The "rolls Royce" Of Spa

Dominic

Hi group,

I have a LA SPA (Esteem model) that I have to leave in my existing home, having decided to move to another place. It is working fine for more than 5 years now despite few leaks* that oblige me to remove the whole stuff out of the ground loosing a day of work at least... Anyhow, my question is, as I am about to purchase a new one now, what is the best brand of SPA on the market today ?

Thanks for your advice.

hello from Belgian SPA owner

* I have been told that the glue that they use to connect pipes on jets are not that good quality...

IPB Image

Edited by Dominic

Hi group,

I have a LA SPA (Esteem model) that I have to leave in my existing home, having decided to move to another place. It is working fine for more than 5 years now despite few leaks* that oblige me to remove the whole stuff out of the ground loosing a day of work at least... Anyhow, my question is, as I am about to purchase a new one now, what is the best brand of SPA on the market today ?

Thanks for your advice.

* I have been told that the glue that they use to connect pipes on jets are not that good quality...

IPB Image

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Everyone's spa is the best according to them. In my opinion, the top three in no particular order are Master Spas, Hot Spring Spas, and Sundance Spas.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Everyone's spa is the best according to them. In my opinion, the top three in no particular order are Master Spas, Hot Spring Spas, and Sundance Spas.

My opinion is Coleman, Artic, and Marquis

HOT SPRINGS is the best! Well crafted and beautiful! I have a Vista model, But they are expensive!!!!

Can I ask how expensive?

HOT SPRINGS is the best! Well crafted and beautiful! I have a Vista model, But they are expensive!!!!

Can I ask how expensive?

Hi group,

Thanks for your advice.

IPB Image

Very nice setup. Yes, everyone will have an oppinion. The best spa is the one that fits you the best. I would add Marquis, D1, and Caldera to the first list and remove Master. Just my two cents. What brands are avilable where you live?

Susan to answer your question, my tub new base price was $9299 not including tax or the ozanator. I paid over 10k but got a $900 write off for medical reasons, so I think i paid $9700 total, but i regret it cause im graduating college and i have to sell it, I will be taking a big hit on it!

BUt if i had a house to bring it too, i would never sell it, i did a wet test to all the top tubs, leisure bay, caldera, hot springs. hot springs by far if you can afford it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi group,

Thanks for your advice.

The best tub out there is the one that fits into your price range, fits your backside the best, and gives you the most confidence in the dealer you are purchasing from.

Thanks Tyler. Most of them are available here. I don't care about the price: it must first of all be rugged and troublefree. Apparently Hot Springs looks the best... ?!

Check out the New M6 from Coleman spas in the Maxx Collection. That thing is AWSOME!!!

lol you are kidding right ? Whose spas did you wet test? I am not saying Hot Springs is not a good spa. But to make that kind of a blanketed statement it has to be tongue in cheek. They are several good makers with Hot Springs being the group and certainly a very good unit but not in the top 4 in my book for therapy but they get there as an overall spa. Build quality, energy efficiency, fit and finish. comfort and a warranty that will be honored. I think you will find all of better makes to share those quality's. My list is Marquis, D-1, Hot Springs, Sundance. I also think some othes are also good Hydropool, Coleman and Arcitc.

My opinion is Coleman, Artic, and Marquis

Hi Brulan,

Question: I called a coleman dealer per your three faves on the forum, and was told they're made just like their coolers. Now what kind of answer was that? Nothing personal, but my Coleman cooler isn't exactly what I was thinking of when I was thinking 10k on a hot tub, I'm a little puzzled. I remember the girl telling me 'double-layer styrofoam' and 'just like the coolers' and thinking 'what???'

I was, however, attracted to the price of the spas, even the loaded ones were less expensive than I figured they'd be.

If you dealers out there had to pick ONE spa, for keeping out critters, for energy efficiency, for quality and value, which would it be? I'm starting to get spa overload and now I need a soak more than ever and don't have a dang tub. Help!

Hi Brulan,

Question: I called a coleman dealer per your three faves on the forum, and was told they're made just like their coolers. Now what kind of answer was that? Nothing personal, but my Coleman cooler isn't exactly what I was thinking of when I was thinking 10k on a hot tub, I'm a little puzzled. I remember the girl telling me 'double-layer styrofoam' and 'just like the coolers' and thinking 'what???'

I was, however, attracted to the price of the spas, even the loaded ones were less expensive than I figured they'd be.

If you dealers out there had to pick ONE spa, for keeping out critters, for energy efficiency, for quality and value, which would it be? I'm starting to get spa overload and now I need a soak more than ever and don't have a dang tub. Help!

I've never heard that they are like the coolers. lol. There is a 1" styrofoam along the inside with a thermal foil barrier. They have excellent accessabilty! They have an ABS bottom so no critters can get inside and also traps the heat inside. They have a gavalume steel structure rather than wood. Coleman used to make there tubs with wood and full foam back in the day. The tub is efficient and very well built. Go to the showroom and try out the different models they have. There is a longer lead time than usual with them right now but you can go with ones in stock and you will wait less time. Which model are you looking at and tell me the price they want and I can tell you if it is a good deal. Happy shopping :)

Dimension One, Marquis, Catalina, Sundance, Hydropool, Caldera. Which ever one of these felt the best in the wet test.

In my area, HotSpring, Tiger River, Sundance and D1 are tops. Marquis would fall closely behind them. Caldera and Arctic are not in my area and I am aware of there good reputation.

Wow how nice it is to be objective. Tiger River ahead of Marquis ? OK maybe in the little play world you must live in. I can see if you want to toss Hot Springs and Sun dance and D-1 in a group with Marquis but to say Tiger River just shows your how openly nonobjective you really are.

I can see if you want to toss Hot Springs and Sun dance and D-1 in a group with Marquis but to say Tiger River just shows your how openly nonobjective you really are.

I actually believe that Tiger River is more similiar to a Sundance or Marquis than a HotSpring. Quality wise, it's made on the same assembly line as a HotSpring, same pump, same circ pump, same controls, but having no Moto-Massage, Soothing Seven jets and different filtration. Bypass filtration just like Sundance, Marquis, and D-1.

If you're going to include HS with the others, you have to include TR or provide a plausible reason as to why not.

Why do you feel they shouldn't be included?

Terminator

I actually believe that Tiger River is more similiar to a Sundance or Marquis than a HotSpring. Quality wise, it's made on the same assembly line as a HotSpring, same pump, same circ pump, same controls, but having no Moto-Massage, Soothing Seven jets and different filtration. Bypass filtration just like Sundance, Marquis, and D-1.

If you're going to include HS with the others, you have to include TR or provide a plausible reason as to why not.

Why do you feel they shouldn't be included?

Terminator

In many ways you answered your own question. It is the more simplified line for Hot Springs. It does not have the type of "upgraded" jets that you will find on HS,SD or Marquis meaning it does not get what they consider their premium, jets, water features, etc. Now you can debate the Moto Massage or the Fluidix jets or the HK40 jets that they put on HS, SD and Marquis as to which is better or which you prefer but they are on the upper end line. Just like the Tiger River does not have what HS considers their premium jets nor the 700 series's from Sundance have the Fluidix jets or the standard everyday from Marquis have HK40's.

Wow how nice it is to be objective. Tiger River ahead of Marquis ? OK maybe in the little play world you must live in. I can see if you want to toss Hot Springs and Sun dance and D-1 in a group with Marquis but to say Tiger River just shows your how openly nonobjective you really are.

Since he specifically referred to his area in making that stamtent, that may also be a reflection on the worthiness of the dealers themselves, not just the product.

Since he specifically referred to his area in making that stamtent, that may also be a reflection on the worthiness of the dealers themselves, not just the product.

That is fair but I have to believe since he sells Hot Springs he is familiar with Caldera. Maybe I am wrong but I think it is a fair assumption that you get some pretty good insight to the Watkins lines when you sell one of them especially since they must share some technologies with each other. Maybe some Hot Springs guy will tell me they don't but I have seen a lot of Caldera's influence on the newer Hot Springs models if only from a visual point of view.

In many ways you answered your own question. It is the more simplified line for Hot Springs.

Actually, I didn't and I didn't see where you did either.

If Tiger River is the more "simplified" line for HotSpring, then Sundance, Marquis, and D-1 must be simplified spas as well.

Since Tiger River was actually designed to appeal to people who were not enamored with the older style HotSpring Endurol, open seating, no-bypass, low jet count, Moto-massaging spas, this gave them an alternative choice. They were fashioned to perform like a Sundance and other bypass-laden, high jet count, bucket seated machines. Yet, internally, they are made of the same quality components as a HotSpring, same shell, nearly identical rock solid cabinet, and the exact same warranty on parts and the shell.

I don't find it a stretch to include TR alongside those others at all purely from a mechanical, design, and quality standpoint. Tiger River isn't a HotSpring, but then again, nothing else is.

Terminator

That is fair but I have to believe since he sells Hot Springs he is familiar with Caldera.

He may be familiar with them but I'm not sure what Caldera has to do with his point? He stated Caldera and Arctic weren't in his area and he was going by reputation whereas the others were local to him so I believe he was relaying personal feedback on them. Maybe he can touch on what makes Marquis a step back in his area.

Actually, I didn't and I didn't see where you did either.

If Tiger River is the more "simplified" line for HotSpring, then Sundance, Marquis, and D-1 must be simplified spas as well.

Since Tiger River was actually designed to appeal to people who were not enamored with the older style HotSpring Endurol, open seating, no-bypass, low jet count, Moto-massaging spas, this gave them an alternative choice. They were fashioned to perform like a Sundance and other bypass-laden, high jet count, bucket seated machines. Yet, internally, they are made of the same quality components as a HotSpring, same shell, nearly identical rock solid cabinet, and the exact same warranty on parts and the shell.

I don't find it a stretch to include TR alongside those others at all purely from a mechanical, design, and quality standpoint. Tiger River isn't a HotSpring, but then again, nothing else is.

Terminator

Wow a lot to cover here. Humm where does one start. It is interesting that you say I did not answer the question I think I was pretty straightforward about it and also mentioned a direct reason as to why using the jets as a reference point. Lets see you mentioned higher jet count on High Springs newer model and in there own words most fully featured spa the Vista the jet count is 47 highest jet count you can get out of a Tiger River is 36 that kinda puts a hole in the story about having more jets with Tiger River. If you want to be the first Hot Springs guy to try and tell me and whoever else is reading this that the Moto massage is not Hot Springs most inclusive therapy seat than I think the folks at Watkins would love to hear you explain it to them, I think they may have a different opinion than yours. Out of respect to you and other Hot Springs people here I am not going get into all of the differences in the products and who's better but I will say that you mention the "Rock Solid Cabinet" if thats so why not back it up with a warranty the supports that. Fading and warping the two things most likely to happen to spa left outdoors are not covered on the rock solid cabinet but basically workmanship is. I respect Hot Springs product and really for the most part the men and woman who sell it. But at times its "Arctic" like in the superior attitude taken by so many who are associated with it.

• 3 weeks later...

dont le the brand steer you into your descision. Let a wet test make up your mind. Every brand out ther has something nice to offer that is a little different. Every person has a unique preference and body shape. You should tst and then buy based on your likings. They always feel differnt wet than dry. There are plenty of good brands and I can say that quality and performance arent always the same. Hot springs makes an excellent quality tub but I though they were extremely weak for an expensive tub. Way over rated in my book. I wouldnt pay 1000 bucks for one. WEAK!!!!!!!!!! D1 was a nice tub quality and performance. I bought an LA spa. I have had it for six months. So far so good. I love it. It was the msot comfortable tub I used and is an excellent build quality. If money were no object, I would look at a D1 Bay series, a Coleman MAXX series or a ELITE brand comprable (made by coleman, not that POS from costco). Those are nice but were out of my price range. Try not to go off of brand alone. Quality plays a role but it can be reliable all day long and it doesnt make a heck of alot of differenc if you arent comfortable. Try to block all of the BS on thsi site about companies like Hot Springs, over rated and under powered. Let you be the judge of what a premium tub is. This sisnt like buying a car where they all are really the same but some have leather, GPS and cool gadgets that make it better. This is all about comfort!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First timer hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of brands out there... some local dealers, others "big box" stores, others direct manufacturers. Comfort is the perfect word. I think comfort is important not only in the spa you choose but also the company. Comfort when speaking to the representative and the service dept., comfort in using the spa, comfort in knowing you'll be taken care of if you need anything in the future. Many regular posters in here (not all) will give a little plug for the brand they sell and throw in a couple of other brands to have it be "balanced" but the "Rolls Royce" of all spas is the company that provides the right fit for you and how you will be using your spa along with meeting and exeeding your expectations for support and service. Take your time and look into all of these facets and do not be hasty in your decision to purchase. Take some time and check out your local manufacturers first. Dealers with a good track record and ones that haven't changed brands numerous times may provide good support. Hang out in the showroom for a while and see how they treat people. The best spa in the world would not be in my yard if I wasn't going to be treated well. Also, anyone who insults others is a direct turn off in my opinion. Best of luck in your research. Let us know how it goes. B)