More Hydro Spa Issues - Sw Florida

BigMikeFL

Hello Spa Forum Members,

While doing some research on Hydro Spa, as to just who is responsible for my spa problems, I discovered this forum and decided to post some of my issues, hoping to gain some insight.

I purchased a new Hydro Spa Millennium through Advanced Solar and Spa in Fort Myers, FL about 3 1/2 years ago. Twice last year I required service calls with the most recent being December 27, 2007.

The first call in April 2007 was due to the control panel not working at all. The service technician disconnected it as he brought a replacement with him. Ironically the replacement would not work but as soon as he plugged my original panel back in, it worked fine.

In December, the control panel again stopped working as did the spa heater. Same technician responded and this time, when he took the control panel off, his comment was "Oh my God". It was very clear there had been a fire of some sort in the electrical panel as it was covered in black smoke. He said he had never seen anything like this and had been in the business for several years. After further review, he found one of the plumbing fittings had sprang a leak and sprayed directly on the panel, which caused the electrical short.

Additionally, while he was there I asked him about the blistering on the panels that enclose the spa. There are several spots about the size of a half-dollar where the clear covering is blistering away from the panel and is very unsightly. Again, his comment was he had never seen that either. When I received the bill for the electrical panel repair, I about had a heart attack, as it was $800.00+ !!

Now, I'm convinced that I got a bad spa which I understand can happen with a spa or any other manufactured item. I contacted my original seller, Advanced Solar & Spa, and was told by them the electrical components are out of warranty and the spa supplier refused to cover any of the problem, even though they had never seen such an electrical problem on any of the hundreds of spas they have sold. As for the panels, they informed me that would have to be covered from the manufacturer.

They gave me the number of their supplier and when I called them, it turned out to be Premium Leisure in St. Petersburg, FL. I spoke to a very nice lady, who will remain nameless, and she too stated those problems sounded very unusual to her and suggested I speak to Alan Vasciek but he was out of town for the week and gave me his voice mail. A fairly clear message was left for Alan but after he failed to return my call for three days (the following Wednesday) I again called his extension.

Alan was a very pleasant person to speak to on the phone and I actually felt I had finally reached someone that could assist me with this "lemon spa". He asked me to forward pictures of the cabinet, which I did the same evening. After about two weeks of no contact, I emailed him to make sure he received the pictures and to ascertain if he had any update to my concerns.

His initial email reply was for someone with a completely different issue than mine but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just a simple confusion error.

After a few emails back and forth his bottom line was his company is not responsible for any hydro spa issues since they filed bankruptcy in September of 2007 and there was nothing he could do for me even though this may be a defective spa. That came from left field since he wanted to see the panels as well and stated himself; he had never seen that happen either.

Of course that is not what I, or any other consumer that buys a "supposed top of the line" product, wants to hear.

Since that time I have completed some research and find that at the bankruptcy sale auction, the actually just bought themselves back hoping to get a new start by putting some of the existing Hydro Spa problems behind them. If you check their earlier webpage’s that still float around on the internet, as well as their current page, you will see Hydro Spa at the top of each page. Hmmmm what’s wrong with this picture ????

In his defense and since the initial delay in contacting him, Alan has since responded rather promptly to my messages and is certainly an agent I would want representing my company in a time such as this but, his hands may be tied as well.

After reading some other postings I have uncovered, persons all over the country are having issues with Hydro Spa products and are finding themselves in similar positions as I have. What a poor position for a company that advertises it has been in business since 1975 to place it's customers in.

Bottom line, I got ripped off by purchasing a defective Hydro Spa - Millennium Model and don't have any option or recourse to recover damages other than through a civil court. What a pain for all involved when just a little assistance would have made me a happy guy.

Buyer Beware of Hydro Spa Products and who your Supplier/Distributor might be.

Mike - Southwest Florida

Buyer Beware of Hydro Spa Products and who your Supplier/Distributor might be.

Mike - Southwest Florida

3 1/2 years I am sure you are out of warranty and I am sure you are probably screwed and have to bare the burden of all repairs on your own. In a year or so more you may find that tub "No longer cost effective to repair" And at that point I would reccomend going out and getting a new tub after researching here for one of many reputable brands. Then you should get 15 even 20 years life expectancy.

I have spoken with this customer, as posted, and unfortunately it is out of my hands. Had I been contacted prior to the service I could have certainly helped by heavily discounting the part needed to affect the repair, but BigMikeFL did not know to do that at that time.

I did not respond initially, partly due to being busy (and it slipping my mind last night), partly do to it being a pure cut and dry Hydro Spa issue. I am not here to defend negative press, Hydro Spa or otherwise, merely to assist any Premium Leisure customers and offer help in other situations where I am able. I work for Premium Leisure, I do not work for Hydro Spa. This post isnt the same as my others due to that fact that my last postings were about a Premium Leisure product and it was aggressively pursued until resolution. I suspect that 3.5 years into a 2 year warranty would have put this matter out of touch even if Hydro Spa were handling these claims, as Roger noted. As I stated, while not tied to or obligated by Hydro Spa warranties, we do want to help where able, but we can not be of much assistance when contacted after the fact as in this case.

We are happy to speak with Hydro Spa customers, offer free technical support, and discount on repair items. Please feel free to call our customer support team and see what we can do, prior to getting involved in a lengthy or costly repair as noted by the original poster is the only advice I can offer future readers on this case. I do empathize with BigMike, and dont wish these types of problems on anyone, I am just not in a position to help further at this point.

I have spoken with this customer, as posted, and unfortunately it is out of my hands. Had I been contacted prior to the service I could have certainly helped by heavily discounting the part needed to affect the repair, but BigMikeFL did not know to do that at that time.

I did not respond initially, partly due to being busy (and it slipping my mind last night), partly do to it being a pure cut and dry Hydro Spa issue. I am not here to defend negative press, Hydro Spa or otherwise, merely to assist any Premium Leisure customers and offer help in other situations where I am able. I work for Premium Leisure, I do not work for Hydro Spa. This post isnt the same as my others due to that fact that my last postings were about a Premium Leisure product and it was aggressively pursued until resolution. I suspect that 3.5 years into a 2 year warranty would have put this matter out of touch even if Hydro Spa were handling these claims, as Roger noted. As I stated, while not tied to or obligated by Hydro Spa warranties, we do want to help where able, but we can not be of much assistance when contacted after the fact as in this case.

We are happy to speak with Hydro Spa customers, offer free technical support, and discount on repair items. Please feel free to call our customer support team and see what we can do, prior to getting involved in a lengthy or costly repair as noted by the original poster is the only advice I can offer future readers on this case. I do empathize with BigMike, and dont wish these types of problems on anyone, I am just not in a position to help further at this point.

You can tell me and Allen are from different worlds. I simply say your screwed!! Alan...well read above..LOL...good job Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I was ordering some replacement items for my Hydro Spa and found this forum so I thought I would give my two cents as well.

I purchased my Hydro Spa in January 05 and all was good until March 06 when the problems began. I have in my folder 46 emails back and forth between Alan and Andrew (who is no longer employed) 41 between Mar 06 and August 06. Here is a list of what was replaced during the 6 month period:

3 ea radio/CD players

1 ea radio/CD player power unit. Turns out I had an old unit that hadn't been use for sometime.

2 ea radio/CD speakers and wiring.

One of the speakers would stop working most of the time. THE RADIO/CD PLAYER IS WORKING BUT STILL NOT AS IT SHOULD.

1 compete set of out side panels (old panels were warped and also did not fit correctly)

2 ea ozonators. The spa kept shutting down the ozonator was replace and it did not correct the problem. It was replaced again and it did not correct the problem. We then added and additional check valve and I rerouted the tubing in loops above the water line. It still did not solve the problem. I had a tech out to see if he could fix the problem. It turned out that some of the large plastic tubing was routed under the SPA and a section of about 2 feet was completely flat.

1 ea SPA cover which I ordered today as the old one is ripping apart after only 3 years.

1 ea Roto Jet as one will not stay in. another one is is about to do the same, but it only comes out every so often.

ON THE POSITIVE SIDE

I began my journey talking with Alan and was very please with him and he was a great help with solving my problems.

I was then turned over to Andrew and he was also amazing and was on top of my problems and insured that I was taken care of in quick time. He would answer my emails ASAP.

The tow ladies I ordered parts form this morning were very helpful and very pleasant to talk with.

ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE

I had another problem in January the SPA shut down twice. Each time I had to unplug either the ozonator or the heater in order to get it started and after it was running for a while I could then plug it back in. As I live at 9,000 feet in CO and it gets well below zero degrees I now had to check to make sure that it is still on and keeping the water warm. The last time it shut off it was almost down to freezing when I noticed it was off again.

I sent an email to Andrew ans Alan replied that Andrew was no longer with the company as a result of the take over by Premium leisure. Alan then turned me over to Chris who tried to tell me that it was not the SPA but an electrical problem. I responded back with my own thoughts about what I thought it might be almost 3 months and I haven't heard from him since. I spent many years in the rocket business so I am a little knowledgeable in this regard.

I called the service company that represented Hydro Spa and had been out to service my SPA for help. The informed me that they would no longer service Hydro Spa customers as they never paid them for there services.

It seems as if Premium leisure is only interested in selling and not servicing. One disinterested employee can do much damage to their company and its reputation.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you guys with wisdom are right, I'm screwed, maybe.

Not only for the electrical problem and fire, which no one else ever heard of, but also for the blisters on the cabinet which are clearly guaranteed to never do so in the Hydro Spa Book.

I'm once again having problems with the panel switches and I fully expect another major problem soon as each time the switches have acted up, a big repair bill soon followed.............

I've been thinking about how customers all over this area, including a co-worker that bought the same Millenium Spa I did, are getting screwed again and again with these defective spas and the lack of concern by the manufacturer, distributor, or local retail seller.

So, since I live in a nice area of Cape Coral, FL and one side of my property borders a well traveled 4 lane parkway I think this nice large spa would make a very nice planter.

Of course persons will expect me to explain why I paid thousands of dollars for such an expensive planter so to help with their concern, I'll have to post a sign with the names of the manufacturer, distributor, and local retail seller so they too can buy a nice planter if they so desire.

Who knows, it might even make the National News......and wouldn't that be good for persons to be informed where to buy a $7,000.00 planter.........

BigMike

Well, you guys with wisdom are right, I'm screwed, maybe.

Not only for the electrical problem and fire, which no one else ever heard of, but also for the blisters on the cabinet which are clearly guaranteed to never do so in the Hydro Spa Book.

I'm once again having problems with the panel switches and I fully expect another major problem soon as each time the switches have acted up, a big repair bill soon followed.............

I've been thinking about how customers all over this area, including a co-worker that bought the same Millenium Spa I did, are getting screwed again and again with these defective spas and the lack of concern by the manufacturer, distributor, or local retail seller.

So, since I live in a nice area of Cape Coral, FL and one side of my property borders a well traveled 4 lane parkway I think this nice large spa would make a very nice planter.

Of course persons will expect me to explain why I paid thousands of dollars for such an expensive planter so to help with their concern, I'll have to post a sign with the names of the manufacturer, distributor, and local retail seller so they too can buy a nice planter if they so desire.

Who knows, it might even make the National News......and wouldn't that be good for persons to be informed where to buy a $7,000.00 planter.........

BigMike

LOL....they make nice fish ponds also :D I understand where you are coming from. My husband worked for a local manufacturer that went out of buisness, went bankrupt. They told all of their customers up until a week before they closed the doors that they would have a full warrenty, fully knowing that they were going out of buisness never to be seen again.

Being that my husband worked for them and we took over their web site, customers exspect we will cover the warrenty. We did not even buy their buisness and had a tub of our own that was no longer under warrenty. You would think someone would step in to protect consumers, but how would they implement it if the company that sold the warrenty is gone. I guess that is the buyer beware thing. Good luck...if all else fails you could replace the major componets with retro fits and at least have a working tub. It may be cheaper than continually repairing the system you have.

• 4 years later...

I just had the same issue this past December with my Hydro Spa. The breaker turned my spa off while I was adjusting the weekly chemicals. When I switch the breaker on again it immediately turned off, so I proceeded to look at the spa and to my surprise started smelling an electrical fire and saw smoke. I opened the panel and then opened the controller box, the circuit was partially burnt up and smoking. I attempted to contact Hydro Quip via email and over the phone with no response. I still haven't done anything to fix/replace the problem since I'm not really sure what to do about it.

I'm wondering if there was a recall on the controller or circuit. I'm also concerned that if I'm not home and the spa switched on for its regular routine circulation, that it could cause a major fire.

I would love to get it running again but looking for some advice.

Erika

Pittsburgh, PA

i see this type of damage almost daily on the geko S and M packs. Honestly, an hour with a sodering gun fixes most, they usually look worse than they really are. The Geko pack is an absolute piece of garbage.