Power Loss During Freezing Temps

fdegree

We had something happen last night that got me thinking. We lost power, fortunately for only 45 minutes, and the outside temp was 12 degrees.

So, my question is…Under these circumstances (power loss, freezing temps), how long should I wait before I start worrying about the hot tub? I know there are a lot of variables…water temp, outside temp, cabinet insulation, cover insulation, wind, etc. But, does anyone have an approximation…6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, 2-3 days, a week?

My biggest concern is the compartment that houses the pumps has a removable panel, and this compartment is not as heavily insulated as the rest of the tub. This is the side of the tub that faces into the wind. I’m thinking the water that is in the pumps, pipes and heater, within this compartment, could freeze before anything else.

Also, when the time comes to worry, what should I do about the situation? Part of me says, “drain the tub” and the other part says, “leave it alone, a large volume of water takes longer to freeze”. Another thought just hit me, pour salt in the tub to lower its freezing point. But, the pumps aren't runnig to help circulate the salt solution. If this is a viable solution, what kind of salt and how much?

Thanks for your help!!!

Fdegree,

Two winters ago we had a really bad ice storm and lost power for 4 days. I never touched the tub (DON"T lift the cover!) and just prayed. The temps were down in the teens after the storm and stayed there. We ended up in a motel. When the power came back on and we returned home, I checked the tub and the temp had dropped to 54 degrees. No problems. This is just my personal experience and I thought I'd share it with you.

We had something happen last night that got me thinking. We lost power, fortunately for only 45 minutes, and the outside temp was 12 degrees.

So, my question is…Under these circumstances (power loss, freezing temps), how long should I wait before I start worrying about the hot tub? I know there are a lot of variables…water temp, outside temp, cabinet insulation, cover insulation, wind, etc. But, does anyone have an approximation…6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, 2-3 days, a week?

My biggest concern is the compartment that houses the pumps has a removable panel, and this compartment is not as heavily insulated as the rest of the tub. This is the side of the tub that faces into the wind. I’m thinking the water that is in the pumps, pipes and heater, within this compartment, could freeze before anything else.

Also, when the time comes to worry, what should I do about the situation? Part of me says, “drain the tub” and the other part says, “leave it alone, a large volume of water takes longer to freeze”. Another thought just hit me, pour salt in the tub to lower its freezing point. But, the pumps aren't runnig to help circulate the salt solution. If this is a viable solution, what kind of salt and how much?

Thanks for your help!!!

If its a FF tub the equipment bay is suseptible to freeze first, but a simple trouble light placed properly can postpone freeze damage for days depending on temp. In a TP tub a light or 2 will also postpone freeze up if there is good perimeter insulation and not alot of air gaps. And obviously the vessel warmth will radiat to plumbing. But once the vessel starts to cool the plumbing will be suseptable. Now, how do you run a trouble light with no power, well a generator will do that. If you just want to wing it and take your chances there are far to many vairiables for anyone to predict how long it will last before freeze up. Will it last a few hours yes. Will it last a few days, depending on the insulation, wind, and temp, maybe??? Make sure your power outage plan includes a drain and plumbing line evacuation plan as a last resort.

I have 2 tub tents and 2-2000W gen sets, and 2 propane forced air heaters for freeze protection and winter repair. A simple blue tarp rigged properly (like a small tent over the equipment bay and an infared propane heater will also prevent freeze up but never leave these aparatas unattended.

You might want to consider adding some insulation to your tub. I wrapped the inside of mine in a bubble wrap backed with aluminum foil sold at Home Depot. Stapled it to the inside framing members cutting it in where necesary. Was able to get a fairly airtight wrap around the inside of the tub. You can feel it trapping heat as you install it. If you want pics let me know.

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

I use 2 heavy gauge tarps overlapping i tie the down undre the cover level and about 1' from the grown (DECK) to keep them from lifting. for good measure i tuck in snow on the tarps over the base of the tub as insulation. and it works fine for a few day (temps get easily under 15 C here)