Spacap?

Private Shrink

I've had a traditional cover for the past year and a half, and of course it has gotten heavier. Our hot tub is indoors. I wonder about an air filled cover such as spacap. Anyone have experience with it? We don't have the room for a traditional cover lifter, so it has become a bit of a weight lifting experience.

I only have one thing to say. Air is absolutly the worst insulator in the world!

Do a search on this site and the other hot tub boards for some experiences with this product, not good.

Most insulation WORKS by trapping air in very small pockets. Air is only an insulator when it's contained in very small volumes.... like 1/4" or smaller. then it's a good insulator.

Any larger and it simply convects heat from the warmer side to the cooler side...At which point it is a terrible insulator.

Now I had to go google it and look. I'd agree.

Wonder where you store the thing when you're using the spa?

You simply fill it with helium and tether it to the spa. When you want to use it you unbuckle it and it floats above the spa, hovering and providing shade. When you're done with it you simply reel it in and buckle each corner. :D:wacko:

Anyone know the R value of helium ?

R is the inverse of thermal conductivity; Wikipedia gives the thermal conductivity of Helium as 0.1513 which gives R = 6.6

TC varies with temperature and I didn't bother to read the wiki that carefully but this is probably at STP. -_-

R-6.6? per inch? If so, hmmmmmmmmmmm, we could be onto something here :wacko:

Tom, I need a roll of the mylar you guys use to seal the foam cores of your covers. 40 or 50 layers seamed together (with the inner layers perferated), we might just have something! Can I heat seal that stuff, or does it need to be done with RF?