Canadian Hot Tub Makers Must Be Hurting...

The fall of the US dollar must be creating some very hard times for Canadian hot tub makers such as Pacific and Arctic who export hot tubs to the US. The US customers are paying with yankee bucks that used to be worth 1.3 Canadian loonies or more but now only about 1.0. That's like a 30 percent cut in the price but the cost to make the tubs in Canada has probably actually increased over the same time period. This has to be putting some serious hurt on the hot tub export business to the United States.

On the other hand, American hot tub makers can now sell tubs in Canada for the same price as in the past and suddenly they are getting a lot more yankee bucks for the same tub...like a price raise! Or...they can CUT their prices to get more sales. What can the Canadian hot tub makers do about this? Well, the biggest thing they need to do is to be sure that they are getting as much market share in Canada as possible, since those sales are in Canadian dollars. Absolutely, they don't want Canadians going out and buying inexpensive American-made tubs at Costco. Is it any wonder, then, that we've seen four Canadian alleged hot tub buyers posting here in the last few weeks about allegedly buying American-made hot tubs at Costco, finding all sorts of alleged defects, and then returning them back to Costco and buying Canadian-made tubs?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fall of the US dollar must be creating some very hard times for Canadian hot tub makers such as Pacific and Arctic who export hot tubs to the US. The US customers are paying with yankee bucks that used to be worth 1.3 Canadian loonies or more but now only about 1.0. That's like a 30 percent cut in the price but the cost to make the tubs in Canada has probably actually increased over the same time period. This has to be putting some serious hurt on the hot tub export business to the United States.

On the other hand, American hot tub makers can now sell tubs in Canada for the same price as in the past and suddenly they are getting a lot more yankee bucks for the same tub...like a price raise! Or...they can CUT their prices to get more sales. What can the Canadian hot tub makers do about this? Well, the biggest thing they need to do is to be sure that they are getting as much market share in Canada as possible, since those sales are in Canadian dollars. Absolutely, they don't want Canadians going out and buying inexpensive American-made tubs at Costco. Is it any wonder, then, that we've seen four Canadian alleged hot tub buyers posting here in the last few weeks about allegedly buying American-made hot tubs at Costco, finding all sorts of alleged defects, and then returning them back to Costco and buying Canadian-made tubs?

So we're back to the idea that the customers with problem Costco spas must be fake owners but now we're gone to the Canadian Conspiracy theory. So now you've concluded that they all must be Canadian?

Maybe Michael Moore can film a documentary about it.

This thread should be killed!!!!!!!!!!!

If i lived in canada i would want a very well insulated tub. i would think a tub made in canada would be just that"well insulated" i can only imagin owning a sub insulated tub up there. it would cost a small forturne to run and no one would get one because of that.you would be out of buissness very fast.

NW I really think you should stick to things you know about than speculating on things you know nothing about. Taking Pacific for example, they only have a handful of dealers in the U.S. They are concentrating on securing their spot in the Canadian Market b4 trying to penetrate into the U.S. So the rise isnt that big of a deal. I know Beachcomber has expanded this year into the eastern seaboard more so I really dont think its affecting them a whole lot. Dealers that that carry US tubs are making maybe 2% more then they were this time last year. The reason for the small gain is that any gain is offset by freight charges. All dealers pay for freight in US dollars and US gas prices. With gas being so high any gain that would have come by the rise in the CND$ is offset. I cant speak for Arctic but Im sure Tom can shed some light on this issuefor his company.

Like we have all asked B4 NW what do you do since you claim to know so much!!!!

So we're back to the idea that the customers with problem Costco spas must be fake owners but now we're gone to the Canadian Conspiracy theory. So now you've concluded that they all must be Canadian?

I could see maybe 1 or 2 canadian costco buyers complaining about their tubs but four canadian buyers in less than 10 weeks coming to this forum, all with the same story is a little too much to believe. There are probably 10 of the same tubs sold in the U.S. for every tub sold in Canada, just based on the relative number of costco stores, and yet during the same period there wasn't a single american poster with anything even close to that story. Based on a 10x sales rate, there should have been 40 of the same 4-day stories (My-tub-broke, tell-me-here-how-to-fix-it, I-give-up, its-going-back-to-costco, golly-isn't-my-new-canadian-tub-great) by american buyers. The tubs all come from the same factory somewhere in Florida. If they are falling apart in Canada, they should be falling apart in the U.S. as well. No, the truth is that the tubs are NOT falling apart either here or in Canada but someone doesn't want to compete on price or features but just wants to use this forum to trash the tubs to help sales of their product.

I could see maybe 1 or 2 canadian costco buyers complaining about their tubs but four canadian buyers in less than 10 weeks coming to this forum, all with the same story is a little too much to believe. There are probably 10 of the same tubs sold in the U.S. for every tub sold in Canada, just based on the relative number of costco stores, and yet during the same period there wasn't a single american poster with anything even close to that story. Based on a 10x sales rate, there should have been 40 of the same 4-day stories (My-tub-broke, tell-me-here-how-to-fix-it, I-give-up, its-going-back-to-costco, golly-isn't-my-new-canadian-tub-great) by american buyers. The tubs all come from the same factory somewhere in Florida. If they are falling apart in Canada, they should be falling apart in the U.S. as well. No, the truth is that the tubs are NOT falling apart either here or in Canada but someone doesn't want to compete on price or features but just wants to use this forum to trash the tubs to help sales of their product.

There shipped farther

Blah blah blah blah blah I'm so smart cause I got the same tub from Costco for half the money blah blah blah....gawd this is getting old, and we gota wait like 4-5 more years for his to break down. I hope he sticks around till them. Replaced a pump and a heater in a 4 YO Hydro this week. The owners hope they get a couple more years outa it. I told them they might. Also put a new circ pump in a 9 YO D1 looks like new still, owner hopes he gets a few more years outa it. I told him he's good for 5-10 more if he can live with the old style and design.

But what do I know right NW I'm probably BSing and your the only one telling the truth. Whatever.

You just haven't had your break downs yet. It's only a matter of time.... Then you will see how dispicable it is to kick a guy when his hottub is down! Get a life!

Alternate theories:

1) More Canadians can read, so they look here.

2) More Canadians can write, so they post here.

3) NAFTA

4) Canadians are not currently distracted by the Britney Spears MTV Awards fiasco.

5) Canadians have to get their shopping, repairing, or replacing done before hockey season starts.

6) Global warming

7) Hydro sales are up in Canada due to the popularity of the new "Wayne Gretzky" model.

8) The Costco special - buy a spa, get free Tim Horton's donuts for a year!

9) They're not posting here due to the new Canadian sister site, www.poolspaforum,eh?.com

10) WMDs

The top 10 are all true :lol:

If you look at the last person on this forum that returned his spa from Costco he bought an Artesian which is an American made tub. For our unhappy poster their isnt a reputable dealer of the tub brand I carry in Edmonton so I would recommend a Beachcomber because they are leading flagship store of the brand or an Arctic since they are minutes away from the factory.

So take your conspiracy theories and do us all a favour and stop posting,go back to your office at Hydro and do some research on how to build a better spa.

I could see maybe 1 or 2 canadian costco buyers complaining about their tubs but four canadian buyers in less than 10 weeks coming to this forum, all with the same story is a little too much to believe.

If you search google for either, costco spa complaint, or, costco spa problem, this forum comes up as #1.

Two spa companies end partnership

Pool & Spa News, Oct 31, 2005 by Joshua Keim

Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers Inc. announced it has ended its partnership with Hydro Spa in Clearwater, Fla.

Since 1999, Hydro Spa has held a private label agreement with Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers. In late September, Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers terminated the relationship, citing "irreconcilable differences."

"We didn't see eye-to-eye with the direction we wanted to take the company," said Brad Tatum, CEO/president of Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers, a sister company of Tatum Manufacturing Inc. "We wanted to make certain advancements on the product. With Hydro Spas as our manufacturer, we were unable to do that."

LINK: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

ANOTHER LINK: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/storie.../14/story4.html

...Go ahead and flame away ...You just haven't had your break downs yet. It's only a matter of time .... Then you will see how dispicable it is to kick a guy when his hottub is down! Get a life!

Actually, the flaming is coming from you. Your story is phony on several levels, including your 'flaming.' You say your hydrospa tub is "shyt" but you have only reported two problems (so far), a leak several weeks ago that was allegedly fixed under warranty and a leak from the bottom of your tub that allegedly occurred only a few days ago. The installation shown in the photos that you posted is obviously a temporary one. Even you admit that you put the tub on wooden planks. You are obviously female, based on your comments, yet your first post had references to your "wife" ("My wife called up Platinum (hyrdospa)..."). Just tell us which store you took the tub back to. I suspect your tub is the same tub that one of your predecessors used here a few weeks ago.

Two spa companies end partnership

Pool & Spa News, Oct 31, 2005 by Joshua Keim

Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers Inc. announced it has ended its partnership with Hydro Spa in Clearwater, Fla.

Since 1999, Hydro Spa has held a private label agreement with Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers. In late September, Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers terminated the relationship, citing "irreconcilable differences."

"We didn't see eye-to-eye with the direction we wanted to take the company," said Brad Tatum, CEO/president of Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers, a sister company of Tatum Manufacturing Inc. "We wanted to make certain advancements on the product. With Hydro Spas as our manufacturer, we were unable to do that."

LINK: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

ANOTHER LINK: http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/storie.../14/story4.html

Interesting that you would want to post this. As far as I can see, this is a story from TWO YEARS AGO about two companies ending a private-label manufacturing agreement. These kinds of agreements are started and ended every day between all sorts of companies. Do you think Mattel makes their own toys? I've never even heard of Gulf Coast spas and their beginning or ending of a manufacturing relationship two years ago with Hydrospa doesn't seem to be of any significance to me. But it obviously does to you. Why???

Alternate theories:

1) More Canadians can read, so they look here.

2) More Canadians can write, so they post here.

3) NAFTA

4) Canadians are not currently distracted by the Britney Spears MTV Awards fiasco.

5) Canadians have to get their shopping, repairing, or replacing done before hockey season starts.

6) Global warming

7) Hydro sales are up in Canada due to the popularity of the new "Wayne Gretzky" model.

8) The Costco special - buy a spa, get free Tim Horton's donuts for a year!

9) They're not posting here due to the new Canadian sister site, www.poolspaforum,eh?.com

10) WMDs

You could have advanced the theory that only Canadians complain while Americans just suffer silently. <laugh> Right. Where were all of the complaints by Americans? There weren't any, although now we'll probably see a spate of american newbies all posting their phony 'complaints.' But the fact is that there were FOUR canadian complainers, all telling the exact same story, all with the paucity of details about their problems, but all emphasizing with dozens of posts that they were returning their tub to Costco and buying, or thinking of buying, one of those high-quality Canadian-made tubs. During that 10-week time period, there was not even one complaint by an american buyer, even though Costco had to be selling many times more tubs in the U.S. than in Canada. It's obvious to me that one of the Canadian tub makers is underwriting a phony astroturf campaign here.

Blah blah blah blah blah I'm so smart cause I got the same tub from Costco for half the money blah blah blah....gawd this is getting old, and we gota wait like 4-5 more years for his to break down. I hope he sticks around till them. Replaced a pump and a heater in a 4 YO Hydro this week. The owners hope they get a couple more years outa it. I told them they might. Also put a new circ pump in a 9 YO D1 looks like new still, owner hopes he gets a few more years outa it. I told him he's good for 5-10 more if he can live with the old style and design.

But what do I know right NW I'm probably BSing and your the only one telling the truth. Whatever.

I wouldn't hire you to change a light bulb, much less a hot tub heater, based on what you say here. I don't think you even know what a hydrospa tub looks like. Weren't you the one posting here a few weeks ago that Sam's club was selling hydrospa tubs? Not surprising that you think a brand new heater and pump that you personally selected and installed "might" last two years. What do you think will happen to it? Wait let me guess. I know, the 'cheap flashy hydrospa controller' will overload the pump, right?

On the other hand, American hot tub makers can now sell tubs in Canada for the same price as in the past and suddenly they are getting a lot more yankee bucks for the same tub...like a price raise!

I disagree with this part. I've heard that the war is making exporting to Canada almost impossible.

Costco in Canada is apparently selling hydrospa tubs made in Florida so exporting to Canada is not impossible or even almost impossible.

I wouldn't hire you to change a light bulb, much less a hot tub heater, based on what you say here. I don't think you even know what a hydrospa tub looks like. Weren't you the one posting here a few weeks ago that Sam's club was selling hydrospa tubs? Not surprising that you think a brand new heater and pump that you personally selected and installed "might" last two years. What do you think will happen to it? Wait let me guess. I know, the 'cheap flashy hydrospa controller' will overload the pump, right?

Acualy no, the frame is cheap and is deteriorating quickly, The hose and jets are getting brittle and also deteriorating. I have already fixed a few leaks in air lines and PVC. The controller will be next along with a few other things, and it's an energy hog, it will no longer be cost effective to fix. And I wouldn't even consider working for a guy like you as you probably won't pay because your so cheap. You seem like the kinda guy who would renig on any contract to save a buck. Besides I have more work than I want or need since our Hydrospa dealer went out of business, And when I dospose of it for them I will take the pump out and resell it as used.

I actualy think it's hilarious that you alone stand up for the Hydrospa brand when all others who are more educated and more open to there livleyhoods put them where they belong. And I also know that no matter what I do or say or anyone else, there's no convincing you of the mediorcacy of the brand you purchased so who cares. It's the same as a 10,000 dollar tub. You keep saying that pal. It'll help in a few years.

We have a new Jim....LOL

On the other hand, American hot tub makers can now sell tubs in Canada for the same price as in the past and suddenly they are getting a lot more yankee bucks for the same tub...like a price raise!

I disagree with this part. I've heard that the war is making exporting to Canada almost impossible.

Costco in Canada is apparently selling hydrospa tubs made in Florida so exporting to Canada is not impossible or even almost impossible.

Sorry,. As Phil Hartman playing Ed McMahon used to say on SNL, "It was an old reference lost on younger viewers, sir."

Shut your hole NW. You conspiracy theory creep! Go ahead and flame away you peon. Your hydro tub and my hydro tub are shyt! You just haven't had your break downs yet. It's only a matter of time till your craptastic tub shyts the bed as well. Then you will see how dispicable it is to kick a guy when his hottub is down! Get a life!

Actually, the flaming is coming from you. Your story is phony on several levels, including your 'flaming.' You say your hydrospa tub is "shyt" but you have only reported two problems (so far), a leak several weeks ago that was allegedly fixed under warranty and a leak from the bottom of your tub that allegedly occurred only a few days ago. The installation shown in the photos that you posted is obviously a temporary one. Even you admit that you put the tub on wooden planks. You are obviously female, based on your comments, yet your first post had references to your "wife" ("My wife called up Platinum (hyrdospa)..."). Just tell us which store you took the tub back to. I suspect your tub is the same tub that one of your predecessors used here a few weeks ago.

You are so far off base on your theory and deduction that I feel sorry for you. How can you look yourself in the mirror and be proud of yourself? CallinG other people phony's when you are the phony!

SHOW ME SOME PICTURES OF YOUR SPA YOU HIPPOCRITE!! SHOW US SOME PROOF YOUR ARE FOR REAL, YOU BLOWHARD! SHOW US SOMETHING YOU CREEP!