99 Cal Spa Oh Code Flashing

webygail13

Hey there, I'm new to the Spa world, and I have a question. My wife and I bought our current home back in the summer, this cal spa was already installed. Empty of water and hadn't been run in a while I don't think, but looked brand new. I repaired some pipes in it that had some leaks, filled it up and everything worked fine for a few days. Then I started getting the over heating code. I called a big dealership for spas in the area and they told me to pull my filter out and let it run for a day or two with no filter, well, an hour later the code was back and my hottub was shut off. But, the kicker is, the water was only about 80 degrees when the code came up, so it's not the water that is over heating. My suspicion is one of the sending units or sensors. Anyone know which one it may be or what I need to do to test and figure it out? Local dealer want's about $200 just to come out, that's crazy. Thanks for help!

hey webygail13,

This is funny.. I am also having this same exact problem. I have a Cal Spa Sunset Special 32 (purchased in Sept 2003) I've tried running the cal spa jet cleaner in hoping that there were some sensors that might need cleaning or something, I've left the filter out for days and still the hot tub goes into over heat mode until I reset it. I think it goes into this state when it goes over the set temp that you have made. Anyhow, please keep me updated on your findings and I will do the same.

Thanks,

-Dave

Hey there, I'm new to the Spa world, and I have a question. My wife and I bought our current home back in the summer, this cal spa was already installed. Empty of water and hadn't been run in a while I don't think, but looked brand new. I repaired some pipes in it that had some leaks, filled it up and everything worked fine for a few days. Then I started getting the over heating code. I called a big dealership for spas in the area and they told me to pull my filter out and let it run for a day or two with no filter, well, an hour later the code was back and my hottub was shut off. But, the kicker is, the water was only about 80 degrees when the code came up, so it's not the water that is over heating. My suspicion is one of the sending units or sensors. Anyone know which one it may be or what I need to do to test and figure it out? Local dealer want's about $200 just to come out, that's crazy. Thanks for help!

An overheat code means it is getting to hot inside the heater to be safe so it shuts the heater down. The water could be cool still in the vessel and you may still get an overheat code. There are a couple things that may cause it and flow across the heater is one, that's why your dealer suggested removing the filter. But if you have good flow through your heater then you have to believe it is your overheat sensor. This sensor is located at the heater output end. There are other possibiitys also but I would check these first. Make sure you have good flow through the heater, then replace the sensor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am new to the conversation, but I have a Cal Spa which keeps showing OH although the temperature only gets to 100. I also took the filter out for a few days, then bought a new filter and it ran okay for about 2 weeks. It is now back to showing the OH. I've kept the filtration on F2 but still have the problem. Any other suggestions - the service guy we talked to said I need a new computer board - very costly. Help!

We bought the spa new in 1999.

I am new to the conversation, but I have a Cal Spa which keeps showing OH although the temperature only gets to 100. I also took the filter out for a few days, then bought a new filter and it ran okay for about 2 weeks. It is now back to showing the OH. I've kept the filtration on F2 but still have the problem. Any other suggestions - the service guy we talked to said I need a new computer board - very costly. Help!

It's also possible that your pumps are aging and not pushing enough water. This will create a low flow problem. Is there good flow at the jets on these units?

• 3 weeks later...

It's also possible that your pumps are aging and not pushing enough water. This will create a low flow problem. Is there good flow at the jets on these units?

The jets have a good flow. We turned off the unit, went down to 48 degrees. We just turned it back on and the right pump is running but not the left while it is trying to reach operating temperature. Should both pumps be running? If only one pump is working would this cause the OH error?

You can also test the temp sensor by taking a cup of water from you tub place a digital thermometer in the cup take out your temp sensor put it in the cup. If the readout and the thermometer are different then you have to replace the board. Only do this test when you get your OH reading.

You can also test the temp sensor by taking a cup of water from you tub place a digital thermometer in the cup take out your temp sensor put it in the cup. If the readout and the thermometer are different then you have to replace the board. Only do this test when you get your OH reading.

Although it sounds like you are getting good water flow, another free thing to check....gate valves, did one slide partially closed? Just something to check. Does sound as if you have a bad temp probe.