perhaps about 30 min.

I will definitely update once I'm back.

I'm planning on going Saturday to the Stittsville location which isn't that far from Ottawa, perhaps about 30 min.

Usually delivery in included in the price. It is never "free" (nothing is free), but it is usually already included in the price they give you but its always best to ask up front if they're not spelling it out in their quote.

Usually delivery in included in the price. It is never "free" (nothing is free), but it is usually already included in the price they give you but its always best to ask up front if they're not spelling it out in their quote.

Yes you are right. I definitely like a packaged bundle though .. the Caldera is being at 8200.00 (PST/delivery/cover/steps and electrical). I like hearing that in the total price though if you know what I mean.

I did not mean to create confusion with the comment noted below. I only meant there may be some 2007 models at the plant in BC and there could be a premium to ship to Ontario.

"There may be 2007 Atlantis models that are available at a discount and I believe the base model list price for the Atlantis was $6800.00. You will naturally have an extra delivery charge but maybe the dealer can arrange delivery with another order or with his 2008 models."

BTW in another thread I let you know that I spoke with my local Pacific dealer and they have a 2007 sparta floor model with the foot jets anf cedarlite skirt for $7499 and this price is negotiable. As you have checked out the website you will see that the tubs are a well made Canadian tub. Pathfinder could probably offer more info as we have only wet tested them and are yet to take delivery of our Pacific tub.

Happy hunting and enjoy the free wet tests. All of the dealers that we soaked at had very friendly and knowledgable staff. It is almost like a car purchase so take your time, wet test and enjoy. I think it is a great time to try and negotiate on a left over 2007 floor model if it is still at any of your local dealerships.

No problem Waterboy ..

Is this worth it? I now have this membership or my husband does due to car problems last week .. http://www.bcaa.com/wps/portal/membership/...hs.xsl/1263.htm .. I thought it was a bit high considering that Pathfinder was kind enough to give me an idea of prices.

By the way .. for wet testing .. how does that work? Caldera offered us to let us wet test the hot tub but I didn't need to as my sister-in-law owns the same one.

If it's not filled with water do they offer to fill? One other place would only offer to let us wet test a similar model that they had on display (one of many reasons I won't be going back as this was the guy that tried to sell me a 2006 model for over $9K). Do most hot tub places have their tubs filled with water in preparation? I haven't seen a lot of places around here that do that.

Pathfinder if you're reading this .. Duncan from Sani Sol sent me an email. Should I be dealing with the other name I was given - Dave? Or does it matter.

Thanks again for all the advice. Oh it's snowing here again in Ottawa :(