Infinity Owners

Wanna a tub

One more thing I see after examining the internal guts of this Infinity Sun Peak Spa.....

the 2 Pumps are not GE Pumps......they are made by Marathon Electric.....

Marathon Electric is part of the Regal Beloit family of companies.

I will discuss this with the Costco Buyer as well...

Lets see:

1. No high density foam insulation

2. No Master Massage Jet

3. 4.0kw heater instead of a 5.5kw heater

4. 2 Marathon Electric pumps instead of 2 GE Pumps

Something is not right here....Coscto & Infinty have some explaining to do...... I will investigate this further & let you know the results.....

I am not pissed but just want to know why the advertisement on Costco's website says one thing & Infinity Spa - Texas Division ( A.k.a. - Keys Backyard ) is shipping something else....

Jeff

San Diego, CA

Jeff,

You made me curious enough to take the front panel off the cabinet and look inside my Sunpeak. The whole tub and all of the hoses are covered with a sprayed on foam insulation. It's only about a half inch thick but it does cover everything inside the cabinet. The pumps both say 6hp but I couldn't see a brand name. Our controls says Balboa M-7 series, not Balboa VS series and, when I removed the cover, the heater says 5.5 kw. And we do have the master massage jet. We bought our Sunpeak last July 7th and it was delivered on 7/31. The address for Infinity Spas at that time was 2212 Buffalo Road in Johnson City, TN. The delivery guys told us that they picked it up in TN where it was manufactured - nothing was said about TX.

Sandi

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I jsut read in a trade mag recently that GE (pump division) sold to or bought Marathon Electric. This ring a bell with anyone else?

I found some information on the internet that states that there are some GE Motors made by Regal-Beloit which is part of Marathon Electric! The link below is where I found the info.

http://ebiz.regalbeloit.com/cwc/gerbc/gerespg.html

Sandi bought her spa in July 2007 when the Infinity Sun Peak was still being manufactured in Johnson City, TN... The specifications back then appear to be different then the way they are making them now in Garland, Texas. This Texas Division is the old Keys Backyard company...

Their quality control there in Garland seems to be in question....

Jennifer who has posted on this thread sent me a picture of her topside control panel...it is similar but different then the one I have...& our tubs arrived two days apart.....mine to San Diego & hers to Pennsylvania....

So my mind says, their quality control on the specifications for these tubs is in question....

I am not trying to stir up trouble amongst Infinity & Costco but would like to see some resolution as to consistency with their specifications to advertisement....

Costco will make it right in the end.....Costco is doing this company a favor by selling probably 300 to 500 of these tubs thru their website....cash infusion into this company of about 1.0M to 1.5M to a comapny that needs some cash flow.....

Costco will demand that their specifications be met or else they will drop their line....if customers start to return these tubs....

At this point, I just want Infinity to correct their problems with quality control & to fix my tub & others...

I had it delivered this past Tuesday & it is still dry at this time.....

Waiting for resolution.....

Still not a bad tub for the price.....

Jeff

Still not a bad tub for the price.....

Jeff

No one on here has ever said they were a bad tub....They are what they are, an inexpensive alternative to the higher end tubs that you have made some compromises to own.

1. No high density foam insulation

2. No Master Massage Jet

3. 4.0kw heater instead of a 5.5kw heater

4. 2 Marathon Electric pumps instead of 2 GE Pumps

I thought I posted to the whole forum, but since I don't see my response, maybe I just sent it to fiveofakind. We got our Sunpeak in late July 2007. It was manufactured in TN, not TX. It matches the Costco description:

sprayed on foam insulation about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick on the whole shell and all hoses.

master massage jet in the footwell.

5.5 kw heater - Our Balboa controls are the M-7 series, not the VS series.

2-6hp pumps (couldn't find the brand name).

I'm betting that fiveofakind's spa isn't an isolated case = sounds to me like they're making them differently in TX. Please let me know how things get resolved.

Sandi

Come on Roger......

There are those here in this forum that will forever bash the "Big Box Store" spas.

I live here in San Diego & have been to Caldera Spas ( Vista, CA ) & Cal Spas ( Pomona, CA ) & have seen their manufacturing process. I wet tested a Sundance Cheslee spa 2 weeks. I have to admit, it was a damn nice spa but not worth $9k.

If someone is looking for a spa with service after the sale, then buying from a dealer may be the way to go for them but they will pay the price for that.....

Us "Big Box Store" spa owners understand the concessions that are being made by buying the way that we do...

My whole point is that I expect to buy something based on an advertisement & have the manufacturer deliver to those specifications. I always expect to get what I paid for...Maybe that's asking too much sometimes...

Thank you.....

Jeff

Come on Roger......

There are those here in this forum that will forever bash the "Big Box Store" spas.

I am not sure I saw any bashing, simply stating, based on there experience, what there opinion is of the brand. Most consider a bad review of product "bashing" Any good review I have seen are based on a few weeks or months of ownership. I consider that useless.

Come on Roger......

I am not sure I saw any bashing, simply stating, based on there experience, what there opinion is of the brand. Most consider a bad review of product "bashing" Any good review I have seen are based on a few weeks or months of ownership. I consider that useless.

Fired up the Sun Peak Spa this evening....spent the last couple of days doing all the electrical myself with help from some friends.....working great.....I read all of the instructions on different modes & filtration cycles....it is currently set on Std Mode...with temp set to 100F...so spa is currently running continously until it reaches that temp....

The instructions I got from Laura Brown @ Infinity say to hit the temp button & then Jet 2 button ( the one closest to LED Panel ) to select filtration cycle....

However it does not seem to enter the F2, F4, F6. F8 or FC setup.....what am I doing wrong.....does the spa have to reach the set temp before entering a filtration cycle..????

I still want to pursue the issues with Infinity & Costco regarding the specs on spa....but it is running great & has plently of power....but I will keep in mind that it is only Day 1.........

I will keep you guys posted on the issues matter....

Jeff

Fired up the Sun Peak Spa this evening....spent the last couple of days doing all the electrical myself with help from some friends.....working great.....I read all of the instructions on different modes & filtration cycles....it is currently set on Std Mode...with temp set to 100F...so spa is currently running continously until it reaches that temp....

The instructions I got from Laura Brown @ Infinity say to hit the temp button & then Jet 2 button ( the one closest to LED Panel ) to select filtration cycle....

However it does not seem to enter the F2, F4, F6. F8 or FC setup.....what am I doing wrong.....does the spa have to reach the set temp before entering a filtration cycle..????

I still want to pursue the issues with Infinity & Costco regarding the specs on spa....but it is running great & has plently of power....but I will keep in mind that it is only Day 1.........

Jeff

Jeff-

We ordered our SunPeak in May... awaiting arrival AND reading your posts with great interest.

You are correct... whatever is posted as specs for an item LEGALLY must be given. I am sure Costco as you said - does not know..

But i am concerned about the quality control AND the change of locations.....???

I will be giving Infinity a call later... to see what they say...

I will let you know.

By the way... Are the other specs the same?? And is the control panel a Balboa.. like the others??

I hope this is not a case of "bait & switch"........ keep me posted - and i will advise as well.

thanks.

I called Marathon Electric this morning to inquire about the pumps....someone ( a customer support clerk I believe ) did indicate that they did buy G.E.'s small motors divsion.... I will confirm that with a more reliable source at Marathon thru a second phone call...

At this point, I am OK with the pump issue......This spa has plenty of raw power....Pump #1 is a 2 speed & Pump # 2 is a single speed.....When both pumps are set to high speed with the air diverter valves open...it is quite the whirlpool......owners will be happy.......# of jets is ideal as well...

Still want resolution or answers to other issues.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff:

Try hitting the Pump 1 button when changing the filteration cycle. Also, I have changed our tub to the economy mode. Many people have told me this can save money on your electric.

Jeff

Jeff:

Try hitting the Pump 1 button when changing the filteration cycle. Also, I have changed our tub to the economy mode. Many people have told me this can save money on your electric.

One must hit "Temp Up Button" & then "Pump # 1 Button" to access the Filitration Cycle" function ( at least on mine ). Other people have indicated it was the Pump #2 button which is closest to the LED Panel......not so in my case.....

Thanks Biz.....spa working great for right now.....

Jeff

well, here's my update:

infinity did send the chemicals they promised (for taking almost 7 weeks on shipping). There were 2 start up kits. (very nice ones in my opinion) I checked online as I was curious their value and I saw they sell for 40.99 each.

I'm still waiting on costco to tell me how much of a refund they're giving me (as they promised me last week due to the shipping fiasco). I was suppossed to hear back from them yesterday but nothing yet and when i call them i just get their voice mail.

I spoke with Jeanne at infinity today. I usually talk w/ laura but she wasn't available. I had alot of issues and I think they're handling them well. They offered a replacement tub, but I really don't want to wait another 7 weeks.

They're giving me $200 to make up for all the issues. My tub has scratches on 3 of the 4 top/sides as well as in the lounge. They're sending me an acrylic kit and once it arrives a tech will come out and fix it.

There is a hose that is not on completely as well as it's kinked very badly to where it's just about folded in half. They're sending a tech out to fix that.

She told me the insulation was changed from the foam to a material that is sprayed on and feels like a fiberglass finish & how costco never made the change in their ad. So i guess i got that...although i dont really see how that would work as a good insulator. I think it was Sandi that said her hoses were covered with foam as well. I wonder if I bought the foam in the can if that would void the warranty? I'll have to check with them on that. It's not important now as we're just entering summer but for winter I think i'd like to get some foam in there.

The master jet...same story that costco never changed their ad and how i could take that up with them. She said they were having problems w/ the master jets so they stopped putting them in and replaced it with a regular jet.

A few hours has passed since i talked with her and i just recieved an email stating they are going to send me 3 mini massage jets to make up for the master jet. So the 3 jets on the side where the master jet was to be...i can put these in their place or any other jet i want to put them in if i chose to. She said to pop each one out to replace it. Are these durable? Just dont want to pop one out to put the other in and break something.

I have to wait till the tech comes out to fix that hose before i can fill it. The electrician is to be out next week to wire it up. I'm hoping the tech person comes quickly.

I also mentioned how the bottom of it is scratched all the way acrossed (the wood area at the bottom). I told her I didn't want to knick pick about everything but considering I bought a "new" tub and not a used one it was another thing to add to the list. They're actually sending me paint!

well, here's my update:

infinity did send the chemicals they promised (for taking almost 7 weeks on shipping). There were 2 start up kits. (very nice ones in my opinion) I checked online as I was curious their value and I saw they sell for 40.99 each.

I'm still waiting on costco to tell me how much of a refund they're giving me (as they promised me last week due to the shipping fiasco). I was suppossed to hear back from them yesterday but nothing yet and when i call them i just get their voice mail.

I spoke with Jeanne at infinity today. I usually talk w/ laura but she wasn't available. I had alot of issues and I think they're handling them well. They offered a replacement tub, but I really don't want to wait another 7 weeks.

They're giving me $200 to make up for all the issues. My tub has scratches on 3 of the 4 top/sides as well as in the lounge. They're sending me an acrylic kit and once it arrives a tech will come out and fix it.

There is a hose that is not on completely as well as it's kinked very badly to where it's just about folded in half. They're sending a tech out to fix that.

She told me the insulation was changed from the foam to a material that is sprayed on and feels like a fiberglass finish & how costco never made the change in their ad. So i guess i got that...although i dont really see how that would work as a good insulator. I think it was Sandi that said her hoses were covered with foam as well. I wonder if I bought the foam in the can if that would void the warranty? I'll have to check with them on that. It's not important now as we're just entering summer but for winter I think i'd like to get some foam in there.

The master jet...same story that costco never changed their ad and how i could take that up with them. She said they were having problems w/ the master jets so they stopped putting them in and replaced it with a regular jet.

A few hours has passed since i talked with her and i just recieved an email stating they are going to send me 3 mini massage jets to make up for the master jet. So the 3 jets on the side where the master jet was to be...i can put these in their place or any other jet i want to put them in if i chose to. She said to pop each one out to replace it. Are these durable? Just dont want to pop one out to put the other in and break something.

I have to wait till the tech comes out to fix that hose before i can fill it. The electrician is to be out next week to wire it up. I'm hoping the tech person comes quickly.

I also mentioned how the bottom of it is scratched all the way acrossed (the wood area at the bottom). I told her I didn't want to knick pick about everything but considering I bought a "new" tub and not a used one it was another thing to add to the list. They're actually sending me paint!

Jennifer -

I am not sure if it is Costco that has changed the specs...

There seems to be several changes - since they moved the plant to texas.

What kind of heater did you get?? 4.0??

Did you see the tub from Jeff's pictures.... does yours look like his?

How about the control panel.. does it say Infinity??

My tub is awaiting delivery and i just put it on hold for now.. while i am waiting for Costco to call me back with some info..

For your info...

I placed my order on May 2 and they called me yesterday. - a little over 3 weeks for delivery!!

You might want to consider that info.... if you want a new tub.. i don't think it would be that long..

By the way... do you have any pics you can share??

thanks

spamom:

My heater is 5.5

Yes, i saw Jeff's pictures. We both are missing the master jet. The cover on his heater is different then mine...although he did get the 4.0 one so i guess that's why. His control panel is different than mine too. Mine says infinity spas on it.

Yeah, if I did accept a replacement tub I guess I could get lucky and it not take too long...but who knows what to expect. Even with waiting for a tech to come out...who knows how long that's going to take either. I guess either way it could be a waiting game.

Send me a pm with your email and i'll send my pics over. I tried to post them on here but not having any luck. I dont know what i'm doing wrong.

spamom:

My heater is 5.5

Yes, i saw Jeff's pictures. We both are missing the master jet. The cover on his heater is different then mine...although he did get the 4.0 one so i guess that's why. His control panel is different than mine too. Mine says infinity spas on it.

Yeah, if I did accept a replacement tub I guess I could get lucky and it not take too long...but who knows what to expect. Even with waiting for a tech to come out...who knows how long that's going to take either. I guess either way it could be a waiting game.

Send me a pm with your email and i'll send my pics over. I tried to post them on here but not having any luck. I dont know what i'm doing wrong.

What photos were these ones? The snapfish ones never opened for me....

Jennifer, where was your spa shipped from: Texas or TN Location....It will say on the shipping documents...( the papers attached to the spa )....

My Control System is a Balboa VS Series with a 4.0 heater......if your control system says Infinity Spas on it -- it is still a Balboa Control System but with a 5.0 kw heater in it...not bad

Customer Service at the Texas location indicated they are only shipping Sun Peak units with 4.0kw heaters......

Last summer, prior to Infinity buying Keys Backyard the spas were manufactured & shipped from Johnson City, TN with the control systems saying Infinity Spas on them with 5.0kw......

I dont know why my control system says Balboa VS Series on it but I am OK with it.... I noticed on my Balboa VS Series Control System that Pump #2 is connected to an expander board rather than to the main motherboard....

Whereas the control systems that say "Infinity Spas" on them, I noticed that Pump #1 & Pump #2 plug into the main motherboard....No big deal but I notice these differences.....Yes, that is the computer geek in me that is coming out.....

I asked Dave Creek (buyer ) at Costco for Infinity to send me a 5.0 kw heater & a master massage jet....I will follow up with Infinity on this....

I will evaluate this current spa for the next 4 weeks before making a decision to have spa replaced with a unit from TN rather than the Texas location...

Jeff

spamom:

My heater is 5.5

What photos were these ones? The snapfish ones never opened for me....

my photos. i never had any at snapfish...that was someone else.

Jennifer, where was your spa shipped from: Texas or TN Location....It will say on the shipping documents...( the papers attached to the spa )....

My Control System is a Balboa VS Series with a 4.0 heater......if your control system says Infinity Spas on it -- it is still a Balboa Control System but with a 5.0 kw heater in it...not bad

Customer Service at the Texas location indicated they are only shipping Sun Peak units with 4.0kw heaters......

Last summer, prior to Infinity buying Keys Backyard the spas were manufactured & shipped from Johnson City, TN with the control systems saying Infinity Spas on them with 5.0kw......

I dont know why my control system says Balboa VS Series on it but I am OK with it.... I noticed on my Balboa VS Series Control System that Pump #2 is connected to an expander board rather than to the main motherboard....

Whereas the control systems that say "Infinity Spas" on them, I noticed that Pump #1 & Pump #2 plug into the main motherboard....No big deal but I notice these differences.....Yes, that is the computer geek in me that is coming out.....

I asked Dave Creek (buyer ) at Costco for Infinity to send me a 5.0 kw heater & a master massage jet....I will follow up with Infinity on this....

I will evaluate this current spa for the next 4 weeks before making a decision to have spa replaced with a unit from TN rather than the Texas location...

Jeff

My tub was manufactured in TX although it did sit at the TN terminal for over a month.

I just posted in the other thread about the master massage jet. Jeanne at infinity told me if they sent that to me then i'd have to drill a larger hole in the tub because it is much larger then that regular jet. I'm getting 3 mini massage jets to make up for it. These ones have 14 ports in each one and will interchange w/ what's in there now. She also said they were having problems with the master jet so that's why they're not installing them anymore.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

I have been busy the past couple of days, but from what I have read, it sounds like there are 2 different tubs being made, 1 out of Tenn & 1 out of Texas. It appears though, that the tub out of Texas does not have some of the specs that are advertised by Costco. Is this a true statement?

I am going to take off my panel this weekend and try to confirm what type of heater, insulation, etc..that we have.

Thanks again, for all of your research.

I ordered my infinity sun peak on 5/4 it is coming today. I will keep you posted on my heater and foam as mine is coming from Texas not TN. I too live in California so not so wooried about the heater, but I am about the insulation. Anyone in CA knows PGE is god expensive and I want to maximize the heat I keep in there.

"Five" how hard is getting the chemicals right? What did you add to your spa I have heard just chlorine, then I have heard scale and ph +/- and a stick for the filter etc. everytime I do research or talk to someone they all say someting different.