Considering A 2005 Vita Rendezvous

tsand

Just returned from the local Vita Dealer. The Dealer/owner is selling his personal used Vita Rendezvous. The serial number, we were told, says the spa is 2 years old.

It was on the sales floor without water. We found out about the spa via CraigsList. We were quoted about 12,000 for this spa new.

This is what were were told:

The owner just purchased a new Rendezvous with all the water effects and stereo to replace his old tub.

The tub for sale has an acrylic liner, the fresh water misting system. ozone, silver purifier and Symphonic Wave seat. I did my best to inspect the tub as the dealer pointed out some shell bubbles in about 4-5 places. The largest bubble is about the size of a dime on the floor of the spa. One other bubble is near the large one half the size. The others are very small near one of the seat jets.

Everything else looks very clean. We took off the side covers and all looks in order from what I can tell. The Dealer's service manager was working with us and the tub is offered with a 90 day warranty which we negotiated to 1 year component/labor warranty. All of this was necessary as we were told that Vita will not transfer their lifetime shell/plumbing, 5 year parts and labor warranty to a second party.

The spa was not filled but we were offered that it be filled for wet testing if we wished. The service manager claims to stand behind his spa and offered to repair the bubbles free of charge prior to purchase.

We were impressed with the gentlemen that assisted us. They seemed very knowledgable and interested in getting us into the spa.

My questions:

What do you consider a reasonable price for this used spa that will include delivery, setup, initial chemicals, steps, brand new ez-up cover?

I am a bit hesitant because of the bubbles, but I think we should be covered by the initial fix and the 1 year warranty?

Would you consider this spa and if so at what fair price?

I am a bit hesitant because of the bubbles, but I think we should be covered by the initial fix and the 1 year warranty?

Would you consider this spa and if so at what fair price?

'tsand' , Hard too say without the dealers asking price. I don't like the bubbles either. It sounds like one heck of a nice tub though. $12k for a new hot tub seems mind boggleing to me, but then you know what I bought. If you're willing to spend $7K - $8K for the tub, you might want to keep looking for something new with a full warranty. You'll probably still be able to negotiate steps and other amenities. B)

In my humble opinion, I would be skeptical as to the prior ownership of this tub.

It would seem to me that the personal owner of the spa store, as a dealer, should be able to have the spa repaired or replaced under the warranty. (If the spa is in fact 2 years old.)

The "bubbles" that you refer to would be another matter of concern. If there is an bonding issue between the layers of acrylic and fiberglass in the tub, it could take years for those flaws to surface. (No pun intended.)

Walk away from the deal No Vita is worth 12,000. The fact that the tub has blisters after 2 years says quite a bit. The longer that tub stays empty the more blisters will show. If it was the owners tub he paid either nothing which means it was written off through the company or if bought they paid about 20%below cost as a perk. But the big picture is the hugely inflated $12,000 price tag and the blisters. IMO look for another tub

What is your location? Its the upgrades on the Rendezvous that up the cost. I sell my share of the Vita Rendezvous, but not at 12k. I agree about the bubbles, it does happen, but be skeptical!

We received a quote for $5000 plus 1 year warranty plus fix all 5 bubbles. This included steps, delivery, set up, first chemicals including the silver, plus brand new cover, old cover mechanism.

thanks to all for your comments

Sounds much better.... Get all that in print!

Thanks to everyone that posted. We decided to go with this SPA.

Here is what we got in print:

Vita Rendezvous with misting option 220

Acrylic liner

1 year warranty to cover components, plumbing and labor

Liner bubbles to be repaired but still cosmetically visible

New cover old cover mechanism

factor Ozone, (not UV ozone)

New Steps to match SPA panels

Start Up chemicals plus silver stick

Delivery and Set up without Electrician. Dealer will 2nd trip without charge as soon as the electrician shows up

$5000 plus tax

My Questions:

What should the bubble repair look like?

On a 10x12 area how shall we orient the tub to give access appropriate access for cover, service and electrical power? If we use the filters as a reference. Note that the Back and Left side have House walls. The right and front will have deck railing.

How would you run water to the misting system (summer only)?

What chemicals would you use CL or BR with this tub?

Congrats on the new spa! I can't answer most of your questions. but as far as locating the tub, I always try to think about servicability. If the tub ever needs service, you don't want it located in a way that requires the service guy to have to disconnect and move your tub to gain access to anything. When I placed my tub, I left at least 18" around all sides. For the most part, I tried to have 2' of space so that a service guy could work on the tub if necessary. In your case, I would put the tub just about 2' away from each of the walls of the house. Then, at worst, you might have to take down the deck railing to access something.

Also, try to put the filters and controls in a position that they are easy to access. You don't want to have to climb into your tub every time you need to pull a filter or adjust the controls.

Thoe are my opinions. Hopefully people that are more knowledgable than me will chime in and give you good advice.

Congrats on the new spa! I can't answer most of your questions. but as far as locating the tub, I always try to think about servicability. If the tub ever needs service, you don't want it located in a way that requires the service guy to have to disconnect and move your tub to gain access to anything. When I placed my tub, I left at least 18" around all sides. For the most part, I tried to have 2' of space so that a service guy could work on the tub if necessary. In your case, I would put the tub just about 2' away from each of the walls of the house. Then, at worst, you might have to take down the deck railing to access something.

Also, try to put the filters and controls in a position that they are easy to access. You don't want to have to climb into your tub every time you need to pull a filter or adjust the controls.

Thoe are my opinions. Hopefully people that are more knowledgable than me will chime in and give you good advice.

Delivered the tub today, the electrician will be back on Sunday and the dealer agreed to return for the set up.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Delivered the tub today, the electrician will be back on Sunday and the dealer agreed to return for the set up.

I will post pics tomorrow.

'tsand', Congrats on the new tub. Post those pics as you get them.