New Cal Spas With Glue Strip Patch And Chip In Shell!

Hi! Just got my new Cal Spas Victory Xtreme VX748P. Upon arrival I noticed it had a raised strip of glue about 6 inches long, with a small chip in the shell at the bottom of the glue strip. The glue strip and chip are located inside near the bottom drain (have pics but dont know how to insert here). I contacted my dealer and they have been trying to see what Cal Spas will do, but I havent got an answer yet (1 week). I am concerned that this is a patch job of some sort, and feel they should replace it or refund my money. I spent thousands for a "new" spa and dont feel I should have to accept one with a repair job or defect. I am guessing that if this is covering a crack or bigger chip, it will get worse over time as temps freeze. Any thoughts? Should I insist on replacement or refund? Please give me your input. Thank you!

Hi! Just got my new Cal Spas Victory Xtreme VX748P. Upon arrival I noticed it had a raised strip of glue about 6 inches long, with a small chip in the shell at the bottom of the glue strip. The glue strip and chip are located inside near the bottom drain (have pics but dont know how to insert here). I contacted my dealer and they have been trying to see what Cal Spas will do, but I havent got an answer yet (1 week). I am concerned that this is a patch job of some sort, and feel they should replace it or refund my money. I spent thousands for a "new" spa and dont feel I should have to accept one with a repair job or defect. I am guessing that if this is covering a crack or bigger chip, it will get worse over time as temps freeze. Any thoughts? Should I insist on replacement or refund? Please give me your input. Thank you!

Why did you accept it?

I have seen the pics with the acrylic on his spa its tough to see it if you werent looking for it.

It appears that the the shell was too brittle when the whole for the bottom intake was drilled.

The dealer should take it back and replace it.

That should be the case but if the dealer is no good then it is a pain in the ass process bc Cal will want them to repair it so their is no RGA If the dealer pushes enough he can get the RGA where now Cal Spa will send the dealer a new spa sans cabinet, cover & equipment. The dealer does not send anything back to the factory.

Once the new skeleton shows up the dealer then has to swap out the equipment from the old tub to the new tub and put on the old skirting as well. This is Cal spas new procedure to make things run smoother for dealers.

That should be the case but if the dealer is no good then it is a pain in the ass process bc Cal will want them to repair it so their is no RGA If the dealer pushes enough he can get the RGA where now Cal Spa will send the dealer a new spa sans cabinet, cover & equipment. The dealer does not send anything back to the factory.

Once the new skeleton shows up the dealer then has to swap out the equipment from the old tub to the new tub and put on the old skirting as well. This is Cal spas new procedure to make things run smoother for dealers.

This process doesn't sound smooth at all...for the dealer or the customer.

sorry I forgot to put a sarcastic smiley on the end.

This process only helps in the fact that the dealer does not have to send the spa back first for evaluation before they can get another tub. its basically cheaper for Cal spas to ship out a spa one way then pay for 2.

Phone calls are OK, but putting something in writing --even via email --will help you get the manufacturer off their butts and help the dealer get your problem solved. Get photos and document the situation as much as possible. If by any chance you paid with a credit card, they can serve as leverage as well. Keep us posted. I hope they take care of you because its your money.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming. As far as the "why did I accept it?", I did not notice untill the guys were gone and water was in. The water seemed to make it show up better. I really dont want to mess around with a new shell being dropped in or any other kind of repair. I paid for a NEW item free of defects, and thats what I should get. I really just want a new one or my money back. I have a feeeling this is going to be a battle though. Any thoughts as to how to get my dealer and/or Cal Spas to do the right thing without a battle? I am already sensing some bad vibes from the dealer.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming. As far as the "why did I accept it?", I did not notice untill the guys were gone and water was in. The water seemed to make it show up better. I really dont want to mess around with a new shell being dropped in or any other kind of repair. I paid for a NEW item free of defects, and thats what I should get. I really just want a new one or my money back. I have a feeeling this is going to be a battle though. Any thoughts as to how to get my dealer and/or Cal Spas to do the right thing without a battle? I am already sensing some bad vibes from the dealer.

Read what it says about the defect. see if it says "new tub" or "repair tub". Let us know what it says.

As with any repair on a NEW item I think it should be priority...with reason. I wouldnt have to big an issue say if it were a pump or something a little smaller in the grand scheme of things but the shell is pretty big. I also would want a new tub for my money and wouldnt except anything less!! I know something like this reminds me of that saying...Once a car is wrecked, it just never seems the same. How did you pay for it? Credit card I would dispute the charge, if the check hasnt cleared I would stop payment and either ask for a new tub or my money back. Good luck! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Newbie:

Did you pay for the tub with a credit card???

If so, review your cardholder agreement to make sure you stay within all time requirements regarding a disputed charge. I think one of the reasons for a disputed charge in this case would be that the spa company did not deliver a new tub, but rather a repaired tub. They did not deliver the product you bargained for. READ YOUR CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT IMMEDIATELY.

If you don't have one, call your company and get one sent to you right away. I would not wait for the dealer and/or manufacturer to "do the right thing". Be ready to do what you must if they do not come through for you.

And regarding the rebuilding of your tub with a new "skeleton shell", I would never, ever accept that on a 1 week old tub. Again, you bought a new tub. Not a Dealer Refurbished tub! Way too many ways for the new "rebuilt" tub to have problems.

Just my thoughts on this.....

Rich

Thanks all for the replies. I paid by check and I'm sure it has gone through by now. Worse case scenario I take it to small claims, but I am hopefull it never goes that far. Has anyone here had a similiar situation with a defect right out of the gates, and if so, what did the dealer do? Sounds like manufactures and dealers do everything in their power not to get you a new tub. Any manufactures worse than others in this regard? What's Cal Spas reputation for customer service?

Any thoughts as to how to get my dealer and/or Cal Spas to do the right thing without a battle? I am already sensing some bad vibes from the dealer.

If I paid for a new tub and got a repaired factory second, I would not be happy either. Pleasant but firmly written letters the dealer, manufacturer, the BBB and any other consumer advocacy group will light a little fire without being too nasty. Also, don't assume they cashed the check. I would get to the bank first thing in the morning Monday and see if you can stop payment. If you can, then you have the leverage. Good luck.

I agree with JMendoza....PUT EVERYTHING YOU DO IN WRITING. If the dealer or manufacturer promises you something over the phone, immediately write a letter back to them confirming the conversation.

Phone calls mean very little when and if this issue has to be heard by a judge. It's a "he said/she said" situation. If you have written documentation of everything that has gone on, a judge or other fact finder will find those writings much more persuasive as to what was actually going on at each stage of the dispute. If you do get to a litigation setting, it will be so much easier if you have copies of letters that confirm what each party was promising at each stage of the negotiations.

Good luck with this.

Rich

I agree with JMendoza....PUT EVERYTHING YOU DO IN WRITING. If the dealer or manufacturer promises you something over the phone, immediately write a letter back to them confirming the conversation.

Phone calls mean very little when and if this issue has to be heard by a judge. It's a "he said/she said" situation. If you have written documentation of everything that has gone on, a judge or other fact finder will find those writings much more persuasive as to what was actually going on at each stage of the dispute. If you do get to a litigation setting, it will be so much easier if you have copies of letters that confirm what each party was promising at each stage of the negotiations.

Good luck with this.

Rich

Do this and Record your phone calls. that way you are on top of this at all times. you have something to go back on instead of your memory.

The dealer said via e-mail......."Photos and Quality Alert forms have been sent to Cal Spa. They will examine our pictures and return an RGA which will enable us to return the spa and get you a new one". The dealer also verbally promised me a new one at no charge yesterday in the showroom. He said it may take awhile, but he will get me a new one for sure, and I can use the current one till it comes in. I think they are trying here, and are themselves frustrated with Cal Spas policies regarding customer service. They said in all likelihood THEY will get stuck with the shipping charges of returning the tub. Doesnt seem right that the dealer eats it because of a defect that is from the manufacturer. At least it appears they are trying to do the right thing here with me. I am going to give them the benfit of the doubt now, since they have verbally and in writing, promised me a new tub. I still welcome input here, and it may help me in the future if I need legal representation. And yes, I am documenting EVERYTHING! Thanks for all the input!

The dealer said via e-mail......."Photos and Quality Alert forms have been sent to Cal Spa. They will examine our pictures and return an RGA which will enable us to return the spa and get you a new one". The dealer also verbally promised me a new one at no charge yesterday in the showroom. He said it may take awhile, but he will get me a new one for sure, and I can use the current one till it comes in. I think they are trying here, and are themselves frustrated with Cal Spas policies regarding customer service. They said in all likelihood THEY will get stuck with the shipping charges of returning the tub. Doesnt seem right that the dealer eats it because of a defect that is from the manufacturer. At least it appears they are trying to do the right thing here with me. I am going to give them the benfit of the doubt now, since they have verbally and in writing, promised me a new tub. I still welcome input here, and it may help me in the future if I need legal representation. And yes, I am documenting EVERYTHING! Thanks for all the input!

If it comes true? this is great news for you :D I'm very happy there are dealers still selling spas like yours is.

Let us know.

The dealer also verbally promised me a new one at no charge yesterday in the showroom. He said it may take awhile, but he will get me a new one for sure, and I can use the current one till it comes in.

Great news for you. I am not surprised that they decided to give you a new tub. Sometimes it takes a little communication to clear up what is actually going on. Any smart businessperson would want you to walk away satisifed after you plunk down your money. If they stiff people, they won't be in business long.

If you still have concerns, I would check at the bank see if you can hold the payment, then give the dealer a sizable down payment as a good faith measure until they replace the spa. In any case, keep on documenting everything in writing just to cover yourself. Good luck.

Great news for you. I am not surprised that they decided to give you a new tub. Sometimes it takes a little communication to clear up what is actually going on. Any smart businessperson would want you to walk away satisifed after you plunk down your money. If they stiff people, they won't be in business long.

If you still have concerns, I would check at the bank see if you can hold the payment, then give the dealer a sizable down payment as a good faith measure until they replace the spa. In any case, keep on documenting everything in writing just to cover yourself. Good luck.

I hesitate to cancel payment on the check (even if I could, its been 10 days, probably already went through), only because I don't want to give them any ammo against me. I do have a tub at my house albiet a defective one. I just want to play it safe. Good input though. We will see how this goes. Thanks!

I hesitate to cancel payment on the check (even if I could, its been 10 days, probably already went through), only because I don't want to give them any ammo against me. I do have a tub at my house albiet a defective one. I just want to play it safe. Good input though. We will see how this goes. Thanks!

I wouldn't hesitate if it were my check...but that is me. 10 days...you might be right, but I would find out for sure. As far as ammo...I wouldn't look at it that way. In my opinion there isnt anything they can say to you...you paid for a product with the assumption it would be defect free. One would think quality control would have caught your issue already, either by the manufacturer or the dealer. Maybe this practice would keep the manufacturer from having to ship more than once on a unit, instead its you that sits around waiting on it to be repaired/replaced. I would think this should be a benefit of going through dealer...guess $hit happen now it comes down to handling it...good luck!!!!

The saga continues......On Saturday, the owner of the Spa Company told me he would order me a new tub, and that I could use the old one till it came in, and they would simply swap them out at that point. He said it would take a few weeks, but that I would not have any down time. NOW TODAY, they say they want to pick up my tub immediatly to ship it back to Cal Spas and that a new one will come in 4 weeks or so. I am so mad. They are not keeping their word. I purchased a NEW tub! Why should I have to go without for at least another month. This wasnt some problem I experienced after owning the tub for awhile. It was defective on delivery. I e-mailed them and told them I want a refund. Should be intersting, because if they don't, I will take legal action, AND tell as many people as I can in this town to steer clear of Cal Spas and this dealer. This really makes me mad.....can you tell?