Has Calspa Stepped Up?

Bookedup

Good Day,

Does anyone have any recent experience with Cal Spa? I bought mine at the Canfield Fair (Ohio) this summer. There were about 4 vendors represented at the fair and I checked them all out. The first one was way out of my price range (almost 12K). Sorry, i don't recall the different vendors names. Of the other 3, CalSpa seemed the best deal to me. I checked price (of course) and warrenty. I also pulled up the company on the BBB and made sure they were kosher. I like to think I have an eye for quality, ie fit, finish, ect.

I've seen a lot of Cal bashing on the web but wanted to know if anyone has any recent experiences with them. The dealer I selected was local for me and came out delivered and installed my tub in a timely manner. There were no hidden charges. I asked him about Cals warranty and he said they recently improved upon it. I asked about if i needed it would they back it? He was honest and up front and said Cal doesn't pay for their trip charge and that has to be passed on to the customer.

My spa is the Victory Xtreme. It is 7X7 (perfect size for the two of us). The motor is made by GE. A couple of my goals with this tub was to stay within my budget but I wanted a tub that had "depth". This one is 39!/2" deep and i love that about it. I've read that this tub is an entry level tub and for my first tub, i am well pleased with it however, I am planning on beefing up the insulation somewhat. The cost was $4813 including delivery, set-up, hook up 220, cover and steps. I think I got a fair deal. Any body think otherwise? Just asking for opinions and anyone who has recent knowledge/experience with this company (CalSpa).

Any and all responses are appreciated.

Bookedup.

The only thing Cal improved on the warranty end was the warranty on the pump seals.

I dont agree with the "they dont cover the trip charge part" Cal pays $65 first hour and 35 afterthat. So the trip charge is covered. Dealers arent supposed to make money off warranty they made the money off the sale of the tub. The warranty pay outs are for the actual cost of doing the repair.

Bookedup, is there any reason you are asking these questions now? Are you having a problem with your spa? How long have you had it running and have you been enjoying it? If you think you got a fair deal and you are enjoying it, then savor the moment. Post some pics if you can. Those are always fun to see.

Good Day,

Does anyone have any recent experience with Cal Spa? I bought mine at the Canfield Fair (Ohio) this summer. There were about 4 vendors represented at the fair and I checked them all out. The first one was way out of my price range (almost 12K). Sorry, i don't recall the different vendors names. Of the other 3, CalSpa seemed the best deal to me. I checked price (of course) and warrenty. I also pulled up the company on the BBB and made sure they were kosher. I like to think I have an eye for quality, ie fit, finish, ect.

I've seen a lot of Cal bashing on the web but wanted to know if anyone has any recent experiences with them. The dealer I selected was local for me and came out delivered and installed my tub in a timely manner. There were no hidden charges. I asked him about Cals warranty and he said they recently improved upon it. I asked about if i needed it would they back it? He was honest and up front and said Cal doesn't pay for their trip charge and that has to be passed on to the customer.

My spa is the Victory Xtreme. It is 7X7 (perfect size for the two of us). The motor is made by GE. A couple of my goals with this tub was to stay within my budget but I wanted a tub that had "depth". This one is 39!/2" deep and i love that about it. I've read that this tub is an entry level tub and for my first tub, i am well pleased with it however, I am planning on beefing up the insulation somewhat. The cost was $4813 including delivery, set-up, hook up 220, cover and steps. I think I got a fair deal. Any body think otherwise? Just asking for opinions and anyone who has recent knowledge/experience with this company (CalSpa).

Any and all responses are appreciated.

Bookedup.

I have both older and a couple newer Cals I have been working with for a few years now. And IMO the older ones really had some problems with poor construction and lousy components. But the newer ones do seem to be better, only time will tell. I have replaced the GE motors and pumps on all 10-15 older units I have worked on and replaced pumps on with Starite/Waterway, less money, easier to get, last just as long. About 6 years ago I became married to a Cal that has cost it's owner about what you payed for your new one in repairs. At the time I married it, it was about 4 years old. He has now decided to not fix it anymore if it breaks again. IMO he should of made this decision a few years ago.

Again, the newer ones seem to have some improvments in quality yet longevity needs to be proven. We can only hope one leads to the other.

As it has been noted before here, Cal has a rep for not wanting to honor the warranty after the sale. About 2 weeks ago I was told by a appliance tech who was at my home that on his new Cal spa they would not honor the warranty on his motor that failed as he used 6 gauge wire and they are now calling for #4. I think any electrician here can tell you that on a 50 amp service on runs of less than 150ft #4 is not required by any code and it appears that is a just a way to create a loop hole for not honoring the warranty.

Thanks all for your prompt knowlwdgable replys. Pathfinder, I'll watch out for the warranty charge (I hope I don't need it). Tinybubbles. I had the tub installed on Sept 11th. I've been in it every day, sometimes three times a day. My favorite times are in the early morning with a cup of fresh ground columbian coffee and late at night under a sky full of stars with a different kind of beverage. Roger, thank you for your input also. I have had no complaints so far and hope it remains that way. I opened up the equipment compartment a week ago just to make sure I had no leakage (from transport, ect) all was fine. I have to tell you I did see a used (beat up) Cal in another dealer a week or so ago. It was a two person tub and it did look cheap. I woiuldn't own it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think I have an eye for quality and this tub seems substantial (for what I paid) although admittedly,

Yes, my tub is stamped August 07, so it's this years model. As far as the wiring, I noticed the book says one thing (6AWG) and the electrical box within the tub itself says something else (8AWG). In any event my dealer hooked up the electric for me when he delivered my tub so they BETTER warrenty it if they ever come to service it.

What it maybe is that the local dealer here and who he bought from may have added it to his store paper work but that was the out that was used for not covering a 3 month old motor. But than that would be odd since Cal pays the warranty.

Just to add a local electrician who does spa hook up for most of the local dealers here did say that #4 was being required but not for any genuine reason meaning it would not be for code nor for equipment requirements that call for 50 amps.

I have been repairing tubs for only 7 years and I can tell you first hand that CAL SPAS has stepped up their quality alot! Still problems with them, I know for customers, getting repairs where there's no one local doing them. It seems to me that they are making the efforts where they need to. I do gripe alot about getting sent the wrong parts from this company and many others out there in Cali...