Impellers

amber044

After much review and searching high and low and talking to people who know how the pump..motor works.. we are goingn to check out the impeller on our tub.. cuz there isn't enough H2o being pulling

the heater for good flo... has anyone else ever replaced one of these????? thanks in advance for any help

Have read both of your post's, do you have a 24 hr reciculating pump in which your heater is conected to?? I wil try to help out as information is provided.

Generaly an impellor is not a replacable part. If an impellor wears out the entire pump is replaced, why put a ten dollar impellor in a hundred dollar pump when the impellor is designed to out last the pump. Unless the impellor was damaged the pump will wear out soon.

After much review and searching high and low and talking to people who know how the pump..motor works.. we are goingn to check out the impeller on our tub.. cuz there isn't enough H2o being pulling

the heater for good flo... has anyone else ever replaced one of these????? thanks in advance for any help

Have you pulled your filter and then checked the flow? If the flow returns strong it typically means your filters need cleaning or replacing.

Have read both of your post's, do you have a 24 hr reciculating pump in which your heater is conected to?? I wil try to help out as information is provided.

the only pump hooked to the heater is the main pump this is an 86 sundance cameo.. we have had it for about 4 years without major issues... Hopefully getting the pump rechecked this week.. it does look like you can replace the impeller have found that sight, but will leave that up to the repair guy. of we will I guess have to buy a new pump... we love our hot tub even thou it is old.. just frustating after having seals replaced and then we burn out a heating element. at about 70 bucks each element :) thanks

the only pump hooked to the heater is the main pump this is an 86 sundance cameo.. we have had it for about 4 years without major issues... Hopefully getting the pump rechecked this week.. it does look like you can replace the impeller have found that sight, but will leave that up to the repair guy. of we will I guess have to buy a new pump... we love our hot tub even thou it is old.. just frustating after having seals replaced and then we burn out a heating element. at about 70 bucks each element :) thanks

When I said it wasn't a replacable part I did not mean you couldn't replace it, sure you can. But in my experience if the impellor is bad the pump is also close to being bad. You may replace the impellor only to have the pump puke in a month. I am a component replacement kind of guy. If a pump is not working I replace the pump and this way you know you will get life from the new pump. I do seals in pumps but if a pump is 5 years old a 30 dollar seal to gain another year or 2 isn't bad. If a pump is 5-6 years old and the impellor is bad you may only get a year or so before the whole pump is bad. Just some food for thought.

When I said it wasn't a replacable part I did not mean you couldn't replace it, sure you can. But in my experience if the impellor is bad the pump is also close to being bad. You may replace the impellor only to have the pump puke in a month. I am a component replacement kind of guy. If a pump is not working I replace the pump and this way you know you will get life from the new pump. I do seals in pumps but if a pump is 5 years old a 30 dollar seal to gain another year or 2 isn't bad. If a pump is 5-6 years old and the impellor is bad you may only get a year or so before the whole pump is bad. Just some food for thought.
Our Hydro-Spa Z60 (9/2005) uses two 5hp pumps for jets and a single 1hp pump fpr "turbo air injection" (air-only jets).

Filtration is provided by one of the 5hp pumps running at low speed on a user-set schedule. This pump has developed a serious leak that can be observed at the point where the motor armature enters the plastic pump impeller housing.

1. Is impeller/housing/seal replacement an easier repair than attempting disassembly of the existing impeller/housing to replace just the seal?

Thanks!

SD

Our Hydro-Spa Z60 (9/2005) uses two 5hp pumps for jets and a single 1hp pump fpr "turbo air injection" (air-only jets).

Filtration is provided by one of the 5hp pumps running at low speed on a user-set schedule. This pump has developed a serious leak that can be observed at the point where the motor armature enters the plastic pump impeller housing.

1. Is impeller/housing/seal replacement an easier repair than attempting disassembly of the existing impeller/housing to replace just the seal?

Thanks!

I am in hopes of knowing for sure saturday... I did find a site that should me all that together.. a KIT they called it.. so I will price stuff out.. I have web pages gual to show this guy and hopefully we can find out

SD

Thanks!

SD

To replace a pump seal the pump needs to be removed from the tub. This can be easy or difficult depending on it's location and whether or not there are slice valves to isolate it. Once removed, the pump and motor have to be seperated. The impellor needs to be removed from the shaft and the pump is two parts once the pump front half is off the bottom half can then be seperated from the motor. The opposite side of the shaft from the impellor has a screw head or nut head that needs to be held while the impellor screws off the shaft. It should be a simple matter of holding the one end with a wrench or screw driver and spinning the impellor counter clockwise by hand. You will have the pump split in half at this point and the new seal has 2 parts, one that goes on the shaft under the impellor and one that goes in the back or bottom half of the pump. Make sure to lube both parts generously with magi lube, or any silicon lube. The whole job is an hour for an experienced tech but could be more the first time.

Roger<------training the world to be a tech

To replace a pump seal the pump needs to be removed from the tub. This can be easy or difficult depending on it's location and whether or not there are slice valves to isolate it. Once removed, the pump and motor have to be seperated. The impellor needs to be removed from the shaft and the pump is two parts once the pump front half is off the bottom half can then be seperated from the motor. The opposite side of the shaft from the impellor has a screw head or nut head that needs to be held while the impellor screws off the shaft. It should be a simple matter of holding the one end with a wrench or screw driver and spinning the impellor counter clockwise by hand. You will have the pump split in half at this point and the new seal has 2 parts, one that goes on the shaft under the impellor and one that goes in the back or bottom half of the pump. Make sure to lube both parts generously with magi lube, or any silicon lube. The whole job is an hour for an experienced tech but could be more the first time.

Roger, thank you very much for the detailed help. Based on your advice in this post, coupled with the abrasive noise the pump was making when it went out, I decided to assume impeller damage and ordered the entire wet end from Hydro-Spa (now "Premium Leisure, LLC).

The part came in at $52, and if it turns out to be just the seals, I'll save my old core for the next one that goes out. My leaking unit is directly behind the control box, so instead of trying to fight it stretched out in limited space from the side that is to the right of there, I am just going to remove what I have to in order to remove the pump from the closest access door. Am I ever glad this is not a "full-foam" tub!

Thank you again for the detailed advice! We have been very happy with this tub despite a lot of the negative reports here. The pressure out of the jets as produced by the two 5hp motors is something we were not able to find wet-testing lesser-powered tubs.

Regards,

SD

Roger, thank you very much for the detailed help. Based on your advice in this post, coupled with the abrasive noise the pump was making when it went out, I decided to assume impeller damage and ordered the entire wet end from Hydro-Spa (now "Premium Leisure, LLC).

The part came in at $52, and if it turns out to be just the seals, I'll save my old core for the next one that goes out. My leaking unit is directly behind the control box, so instead of trying to fight it stretched out in limited space from the side that is to the right of there, I am just going to remove what I have to in order to remove the pump from the closest access door. Am I ever glad this is not a "full-foam" tub!

Thank you again for the detailed advice! We have been very happy with this tub despite a lot of the negative reports here. The pressure out of the jets as produced by the two 5hp motors is something we were not able to find wet-testing lesser-powered tubs.

Regards,

SD

Make sure that wet end has the seal, some do, some don't. Most of the time you get more than a couple years out of those pumps they use. Is your water chemistry right?

Make sure that wet end has the seal, some do, some don't. Most of the time you get more than a couple years out of those pumps they use. Is your water chemistry right?
Yes. I would say that we went through the same "over attention" drill that is common with first-time spa owners ... trying to acheive a balance between proper ph and proper total alkalinity, but once we got turned on to the "Hamilton Index" (slightly higher pH, lower bromine) we have had great success with relatively fewer chemicals.

The only chemical disaster that we had in the early months of ownership was trying "pH-Balance" from Leisure Time. Whatever crap this stuff was caused absolutely ALL "total disolved solids" to "flock" out ... the water looked like a white-out snowstorm of baking-soda water. We'll never try that junk again!

SD