How Has Your Spa Helped With Pain Or Stiffness?

TinyBubbles

I'm just curious if anyone with serious medical/pain issues has gained relief through using their spa. My husband has intense back pain, but sitting in the tub does nothing to relieve it. He has used the spa as a place to do his stretches, which does help. It seems easier to do the stretches in the warm water while somewhat buoyant. How has the spa helped you?

I'm just curious if anyone with serious medical/pain issues has gained relief through using their spa. My husband has intense back pain, but sitting in the tub does nothing to relieve it. He has used the spa as a place to do his stretches, which does help. It seems easier to do the stretches in the warm water while somewhat buoyant. How has the spa helped you?

Well, now we've hit a topic that I am close to an expert on. I have had 7 spinal (lumbar and cervical) surgeries over the past 30 years. I currently have another Lumbar disc that is herniated and 4 thoracic discs that are herniated. At this point, considering all the previous spinal disc surgeries, additional surgery is not being considered. Along with those problems, I have Spondy Grade 1.5, Severed Degenerative Disc Disease and Increasing severe Lateral Spinal Stenosis in the lumbar region. I currently go for Aqua Therapy 2 times a week for 2 hours each time in a theraputic pool heated to 92 degrees and I go weekly to a Thai Deep Tissue Massage therapist. I am on Oxycontin 20mg twice a day plus OxycodoneIR 5mg as needed. This has been ongoing nonstop for the past two years.

So, my wife and I decided it was time to invest in a Hot tub. Its only been a week and half, but I go in every day and I feel wonderful while I am in the tub. I had researched so many tubs to find those with the right combination of jets for my spine.

I do not do any stretching in the hot tub, because I get my aqua exercise as the Rehab Pool I pay for.

But overall, warm water treatment is a definite plus for spinal problems. I moderate a large forum over at Spine-Health.com and have recommended Aqua therapy and Hot tubs to people for a while now. There is no question that you will see benefits in using the tub.

But I do need to point it out, it will NOT correct any spinal disorder (as I described above), it will make it more comfortable. However, with muscular related back problems, the warm water CAN correct the situation.

Tiny Bubbles,

We initially purchased our spa for theraputic reasons for me. I had trashed out my knee on the job and then subsequently shattered my femur secondary to the knee injury. The spa helped immensely. Being a full time Paramedic, I too suffer from chronic back pain since proper lifting techniques sometimes have to go out the window. The spa had become a staple in my life and I truely notice the difference without it over the past six months. Obviously, it wasn't an overnight relief, but after a few months of daily "therapy", it truely made a difference. Now that I have been without it the last six months, I eat more ibuprofen than ever. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel as my replacement is being delivered tomorrow!!

Tell your husband not to give up hope. It will make a difference. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but give it six months of daily or even twice a day, and he will notice improvement.

Best of luck to you,

Bill

Well my wife and I are not suffering from any serious medical or pain issues but we are both suffering from the wear and tear on our bodies from our occupations. I have been in the military for 25 years and my wife has been a nurse for 30 years. We both find that our hottub eases the pain in our joints significantly, albeit for a short time. Helps us go back to the grind daily. Cheers.

My wife had a back problem this past year....one of the disks in the tail bone area ( i dont know the right number or name LOL) was partially herniated....was stressed and while bending over to pick up some files at HOSPICE she sneezed....and was immobilized on floor for an hour unable to move. Physical therapy, inflammation medicine, pain killer and an Epidural Injection were all used for treatment.

We bought the Coleman 480 partially because of price but also for the lower back jets and adjustability with two pumps, blower, heat, etc... so here is the results.

The heat definitely helps her int he discomfort area and the bubbles and jets not only massage her back but lift her slightly if we turn them on high and make her more bouyant. She and I go through two 15 minute therapy sessions with all the jets and bubbles and stuff. Then she floats with her head resting on my chest for two sessions and says the combination of massage first and then relaxing heated floating int he spa with no pressure on her hips or spine is wonderful. She can tell a difference.....

I go in if I have rode my motorcycle a long distance or been working in yard and have a tired or sore back or shoulders....and it definitely helps me relax and loosen those sore tight muscles before bed.

My only complaint is that for the past two months I have not watched any of my favorite television shows or new movies....and have to watch them on TIVO instead as every night at 8pm i am soaking for 60 minutes....LOL :D

Well, these have been interesting replies. It's great that people are getting relief from their tubs. My whole family has problems with arthritis, and while I haven't been to a dr. to be diagnosed, I assume I do as well. I definately get relief from being in the spa. Dil, I was told that heat aggravates problems involving bulging or herniated discs, is this true? So far the only relief my hubby gets is from an inversion table and stretching. I've been worrying that our soaks could actually increase his pain.

Well, these have been interesting replies. It's great that people are getting relief from their tubs. My whole family has problems with arthritis, and while I haven't been to a dr. to be diagnosed, I assume I do as well. I definately get relief from being in the spa. Dil, I was told that heat aggravates problems involving bulging or herniated discs, is this true? So far the only relief my hubby gets is from an inversion table and stretching. I've been worrying that our soaks could actually increase his pain.

Heat will not aggravate disc problems.. In fact most physical therapy or aqua therapy technicians will utilize heat therapy for patients with disc problems. Cold is used initially within the first 48 hours of a problem and also can be used after some strong exercise periods. The heat acts similar to magnet therapy where the main purpose is to get the blood vessels in the injured area moving rapidly. This can decrease some pain level while increasing recovery time.

I'd be more than glad to go into more details about this... Send me an email or message. I dont know if others here want to have me go into details about spinal problems and how to recover from them.

I work construction and can tell you I get my aches and pains. I sure feel a lot better after tub'n for sure.

FWIW my GF has very bad back pain and has has great sucess with CELEBREX.

From their site:

CELEBREX is an NSAID that relieves arthritis pain, stiffness, and inflammation. For many people, just one 200-mg dose provides 24-hour relief. CELEBREX has never been taken off the market; on average, more than 1 million prescriptions are filled for CELEBREX each month.

Tiny, I use my tub for loosening up sore muscles. I have noticed that I'm not as stiff as I use to be especially after bending. I love to work in my gardens. I do a lot of kneeling and my thigh muscles would get very sore the next day. :mellow: Since getting my tub, I've notice that I'm not sore anymore. That in it self is a great personal benefit of being a tub owner. :D

I blew out a disc on September the 8th. Waterskiing boat got airborne. It wasn't the drop that did it - it was the sudden stop at the end. I know within minutes that I had done somthing, and I knew within hours that my life was about to change. It has...

But I have only been in the tub three times since then - and I have been in bed for the remaining time. I can't sit for more than a few minutes, have missed two months of work and most of the third month.

The reason I haven't been able to allow the tub to help is simply that I am in too much pain to get into and out of the tub without making that one or two motions which absolutely 'lights up' my entire sciatic nerve. Once that's on fire, there is no relief: can't lie down - yes, I have tried all combination of pillows, front, back, side, head up, head down, tried them all. Can't sit, but I can walk a little, so I pace around for about a half hour until the various pain meds kick in.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 4th of December, and I am SOOOO ready to get this over with. The surgeon said it would be a two to four month recovery - I asked if I paid more if I could get the two.....

B)

Chas,

I can really sympathize with you! I know exactly what you are going through. Too bad there wasnt in easy way to get in and out of the tub, cause that would feel so good.

Besides the normal conservative treatments, do you have access to any therapeutic pool? The rehab center I go to has a great pool (92 degrees) and its easy in/out and there are many patients pre-surgery and post-surgical spine problems.

When you are sitting and I know it can't be for long periods of time, try moist heat on the lumbar area, it will just give you some temporary relief.

If you want any details about the actual surgery, recovery period, what to expect, etc, please visit me at http://messageboard.spine-health.com/index.php , I know you have been there before.

(Hope it was ok to mention another site, they are in the medical field, providing information to all, not selling any services)

Yes, my spa has really helped my back problems, but only in the sense that it provides temporary relief because of the weightlessness. Otherwise, my back hurts me most of the time and I can't find any good position. In the tub I get all the pressure taken off my hips and lower back where my problem is. But when I get out of the water I don't find it provides much long lasting relief. Hope that helps..

DW

I myself like many others suffer from the daily aches and pains of physical labor over the past 29 years, no I'm not 29 but have endured labor for this amount of years with military and maintence as a daily routine. I can tell you this much the tub does not solve any of my pains but helps alleviate them to make the weeks past by smoother not sure if it's the heat combined with the expanding and constricting of blood arteries or whatever it is but it defianetly seems to help my overall pains and aches it's not a cure all but more of a alleviator to the pains so I can rest better at nights.

I myself like many others suffer from the daily aches and pains of physical labor over the past 29 years, no I'm not 29 but have endured labor for this amount of years with military and maintence as a daily routine. I can tell you this much the tub does not solve any of my pains but helps alleviate them to make the weeks past by smoother not sure if it's the heat combined with the expanding and constricting of blood arteries or whatever it is but it defianetly seems to help my overall pains and aches it's not a cure all but more of a alleviator to the pains so I can rest better at nights.

Mark, two of those things Heat and More blood circulation are two key items in reducing pain and aids towards healing. That works basically on the same principle of those medical therapy magnets. And yes, the Hot Tub, just lke the use

of Tens Units, Acunpuncture and other conservative spinal treatments will NOT eliminate the pain, it provides pain relief , which in time can actually help correct the entire situation.

I blew out a disc on September the 8th. Waterskiing boat got airborne. It wasn't the drop that did it - it was the sudden stop at the end. I know within minutes that I had done somthing, and I knew within hours that my life was about to change. It has...

But I have only been in the tub three times since then - and I have been in bed for the remaining time. I can't sit for more than a few minutes, have missed two months of work and most of the third month.

The reason I haven't been able to allow the tub to help is simply that I am in too much pain to get into and out of the tub without making that one or two motions which absolutely 'lights up' my entire sciatic nerve. Once that's on fire, there is no relief: can't lie down - yes, I have tried all combination of pillows, front, back, side, head up, head down, tried them all. Can't sit, but I can walk a little, so I pace around for about a half hour until the various pain meds kick in.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 4th of December, and I am SOOOO ready to get this over with. The surgeon said it would be a two to four month recovery - I asked if I paid more if I could get the two.....

B)

the epidural injection (nerve block) did more for the pain than anything except heat and exercise for my wife....she did not need surgery but even if she did the pain was unbearable until about a week after the epidural injection and cortisone shots she received. Getting better now but only takes a moment of thoughtlessness and thinking she is better to do something that over does it and causes a setback for a few days.

Good luck...

I'm glad to hear the injection worked for your wife - I have five people in my life right now who have gotten injections with no results at all. Strike that - one friend got pain relief for two to three weeks. She still thought it was worth it, but was very dissapointed it didn't last longer.

I was scheduled for an injection but I put it off, and now the surgeon said to just cancel.

Going for pre-op visits to neurologist and the hospital today. I am guessing blood tests and x-rays?

Hope I can move this evening!

B)

I'm glad to hear the injection worked for your wife - I have five people in my life right now who have gotten injections with no results at all. Strike that - one friend got pain relief for two to three weeks. She still thought it was worth it, but was very dissapointed it didn't last longer.

I was scheduled for an injection but I put it off, and now the surgeon said to just cancel.

Going for pre-op visits to neurologist and the hospital today. I am guessing blood tests and x-rays?

B)

I had 2 broken vertebra and a herniated disc. Our hottub has done wonders for my back; I use far less morphine, muscle relaxants and anti-inflamatiories. The heat and jet action gives temporary relief; when used 2 or 3 times daily, it makes a hugh overall difference.

Let's just hope that the rods and screws in my back don't rust. :lol:

Chas,

think twice about getting epidural injections and/or ask your doctor's advice.

I had a double fusion (lumbar) and during that surgery they give me a morphine injection into my spine as a type of nerve block/pain killer. Well they almost killed me with a massive morphine overdose; the morphine leaked out of my spine from where I had had multiple epidural injections. It took 3 doses of "norcan" to reverse the effects of the morphine.

P.S. the epidural injections did not help me.

Chas, good luck on Dec. 4th. I hope your surgery goes well. The spa doesn't help much with my back pain but it does wonders for my mental wellbeing.

B)

yeah they are hit and miss and dont last forever...only lasted about a month for her and is now worn off...but allowed her to function and heal without too much discomfort...took the edge off.

B)

Chas, in the past 3 years I have had 6 Epidural injections (4 Thoracic and 2 Lumbar). The actual procedure is pretty straight forward and when done in the proper sterile environment it all goes quickly and you are out of the procedure in about 45 minutes (25 for the procedure itself, 15 or so in a recovery room, etc). The first 24 hours you can get some soreness, especially around the injection area. Then, the actual results of ESIs vary. The major objective of ESI's is to reduce inflammation around the injured disc area hoping to allow time for healing. Most doctors will admit that ESI's are

not the cure all or given to eliminate the problem. In some milder cases, though it is enough to provide 'that' time of relief which is long enough to help the disc start to mend. There is tons of Information plus videos on ESI over on Spine-Health.

For myself, 6 ESI, none of them did anything to make a differnece.

Good luck

Chas, good luck on Dec. 4th. I hope your surgery goes well. The spa doesn't help much with my back pain but it does wonders for my mental wellbeing.

I second that thought. I wish you the best of luck Chas with your surgery and recovery. I thought my sciatic problem from a car accident years ago was bad. Sometimes it's good to hear what others go through to see how lucky you are. :)

I second that thought. I wish you the best of luck Chas with your surgery and recovery. I thought my sciatic problem from a car accident years ago was bad. Sometimes it's good to hear what others go through to see how lucky you are. :)

Oh isn't that the truth. My wife has had back pain with sciatica for fifteen years - it is a workers comp case, which means everything takes months to get done - but it is not something which an operation can help. So I love on her, and we keep the tub nice and clean, and I thank God that my surgeon seems confident that this surgery on Tuesday will put this behind me, pardon the pun.

And thanks to one and all for the kind thoughts and words. Go ahead and pray 'em if you got 'em, I'll take all the help I can get!

B)